Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

wise words Sue ref the 20s, they knacker me and have to build slowly to get there, I now have Jans schedule that has been sent to me. All to plan so far...

4.25m steady (was menat to be 4, but found that the Smanell P loop is 4.25m so used that.)

There are many apparoaches here so will be interesting to see how thay match up.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RFJ, I wondered who Jan was :¬0
  • Options

Gobi - Happy New Year. How did the race go?

I am in RW magazine, how very strange!!!!

6 miles for me tonight, I have just got back in. 8.33mm which is 'steady' for me, HR 163bpm which is approx 80% MHR. I note that the Garmin schedules definition of steady is MP and I am hoping it's just a different use of terminology otherwise I shall be pooped after week 1!!!!

One of those runs where the first couple of miles were a bit laboured and then I got into my stride and now feel better for going.

Happy running folks.

• Options

hello sue c, i was told that i have got my running clubs place in the flm on boxing day so have suddenly had to get my head around upping my training! I have a target of beating 3.30 and after seeing your target in rw today ,thought it would be great to tag along with your training regime if you don't mind.

I won't be able to follow it by the book as i live in a really hilly area and my big love is fell/trail running but hope to do the long weekend runs similar to you.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Gobi, I wonder indeed, must be a dammed fine runner though................................!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Sue C, congrats on being a 'super sixer', what a great way to start the year! Like bradnor, I've just found out I've got an FLM place through my club. Really looking forward to following your progress and picking up lots of great training tips. I'll look out for you at the Brass Monkey!
  • Options

Sue - Don't worry, us 3:15ers intend to share your experience as much as we can image Has Liz given you indicators of pacing for Brass Monkey yet?

• Options

Sue

Interested in your comment a little way back about being a bit of a nervous racer.

Personally, one of the things I like about running is that the only nerves I get are about the race itself and whether I will meet my expectations.  But at the end of the day I am the only one I am accountable to (I am not in a club so don't even have to worry about being a team "counter") and I am mostly interested in just enjoying the race and giving it  my best shot to hit my targets.  The worst that can happen is I will be a bit down on myself for a day or two if I don't get what I was looking for - not really something to get nervous about.  So prior to running I only ever feel what I would consider a healthy level of nerves- if that.

Prior to geting into running I played football.  I didn't play at a  high standard but was quite a nervous player.  I played centre back and would worry about making a mistake that would lead to a goal and letting team mates down.  Probably caused me to be too conservative a player.  Same with cricket too.  I loved playing team sports for  many reasons (the camaraderie, the feeling you get when you win as a team) and miss it a lot but that nervy aspect I have been happy to leave behind and don't find it to be present in running.

Not sure if any of this helps - I guess the way to deal with it is to get used to regularly donning a number so it doesn't seem so much of a big deal as per your plan.  And on April 26th just remember - we're all supporting you and wanting you to do well. No pressure! image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Rach use to be a nervous racer but has got much calmer thanks to doing lots of races.

RFJ, indeed very impressive.

SueC, 4th in the Duathlon. 3rd in the 2km. 2nd in the 5 miler. All in all very successful 24 hours. Legs are paying for the cycling a little :¬)
  • Options
    Sue - not discouraged at all, pretty amazed that I was able to drag my lardy arse that far. I was actually really pleased, more discouraged that my feet hurt so much. As CG says, we are all behind you and I will be following you progess for motivation as much as anything else. I saw you in Runner's World and wanted to say to my husband that I knew you but then my forum secret would be out. Hope your family are proud.  
  • Options

Gobi - Well done! I didn't know that you did anything other than run (and run and run and run....) A positive start to the New Year. No Tri plans though?!

Gobi/GE - Liz has said exactly the same thing, to race often. It is pretty much as you state GE, I think I put too much pressure on myself to perform and then I can't control my nerves and then either my breathing becomes really shallow or I become extremely negative as I run. Interestingly when it's a no pressure race I relax and thoroughly enjoy the experience and perform better. I did my first XC race recently with no expectations at all, had a ball and was first lady for our club and 3rd FV35.

Mr C did by me a couple of excellent books on this aspect of performance which I must refer back to again. I know it's rather ridiculous because no-one else is expecting me to break WRs or anything but I love my running and know I let myself down in races somewhat.

• Options

Bradnor - hello. Congrats on your place for the FLM. I will be looking for sub 3.30 - the training will determine how far under that will be I guess. I too live in a hilly area and I try to go off road as much as I can for the longer runs, haven't dared try fell running though!

Run Lizzie Run - Oh, you won't get near me at the Brass Monkey - the tabloids are a nightmare these days, I can't go anywhere..........................image

• Options

And Congrats on your place to btw!

CG - haven't thought about pacing for BM for even if it will be 'raced'. Have you got any thoughts for yourself - I know you were a bit concerned about your pace recently?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Happy New Year!

