Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    No I'm not in a running club put think of joing purple patch- or biting the bullet and joing my local one....... Their website suggests they're friendly but i'm just a bit of a wimp and scared to goon my own image
  • Options
    lmao.. that would be 2 of us then... despite encouraging kids/OH's to not be soft and saying 'dont worry theyre not going to ignore you' when truth is we're scared they might.. and that we'll be the crappiest runners to boot and get laughed out of there!! image None of my friends run, would be easier if they did...... lol... one day Il choose music and a hobby that at least ONE of my friends share..image
  • Options

Vik- I'm in Purple Patch. I don't have time to commit to a "proper" running club with training sessions etc.  I run because it is flexible.  Having said all that, you are fairly local to me, so if you want to try and meet somewhere for a run one weekend, mail me via FB. I know you work shifts so between us it could be a challenge to sort out!!

Still can't walk properly after Sunday btw, might try and go for a very slow plod in the morning.....image

• Options
    I joined my local running club and it was the best thing I ever did as far as running was concerned! It pushes you harder than running by yourself and you tend to make more of an effort to get out there.
    I think it's also good to support your local club even if you don't go very often. It only costs a few quid more too. Just my opinion! image
  • Options

Hi All

Well done all competitors from Sunday. Well impressed with tough guy,

I'm not in a running club either nearest one being 20 minute drive away rules it out for me.

Someone mentioned gels -  on a twenty mile run I take four, one just before I start and then every 5 miles, not the nicest of things but they do get easier to stomach.  I do think they help but I do struggle to eat afterwards which is unlike me.

Well I purchased the new Nike Lunarglide+ trainers and took them out for an outing tonight I really really recommend them.

• Options

I've thought about joining my local running club but enjoy running by myself with just my mp3 player for company! Saying that I will give it a go one day as I'm sure, as you say FW, it can only improve your running.

Started my 12wk training plan today for Cardiff Half on 18/10, feels good to have something to aim for!image  

• Options

I've only been to local club once FE and it was with my running partner - am still too scared to go back on my own so am waiting until we can go together again.  They were all really friendly though, I'm just a bit scared of the weekly mileage they discuss.............. Agree with FW about being pushed though - my one experience a few weeks ago made me work MUCH harder than normal! Well done on your 9miler btw!

Glad your new trainers are comfortable DC - on similar theme, do you (or anybody else) know how often trainers ought to be renewed?  Am sure the man in the shop gave me a 'change evey xxx miles' speech but I was so freaked out by being made to run on a treadmill in front of everybody that I'm afraid to say I 'yes, yes'd ' him in my rush to get paid and out the shop image

Glad that your knee not hurting today SB, hopefully it's on the mend now?!

Good luck with the training Richie - my running friend and I were saying on Sunday how quickly the twelve or so weeks between signing up to down tow and it happening went by!

Foxy - I still ache too, am also *thinking* about going for a very slow jog/limp tomorrow but may put it off until the day after........  I'm calling it recovery but if 've I have still not gone out by the end of the week it will be more like laziness on my part!

• Options
    Snaily- 400-500 miles is the magic number and in theory you should change your sports bra 3 times during the lifetime of a pair of trainers apparently. But that's another story!
  • Options

I want them Darren I'm so very jealous!!!!!!!!! I'm green with envy  image

Might have to purchase them on payday (although I know if I wait until I go to the states they'll be cheaper but don't think i can wait)

• Options
    VikW - Look at sportsdirect.com £20.00 off.  Really impressed with them.
  • Options

Morning Guys....image

Hmph... Lunarglide+...... image Yep that would be me jealous too.... cept... will never be able to get a pair as feet too small... hmph... will have to stick with my Pegasus 25+ and Zoom and hope that they start to make them in a 2.5 in the near future.. hahaha.. or my feet grow to a 4 overnight!!!!!! image

R68.. Fab starting the training Plan, is it one of here, mine is and its working fab for me althou Im on week 10 and have been hmming and ahhing where to go from there... as it will leave me 4 weeks til half Marathon.... started it too soon... well.. maybe not too soon but condensed it into 12wks instead of 16!!! image

DC3, it was me... HELLO image *waves* What make of gels do you use??

