Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options
    Glad cheek is improving, hope toothies are now feeling better.

No super long run this weekend, will do the half on Sunday and then go for 19-20 next week. Think i will decide on marathon pace after the half as i have no idea.

Remember i was very heavy at high school. Am now 10st2, I was nearly 11st last year at Brighton so very pleased. Have been following the Fit Naturally off the shelf plans - brilliant. Have so much more energy for eating better.

How did the new job go????
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

new job - so far so good! everyone is very friendly which took me by surprise - was used to no one speaking to me in my old job!! so once i have figures out what i'm supposed to be doing, it might work out nicely....

having severe mojo issues..... looked back at previous marathon plans and I'm doing ok - just feel like I'm not - and am struggling. 18 miler lined up for the weekend. am abandoning garmin for the time being as think that may be part of problem. am going to think miles not minutes for this one...

which half Abs? I;m thinking of the Kingston breakfast run on 1 april - have done it twice before and it's 16 miles which is a good yardstick 3 weeks out.

right - dinner - time for a glass of fizz.....image

• Options
    Was Cambridge Half - i did 1.55.50ish. Was a good course, little bottlenecked in places but once on the second lap, it was fine. felt strong throughout and managed to reel people in in the last mile which was nice. First mile 9.48, last mile - 8.32, averaged at 8.49 so very chuffed. Approached as a progressive run, did 7 miles hard side of steady, then a 40min hard threshold, then hung on til the end. Bit peaved as was chip timing and they took splits about 5 times, but confirmed time as gun time. Hopefully when results are up will be adjusted.

Glad job is going well, colleagues should be nice - how horrible to work somewhere and be ignored. I would not cope with that, am way too sensitive.

Kingston sounds good, is 2 weeks before brighton so prob a bit close to join you. Dont stress about training, sure it is going much better than you think. I look forward to cheering you on. Will be there again, though hopping to different places.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

woohoo Abs! I did think about you yesterday but forgot to log in last night and then have been at work today image - fabulous news - think you are definitely getting alittle speedy for us more mature ladeeeez! (sorry am unfairly lumping wotsit and tatty in with me!) like the way you approached it.

am doing a 17-18 miler tomorrow, will tollow your example and try and split it up a bit - first half very easy i reckon and then take it from there.....

• Options

I am so very impressed and not a little jealous of Abs' fab racing.  Have you come down from it yet? 

I've been googling Fit Naturally - that looks interesting.  Has it been empowering having someone else set up your diet plan?  My weight is going in the other direction at the moment, given that a) I'm not running very much because my foot is playing up and I'm working too many hours to be very well able to fit it in and b) I'm enjoying a glass of wine/gin most evenings, as well as chocolate.  And cake. But my stress levels are ever so high, which makes my heart rate crazy high, which must mean my metabolism is sky high too, right?

And collapse.

Sorry if I keep missing you posting - my email thing isn't emailing me when someone has posted any more and its ever so confusing!

Hope the long run went well Gladrags?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

oh yes - long run gradually expanded until it became 20.5 miles! avg pace was 10.28 with a negative split! all good. planning another long run on monday - but that's dependent on m being well enough for school - he has a flu type bug at the mo...

Fit naturally - not heard of it? Think a new programme can give a boost to weight loss? I've been doing well recently (just bought some size 10 jeans image) but wonder if that will suffer with the snacking at work......

hope the foot recovers soon wotsit - how irritating...

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

yin and yang - after spending the whole week telling everyone what a great 20 mile run I had..... I then had a horrible 16 mile disaster yesterday.

Ireally messed up- failed to eat or hydrate properly the day before, wore far too many clothes on a warm morning, didn't set off until nearly 10am after having breakfast at 6, etc etc etc. struggled from about 12 miles until eventually I gave in and got the bus home. I have never done that before image - I think my body is just getting too old for these things......

am trying to be upbeat. main focus now is to get another solid ten days of decent training under my belt (max distance probably 10) before the Kingston Breakfast run on 1 April. Gah!

