Options

Training for under 40mins in the Eastleigh 10k

Comments

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I haven't got time to read all of this now but it looks like an interesting thread for me, I too am after that illusive sub 40 mins 10K. I have only run 2 so far and took 42mins for the quickest on a very flat course. I don't run that regularly but do other exercise also. I only run for about 30 to 50 mins and don't really vary my runs. I will need to introduce interval type runs, but i do run off road and think the hills have really helped my running. Later in the year I will run for longer (when the weather gets better) and train for a HM, i have run 2 so far and have a PB of 1h33mins. I also find treadmill running harder, maybe it is the heat and lack of ventilation, as well as the tedium.

• Options
    Just ran 9 miles in 1'15'44"
  • Options
    Just been having a look through this, you're running slightly quicker than me, fastest 10k is only 43.54 but has been brought down from 49 mins best last year, mainly as i've started training proparly for once!

Had a look at your races, is there any reason your 10k pb time is from over 4 years ago?
  • Options
    Christ knows! I'd been wondering that myself. I did have a bit of a break from running in 2007 where I didn't do very much. And I didn't train as hard in 2006 as I did in 2004-2005 because I was a bit disillusioned after a hellish GNR.
  • Options
    Ahh well, good luck with getting it under 40, i'll be keeping an eye on the thread to get my times lowered too.
  • Options
    Feel free to chuck any comments in when you like! Are you doing Eastleigh?
  • Options
    Nope, bit far south from Manchester for me. Not sure what races i'm doing before summer, got a pretty hectic final year at uni to finish.

I'm aiming more to build up a base for running, only started properly at the end of 07 and even then it was very unstructured, and full of niggles. Finally built it up to around 40 miles atm which i'm happy with for now.
  • Options
    I checked out those race details and WAS ABSOLUTELY AGHAST...what possible right do you and your pal ,Yifter,have to publicly trash soimeone like me ,who is trying to help you ,against the background of such mediocre race times ? Come back to this board  when you can at least aspire to intermediate class ( Galloway ) ( I am surmising your age group ) !
  • Options
    You're either a compulsive liar or delusional. Virtually nothing you've just written makes sense or is true.

You came on this thread, offered advice without detail. When I asked you to clarify what you meant, you refused. In contrast to just about everyone else who has posted here.

At the very least, you're quite a rude person. More likely you are a rude person that is also a bit thick.

There you go... NOW you've been trashed.
  • Options
    Today:
    1 mile warmup, 5 x 1,000m @ 5k pace with 60sec rest, 2 mile warmdown

All 1k reps done at 10mph (6m/m pace) for a total 5k time of 18:40 when you remove all the rest periods.

Pleased with this... just need to take 10s or so off the rest periods every few weeks for the next couple of months!
  • Options
    That's what i'm hoping.
    So should I keep the rest intervals at 60s and just go for improving the speed then?

I had it in mind i'd keep the speed the same but try to reduce the rest over time.
  • Options

60 secs seems about right for kilometre reps, but as you get fitter you might find that you can run the recoveries quicker. Ive had experience of this myself in recent times, one week we did 400m reps, and I had to stop and walk after each one, a month or so later and I was running the recoveries at about half the speed of the reps. I think Hobbling Harrier remarked on an improved recovery rate as he got fitter in his sub33 thread.

Just out of interest paul, when you train on a track, which local one do you use? mountbatten i presume? And that offer of a run still stands if your interested, I live in the portchester area so not to far away from you i dont think.

• Options

Yes I use the Mountbatten centre. I'd be up for a run any time. I'm about to have 2 weeks off between jobs. If you fancy going down to the track for an interval session, that'd be great. Those are the kind of sessions where a bit of friendly competition is very useful. Click my message member button to drop me an email.

My recoveries are static - I just stand.

• Options
    This is sooooo motivational  for a runner who at least has the bottle to declare his pb's......bring it on ,yifter ( I don 't  consider  the author of the thread  even worthy of  comment )
  • Options

Stop trolling my thread you bloody cretin, or i'll have your account banned. I've put my entire running history on Fetch everyone for all and sundry to see. I've linked from here to there. I've been totally transparent about everything, explained myself on every account.

It would be nice if you could do the same, thought I doubt it will happen image

• Options
    I am here...You called Yifter !image
  • Options

Haha... reinforcements?? Ant and Dec need you!!

Now Anthony, what would you recommend I do in the run-up to Eastleigh?

• Options

I don't recommend a two month taper... 

Good solid LSR, probably the right pace but it might be worth increasing it a couple of miles over the next couple of weeks and maintain that at about 13 miles or so, just to maybe increase the endurance a bit further. 

Your intervals are probably more intense than what I was doing when I went sub-40... this will probably lead to a great 5k time, but to improve the 10k in proportion some tempos (though I note you do hate them - try 3-6 x 2k intervals at 10k pace) and long endurance runs make it a bit more comfortable!

• Options
    Cheers for the encouragement. I'm trying to get two LSR-type-runs in a week (did a 9 mile and the 11 mile this week), so not sure how much more i'll increase them, but 13 sounds like a good aim.

I shall give your recommended tempo intervals a go this week!
  • Options
    Weeks Summary.

mon - 4 miles
    tue - 9 miles
    wed - 6 miles
    thu - 2 miles
    fri - 4 miles
    sat - 5 miles
    sun - am 11 miles, pm 4 miles

total: 45
  • Options

good mileage paul, but i think you should maybe try to stick a rest day in there. Maybe make the monday and friday runs 5 miles each and take the thursday run out.

You got any races planned before the eastleigh 10k?

• Options
    Lordshill 5k next sunday... Winchester 10k.... maybe some 10 mile race somewhere, i forget where.

What about you?
  • Options

Im doing the Todays Runner cross country at manor farm this sunday, then the Salisbury 10 8th March, and Marwell 10k 22nd march. Im not actually entered into the eastleigh 10k yet becuase i was supposed to be going away that weekend. But not sure if thats gonna happen now, so i'll probably stick myself in it!

I did the Ryde 10mile yesterday too, very hilly and windy image

The Winchester 10k should be good preparation for the eastleigh race. I hear its a bit more hillier than the eastleigh one?

• Options
    Just ran 7.16 miles in 60 minutes exactly.
  • Options
    Ryde sounded terrible to be honest, I didn't like the sound of the forecast at all. Me and my mum were meant to be running, with my girlfriend spectating. But I wasn't planning to race.

Seemed like a waste of money and time, especially as I wouldn't even be racing it particularly hard. Hence my doing a 15 mile double yesterday instead, near the mountbatten centre (using the cycle route up to cosham/hilsea lido and back).

Winchester is hilly, but as long as you take it easy for the first half you'll be okay. I ran out hard from the start and burned up by the 6k mark last year.
  • Options

Yeah the conditions were not that  great yesterday to say the least. The last half a mile up to the finish was like running into a wall of wind! Having said that, I actually got a pb, probably the only person in the race who didimage. Mainly due to the fact that ive trained a lot better since my last ten mile race (GSR).

The Winchester 10k should be a good gauge for you then Paul. If you can aim for 41ish in that, then sub 40 in the eastleigh one should be achievable given the flatter course.