Options

Sports Personality 2008

Comments

• Options
    JFB - no I didn't and due to other things only saw the 2nd half.....but the last 10 mins made up for things with the tension......nothing like beating the Convicts as a cheer up!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

My choice would be

Hoy , Adlington, Ainslie.

Should be an Olympian.

Would be the first year a British F1 champion hadn't won it mind you but I believe that is right this year. Any other non-Olympic year then no debate.

Athletes who get up at 5am to train and get very little financial gain vs multi-millionaire living in Switzerland. Don't get me wrong I would vote for Hamilton in any other year but it has to be an Olympian.

I think I just argued for Adlington actually because the swimmers early morning train (before they let the public in)  but the cyclists don't (public don't use velodromes).

I suspect Hoy won't win now, indeed none of the cyclists because with 4 of them there the vote will split. Not sure how Wiggins made it. Great performance but not better than Hoy.

Romero's story is two Olympic medals in 2 different sports.

Cooke's was first Gold and should have won it two years ago but personally would still pick Hoy of the Cyclists.

Murray has had a great year and should be in the top 10 but No Slam = no chance. If he had won the US open then that would have been interesting. In a quiet year it would have been enough but not this.

No Idea why Calzaghe is on this year - non-starter

No footballer - we didn't even qualify for the Euro 2008 finals so of course not (international success required for SPOTY)

• Options

"multi-millionaire living in Switzerland"

bit unfair since his dad made lots of personal sacrifices to ensure that his sons potential was realised, he was not born into a wealthy family, his sport has made him wealthy

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭

If the candidate has to fulfil all the criteria then "They are residents in the UK" should disqualify Hamilton shouldn't it?

Personally I'd vote Cooke, Addlington, Ainslie.

And Steve MacLaren for coach of the year.

• Options
    Gavo wrote (see)

If the candidate has to fulfil all the criteria then "They are residents in the UK" should disqualify Hamilton shouldn't it?

Personally I'd vote Cooke, Addlington, Ainslie.

And Steve MacLaren for coach of the year.

Heheheheheheheheheheh scouse humour eh Gav image

No Idea why Calzaghe is on this year - non-starter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 46 - 0

• Options
    I think Hamilton will get it, he deserves it.
  • Options

he did well no doubt moo. however i do feel he is let down by two factors:

I don't feel its a sport

i don't feel he has a personality.

• Options

Im not sure Hamilton will win, a lot of people watched and enjoyed the Olympics and there may be a London 2012 influence to the voting, besides that Hamilton isnt popular in the same way that Mansell and Hill were.

Vote Hoy, your vote could make a difference.

• Options

So why Rebecca Romero

and not Victoria Pendleton?

Two golds and a silver at the worlds, gold in the only Olympic event she could compete in, three wins in the World Cup

Still, great to see the cyclists recognised and there can't be any other contenders for Team of the Year

Overall... I think Hoy will win. It's an Olympic year and he's a triple Olympic champion. The first time that's happened in 100 years

And Rebecca Adlington's two golds will mean she's second

• Options

Hoy for me. if only for the fact that each thigh is 45" circumference. Reward the Olympians in the Olympic year. these guys trained for four years to reach their peak at a few events. And the cyclists destroyed the opposition at not just the olympics but the worlds too. Hamilton had done great and i am pleased he won, but he didnt dominate all year like the cyclists.

still have a feeling Hamilton will win though.image

• Options
    I'd still go for Cooke - but Hoy should get the nod over any of the other Olympians like Adlington because he's got more golds, he's also a double world champion this year (I think it was only two he won there anyway) - he is the first cyclist ever to be world champion at all 4 sprint disciplines and he's had to switch his main event from the kilo to the match sprint - and the demands for the two are very different.   He's also got previous success so there would be an element of rewarding him for what he's done throughout his career - Adlington is still young and hopefully this isn't the peak of what she will achieve. 
  • Options

Not sure why I mentioned pendaltion..............slip of the mind.