• Options

What guff!  You just got the coordination wrong, nothing at all to do with your age.  And you know that its pretty common to follow an awesome run with a dreadful one and vice versa.  Chin up - you're my source of vicarious running!

Foot not so bad this week, but being careful with it.  Even the wrong shoes throws it all out.  Not doing brilliantly with the mental health at the moment either.  Struggling big time with the balance - so working more helps not think about stuff at home, but leads to not seeing kids enough, or having enough time to get stuff done, which makes me feel stressed, which is compounded by the extra work.... I need Easter in a big way - and for my in laws to have the kids for a few days so I can get on top of everything at work and home.  Really I need a magic wand.  Anyone got one?

• Options
    Does anyone else find that posting on this seems to crash the system?
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

yes - posting = system error.... no idea what's happening.

magic wand would be great! impossible to get the right kids/work/relationship/exercise balance - as soon as one thing is straight, something else kicks off....... wishing you a magic wand right now.....

you are clearly right - what guff - am wallowing. will straighten self out soon.......

• Options
    Yep i have been getting the error message too and no longer get an email when anyone posts. Are they trying to tell us something - this thread most certainly cannot die until everyone has the 4.30 (not that it should anyway)
    Have a crappy left knee that hurts when walking - going to see physio tomorrow but am convinced the marathon aint gonna happen.

No magic wand here but agree that one would very useful. Balancing everything is a pain in the a*** at times and virtually impossible. I really hope things get better for you Wotsit - sending big warm hugs.

Fit Nat plan is fab - has made me start eating properly and stop skipping meals in favour of fatty snacks. Easy to follow, and very varied. Most meals are ready within 30mins and ideal for whole family. She has been brill with pre race nutrition and long run nutrition advice too.

Gladrags - you still have your best marathon to come, def nothing to do with age - sometimes that run just happens. You will be fab.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

poorly knee - oh  no - fingers crossed that the physio visit goes well - you are so due to smash the 4h30 mark....

the supporters groups are all back up again. am feeling a little bit of that old excitement.... wish there was just a little bit more time as ideally would like to get another 20 miler under my belt before kingston.... but am sticking to the thought that it's better to be undertrained and fresh.....

right. another day at work tomorrow and then 6 miles tempo on friday. actually looking forward to it!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

oh and you knwo my disastrous 16 mile run?

finally looked at the garmin splits and average pace was only 4 seconds per mile slower than the fab 20 miler......

pah!

• Options

Ha!  All about perception.  You are going to be fabulous.  I loved Kingston when Ali and I did it a couple of years ago.

Hope the knee is getting well rested Abs - am sending huge healing vibes your way.  Nightmare.

Foot still on the mend... fingers crossed.  Bit stressy after a killer week, but the weekend is upon us and it is sunny AND there is only 1 more week till the easter hols.  Hurrah!

• Options
    I am still here image Abs, how is the leg? Sending huge healing vibes your way. And a huge WELL DONE on the weight loss, I am in awe. Mine has gone in the wrong direction and about 10 st 7 (ugh!) but I think I have it under control now. Was doing lots of binge/purge when I was marathon training but attempting to diet...yes, I know! The marathon training is, well, completely knackered due to 5 weeks of virtually nothing doing. Got flu, then couldn't seem to shake it off, then got pharyngitis and a chest infection that has seen me signed off work for the week! So I really doubt that I am going to even start. It is 5 weeks on Sunday!!!

Anyway, enough with th moaning!!! I will stop being such a lazy moo and get on here much more often. FB is not enough to keep in touch properly. image

Wotsit,, yes, hooray to hols!!!

Gladrags, great long running image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

yay to Abs on the 4 miler.... everything crossed...

tatty -sooooo nice to have you back! sorry to hear about the flu.... can you defer your marathon place? sending hugs....

have had a v drunken weekend - 2 hangovers in succession image - been a while since that happened!! but am going to sober up now for this last push.

• Options
    Sadly no deferral for Shakespeare image But I am transferring my place to someone who is raising money for JDRF and didn't register on time, doh! And she is giving me my entry fee back, so happy days all round. Feeling stronger every day so will hopefully be OK to attempt a run later this week. Am very cautious about starting back again in case I get poorly!

