Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    Tiddly on a Weds- I'm impressed image
    Loving the thought of B&T telling her legs offf
    The tidying has started- fed up with both playmobil and sylvanian families so off for a bath now
    Managed to squeeze in my usual 2.5 whilst kids swam

34.05/70
  • Options

B&T there's a beer tent at the fete. That should do it!

Lovely running morning and only an easy 4 according to plan- yay,  I'm actually doing less than I was before at the moment.  Managed the dreaded intervals yesterday, even though I went out thinking 6 sets and it was 10!  Deranged woman!  Went well though.

Managing to keep to plan so far (first week). Involves 5 runs a week plus I am trying to get up my gym to continue the core and upper body work I started last year, going as well, partly because my back cannot cope otherwise, partly because it will soon be crop top weather again imageimage and you need abs to get a permit to wear one!

Just written out next week's, rather than face the hoover!  And no must go buy my iphone some toys.  Good luck with the viewing SS.
    Mel- should have entered sooner, there will be dodgy places nearer the time, one of mine is under an assumed name!

Toby- be sensible.

Wave to the rest.

• Options

Toby - good idea about the stretching at half way point. I think as my long runs get longer I might try that.

AH - loving that you can get carried away with tapering! Hope your head was okay. 

Sal - hope you managed to herd all the Sylvanian familes & Playmobile into an appropriate box / cupboard. When we were trying to sell our house, I frequently used to load the car up with 'stuff' I couldn't find a home for! Hope the viewing goes well.

FL - Have mentioned it to Mr B&T - we'll see ..... Well done on the intervals. Running 5 times a week PLUS gym - eek!! I fear I will never get a permit for a crop top - at the moment even the charity vest is showing off too much! I did manage 5 mins of my 'Abs' DVD (its only 10 mins long) and I can't cough today my stomach muscles are too sore. Guess that means its doing something????!!!

Made it out for my last run of week 2 this morning. Managed to NOT go straight from bus stop, which often means I get side tracked back at home, and either end up running on empty at lunch time, or don't go at all. However was very good ang went out at 9.30 ish when my porridge had gone down properly.

Got to mile 1 and my shins started hurting again. image Not drastically, but uncomfortably. Stopped, gave them a little rub again, and an encouraging chat (suddenly realised I was talking out loud to my legs - thank heavens I was in the middle of nowhere with no one to hear!) and set off again. promised myself that if I got to 2mile point and they were still sore, I'd head back. Tried very hard to relax my legs, not hit the ground too heavily etc. Magically at the 2 mile point I realised they felt fine, and I pressed on and did my 7.3M run with no problems.

Do you think its a warming up problem (i.e I need to do more?) Or should I be loooking for new shoes, maybe the cushioning is wearing out on these? Or maybe I'm just so tense when I set out its affecting how I run (I am VERY conscious of my schedule!)  Another poster on a VLM thread has has shin splints this week, so maybe I've just got sympathetic pains!

Beautiful day to be out today though - even saw 2 swans on our village duck pond when I got back! Stopping to take photos must have messed up my times though!

• Options
    /members/images/502743/Gallery/slowrunningmedal.jpg

Picture of the day - shamelessly pinched from Innocent Smoothies / facebook image
  • Options

Could be warning of dreaded shin splints- this time of year mostly road running; how many miles on the trainers B&T. How many pairs do you have going at worse, advice is 2 and alternate esp if running more frequently.

Parkrun tomorrow (def) as giving my bbsitter a lift there.  And just maybe a x-c race in the afternoon but sounds a bit dull as laps of a field! See how I feel. Only 6k I think.

• Options

FL - hmmm, sadly you could be right about the shin splints. (Not sad that you're right, but you know what I mean!) Been googling it, and its sounds just like it, even to the point that in mild cases / at the onset of shin splints the pain can go away after the muscles are warmed up - exactly what has happened.

Shoes have nearly 350 miles on them, and last pair only lasted 350 so have been looking for a new pair. Typically it looks like they've stopped making the style I've had 3 pairs of. Argh!!

