Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Yvonne - ahhhhhh! That's really sweet. May your relationship blossom and grow image Proper countdown for your holiday now as well.

Waves to everyone else as well

Just realised I'm running the Great Chalfield 10K on Thursday evening. Hope I get some sleep before then (builder stress keeping me awake at night at the moment image) Gave up trying to sleep yesterday at 6am having been awake for 2 hours, was just sipping a cup of tea trying to be quiet so i didn't wake anyone else up when suddenly thought I could get a quick run in and still be back in time to shower & get everyone up & out. So I did! It was so quiet, really lovely, and I even took a new Course Record on a Strava segment near my home so mightily pleased. yay!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

CW - re world cup, a quote from a supporter on R4 this morning .. "We lower our expectations - and they manage to do even worse". I have no interest in football, especially the World Cup. I'm in a minority of one in my office at the moment. No more blisters (see below). Re getting swim coach to watch you - if you don't ask, you don't get!

Toby - sorry to hear about snowmaiden's coming together with bike and ankle injury. Well done to you and poohbear re Chew Valley 10K in the heat.

B&T - feet are okay (see below!). See you did allotment-ing in favour of a long run a few days ago. Well done re early doors run and Strava segment record. And good luck for Great Chalfield 10K on Thursday.

Yvonne - like that saying about sun being for laying in, not running in. Laying around would be easier than all the walking I am having to do at present! image Well done for continuing running streak, fitness and abs challenges. Bet you're looking forward to Rhodes. Jealous? Moi? Lovely news about getting back together with old schoolfriend - hope things work out okay.

It was warmer than I would prefer for walking at the weekend. But on my C2C holiday I won't have any choice. So I did another double-whammy of two days walking. I was on call on Saturday until 2:30pm - managed to get out for a quick 9 mile walk afterwards. Set off on Sunday at 8:45am and got home at 5pm having done (drum roll ..) 19 miles. My feet were a bit sore afterwards but there were no blisters this weekend. But I did get bitten by a horse-fly and have a lovely big lump on my left shoulder.

I've not done any running lately - my head is full of preparations for the C2C at present so if I do get out it will be a head-clearing jog around town.

• Options

Ah  - Toby - see I got your family members mixed up. Congrats to Pooh bear!

Mel - well done on walking in the heat. Hope the horsefly bite won't affect your backpack carrying? Nasty things - very painful. I can wholly heartedly recommend a little jogette for head clearingimage

• Options

Morning all

Well have done a couple of small runs this week did 3 on Monday and 4 yesterday thankfully Snowmaiden ankle seems ok

Yvonne i hope the new romance works out Ok you deserve it

B&T well done for getting out there early for a run i think i would have just stayed in bed

Mel well done on the 19 miles that some going in this heat

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - have been applying Anthisan cream to the horse-fly bite and most of the swelling has now gone. Still not been for a jog-ette ..

Toby - thanks. After the months of build-up it seems strange that in a week and a bit I'll actually be doing the C2C walk. I had my ipod with me on Sunday - thought 8hrs of walking by myself without any music would be boring. The C2C group could be up to 12 of us plus guide so (hopefully!) the miles will seem to pass by quicker with company.

*waves* to Yvonne, CW (and anyone else who pops by)

• Options

Mdel - good news about the bite, and exciting news abiout the C2C walk coming so soon! What's the weather forecast looking like (bit of everything, I expect?)

Toby - normally I would have stayed in bed, but I'd been lying awake for a couple of hours by then and was totaly bored!

Short but sweet bike ride last night with my son. I thought it wasn't going to go well as I initially tried to put my padded cycling shorts on back to front - not a good omen. Thankfully all was well after that. Just over 12 miles in just under an hour. As I was falling asleep last night I was thinking that the pro-atheletes RUN that distance in that time!!!!! image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - I know the rain is returning tomorrow but I've not bothered checking what's happening for the next week or two ahead. Besides, I'll be walking every day whatever the weather! At least if it's going to rain I can go outside and test out my new Paramo waterproof. My short test (sprinkle water from washbasin) showed water rolling off again so that's a good omen. Sorry - sniggered reading about your back to front cycle shortsimage

• Options

Good point Mel! When I was at Guide camp many years ago, if it was pouring with rain the rather scary Guider in charge told us to just wear shorts with our waterproof jackets and wellies and just get on with it! legs would dry quicker than jeans. She was quite scary so we did what she said (and she was right!)

Yes = back to front cycling would have been a fail on so many fronts. And behinds.