Shame I can't get out for a run too - could really do with one right now. Walking is OK to clear my head. I had a miscarriage last week, you see. I haven't told anyone else apart from hubby. I am on Clomid - first cycle for a while last month. The pregnancy obviously didn't take for whatever reason and I started bleeding heavily the day after my positive test (would have been 4 weeks gone). Had been spotting for about a week before that so was a bit on edge anyway. On the positive side, I know it works for me. I have one last round of tablets to take before I have done my maximum of 6 cycles on it. I feel a bit numb and detached about it all because I suppose I didn't, have chance to get excited but I still feel like I need to grieve somehow image Weird. What is meant to be will be though!

Onwards and upwards! image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

oh tatty - hugs..... am a big believer in the need to let things out - I have spent a lot of time crying and talking to myself over various things. Best to do that when you're alone! Hope that you have a calm week to get your head together a bit. Thinking of you.

k

• Options
    Oh Tatty, sending huge hugs your way. I know how much you wanted this, a loss is a loss regardless of the time. It will happen for you again. Sounds like a wise move re the marathon, there will be others, i hope you are feeling on the mend now from your infection.

Gladrags - do you have your number etc, i will keep an eye out. Not going to be at Mile 17 but will be other places if you have any requests.

Fingers crossed that Brighton will still happen, will try another run tomorrow and am back to see physio on Friday. He is keen that i still run but keep it gentle (nothing long fast or hilly!!)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, hugs much appreciated image Hoping to get out for a run in the next day or two as well and start my comeback!

Abs, have you been running today? How is it?
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

well done Tatty - think gentle run the Spring sunshine can be very cathartic.

Abs - how goes it? Brighton- yay or nay??? Do you have a good support team lined up down there? Am thinking if you need an extra jelly baby/gel stop that I could come down? Would be lovely to see you on the way round..... where are you planning to stand? I guess for me, the really tough bit is out of docklands and down through that tunnel - but I can see why supporters wouldn't stand there!

I have predicted my time (via the fridge magent that they now send out!) as 4.45.21. Ideally it would be about 6 mins faster than that - but if it's hot, it will be  slower...... Don't know if that's any good for you - depends on who else you're spotting?

• Options
    I am hoping Brighton is a yay - i have done 2 runs, both ok and will do another tomorrow. I am back at physio on Friday so fingers crossed he is happy and gives the thumbs up. I have some family coming down i think, but if you are about then fab - i forget it is quite an easy journey from London isnt it. We used trains last year and was so easy.

I am going to London, am supporting a few people prob around similar times too. Which mile is Docklands roughly - i am rubbish with London. Will check the map out. Are you getting excited? Fridge magnet eh - wow! Is the 6 mins for a pb?

I was going for the 3 goals thing 4.10, 4.15 and 4.20 but will see how it pans out now. 4.10 would see me take hubbys pb which would be funny although unlikely now.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

If it's a sunny Sunday, we might make it a family day out to Brighton.....

Docklands supporters groups are at mile 17 - think may well send Dave and the kids there as at least there'd be people to chat to and stuff to keep the kids from getting bored.... I reckon for supporters, the Embankment (mile 22/23/24) would be most fun?or somewhere just after Tower Bridge mile 13/14?

the 6 mins would be a post kids PB! Pre-kids I did 4h27 and even with perfect conditions, am not sure that is achievable?

Cannot really focus too much on the time thing - last year I ran 4h40in Essex and had a nightmare - v hot day and walked a lot towards the end. The year before in London, conditions were perfect - I ran the whole way and was v pleased with self. And I also ran 4h40! I think it's partly in my head, and partly the sheer congestion at London? gah!

Tatty/Wotsit - all good? any running?

• Options
    Completely agree - congestion makes a huge difference and once you find space it is hard to find a natural pace. Brighton last year was like that for the first few miles.

I stood at mile 22 last year so could cheer people on at 13 and 22. Got there early and found a brill spot.