• Options

Afternoon all

Well went for a run on Friday as my knee never felt too bad but i only got 3 miles into the 12 and had to turn around and hobble home i now have an appointment with the doctors on Tuesday

So at this point i don’t know whether to deferrer both Bath and Brighton now till next year i will probably wait to see what the doctor has to say on Tuesday before making up my mind

• Options
    Hi All image

Such a busy week with work, I haven't managed a run! Hoping to get out tonight!! image
  • Options

Hi All,

Toby & B&T image,  Have you had your gait checked lately, if not maybe worth it mine had changed. 

First run since Thursday today and that was just 7.5 miles,  will run 8-10 Monday and about 6 on Thursday and that will be it for me untill Sunday.

• Options

Toby - oh no! Great that you've got a Drs appointment so quickly - hope he / she can tell you what it is, and how to 'fix' it. Fingers crossed for you image

Claire - busy times! Hope you have a good run tonight.

AH - nice tapering going on there - bet it feels like no running at all for you! Haven't had my gait checked since I got my first pair of running shoe, but then the only problem I've had has been when my shoes were worn out and needed replacing.

I was searching and searching for another pair of the Brooks vapor 8s I've been wearing, but couldn't find any. Nor Vapor 9s, nor 10s ..... So I very cheekily popped into the running shop in Bath yesterday, to ask if they knew why I couldn't fidn any. helpful man said they thought they'd been discontinue, and they were noww stocking Brook Ravenna as a direct replacement, starting at £90. I had the children with me, and the shop was very busy so I said I'd leave it for now and maybe comeback when it was quieter.

Sat on the sofa last night with glass of wine and laptop, and found Sweatshop have them for £60. So I've emailed them to ask if they *are* a replacement for the Vapor, if they'd do a discount for buying 2 pairs and if the 14 day exchange guarantee applies if they've been used outside! Fingers crossed I get a good answer, otherwise I'll be back at the local running shop falling off the treadmill again!

Sat with my legs up last night, ice pack on my shins, hoping it will do some good. No running this weekend, and I shall try and find some grassy runs this week! Fingers crossed again that new shoes will solve the problem!!

• Options
    Oh dear B&T and Toby -image hope you heal quickly
    No exercise all weekend but fab trip to London image
    Eldest made her debut for Harriers and thoroughly enjoyed herself- v muddy trainers !
    Will start the week with my core class tonight
  • Options

Cold and frosty 3 miles done this morning. Grassy route was a failure as, to quote the carol it was 'earth as hard as iron'! Good news is my shins felt fineimage

Sweatshop can't confirm the 'replacement' shoes are the same fit as the old ones, so I'm screwing up my courage to phone the local running shop for some gait analysis. Last time, when I got my first ever pair of running shoes, was also my first time on a treadmill. Nearly fell off, and ended up running with the woman at my side, arms out to catch me if I fell off. Sometimes |I just don't think I'm cut out for this running lark!!

• Options

Update! Phoned the running shop, explained what I was after. They actually had a pair of Vapors in my size. However said I'd only got 350 miles out of the last 2 pairs of them, so lady is going to order some other shoes that might suit, in my size, and I've an appointment with the treadmill next Monday.

Would have liked to get sorted sooner, but that's what you get  when you go to a little shop that doesn't hold an enormous amount of stock. Plus side is I have absolute faith that she will only sell me shoes that she believes will fit okay - that's what you get at an independent shop!image

• Options

Well to my shame i have been feeling a bit sorry what with the knee and work after putting in a load of extra hours i shot myself in the foot because there’s no way they’re going to replace the agency person i had so by putting myself out i done myself I’ve done myself in and i definitely haven’t been trying as hard as i could to loss the weight 

i haven’t given up on Bath and Brighton yet as the wife said i may be able to do them just not as quickly as i would have liked

B&T i am glad you got your shoes shorted out always best to go to some were you know and trust to get them well done on the runs i think that annoyed me as well all those days of running in the rain or when it was dark and gray and now the suns come out al be it a bit colder i can’t get out there

Slowsal well done to your daughter on her debut glad you had ia nice time in London

A/H you may be right i will have to get up to my local running shop and have it checked

waves to everyone else keep up the good work

• Options

Hi all

toby,sorry to hear about the knee,good to hear you're still positive re Bath and Brighton

