Options

Mersey Tunnel 10K

Comments

• Options

When I entered this race I'd never actually covered the distance... have now though!

Its provided the motivation to move on from 5k up to 10k.

I've covered the full 10k in about 54minutes twice now. Even managed 7.5miles last Wednesday, (furthest I've ever run and did it in 1hr 08min)

Now that I know I can do the distance in under 60 min, I'll just concentrate on getting my legs used to the mileage between now and the race, and worry about improving times for whatver 10k I go for next.

Whatever my time it will be a PB!

Due to run tonight and not sure if I should do a fast 4 or 5 mile, or if I should go for a steady 10k.... depends how lazy I'm feeling!

• Options
    Kicked-it thats great to hear, you sound like you're more than prepared for the end of May.
  • Options

ST - thanks for the parking advice. You'll have to find some way of identifying your 'lucky' space so we don't snaffle it - something subtle of course!

Sounds like everyone's training is in hand. I'm too busy running other races before this one! Just back from Leeds half, this w/e it's Cure Leukaemia 10k in Sutton Pk, then marshalling Race4Life at the NEC.

• Options

sorry to jump in like this, but have entered this event and would just like to know what sort of climb is it out of the tunnel. ie is it a 200ft climb over a mile sort of thing. I know it sounds a bit heavy but there's no point in training on slopes when the race is an actual bloody bugger of a climb.

do not like surprises       

chosp

• Options

It's not too terrible Michael, I promise you! It's a gentle-ish incline over about half a mile. Sprint down to the bottom of the tunnel, and then maintain perceived effort but push slightly forwards and you'll be fine! I was really worried about the "hill" but when I got out of the tunnel I recall thinking "is that it?"

The one thing that I was miffed about was when you're out of the tunnel that isn't QUITE the end of the climb. There is a shortish bit more to go, then a flight of stairs to get you effectively above the tunnel entrance, which leads to the promenade. Once you see the Liverpool skyline from the other side of the water I don't think you'll be disappointed and it's as flat as a pancake from thereon in.

Hope that helps image

• Options
    oooo LB where are the firemen image
  • Options
    Now hold on. First they tell me there's a slope - fine. Then there's steps - sounds a bit of a nuisance. Now it's a flight of stairs? I want my money back!
  • Options

The firemen were at about 7k ish....... They had their hoses out and everyfink..image Properly cheered me up it did!

There's more than a few steps Road Kill, but it's the last bit of climbing.image

• Options

jay - thats a good run out mate, if you keep that up youll have no probs. I did my first long run for 2 years on sunday, and pleased to report no niggles after it, and went out today and did another 45 mins so im starting to feel confident!!! If i was a bit lighter id predict a quicker time, but im just trying to get as close to 40 mins as poss!!! Ive gotta 5k race on sunday (knowsley corporate cup, knowsley hall) and then a 5 mile race on the tuesday at walton park... im definetely going to beat my 10k time at bolton last month which was 45.27, but not sure by how much but i dont think you can be unhappy if your making progress!!!

road-kill - the lucky space will be identified by any car parking there other than mine having no wheels after the race!!! image

has everyone got their £1.40 for the tunnel fare ready to throw in the bucket?!?! image

• Options

LOL x2!

Those charity bucket-wielders are getting clever!

I've been racing for just over a year now, and almost every race I get a PB by a small margin (8 secs one time) - gradual progress has its rewards! I'm closing in on a 40 min 10k too.

• Options

Alan,

Firstly, a huge Thank You to you and all who make the effort to provide and organise 'local' races.  We do not have anywhere near enough in the North West and North of Wales. 

Secondly, I know I've left it late in the day but If i enter this one by post am I likely to get a place or is it looking near full??  Will be needing places for both me and OH.  It's one we both really want to do! 

Thanks!

• Options

Mynx - entry by post is open until Friday. Be QUICK!!!!

Download the entry form here

• Options

Thanks Liverbird!  image  Forms printed, shall get them filled out and posted today!

Really looking forward to this one... Did the Muller 10k last Sunday so the Tunnel Run has a lot to compete with but the novelty of running through the tunnel alone is enough to make it special!

And firemen with hoses out... What more could a girl want?! image

• Options
    Really looking forward to the firemen now image
  • Options

There are firemen for the women....

Alan is there going to be anything for the boys there?

• Options
    well said jay... cheerleaders or bikini clad ladies with sponges at the finish?! image
  • Options
    Jay Snizzel wrote (see)

There are firemen for the women....

Alan is there going to be anything for the boys there?

Firemen! We don't discriminate round here....image

I'll shake my booty at ya if you smile nicely.....image

• Options
    here we go a volunteer!!! do you fancy being a cheerleader or bikini sponger liverbird?!  image
  • Options
    Cheers LB, i'll be wearing my biggest grin! image
  • Options

Well my entry forms have been completed and posted so fingers crossed I'm in!

Really looking forward to this one... And not just because of the Firemen!

• Options
    I do hope you'll be wearing more than that, Jay... image
  • Options

Good luck to everyone running this race, looks like we got ourselfs a convoy!

Have just started to run again after a 12 week lay off - had a speed dial straight to the samaritans.

Have ran a couple of leisurely 10k's and me knee is still intact.

Running the Manchester BUPA 10k on sunday and then the Tunnel 10K - but wont be doing any fast times. just really made up to be running again,  you dont appreciate how uplifting it is until you cant run!

see you all there!

• Options

Hi David!

I had a bout of not running the start of the year for various reasons and only picked up my training again these last two weeks so I know exactly where you're coming from there! 

Good luck for the Bupa 10k on Sunday image 

• Options

David I too know what you're going on about, the first month and a half of this year i just couldnt get out for a run for whatever reason, now i'm back into it i'm loving it.

And Road Kill i might wear some running shoes as well.

• Options
    Thank heavens for that Jay, I was really worried about your feet.
  • Options
    where's my race pack? i read somewhere they were getting sent out from the 8th may, i'm too excited,can't contain myself, c'mon I WANT MY NUMBER AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • Options
    lol image ive already asked i wanna put my number on my pre-ironed race top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apparently should start receiving them next few days
  • Options

PLEASE don't ring or e-mail about race packs. You WILL receive in plenty of time.

They are going out.

Alan Rothwell

'runliverpool' initiative

• Options

I think there's barely a race I've entered where people haven't started panicking about their race packs.

I'm sure there are perfectly valid logistical reasons for delaying issue, for example if there are late changes to the route, parking arrangements or whatever, then the organisers don't want to have to send out new information after the original pack. There do seem to be exceptions, however - the record for me so far is 7 weeks and 5 days for the 'Not the Roman IX', 18 Jan 09, pack received 25 Nov 08. Shakespeare Marathon and Hornsea 1/3 Marathon both did well too - both over 6 weeks.

I have yet to face a situation though where the pack hasn't arrived at least a week before the event.

• Options

No race pack here yet either but these things are always very well organised so I am not worried but I am keen to get my race number & am really gearing myself up for the big day now, just 2 weeks to go ! Yipeee .... !!     image

Thanks for the car park advise Road Kill - sound like Brunswick is the best bet as I will have to drive up early that day at silly o clock & dont want to be paniking about finding a space. Sounds like some great training going on - I have been out doing runs with my 10 year old daughter on her bike, trying to keep up with her - we must look a sight & get some very funny looks ! I will be very happy with a sub 1 hour, my PB for 10K is 1hours 6 mins so just need a good start & keep the momentum up but after doing my first half earlier this year that should not be a problem.