Running Clubs.. I reckon they do push you harder but like the majority of you, work and family commitments make it difficult to run at a set time each week.... feel better now that Im in the 'Majority' not 'Minority'... just getting a panic on that most people doing the HM in Sept would be members of Clubs!!! image

RS.. Its better that you get out for easy run ASAP.. something called Active Recovery.. I know it well image, its been drilled into me big time when first started! Cant say I enjoy it tho!! and lol.. imagethe treadmill in the store freaked me too... so much so, bought trainers online, and decided I would buy running shoes from instore when I could actually run, then wouldnt look half as bad on treddie!! Things we do... daft!!

• Options

Morning all, drizzliing here image waiting to hear if stepson is going gliding (birthday present) as we are supposed to be going to watch but not looking good so far.

A 5 miler to fit in later.....

Hope the injuries are healing Toughguy and that you enjoyed NI. Did you partake of the Guiness while you were there? Can't stand the stuff myself.

Sally i'm impressed you got your OH ironing. And it's so depressing to lose fitness isn't it. I'm worried with a trip to the IOW planned and 2 weeks cruising i will need cast iron determination and willpower to keep to the schedule. Else you will all laugh at the 4 parks. Glad your knee is holding up.

BUT I HAVE GOT MY ZIPS DONE UP! Hurrah! image

Fairy well done for being sensible, it is tempting to push too hard i know. I ended up going out twice yesterday, with the club then Mr T wanted to run too so i did extra. felt good so no problem but easy to do too much. Although i'm in a club i don't go very often. by the time i drive over to where they meet i would have my run done so i only get there occasionally. it's nice to wear a club vest for races tho and to recognise people as well.

Vikki ditto what Foxy says, especially at the end of the year when we're doing those 20 milers image

Sorry you are still having trouble walking Foxy, good luck with the new training plan tho! I still haven't read the book. it was going to be my entertainment today between gliding watching.

Woo new trainers DC3 image with envy. I think i need new ones soon, i may need a different model with the increased mileage image Gels sound a good idea, the running club lady also said that over about 10 miles i should be taking a sports drink rather than just water, lucozade sport being recommended. What do you drink? or do you do gels and water?

Hello Richie, your Half is the week before the 4 parks. i agree with you as it happens, i enjoy my own company and my i-pod most of the time. I get to listen to what i want to hear instead of THLs tripe image

Snail i think you need to change your name to whippet with your time! And yes, i believe 500 miles is the time to change trainers too. Rats, i have a bit longer to go then. but then again.........

Fairy, how can you be an elephant with size 2.5 feet???????????????

• Options

Good morning all,

I'm still on the 'running clubs are best' side. With my new job I'm very rarely home on club run nights but there's the occasionalt time when I am here and it's so worth going down for a plod. For me personally I find it difficult to run at more of a training pace so it gives me more discipline. The day before TG I went out for 3 miles to test my knee out. Aimed for 9:30's and ended up doing 8:40's. I'm useless!

Each to their own though I guess. image

Working from home again today. Got a few things to sort out for the customer in Ireland from yesterday. Nearly Friday shopping day! Might buy some Lunaglides! image

• Options
    Julia T wrote (see)
    Hope the injuries are healing Toughguy and that you enjoyed NI. Did you partake of the Guiness while you were there? Can't stand the stuff myself.

I hardly ever drink anything JT. One vodka and orange and I'm bladdered! Anyone want to share a bottle with me? image

Injuries are fine thanks. I'll try another 3 miler later to test my knee again. Fluid on the elbow has gone now. Cuts are healing OK.

NI was a mad rush in the end. Managed to finish work 10 mins before my taxi arrived to take me back to the airport. Got little things still to do but I can do them remotely from my house. Hence the 'working' from home. I'm not still in bed drinking tea and watching tv. Honest.

• Options

Even though I'm new to the whole running club experience and I also have the whole job and children issues that others have... it is definately helping my motivation - but I guess I'm one of those people that needs to know that'll be pushed to 'do the extra mile' -

Anyway I guess we're all different, I'd rather try and fit it in and know i'm doing a really worthwhile run - guess I need to find some self-motivation?! image

• Options

Morning everyone.