B+T,glad to hear shins behaved.Was reading another thread about whether a shoes cushioning deteriorates quicker in cold weather.Might be something in it as often my shoes(or perhaps its just me!)dont feel as bouncy in cold weather.Know what you mean about little shops.I'm still waiting for them to call me with the Mizuno insprire 8 which they had to order in.Lunarglides still ok though at the mo but dont want to do too many more longish runs in them and want to wear in new shoes soonish.Hope you get sorted soonimagemaybe you will try some Mizunos too?

xtraining today-shopping in Oxford imageBought some new pjs in sale,bargain £5 but on nightshift tonight so wont beable to try them until tomorrow

Ran 10 miles yesterday and also did parkrun on sat morning so rest until weds 5 milesimage

have a good evening all

• Options
    Evening

Sounds like a good shop B&T, hope they get you sorted
    No shame in feeling sorry for yourself Toby but agree with Mrs Toby too
    Hr of abs done and dusted, glad didn't run as -1 already- brrrr
    Nothing nicer than new PJs Susie image
  • Options

HI All,

B&T - Didn't mean that it is your gait just another option and worth considering.

Toby - Good for you for not giving up.

Susie - Well done on the running.

Sal - Impressive HR of Abs work.

8 Easy miles in the cold tonight Average HR 139, one more run before Gloucester with fingers crossed for some decent weather.

• Options

Toby - hope the Drs apppointment goes well and its somethign easily 'fix'ed!

Susie - that's interesting about cushioning in the cold. I know what you mean - I've always presumed its just me being creakier in the cold! Hope work went well last night - and enjoy your new PJs image Lady in the shop mentioned New Balance - but I'll just see what feels the best. Also thinking "Please let it be a really mainstream make & model so I can get more pairs cheap online!"

Sal - hours of abs?? well done! I wouldn't be able to straighten up / cough / laugh today if I did that (which probably means I should be doing it!!)

AH - the shop does gait analysis free when you buy a pair of shoes, so rather than checking to see if I'm anything other than a 'mild over-pronator' I hope it will show which of the shoes suit me best (worked last time I went there!) Think the weather is supposed to be easing up, isn't it?

Week 3 run 2 done today. Flippin' freezin' out there!!! Was supposed to be 50 mins steady, but was actually 57 mins slow-to-steady. Whoops! Ran to the bridge over the bypass, then couldn't resist running up & over it, then coming back up & over it again to see the pattern on my Garmin afterwards. Still not bored of my new toy!! Shins felt fine imageimage just one little twinge. I was watching a video about barefoot running which was talking about keeping your head up, and your feet underneath you, and taking much smaller (but quicker) steps. I was thinking about this, as its supposed to put less pressure on your legs, and hopefully it helped.

Rest day tomorrow (phew!)

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Keeping busy at work and home lately so struggling to keep up with goings-on in Gulp World  image

Sal - hope Sat's viewing went okay?

B&T - sorry to hear about recent problems with shin splints and tight calves. But I see it could be the current shoes wearing out and nooo ones could be the answer. Reminds me .. must get another pair of the Saucony Guide4 I currently use while they're still available. Had a quick look just now and saw them for £50-60 (were £90 in Running Bath last year). Glad you are still enjoying your new toy (Garmin). I try that more upright/land on balls of forefoot style of running and it feels better .. but its all too easy to to slip back into plodding-mode if you don't concentrate. BTW - we were sniggering about burpees and fartlek on FB yesterday? Watched the last episode of "Great Barrier Reef" last night. At one point Monty was describing the different birdlife on one island .. "There are brown boobies everywhere" he said. Mrs Wm and I had a chuckle at that and I thought of you sniggering along too ;)

Foxy - re Charvil, there's a beer tent too? Even better! image BTW, wasn't looking to run Reading HM .. just interested it had sold out so soon.

Toby - hope the doctor can sort out what is causing the knee problems. And hope you don't have to postpone Bath and/or Brighton.

Susie - PJ's .. what are they? image

*waves* to everyone else

Bootcamp on Sun morning was hard work but fun. Fitness tests to start with - 1000mtrs rowing, pressups, squats, situps .. height, weight and other measurements made to compare against in 8 weeks time. Then we jogged to the local park for starjumps, burpees, pressups etc. all interspersed with running to/from nearby trees. Frost was on the grass so a few 'hard' points gained I hope? Had a tooth extracted yesterday afternoon so gave the club run a miss last night - my mouth feels fine today so hope I can get out for a run tonight/tomorrow. Wish I could say the same for my arms, chest (pecs) and legs - all a wee bit sore from Sunday's boot camp session.