Just got my weekly RW email, so FLM must be approaching! 

Will you be following the RW Sub-3:15 schedule, or has Liz devised a new plan for you? I'll be using the sub-3:30, but the basics are the same and it'll be even more interesting to follow your progress if your training parallels what the rest of us are doing.

Good running, and wrap up warm....image

• Options

Hello Sue,image

Congratulations on being selected. I am looking forward to following this thread.

I have  ballot place (amazed to get one) and this will be my fourth flm. I have 3 children(9, 7 and 1) so time is tight ,but I just love my running so I guess it is like anything you have to make time to do the things you want...

Good luck to you and indeed all of us with a marathon in sight in 2009!

• Options
    As usual my RW hasn't turned up yet (I'm always last to get it). Looking forward to seeing the article when it finally arrives. image
  • Options

joddly - Happy New Year to you too. As far as I am aware I am following the Runners World sub 3.15 'Garmin ready' schedule although I suspect I am somewhere between this and sub 3.30 pace and therefore may have to adjust the suggested speeds to suit.

I think that the there is a link to my schedule on my profile page, my understanding is that we are all following a RW plan in order that others can literally 'share' the training, knowledge and expertise on the threads.

Obvious caveats apply re trying to race more and shifting the sessions around to suit my life etc and I am also assuming that Liz may suggest I work on specific areas of weakness I have as a runner but I guess we would all do that with any schedule anyway?

Hello Sequin - I have the 9 and the 7 year old but I lack the 1 year old and don't intend to acquire one either! Sounds like you have the right attittude. I am rarely sat in front of the telly watching Eastenders at 7.30pm of a week night, I am either running or catching up with the stuff I should have done while I was running! Do you have a time in mind or just to enjoy the whole experience?

Speedy - don't get too excited!

• Options

Hi Sue,

Having 3 is great! My youngest was much planned and eagerly awaited but it is great to be able to get back to running properly again.

Targetting 3.30 but would like to get as close to 3.15 if I can. Still not sure if I can do all the training though, so have an open mind at this point as to whether I will get to the start line. Did 3.12 in 2006 but that was with a huge amount of training...

• Options
    missed a turning on my long run today , intended an 11 mile run and ended up with a 12.5 mile run which took me up onto snow covered roads! All good fun though and i'm half way there timewise. How did everyone else's runs go today? I averaged about 8.30 miles which is slower than target time but taking some of the climbs into account i'm quite pleased.
  • Options

Snow covered road Bradnor!  Wow!  It's cold here, but warmer than it has been for a few days.  From what I have read it doesn't matter if your long runs are slower because it builds up your legs anyway.  I think there are other sessions which work on speed better.

I have just got back from a 13.5 mile run with a couple of my clubmates.  Slower than recent long runs avg 9 min per mile, but it was nice to run in the countryside and have a natter without feeling like my legs were going to fall off and my lungs explode!  It was probably a good idea to take it a bit easier today as I have HM race in two weeks so I need to taper a bit.  Saw quite a few runners who looked like they were on their new year's resolution fitness kick although I can't help wondering how many are starting their training for FLM.

• Options

Sequin - 3.12 is a superb time, very well done indeed. It's a huge huge commitment to train for a marathon, better that you have an open mind than to put pressure on yourself especially with a young family and the demands on your time/resources which go into that aspect of your life anyway. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

I drove to a reasonable flat route today to see if it would suffice for my threshold running. I suspect that it will be fine for marathon paced efforts but a little too undulating/busy for the faster tempo/threshold work which is in the schedule.

Anyway, I did 11.5 miles at a 'steady' pace (my description of steady is MP plus 1/1.5 minutes dependant on terrain, a pace where you can still speak reasonably comfortably etc but I notice that the schedule has steady as MP)

Most of those miles were clocked in at 8.20-8.30 apart from mile one at  8.40 (took a while to get used to the cold) and the last two which I upped the pace a bit to 7.40 and 7.35mm. Felt comfortable throughout and that I could have maintain steady pace for a good while longer had I taken some form of energy supplement with me.

So it all starts (fairly gently) tomorrow and my first question to Liz is whether to combine a planned XC race with my long run next Sunday, which will be pretty easy to do as the race is only a few miles from home or whether to switch the long run to another day or to not do the XC? I notice that week 2 on my schedule has a pretty tough speed session for the Tuesday and I suspect that would be compromised  if I do the XC race on Sunday. I am happy to go with whatever advice is given Liz.

Only other thing to mention is a planned HM on Sunday 18 Jan (end week 2) so the faster session I mentioned above might not be appropriate anyway given the race at the end of the week anyway.

Not that I want to mess up the first two weeks training or anything!

• Options

Cross post - good long runs from Bradnor and Dippy.

Dippy - my off road excursions are always slower but you get other benefits from off road running to compensate anway and it's always good to have company.