• Options
    Yvonne - how nice.

Mel - full respect for walking 8 hrs. I like the fans comment about lower your expectations.

Toby - good news about snowmaiden not being badly injured.

B&T - I will have to snigger. Are you spinning low gears or pushing gears?

Been for a splash tonight feel like slow (very slow) progress is being made.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - guide camp can't have been that many years ago surely?image My walking trousers are all zip-offs that convert to shorts, so shorts + waterproof is an option I've already considered and lets' face it, mud is also easier to get off legs than out of trousers. Anyway, I figure as it's July when I'm walking, the rain ought to be warm(ish). Re back to front shorts, I saw the latest post on Facebook from 'Fairy Elephant' (who used to post on this thread many moons ago) complaining about her sore 'lady garden' after a 69 mile bike ride. Sounded like some extra padding might have helped in her case!image 

CW - like when training for a HM, I've been building up the distance slowly but surely. Now I've managed 19 miles it feels like 'only' ten miles when I go for shorter walks. Glad to hear swimming is progressing slowly but surely.

• Options

Wtn Mel surely the words "lady garden" and "69" shouldn't be used in the same sentence !!! image

Sorry couldn't resist!! 

It's starting to get cooler ,yea, I love it hot but boy it takes it out of you when running even at 7 in the morning!!

CW the only time I get in a pool is on holiday, and only to cool down ...respect to all triathletes, I wouldn't mind doing a dualthlon , would you recommend it B&T?

Waves to everyone 

• Options

Yvonne - ha ha! But I did feel sorry for Fairy Elephant. Ow! I think you'd be great at a duathlon, I think the only hard part would be running again after cycling. Despite advertising itself as 'open to anyone' 'ideal for beginners' the event we did was full of very experienced triathletes with all the gear - quite an eyeful!

Great Chalfield 10K tonight for me. It's months since I raced and I feel like I lost my confidence in that time. Yet bizarely my running is feeling really good - so who knows what will happen tonight! Cooler here, with rain forecast so ideal conditions really. My roof is now all battened down so I'm happy for rain!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - ha ha, I did see the 69/lady garden connection myself but chose not to mention it as there are lay-dees present!image 

B&T - "triathletes with all the gear - quite an eyeful" .. down girl! image Good luck with Chalfield 10K .. and as the rain is on it's way, glad to hear roof is all battened down.

And when the rain arrives later, I shall be wandering around outside on the back lawn seeing how waterproof the new coat is .. will probably wear my shorts while I do B&T 

• Options

Mel - and your neighbours will be twitching their curtains whilst muttering "he's out there all on his own in the rain..."  I think a nice cool shower might be just what we all need to cool down a little !

• Options

Talking about triathletes i see the Bristol triatherlon is on again this weekend my go down and have a look

• Options

Morning all!

Toby3 - well worth a look, I'd say!

Last night's 10K was a little disappointing. The weather was perfect, cooler with just a hint of a shower. It's a small friendly race, I've done it twice before so knew eactly what to expect. Set off too fast, so conciously slowed down. Then realised I'd slowed down too much so had to overtake the couple who'd just overtaken me (sorry!). There is a long slope uphill at about 8K, then it's flat and fast to the finish line so I was conciously keeping something back for that. Just before teh slope thogh I got the most awful stitch ever. I often get a mild stitch and try and control it with breathing etc, but this seriously felt like I was being stabbed. I had to stop and walk whilst I tried to get rid of it, and the 2 ladies who'd been on my tail for the last mile  passed me. Grr! When I did get running again I felt like I'd completely lost my rhythm and energy and it was a real slog to the finish line.

Finished in 56:39 and was disappointed that I'd not beaten last year's time of 55:20. Not finished disappointed for a long time - I can normally find a positive to take away. Sitting later on with a plate of lasagne and a large glass of red wine with my medal around my neck I felt a bit better.

In retrospect my lack of long runs won't have helped. With having the builders here I've been popping out for a quick 3 or maybe 4 miles when I can, not the 6, 7 or 8 (or more!) miles I should be. I'll take that as a learning point for next time!

River Run 5K next week, so hopefully my 3 & 4 mile runs will be enough for that!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - I did stand in the rain (in my shorts!) and it was pleasing to see the water collecting in droplets and running off the coat. Our back garden isn't overlooked (not until you're about halfway up it anyway) so no curtain-twitchers. Shame about last night's 10K - wine always helps!

Toby - there was a triathlon at the Cotswold Water park near me - would have popped along but I only found out afterwards.

