Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

More running Gobi? image Not sure that your diet counts as a lot of fruit btw.... I'm counting 4 (OJ, 2 x bananas, beans) + the salad of your 5 a day, so unless it's a monster salad......... I know we have differing opinions on diet, but I still think you should be taking in a lot more fruit and veg given your mileage. Realistically, imo, you should be looking at 9-11 with the majority being veg. I would be interested to hear the opinions of somebody of the calibre/level of Liz on this......

Morning runs - I cannot eat before mine (same applies to races), so for training I just get up and go with a sip of water. On race mornings (for HM and Mara) I use PSP22 + something caffeinated (Lucozade Sport for e.g.), as well as having 'breakfast' the night before which seems to work quite well for me, so if you have issues like me you can train your body accordingly..... I always eat/drink within 10-20 minutes of finishing a run (normal breakfast post training, start with PSP22 post race) and never 'bonk' either in training or races (unless it's deliberately done).......

• Options

Hi Sue.

Congratulations on your place in the super-six.  I am sure you will reach your target and much more.

I will be following your progress as we are roughly the same speed.  I am however not doing the Marathon but am looking at doing one on May so might as well see how the training goes.

Speedy - I owe you an apology - I followed your progress and training plan but didnt join in your thread.  By the time I decided I should join in I felt far to much like a stalker!!! I did enjoy your forum and well done on your time, ignore the seconds you got 1:35.

I cant believe some of the things you lot eat.  I try to be healthy but I hate healthy food and end up eating Jelly Babies all day!!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT, as we have on more than one occasion discussed our diets and the fact that we disagree I can't see the need to discuss it here again.

G
  • Options

I tend to do a lot of my runs at 5:30 am and it's a case of coffee and out the door. If I'm running more then 12 miles then I'll have some cereal first. I've done speed sessions at this time with no breakfast and not suffered.

Just over 20 miles done today after dropping my youngest at school. Really enjoyed it and felt strong throughout despite running every day for the last 9 days and doing high mileage (for me).

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Fair enough G. Didn't mean/want to provoke more discussion on our respective approaches (apologies), it was more as a way of declaring an interest in the opinions of Liz on diets generally...

I guess a better way of putting it would be asking if Liz would be gracious enough to give us some insight into the typical diet of an elite athlete?

• Options

Hello TippTop and thank you for the congratulations btw. Nice of you to make a subtle entrance.....

On the subject of diets of elite athletes (!) we are lucky enough as part of our prize package to have the services of an Olympic nutritionalist. Pre Christmas we had to do a full and honest food diary for 7 days (didn't have to be consecutive, just 'normal') whilst also providing details of our training, work, lifestyle, supplements etc. So pretty comprehensive really!

Wendy is working on the information provided on the 8/9th January. I am not sure if the feedback will be provided here by her, by RW or relayed to me to feedback. It is going to be very interesting for sure and I will try to relay as much as I can on here.

Also, while we were in London in November we had a talk from one of the LSSA senior sports scientists who was in the process of analysing all the data from FLM08 (ages, splits, sexes - the lot) to see where people start to struggle during the marathon and how they can use the Lucozade product more effectively in this regard etc.

I had fully expected to be hugely excited to meet Liz and the rest of the team but I was suprised to find this aspect of training fascinating too.

An easy 5 miles for me today which fits in well with another busy day! Rest Saturday and XC Sunday.

• Options

5 pints - hello and welcome, sometimes it's really hard to post on a thread for the first time but the more the merrier as far as I am concerned!  Are you doing Edinburgh in May, I am planning on this too!

CG - Awesome mileage I see from sub 3.15, go girl!

• Options
    Gobi - there are three things in life......?image
  • Options
    I was thinking about doing the Lake Distict Marathon around the Lake but I believe that Edinburgh is a wee bit flatter! Still deciding as I have a few half's coming up and hoping to improve my time in those 1st.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    SueC, oh yes :¬)
  • Options
    Sue - I'm fascinated to see what the nutritionist says.  As someone who's always battled with weight reading both you and Meg (who are spelk like in comparison to me) say things about eating sporadically and forgetting to eat gives me a little insight into why we might be so different.  If I haven't eaten theres not a chance I could run any distance.  Not that it ever happens because I *never* forget to eat image
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SueC - me? I'm just a shy, retiring wall flower..... image Seriously, it would be good to see what the nutritionist recommends. Thank you.
  • Options

TippTop - I am sure that Liz will have some wise words too (although I notice from Running Fitness that she is eating far too many muffins and coffees at presentimage)

Wotsit - coming from a family of skinnies I wonder what is nature and what is nuture. The women in our family are all petite like me and rush around like lunatics half the time. Quite often I don't feel very hungry either although clearly I need to eat (as my 'bonked' run shows) My brother is the same although my other brother is entirely different and hates exercise of any form, snacks constantly and generally indulges in the finer things in life. He struggles with his weight. But is this lifestyle or genes or both I wonder?

5pints - good to start with a nice easy one then!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

TT theres nothing to you anyway...! But will certainly interesting to hear what is said regarding diet, but there again we all have food that work / dont work for us. etc.... so in some cases it is down to personal choice..........