What was your target time Bradnor - 8.30's seem fine to me?

• Options

anything under 3.30 and i will be happy sue. I have a x country race aswell next weekend so i think i will do an 8 mile run on friday and do a 13 miler the following weekend.

good running dippy , it looks like we are all around the same sort of pace so hopefully we will all be able to help each other along.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Had a good weekend doing pre-marathon training prep.  Did 9 miles 'slow' on the road yesterday then a 5 mile off road charity run today. Not a race as such but still pushed on a bit.  Also, purchased a new running watch and latest RW for inspiration, as if I don't get enough here!

With running the last 2 days the first day of my schedule will be a rest day followed by interval work with the club on Tuesday night.

Feeling nervous but focused, and as someone said you don't need to be fit now - you need to be fit in April.

Dippy - my run yesterday was 9.30mpm but like you chatted and enjoyed.   A running friend always tells me the long runs are about time on your feel rather than speed. 

Good luck to everyone.

• Options

I have XC this weekend too - the Nottinghamshire County Championships on saturday. I'm moving my long run to wednesday then having Sunday off as I'm out partying for my friend's birthday on saturday night anyway.

So what's on the schedule for tomorrow Sue? Mine says 5 miles easy. Excellent!

• Options

Sue - As you know I am really worried about the pace I can run for Brass Monkey. I've only done a few speed sessions since I started following P & D and I feel very sluggish. I was thinking about maybe going for a marathon paced effort and saving my PB attempt for Wilmslow in March but I might just be being a wuss!

I did 19 miles yesterday at 8:40 pace but with lots of hills. I'm not worried about pace at all at this stage and with the amount of training I have been doing. 12 miles off road today in the sunshine.

• Options

Mmm - moving the long run might be a good option then, weird how you don't think of the obvious sometimes, week one is kind of gentle (frustratingly so if I might be so bold!) so moving the longer run of 12m to earlier in the week should be no great shakes.

Speedy - 4 miles (approx 35 mins) Think I can manage that! Keep meaning to ask you what was the best thing you took away from being part of the Dream Team and has it changed the way you train?

Minni - you are dead right, running should always be about enjoyment and if that is a slower run in the company of others or off road then all the better.

CG - It's early in the training for FLM anyway, Wilmslow might be a better bet. I know what you mean about feeling sluggish when you haven't done much faster work for a while. Nice long run and miles. I have seen your 2009 racing plans on the 3.15 - you nutter! Soooo tempted for Abingdon myselfimage

• Options

Sue - I've just had a quick look at your schedule and I assume the reasoning behind it is that week one should get you back into the rhythm gently, getting used to running 6 out of 7 days and ending with a longer run. Presumably the key runs will gradually increase in intensity and / or distance. As you know I am loosely following the Furman schedule so my Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday sessions should be similar to yours. In addition I see that you will be doing a mid week medium length run and two recovery runs. I quite like the look of your schedule though so I think I will start with my three runs a week then see if by body can cope with that extra midweek run. I have to listen to my aging, decrepit body though. I'd make the most of this easy week, looks like things hot up pretty quickly. You sound like you're raring to go so that rest seems to have done the trick.

CG - don't know how you're doing that P&D schedule.

Sequin - my kids are 8,7 and 4. Love having three, would have 4 if someone would be pregnant and give birth for me (and give me some more money). Given that you have a one year old, what time are you planning for this year?

• Options

Astride - The schedule I will be following peaks at 53 miles per week but has way more quality than I have done in the two previous attempts. I would never have done so much faster stuff for marathon training but I am nothing if not open minded and I will be giving it 100% commitment for the next 16 weeks. I might not have chosen the plan myself but what a great way to experiment with an alternative approach?!

There are sessions each week which are marathon training 'staples' and that I am used to doing anyway, i.e 5 x 20+ milers (plus 2 x 18's and the odd 16) and a mid week longer run (this will be the hardest to fit in from experience and I am glad I can work the days I choose rather than set hours!)

Actually the easier week fits quite well with getting back into a routine and catching up a little with post Christmas chores, my kids are not back to school until Tuesday anyway.

So, my training for tonight will be 4 miles - approx 35 minutes. We are rather icy here so I shan't worry too much about pace though if staying on my feet is a priority.

What's on the agenda for you this week?

• Options

Hi Sue, we've actually had snow down here which is quite unusual. The kids were having a snowball fight with the neighbours before school this morning.

It will be interesting to see how the different approach works for you, at least the weekly mileage should  feel quite tame to you. Enjoy your 4, the hardest thing will be doing it in exactly 35 minutes!

For me, runningwise - fast 5 on weds, 1k intervals on Friday, 16 - 18 miles on Sunday. Swam today and I'll try to fit in a gym session at some point. I'll keep an eye on your schedule though and may switch if I cope with three sessions a week.