The new waterproof will get a better, longer test this weekend by the looks of it. I won't be doing another double-whammy weekend .. will just go out on one day and try and do another 15-mile walk. 

• Options
    Calm down all,

Mel - at least you had chance to test out your waterproof jacket. Is those the lakes that have supervised open swim ( for future ref)

B&T - I can't see anything wrong with your 10k time, a minute off last years time with what sounds like awful stitch, don't be harsh on yourself.

Toby - did you get to the tri.

Talking of saddle sores I've ordered a different saddle, I get numb around the 40 mile mark, a fizik something. Nice brick session done today short bike ride 21 miles followed by a 6 mile run.
  • Options

Morning all

8 miles for  me on Friday did them on the treadmill in the garage for a change other than that not a lot going on running wise Snowmaiden training is becoming a little more tricky now as her hours at work have increases and she working some funny shifts that aren’t always conducive to the training but we’ll get there

B&T sorry to read the race never went as well as you hoped still there always next year and as you say you learnt something that’s the good thing about running there always something new we can learn

Mel glad the water proofing test went well and no curtains twitched

CW never got there in the end fates conspired I’d forgotten we had to do a major cooking session for the freezer this weekend and by the time we’d finished it was  far too late

• Options
    Hi all,

Well I've registered for a 70.3 ironman for next year something to aim at. Gulp
  • Options

CW - Gulp indeed! Well done!! Just remember this is probably as scared as you were the first time you entered a half marathon, or a marathon - and look how well you did those!

Toby - well done on the 8 miles in the garage.  Freezer cooking sessions such a good idea!

Mel - glad the new coat passed the test

Yvonne - hello!!

Thank you for your kind words about the race. Feel okay about it now - and I have my annual 5K race on Wednesday - the River Run (no running partner this time, though, Mel!)

• Options
    Thanks B&T, I'm quite excited by it the longer plan is the half next year and a full the year after (50 years young)
  • Options

CW - great plan for celebrating! I have a friend who's cycling lands End to John O'Groats this year - his wife said he could because it's his 50th #midlifecrisisimage

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

CW - afraid I don't have any details about the triathlon at Cotswold Water Park .. just saw the signs out re parking. See you've registered for a 70.3 ironman. Gulp indeed!

Toby - respect for doing 8 miles on the dreadmill.

B&T - yes, sorry about missing River Run yet again. I wouldn't be very fast anyway - you'd have finished zigging before I had even started zagging (private joke).

*waves* to Yvonne (and anyone else who pops by)

Edit: Forgot to say this may be my last posting before I head off on the C2C walk on Saturday (will be walking for 13 days from 6th-18th July). You can 'stalk' me on my blog (www.wtnmel.blogspot.co.uk) if you want to see where I have got to and how I am feeling! image

• Options

Ooh - I'll let you off River Run this year then Mel. Best of luck with the C2C walk.

May the weather be not too hot and not too wet, may the paths be easy to walk but enough of a challenge to feel satisfied by the end of the day, may your jacket stay waterproof and may your boots not give you blisters image

• Options

Morning all

Interesting time for me over the next couple of weeks as I’ve swapped shifts at work so instead of working afternoons I’m on days which means it’ll have to get used to doing my training after work instead of before does mean however i can get to go to the running club with Snowmaiden and Poohbear

Mel yes good luck for the C2C hpoe it goea well and you have a great time

• Options
    Mel - good luck and enjoy
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - I'd like the weather to be dry and sunny but not too hot. But if the forecast is correct, my waterproof will be in use from day 1. I stood in the rain in the back garden with it on and it seemed to be doing the trick! image The terrain will be all sorts .. rocky paths, meadows, moorland and riverside paths. As for blisters - I've only had the one when I've been training - let's hope that's the last one!

Toby - will make a nice change to be able to get along to running club

CW - thanks

That's it for now - 'see' you in a couple of weeks time and keep an eye on the blog in the meantime.

• Options

Morning all

10miles for me yesterday have to say i was well pleased as i got around in just over 1:25:00 which is by way the fastest I’ve done it in a long time then it was another Bute of marshalling for our running club in the evening the rain did threaten but held off out with Poohbear today for a 10 mile run but today is back to running in the rain oh this will bring back memories of training for Brighton  

• Options

Well done Toby. I did 9 miles on Saturday in 1:42 - slower than I'd have liked, but I've done some damage to my hip. I had a few days of aching and my short run today was painful. I'm not sure what to do now. image