Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    Ha ha, I hadn't thought of that!  image
  • Options

Hi Guys,

1st ever road marathon and feeling the nerves now!!! imageEEKKKKK!!!!  Im experienced at running but not marathons and I think that makes it worse cos everyone thinks you'll be good. Mega excited though. image

Just wondering if anyone knows what its like for spectators and if its easy to place relatives in suitable spots for support and energy drink supplying?

Also, are there any loos on route? seem to have developed the need to wee at about 20 mins in to every run over the last month! image

See you all on Sunday image

• Options

Hi AC

Have you been checked for diabetes if needing toilet every 20 mins?

I have type 2 and that was the tell tale sign with me i have had it for 3 years now but its controlled by diet so nothing really to worry about. My folks will be at east goscote where we run at 8 miles and then back around 12 i think so thats a good place to get your drinks.

Whats everyones numbers so i can say hello as i run past sorry i mean you run past me lol

I'm 24

Really looking forward now god help me saturday night i bet i dont sleep to well. I did the kibworth half last sunday and could i get to sleep saturday? No

Chat soon all the best for Sunday

• Options
    you were keen blake with 24!
  • Options

Got my race pack today - number 651 image

Question - the info leaflet says water stations will be available every 3 miles. Will these also have any energy (high 5) drinks? Just trying to decide whether to carry gels, or rely on drinks stations.

AC Ginger - good luck with your first mara. You'll be fine, I'm sure, just enjoy it (till about 20 miles, anyway!).

• Options

Thanks Blake- I don't think I have diabetes- its only the first 20 mins when I need a wee- im just rubbish at planning my water intake and now worrying I'll have to do an emergency stop 3 or 4 miles in!

Thanks for the guidance for 8 and 12. Been studying the map from the web site to see where the likely tough spots will be for me. East Goscote does look good for spectating and Ill need it at 12 but also near the end.

Yes, BuunyPhobia- I know the its 20 miles where the marathon begins. Im dreading that point!!! Hoping the fun of the day will keep me going. If yu find out about the drinks can you let me know cos like you I think I'll need some well before 18 miles and I suspect all the gells will be gone by the time I get there!!

No number yet- am hoping it will be there when I get back from work. Prob be running with you Blake- Im aiming for about 4.10

AC

• Options

www.discount-supplements.co.uk

For next day delivery energy gel pack 5 for 2.99 and free posting in time for sunday

i order all the time always next day delivery

• Options

Mixed messages in the  race pack. 

The sweep vehicle "will be travelling at 14mph behind all the runners" so, unless that is a misprunt, even the sainted Paula would be out of the race. 

On the other hand, the race number does have an image of an electric milk float which suggests rather less haste.

• Options

Thanks Blake- just ordered some in! Saves a trip to Up and Running on my day off on Weds.

• Options

Also, Blake, Been plotting some mile markers on the route and I think the miles through East Goscote are more like 11 and 16.

Just in case you want to see your folks before those distances. 8 is in Barkby and 12 Rearsby. Hope that helps

AC

• Options

Thanks for that AC i will take a couple of gels with me before i get to east goscote i was wishful thinking it was nearer please let me know your number so i can look out for you

• Options
    I was having a look at that energy gel pack blake posted and saw it had a sachet of the High 5 Extreme drink in it. I bought a tub of that once not realising it had caffeine in it and by the end of a thirsty long run I was as high as a kite! Also the caffeine might not help AC's pee problems.
  • Options

your 2 old to be running lol

will look out for you on day. Must be a misprint on race sweep vehicle unless it leaves say 3 and half hours after the runners?

• Options

suddy yes its full of caffeine but it seems to work for me and at that price you cant go wrong for a boost on the day. Anyway what time are you going to set for a new world record?

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up Suddy. Ill leave the 'extreme' one at home. The other ones sounded quite good though. I'm nervous to use High 5 as never used it before but it's what they are using on the way round so not too much choice really!
  • Options

Blake -  my mate did a 1:35 half last year that I had to pull out of due to an accidental snowboard sommersault a few weeks before, so man rules say I have to beat that. Whether my pesky knee is up for it is a surprise I'm leaving for the day.

AC - I find energy drinks all much of a muchness apart from that crazy extreme stuff but if it works for others you could test it out in the week.

• Options

i have been using go gels, as they are easy to swallow without water. BLAKE  what are the names of the gels on the website that you posted and where can i see them on the site. cheers

• Options
    opps just found the gels i think. they are high 5 for £2.99image
  • Options
    Yeah I like the go ones too. But for £2.99 its worth trying the High 5 ones. I just find some of them a bit too strong. I think I'll steer clear of trying the 'extreme' one for the first time during my first marathon although thinking about it.... it might generate a good excuse if its all goes t$ts up on the day!
  • Options

Hi you get 2 high 5 gels different flavours, 2 4:1 energy source add to drinks, 2 high 5 super carbs add to drink and exreme high 5 one with all the caffeine in.

Pack is called high 5 race faster on the website its on offer at the min

Sound weird but legs dont hurt as much after run with these Sorry you dont get 5 you get 7 things for 2.99

• Options
    How many gels (if any) do folks think half runners should go for?
  • Options

Suddy i read somewhere one every 3 miles is ok but i think its down to the person. I will be loaded up from the start by having drinks etc before. I will carry 4 gels until i meet my folks in east goscote where i will get some more. I might be as high as a kite but i need to finish image

• Options

I never had any gels last week on the half but was hurting 1.58. Trained this week with the gels and drinks and seem faster and less sore so i think they work and its not in the mind.

I have only been running this year and entered this race seems ages ago hence number 24. Last week was my first ever race and got a good time as mostly hills and turns. This will be the first of many marathons i hope

• Options

Mr G, Frank M, BO, Gingerbreadman, other sub3 aspirants...

(Note to self-Need to get a cooler moniker....) Anyway. My pacing plan too is to try to stick at 6.45  to 6.50 miles from the start. Might have to accept 5 -10secs per mile quicker for first few assuming I start to slow a tad towards the end. I'm number 288 - running in a pack sounds a good plan to me if it works out.

Fraser W

• Options

yes i do agreen with fraser  about slowing down towards the end of the marathon.it has happen to me before. so it will be good to have some to spare time  just in case we do slow alot. 

this website i talked about before, www.GoodRunGuide.co.uk  you can get the leicester marathon and a lot of other races of course. but the best part about this site,  it gives you a good idea what time for each mile you will be doing, once you put time you want to finish the race at.  it tells you where the small hills are and how steep they are. they reckon the steepish is at mile 8. at 22 metres up, then the next steepish is at miles 25 and 26. at 15 metres up. 

i put in my time for example 2.55. it says my fastest mile will be 6.31 and my slow will be 7.46.           GUYS check out the website, you all might have see this site before.

• Options

I ran this in 2007 (3:11) and, despite spending 3yr at Leicester Uni (83-86), I never realised the area to the north was as hilly. The write-up says this course is faster, Anyone know just how different it is?

Thanks
    Mark

• Options

You shouldn't needs any gels for the half marathon. Providing that you have tapered correctly and ate normally/carbo loaded the body will have more than enough fuel.

For the marathon, a gel every 5 miles but nothing after 20 miles - anything after 20 is too late.

• Options

Any help? Woke up this morning feeling really chesty with a cough to go with it. My lad is same and off school this is all i need 5 days before the big day. Whats the best things to take to work the fastest to clear me?

Thanks

• Options
    Sean G - I wouldn't say I've done anything as scientific as a taper, but I have been sitting on my arse a lot during the last month with a sore knee. Does that count?