6m for me today, XC tomorrow

Good running Sue and CG,

• Options

Very interesting to read that other people forget to eat and train well when they are running on empty.  Gobi, I am amazed that you manage to train 3 times in one day on that amount of food.  I think you must have the most efficient digestive system ever!  It will be interesting to see what the nutritionist recommends and what elite athletes eat too. 

Sue and 5pints - if you haven't entered Edinburgh already it is full, but there are still charity places available.

Had a couple of rest days as my knee was feeling a bit sore and I don't want to get injured just as my training is about to start!  I did manage to run tonight though.  Really tried to slow myself down and use it as recovery and it was hard, but I managed better than I usually do.  Time trial in the morning.  I am hoping it is a bit warmer than it is at the moment.

Good luck in the XC on Sunday Sue and anyone else who is racing over the weekend.

• Options

could someone enlighten me as to what a bonked run is? I'm getting confused between gobi's 3rd pleasure and sue and tiptopps running bonks!!

8 hilly but steady miles for me today, just picked up my first little niggle but hopefully not too bad. I'm not surprised as i haven't run more than 10k on the road since october 07 so the body is probably just getting used to it.

I always have cereal and a banana before a race, i'm not quite so disciplined the rest of the week though, cake ,crisps and guiness feature quite frequently!

• Options
    Gobi's 3rd pleasure is sleep, I think

Either that or winding Tipp Topp up...
  • Options

5pints, no worries! And for the record, I got that sub 1.35 three weeks later on a hilly course in Worksop!

Looking forward to reading that research on when to best use Lucozade in the marathon. I hope they get it finished in time for this year!

XC County Champs tomorrow. Shame I'm still not fully fit, but I doubt I'd have made the club team even if I was. We've got some really speedy girls running it.

• Options

Mashed banana on toast for me pre long runs - find I can go straight out the door on it provided I take the first couple of miles slow.  Often have another portion on my return.

Sue - does your nutritionist (or Liz) have a view on booze (eg benetfits of complete abstinence vs moderation) ?? 

• Options

It's one thing knowing what you should eat and drink, the problem is being disciplined enough to put it into practice.

GE - I suspect there won't be an answer to that given that people can't even agree whether you should drink or not when pregnant. I suspect for most of us it's ok in moderation. I'm just not very good at doing moderation.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Enjoy you cross country Sue.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I am wondering if forgetting to eat is more of a a female thing?  I forget to eat all the time.  Forget breakfast and think I'll have lunch, then forget lunch too.  Could it be that with children, jobs, running etc we just put ourselves to the end of the queue? 
  • Options
    I don't think I have *ever* forgotten to eat. I'm constantly shovelling something in my mouth.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Running bonks.. in Feb last year I ran 23m on the Sunday, 4+5 on Monday, 4+6 on Tuesday then attempted a 16m run home from work on Wednesday. I got to 11m and simply ran out of fuel. I was in a small vilage on the outskirts of nowhere, in darkness, so I had no choice but to tough it out. My pace dropped from 7:30 to 8:45mm within 2 miles. This is what is known as bonking! On reflection, lots of running between Sunday & Wednesday but not enough re-fuelling. You live & learn!

5m club road race for me on Sunday, can't say the weather forecast fills me with confidence!

Good luck with the XC Sue.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thanks forthe explanation Wardi, I did wonder...!
  • Options

Wardi - thanks, good luck yourself!

I suspect that Liz would take the 'moderate' view but as to what the 'official' view is then I suspect Astride is correct, although I imagine that you could find a wealth of evidence to back up which ever theory on alchohol that you choose to take.

I am really sniffly today but I feel fine in myself and our heating broke down overnight so I might just be freezing! It is a rest day anyway which I will take but my legs feel ok to run had I been required to.

Hope that everyone has a super weekend and trains well!

• Options

Dippycat - thanks for letting us know re Edingburgh - looks like a hilly 1st Marathon for me!!!

Speedy - Nice one for the sub 1hr 35.  What did you get? 

I run about 35miles aweek and my legs are knackered, dont know how you lot run double (treble!) that.  I suppose your legs just get used to it?

Anyone doing the Helsby Four Villages next Sunday?

• Options

The case for moderate alcohol consumption:

Sydney Wooderson gives hope to all those who enjoy the odd tipple.  The one-time world record-holder for the mile (4min 6.4sec - set in 1937 and stood for 5 years) once wrote a training manual in which he declared that, as part of his training regime, he drank two pints of ale a day, “drawn from the wood”.

But then, who knows - maybe if our Syd had been a bit more diciplined, none of us might ever have heard of Roger Bannister?

• Options

Dippy - I entered Edinburgh early so I am in!

5pints - How long have you been running? I have found that your legs do get used to the mileage but the volume probably varies according to the individual. My physio says usually people can cope with around 50mpw as a general rule before the injuries/niggles start to creep in but obviously some can tolerate far higher, some much lower. I am fine on steady miles and can run pretty much every day but the speed work tires me out no end! Helsby isn't my neck of the woods but I am sure there are positive reports.

GE - image

• Options

5pints - 1.34.30 image.

Good luck for your XC tomorrow Sue. Hope it goes better than mine today image.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your XC CC2, but still very good trg

7.33m for the Hants XC Champs in 48:29 (ave 6:37) and hard, but that was a race / speed session for me.

Ref the alcohol, all in moderation, I have a drink when I want too, which is rare so works for me. Food is my issue, just like Astride, seems like I want to shovel it in all the time...