• Options

Well went to the doctors and the good news is he doesn’t think i torn the cartilage but just jar or twisted it it’s my own fault had i listen to people on here when i did it originally last year and rest then and not carried on training on it after a 2 week layoff well it wasn’t even that i may not have been in this boat now

Bad news is no running for 3 weeks that’s going to kill me but at least i will still have the best part of February and March he he’s given me some Voltarl gel to rub in 3 times a day

I am going to arrange to see a physio as soon as possible

• Options

Evening folks.

Glad the news isn't too bad toby, rest and rest.

Mel- beefr tent in the afternoon, yes. well done on bootcamp. If you remember I did one and nearly killed myself, never again.

However very pleased as, despite RP being elsewhere, I ran at 6am in the dark and freezing temps. 4 miles steady (ave 8.54mm) and another .25 mile as a cool down, then up the gym and 10 mins on the rower and 20mins core and arms and stretches. I was planning to use the Dreadmill but couldn't face it, so the dark/cold was more attractive, plus you go quicker in the cold!! Day 2 of week 2.  PLan going well so far. The weekend's running was a bit mad as those on FB know.

Did my "easy 4" at parkrun and it was cold and a PB of 25.13, then did a 6k x-c in the afternoon and being a weird distance was a PB too. (30mins). Then an easy 8 (7.5m) on Sunday which was very cold but beautiful.

Lungs were a bit shot yesterday and I was rejoicing in my rest day!!

Race planning going well. We have a guest to start and give out prizes, permission from the local authority (which I probably should have got sooner!) and it is on the Purple Patch race site so it MUST be happening. Wow! 10.30am start time. There is a walk as well for the slower peeps and reduced entry for children.  Just sorting the toilets!!

• Options
    Foxy Lady glad the race planning is going well
  • Options

Afternoon all

Just made an appointment to see the physio on Friday going to head over the gym in a minute for a swim i may then come back and use the weight bench in the garage but I’ll wait to see the physio before doing to much just in case i do more damage i will have to ask what sort of exercises i can do

• Options

Very sensible Toby.

Cross training day for me today: 10 mins rower/10 mins elliptical and 20 mins of core/resistance and strength on upper body.

I have returned home to a pile a cat sick (sorry if anyone is eating) and a whinging cat who needs to stop moulting.

School run 2 of 3, here I go again.image

• Options

Hi all

5 miles today and home to hear that new shoes arrived in running shop.imageNot able to go though until friday as work commitmentsimage

toby,I'm sure your knee will be better soon,rest seems to be the key.image

FL,image but poor catimageHow many runners will be doing your run?When I mentioned Charvil to OH he said he knew of it and said 'its a posh place'imageimage

working again tonight image

• Options

It's not a posh place Susiebe!  It's near a very posh place but we're def the poor relations!

I dunno numbers- would like to aim for 500 but no idea.....!

Bleurgh re work, still you'll be heading home for bed as I am battling my intervals.

• Options
    Hi everyone

Hope you're all well. I will repost the race list but don't think anything has been added since last time (but let me know if I've missed anything).

I have read all the posts but think I may have forgotten them by the time I've written this image I do remember B&T having sore shins and possibly getting new shoes. Hope you get sorted. I did a proper gait test and got some Adidas Supernova, but they tore my feet to shreds. I've gone back to the Nike Pegasus (which are probably not quite right for my gait) but I feel absolutely fine in them and running in them seems much easier - anything else feels like concrete blocks on my feet. Hope you get sorted.

Toby - so sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you get to rest it properly and you are OK.

Foxy - great running from you as per usual. Hope you're well

Sal - how's it going? Great news on your child running for Harriers - so exciting. Great running from you too. And yes, think I am a bit mad these days image

AH - hope you're well. Snowdon Marathon looks incredibly tough - I'll be calling you Iron Man soon image

Mel - you're another Bionic Man with your boot camp training. RoyalSteveAustin from now on.