Well FE- I did as you prescribed and got out for some active recovery running. According to the HR guru bloke I should be keeping my HR below 155 for this.  My HR always goes sky high initially so the first .75 mile was more of a run/walk to keep the rate down which was probably a good warm-up; thereafter I managed to keep it in the zone no problem- limbs and lungs were no way capable of anything speedy, altho' looking at the mile splits I did gradually pick up the pace as the legs eased out a bit.

Done some serious stretching and may get out on bike later, weather permitting, then a sports massage tomorrow.

So get out there Snaily!

Hope your HL gets his gliding in, but not sure today's the weather for it, JT and a big woohoooimage well done on the zips!  The 5/runs/week is paying off.

FW- have you tried to run yet? How are the injuries? And if you set your garmin up properly, you'd sort your pacing out!!!

And I too need new trainers but must try and move over to the dark side and find some Mizunos that I like as I have an angle on some cheap ones!

• Options

We could be Team GULP - sponsored by Lunaglide. image

FL - I do look at my watch when I'm running (a LOT) but Ikeep thinking to myself 'this feels like a nice pace' so keep going at it! Self-discipline issues!I need a Run Fatboy Run type person riding on a bike behind me slapping me across the bum with a spatula if I go too quickly! image
    (although preferrably someone more attractive than that Asian guy...)

• Options

Morning all, no running for me today but will be in swimming pool by 12. 

Got my 12wk schedule from RW mag (aug)  FE, bin looking thru it and end of wk 9 has a 100-110min run, my longest run up to now has only bin 70mins! image  

Sure weeks will countdown quickly before race RS, got lot happening in between as well, starting new job next week  & wifes due beginning of sept ! May mean I get out running earlier in mornings!

• Options
    Go for a 2am run Richie while the missus is feeding the baby! image
  • Options

During my lunch break *ahem* I managed to find some random persons photos of their TG experience. It might give you a slightly better idea of exactly what was going on. Although it doesn't include the 'good' bits like long, narrow concrete tunnels, barbed wire and the very steep rabbit hills!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debzlucy/sets/72157621876478920/

• Options

Lunch break eh FW?

Any biscuit breaks?

Today I am mostly having a hoover break!image

Oh and Good Luck with the baby HL Richie!

• Options

Actually yes a lunch break! I've actually been remotely logged into the customer in Ireland this afternoon and made a phone call to myself from over there which was quite bizarre!

Today I am mostly eating Fox's Creams and chocolate digestives. Not good at all! Could just eat some mars bar cake...

• Options

IS there such a thing as Mars Bar Cake or are you challengng the Gulp Bakers to invent oneimage?

(heads off to Google).....

• Options
    Looks nice but not as good as my friend's. She's a right whizz!
  • Options
    Mars bar cake is fab! Mine doesn't look like that one thou! More like a fridge cake - Very healthy image
  • Options

So on the menu for Royal4parks post HM picnic:

Mars Bar Cake, (how come I've never heard of it before?)

other suggestions (apart from FW doesn't like chocolate brownies)?

• Options

What's a fridge cake?!

On the menu should be lots of wine and lucozade! Although not together in the same glass...

• Options

A fridge cake is one you "cook" in the fridge rather than the oven, ie it has to set.

I have just found a Nigella Mars Bar cake (so that'll be healthy then) which looks rather yummy. May have to practice first. By the looks of things, if you haven't puked on completion of the HM, this'll do it for you. image

With regards to 4parks- is anyone bringing supporters or will we be entrusting our wine/lucozade cocktails and tins of baked goods to the left luggage?

If we're planning a picnic, let's hope it's summer by then!image

Thought vodka and lucozade was your tipple FW?image

• Options

I used to make mars bar cakes all the time with the kids when I was a youth worker..... they are yummy!!!!

I'm bringing OH and think my parents are ciming down- I was going to leave all my goodies with them- or infact get mum to make them or is that too cheeky?

Managed 5 miler with intervals this morning!  Have my LSR OH is going for a meeting in Ealing so i'm getting alift there and running home!  9miler unless of course I get lost which mighth well happen 'cos I have a c*&p sense of direction so if i'm not posting tomorrow you know whats happened image