Options

Sports Personality 2008

Seriously.  Adlington has to be in with a shout for top 3, but could a cyclist really win it?  Got to be a shoe in for team of the year too.

Comments

• Options
    no lewis hamilton will. shouldnt but he will no doubt.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    yes, he came 2nd last year without winning anything- save your stamp and just enjoy the show...
  • Options

4 Cyclists and no Cav?

2 Giro D'Italia and 4 Tour wins not good enough then?

Manx bias, sorry   image

• Options
    Chris Hoy's Olympics means that none of the other trackies can win. Agree with you, MM, it would be good to see Cav in there. He's had an astonishing year.

There is a history of F1 World Champions winning it, and I don't think this year will be any different.
  • Options

I very much doubt Hoy will make the top three in any case.

Adlington to be second, on account of the fact that she was previously unknown, performed brilliantly and modestly, and she isn't scottish image

• Options

I reckon the best of Cav is yet to come - the disappointment at the olympics will fuel him on to bigger and better things.  He'll be on the list in another year - mark my words.

Hoy to win this year.

• Options

Adlington Cooke Romero would be niceimage

Cyclists :Team of The Year

• Options

From the cyclists I'd have it between Cooke and Hoy.    Even allowing for the fact the women's RRing isn't as competitive as the men I still think world and Olympic champ trumps what Cav has achieved.    For Hoy it's not just the fact he has 3 golds it's the fact that when they dropped the kilo from the Olympics he had to go away and learn a new event.    

I know she wont win but I'd give it Cooke - I just think the road is the pinnacle of the sport and a woman can't top world RR champ and Olympic champ in the same year - plus she really is one that has done it her way. 

• Options

Somewhere along the line everyone forgets it is is sports 'personality' of the year!!

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Didn't that Nigel Mansell (famous personality) win it one year......?
  • Options

which is why i think adlington

she recieved plaudits for her excellence but also the great manner in which she did it.

and only 19! a pup.

• Options
    It's actually NOT a personality competition, it's about achievement - the name is a bit misleading. Bracket "Sports Personality" together, not "Personality of the Year".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/7735134.stm

Definition of who is eligible

Voted for by the public live during the TV show, this prestigious award will be given to the sportsman or woman whose actions have most captured the public's imagination in 2008. Non-playing coaches or management are not eligible.

People are eligible to win Sports Personality of the Year if:- They are British or all of the following criteria apply:

- They play a significant amount of their sport in the UK

- Their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK, and not with a non-UK based team (in which case they would more likely qualify for the Overseas award)

- They are residents in the UK
  • Options

i assume the paralympic swimmer from walsall will be a shoe-in for the young sports personality of the year

plus i can't think of any other young sports persons from this year - the diver got it last year i think

• Options

Their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK??????

that would cut out the olypmians - for most of us the only thing we know about the cyclists and swimmers is what they achieved at the olympics although they have all achieved in the uk in national championships too i assume

• Options

turkey-lurkey - the olympians are British so it doesn't matter where they acheived success. I think the 'or' criteria is to allow long standing UK residents (non-British) to be eligible, for example, Frankie Dettori.

I don't see how the achievements of Cav aren't in the top 10 achieved by a Brit this year. I voted for Calzarghe last year but wouldn't have him on the list this year as he has only beated a couple of past their best boxers. My vote this year will go to either Cooke or Adlington.

• Options

oh yeah - i didn't spot the "or"

du'h

• Options
    I reckon it will be Hamilton and then Adlington and then Hoy.

Best team will be the cycling team (anyone know where I can bet on that ?)

Pity that Cavendish isnt in there - if the Tour was on BBC tv - then he would be. And no Chrissie Wellington either - her achievements are staggering - and she'such a nice person too.
  • Options
    then problem here is that we're all approaching this from the perspective of being runners/riders/swimmers etc......

the vast majority of the vote will come from the fag smoking, couch potatoes who read shite newspapers and watch Jeremy Kyle who know feck all about the relative merits and talents of the nominated people...

Hamilton is bigger news to them than Hoy, Adlington, Cooke etc so will probably win.....unfortunately....
  • Options
    It's a bit pathetic Shane Williams is not in the list: IRB player of the year, which is rare for a British rugby player.
  • Options
    Lewis Hamilton. After all He has had to put up with a lot of shit from the FIA, and still managed to win the world championship.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭

UK- Hamilton

Cycling is a very minor sport for TV in the UK.

For Overseas I would vote Phelps (maybe Bolton, maybe Nadal).

• Options
    but again JFB - SW is not that well known to the shandy swilling wendyball supporters who will vote for Hamilton.....

Ickle would certainly drag in the Welsh voters who should vote for Cooke instead but unless you're a Welsh cyclist, she is relatively unknown in her native country.......
  • Options

IF1 not really a sport but Hamilton will win it purely because in the end he gets far more publicity than anyone else -

Steph Twell to win the young one but she won't

• Options

Did I read that Andrew Murray is in the running?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !

• Options
    I am not much of a fan of Murray but given his record this year it is hard to see why he wouldn't be in the top 10. Henman and the Canadian actually won it when they hadn't achieved as much in the year, but this year is much more competitive.
  • Options
    I'm voting for Hamilton...
  • Options
    Spedders - what do you know about sport eh?? clearly not much if you're voting Hamilton......

• Options

FB, I guess you're right.

Did you go to the game on Saturday?

• Options

Ham(it up)ilton will win.

F1 is the "watched" sport. Unless there is a clever The Sun article or two. They did do a great bit on the medal winners at the time. If followed up it may push one to the winning spot. So then it will be Pendalton. She is a good looking female and got a lot of press. Hoy is still just "that bloke that rides fast". Cooke technicaly is the better rider(if she was male TDF would be in the bag) but the non-cyclist will not know about what she has done. However she has been here before til Adrian charles fooked it up for her.

The young Para swimmer will win youth award. Fair play she does have the personality. Having seen her at the rugby and other programes she "shines" the diver bloke was a stuck up posh boy in compariosn(sorry but no matter how young, he f*cked up)

Murray.................ROFL Joker of the pack. He has one grand slams etc. But not Wimbers and his anti english "joke" did't help the old enemy support him. Tiger Tim comes back next year and wins SOMETHING he would be above Murray.

The team award. does the normal bloke understand anout "team" in cycling so by default Wales rugby will win(plus SW still gets more silverspoons)

• Options
    TT - Pendleton didn't make it into the top 10 so however good looking she is (very) she won't be winning.