Few letters and article in this week CW. About the split of the "cycle vote". everyone behind HOY for triple gold and world championships.

or cooke for Oly gold and her past performce this year.

A lot of the public is banging on about the Gold medals but all athletes have other world class victorys behind them apart from Hamiltion.

He won ONE title. Ok his sport the only thing to win but he was lucky.

• Options

Nicko - I am a fan of Calzaghe and voted for him last year but you are having a laugh if you think he should be in the top 10 this year. He beat 2 guys well best their best and previous fights surely don't impact that. Williams should have been in the top 10 instead, and personally I would have gone for Cav over Wiggins.

• Options

Yup, in the tour Wiggins was left to watch Cav's fast disappearing backside.  Mind you, I think it's a fair point when someone said earlier that the Tour wasn't covered by the BBC.

Cav was back home a while back.  He attended a function and is rumoured to have said (something along the lines of) "If you want to further your cycling career you do the Tour, if you want to be a celebrity you do the Olympics).  On this evidence he wasn't far wrong.

That said, I think Hoy deserves the award.

• Options

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/7751044.stm

This shows how the list of 10 was voted for by the press (not the BBC). Funniest nomination is Christiano Ronaldo by the News of the World!

• Options
    Wayne Rooney nominated by The People is probably even funnier.
  • Options
    Such a tough choice.  Hoy has done great things in cycling, Cooke is the best female cyclist in the world, Romero has reached the top in two different sports and Ainslie is the best single handed dinghy sailor in the world.  I have no idea who deserves it most but surely it has to be one of those four?
  • Options

TT - bit unfair. Hamilton did win more than one race -  just one title. However that is the sport. Also lets be honest however many titles people might have won, they are getting recognition for the ultimate i.e. Olympic Gold.

Manx - not sure about Cavendish's comment either. OK I'm not a cycling fan and never understood the Tour De France. It seems like they take it in turns to decide who will win. So a big field of whom 5 might be allowed to try and win !! I know their were elements of this in the Olympic Road race won by Cooke with Pooley taking it out but being a national competition you could sort of understand the team tactic.

Have to say for me personally,I  think Track racing is a lot more exciting than road racing. I couldn't be persuaded to stand by the side of the road to watch the tour but do intend to try and get along to a velodrome for a track meeting.

• Options

It is great that the choice this year is so hard, better than years when runners up like the Canadian or celebrity footballers won it.

• Options
    Hoy Adlington and Hamilton are the only ones to make it onto all the lists (i think), though Ben Ainslie is in most. Guessing it will be between those three?
  • Options

I k wo its been said but what personality does Hamilton have?

' And the winner of this year's " I have the fastest car in the race" award is.....

Murray's got more personality than he has, and he's as  boring as a very boring thing.

Whatever happened to true personalities in sport? Wiggins comes across as a laugh.. oh and he also wins things...

The Jock cyclist for me.image

• Options
    FB, you'll have picked this up from the papers etc, but Wales were well on top over the 80 mins, it wasn't as close as the score suggests.
  • Options
    sheddysheddy ✭✭✭
    maxpower (north) wrote (see)
    Wayne Rooney nominated by The People is probably even funnier.

I reckon nominations for Theo Walcott by two diferent papers tops it, at least Rooney won summat!

I mean, I like Walcott, he's a good player and all but a couple of decent performances for England and that's grounds for him to be in the running for Sports Personality of the Year?! Do me a favour!

Personally I hope Hoy or Adlington wins it.

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Jeez, those media nominations - Cipriani, Coulthard, Radcliffe, Giggs, Rose.....
  • Options
    <<pulls up a chair>>

Lempsip and pringles anyone??
  • Options
    Its nowt to do with "personality" otherwise Kriss Akabusi would win it every year.
  • Options

my lot are all getting themselves organised:
    coke
    crisps
    fire on

etc

ready to watch
    and i shall join them in a moment

• Options
    can I come up to yours Lurks?
  • Options

oops, its started!