Now off to do the disco drop off

• Options
    I have running to report! image only 14 mins, mind, which was 4 mins run, 1 min walk, 6.5 min run plus 2.5 min cool down, but it is something. I am SO unfit!!! Muscles have memory, right?!

• Options

Full of cold here, so little running this end of the week, but gloriously it is now the holidays and the kids are off to Grandma's tomorrow afternoon to stay for the week.  Yes, really.  The whole week.  Well, until Friday lunchtime when we join them, but I'm not complaining image  Am very much looking forward to just rocking in from work and not having to run around after anyone.  And being able to run when I want because there are no students and therefore no set times for anything at work.  Marvellous.

Tatty - I am so sorry, that is really sad news.  Not that it goes any way towards helping, but you have a big fertility bounceback after a miscarriage and lots of people (including me, when I had the small boy) get pregnant straight after having one.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Its a hard time, so I'm glad to hear you have run. God knows how I would have survived this year without being able to get out running.

Yes, muscles have memory.  Don't forget that a) you have been ill b) your body has had a trauma and c) so has your mind.  Be gentle on yourself for a bit.  I have been so stressed recently that my running has been doubly hard, just running with the addition of an already high heart rate and tense shoulders.  It does make a huge difference.

Don't start me off about London congestion image

Abs - my favourite places as a supporter are around canary wharf, where it almost doubles back on itself, so you can whip across and see runners at mile 15 and 19?  Something like that... its a long time!  I always love the embankment supporters.  They've done a lotfor my morale in that home straight.

Gladrags - I sense a spring full of PBs image

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

bleurgh image

did something a bit daft tihs morning. forgot to take my daily meds before going to kingston (I usually double the dose for runs over 13 mlies) - so was worried about how i would cope from the beginning. (meds are steroids as have a dodgy adrenal gland)

i thought it was lack of motivation when i kept stopping to walk - but actually, at the end of the race i was very unwell. some kind soul encouraged me to jog the last half mile - aren't runners great. but i was really disorientated by the end. actually could not speak to her other than to grint "thanks" - everything ached and my head was spinning.

somehow managed to drive home and then have spent the afternoon in bed being ill.

if this is solely due to not taking meds then ok -chalk it up to experience. but not a good last long run before VLM.....

going to take it easy for a couple of days to get bakc to full strength. then i need some confidence building activities for the next 3 weeks...... thoughts?

sorry v self focused - brilliant running Abs - fingers crossed for Brighton. and well done Tatty - we all have to start somewhere?

losing kids for a week sounds good. we are all trouping up to cheshire for easter weekend - if only i could opt out!

• Options
    Oh dear, Gladrags image Hope you're OK now - sounds pretty serious? It does sound absolutely like it was due to no meds and you have been going great guns of late, so try not to worry...easy for me me to say, I know! Maybe get out and do something shorter and faster for confidence?

Thank you, Wotsit, you are always so sensible. And kind image I know I am my own worst enemy when it comes to things like this. I am sure that half of the problem with my fertility is stressing about it! We do now have a nice few days away though - off to Bulgaria tomorrow (child free!!!) so perhaps that might help image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Hope you have a lovely weekend Tatty - think a weekend focusing on coupley things is good for the soul! We have one planned in early May and I can't wait!

Taper plan is now radically different from in previous years - this is all about getting my confidence back and making sure I'm on tip top form to do this. Aiming for a 90 minute enjoyable run this weekend to remind me why I do this!

Everyone ok? Abs - what's the latest?

• Options
    Hope the run went well Gladrags - sorry you had such a nasty experience at the race, but def sounds like the meds - def not your training. You are doing fabimage

Some time away Tatty sounds like exactly what you need. Hope you get to have some chill time and a bit of head space. Thinking of you lots.

I am still hanging in there. The run last weekend was a disaster but think it was a day too soon. The physio manipulated my rotated pelvis back and i stupidly ran the next day instead of waiting. Was a very uncomfortable 16m and destroyed my confidence for doing another 10. Feel a bit better this week and am just going to go with it and see what happens. Can feel the calf but praying that it holds.

Heading off to a camp on Monday so will not be able to check in here but will try and post on FB.