Susieb - ohh I've entered the ballot for Great North Run too. Fingers crossed. Hope you're training is going well.

Big wave to Claireruns / Julia T / Spen71 / and anyone else I've missed.

Been continuing with my Greater Manchester Marathon training (I've switched to the schedule on their website). Just in week 2. Feeling OK. Not as fast as I would like but can feel I'm getting a little better. Have been (since I hate the treadmill) doing a quick run around my works during the week for my shorter runs. It has a killer hill in the first mile. Last week I had to walk up it, this week I ran up half of it, next time (tomorrow) I plan to run up all of it!. But did the same route this week and a little bit more and was a couple of minutes quicker - so happy with that. Did my first long run (7 miles) at the weekend near where I live. I've forgotten how hilly Stockport is - couple of killer hills, but hoping it's all strengthening my legs. Had to walk the last mile though but that was only because I'd reached the shop and needed to carry my shopping home - hope it counts! image

I've only just noticed that now I'm back to running to a schedule my mood has lifted. I was feeling a little down for the last couple of months, but just put it down to dark nights, heading towards Christmas ..... but I also think having no focus to my running didn't help either. I'm much better having something to focus on, work to, otherwise I lose my motivation. Once I started this schedule, my mood perked up! I was chatting to my friend about all the races we have entered this year. I used to spend all my money on drink and going out..... now it's races, running gear, etc! Who'd have thought!

I'll put the race list on the next post (as it won't let me add it here!) xxx
  • Options
    GULP Running Club - Race Details

22nd Jan 2012 ___ Spen71 - Gloucester Marathon

29th Jan 2012 ___ B&T - Slaughterford 9

4 Feb 2012 _______FoxyLady - Grim Night Terror

12 Feb 2012 _____ FoxyLady - Bramley 10 miler

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon / FoxyLady - Water of Life HM

31 March 2012 __ Sal - National Lottery Olympic 5mile Run

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

6th April 2012 ___ Maidenhead Easter 10 miler

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon / FoxyLady - Bracknell HM

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

8th July 2012 ____ JessL - New Forest 10 Mile

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby - Great North Run

30 Sept 2012 _____ JessL - Loch Ness Marathon

27 Oct 2012 ______ Another Hill - Snowdonia Marathon

Thanks. Hope you're all well xx
  • Options

Morning all

Well went for a swim yesterday and then had to suffer the dreaded Jacuzzi Oh thing i have to do for this running lark

Jess glad your mood has lifted and that i was not the only one feeling a bit down must say i was a bit worried that the doctor was going to say that my running day were over what was i going to tell the wife after spending all that money on running gear

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - as I said on the other thread, really think you need to rest that knee properly and let it heal. You just need to be patient (and a good patient) like I had to be with my ankle and shoulder problems. Hope you can find a good physio to help sort out the problem.

Foxy - I was really sore from bootcamp yesterday (arms, pecs, quads) as they're muscles I've obviously not used for a while .. 2nd bootcamp session on Sun morning and I guess as we've been weighed/measured that means even more exercising next time .. ho hum. Am impressed with all the running you are getting done at the moment. Glad to hear the race planning is going well.

Susie - frustrating to hear nooo shoes have arrived but you can't get to shop .. grrrr!

Jess - dunno about bionic man. Though with a tooth needing taking out on Monday and toenails dropping off as we speak, maybe it is time to invest in some bionic additions! image Glad to hear the training is going okay - carrying shopping definitely counts as x-training and if you do hills as part of training, flat will seem easy by comparison.

*waves* to everyone

Mouth isn't feeling bad after the tooth extraction. The gum is a little bit sore and I am having to remember to eat on the right hand side. I forget every now and then! (ouch) and just have to wait patiently for the gum to heal up.

Have missed out on running so far this week due to 'stuff' that's going on. We've switched our broadband to BT but unfortunately it didn't happen properly. So will no doubt be getting involved in that again later if Mrs Wm doesn't manage to get them to sort it. Have a session with my PT this afternoon. Hoping to fit in a short run today, tomorrow or Saturday depending on when we can get broadband up and running.

BTW - lack of broadband at home meant I had to drive to Bristol to do my early morning system checks. Meant an even earlier start than normal and I was in the office by 6:30am. So I do hope BT get their act together today.