Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    I think it is scientically called a couch po_taper?    image
  • Options
    Anyone need a number? Virus in the last few weeks has put paid to this race for me.
  • Options

Bad luck Blake. Hopefully be ok by Sunday. There is loads of stuff going around up Leeds way and Im trying hard to shelter myself but its rude to not let your mates into your house!!!

Drink plenty of water. Try some Vitamin C- either oranges or you can get tablets from the chemist or boots or even the supermarket. And regular paracetamol to keep your temperature down. The other good herbal thing is called Enchinea ( not sure I spelt that right!) which some of my medical mates rave about and I used it a few years ago and it seems ok. Night Nurse is amazing for a great nights sleep and normally wake up feeling better.

Good luck

• Options

Bad luck Barnsley - Is there no hope for the weekend?

My guess is most people have entered & done the training. I'll ask tonight at the Club as I know one guy has been training for the full and his name is not on the list on the website? 

• Options

As for gels- I agree no real need on a half from my experience.

For a marathon- prob about once every 5-6 miles. Although to be honest I never take my own advice and often don't take my first til about 10! Take them before you think you need them- its like drinking water- once you feel thirsty it too late. Once you feel you need a gel you are already beginning to suffer.

Good luck everyone

• Options

Suddy, I agree with Sean G - you should not need any gels for a half. Your body has more than enough energy stores for 13.1 miles. For marathon runners it's a completely different story. You can quite easily run out of fuel and the gels help stop this from happening.  I'll take one every 5 miles until 20 miles.

Number 499

• Options

Blake, I hope it's not too serious. I was ill last week but that has subsided now. Did nothing more than get good sleep, take some vitamins and paracetamol. I even managed to run and race through it (and ran really well). Possibly I was very lucky. I have heard it said if the cold is in your head you can run through it but if it is on the chest you need to rest.

BR, sorry to hear that. Are you looking at doing something else later ?

• Options
    Re gels:    Have to disagree with you Sean about not taking them after 20 miles.  Gels normally kick in after about 10 minutes      A slower runner may well have an hours running  to go at 20 miles and gels can certainly get you over the wall
  • Options
    Doing a half I usually take a gel about 20 minutes before the start & then around the 9 miles / 1 hour mark. Works for me & I guess unless you have used them in training or before don't try anything new.
  • Options

Hi guys thanks for the advice sitting drinking a hot lemon with vic on chest to hopefully clear me out. Lad been doctors and has chest infection i am hoping its not going to get me i am really looking forward to sunday fingers crossed i will be there.

Feel ill at the minute might try a run later to sweat it out if poss is that a good thing to do?

• Options

There is nothing to be gained this week by going running Blake. Excercising is more likely to bring your imune system further down. Let your body use all it's energy to fight the infection. You just concentrate on getting better before Sunday.

Owl.

• Options
    sorry to here that blake, that you are feeling abit rough. but that is good advice from owl,  and you might even find the rest will do you very good. as i beleive a rest day can be better then a training day. so take it easy and rest up.
  • Options

Thanks guys i have taken some all in one tablets and just taking is easy dont know if its a 24 hr cold yet but do feel sightly better at this time of day

Thanks for all the advice everyone

• Options

Not sure if Bob is still lookign at this thread but was wondering if there is a contingency plan if the race packs don't reach us before the weekend.

I am only asking because I still haven't got my London Marathon magazine yet, the post is so bad down in South London so am concerned my race pack may not reach me in time. Surely there must be others worried about this as well???

• Options

On the web site it says "ALL RACE PACKS WILL BE SENT OUT 2ND CLASS BY THE FRIDAY 2ND OCTOBER
    IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOURS BY WEDNESDAY 7TH OCTOBER
    PLEASE RING 0116 2318431."

I assume they will reissue numbers on the day for those who have not got theirs.

• Options

Fraser Wells,

Our pacing will be similar. Perhaps we should do the first 4 miles solo which look to be downhill and then have a look around and get together enroute. I will be happy to run in a pack after I am warmed up but normally take half a mile or so to hit sub seven pace. I will write everyones race numbers on the back of my arm so I can recognise any of the sub 3 aspirants. I am number 137 and will be wearing a pair of offensively yellow Adizero Tempo's. As far as fade is concerned, i think unless you are a highly conditioned 70-100 mpw runner then this is inevitable. I think I will need to hit 20 at 6:45 AV to have a chance. I can feel the pain just thinking about it. Bollocks. That last mile looks like a possible 8 min mile aswell. Just for info, I will be taking 3 SIS go gels to take at 4,9 and 14 with the free one at 18. Not sure how much good they do. Ran one marathon on just water and didn't really feel any different. Still felt like crying for my mum from mile 23 through to the finish.lol.

• Options
    I see on the race pack info sheet that there are pens for different projected finishing times. Anyone have any further details?
  • Options

Evening all

My pack arrived today number 119 so hope all have wed. Anyone checked out the weather forcast yet?

• Options
    Just entered on Sunday night... think I'm on a suicide mission, a complete lack of training for 26 since London in April. But ran last year and surprised myself by running a PB after 25 years of trying.Did not look at the time once till the fininish line, so thought I would try the same tactic again.  Looking forward to trailing behind all you lot who are aiming for sub 3hs, I not quite that quick but if any of you pace it wrong watch out.
  • Options
    Got my number today 1189.
    Forecast for Sunday in Sunny.

If you go to the BBC website & the weather section, just type in LE2 as the postcode. Weather does change but it's looking good for Sunday!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather
  • Options

excellant news on the weather!

Race pack receivde number 601!

• Options

Thanks for the various gel advice. I am used to using them in marathons so I think I might take a couple of them just to feel 'right'.

Bad luck BR, I hope you're not too gutted and get well quick Blake.

• Options
    hhmmm, anyone check the wind? - it's forecasting 16mph image
  • Options
    Thanks for the commiserations.  I coppped swine flu and whilst I'm over the worst I had an Abingdon number as a back up anyway and I think it's best to err on the cautious side and not risk bringing any virus back out for a 2nd go!
  • Options

metcheck is forcasting 13 degrees and 2mph winds.

Personally, I'm hoping for light drizzle and no wind.

BOB, do we have a final head count yet?

• Options

Accuweather  has 19km/h winds with gusts to 51km/h (11 to 30mph)image

Direction is NNW which I think will make the wind behind us on the way back image

• Options
    Who else is doing the half?  I've completely forgotten who but my number is 45 if anyone wants to say hi. Probably be in a blue t-shirt trying to keep up with an unmissable 6'3" guy and his even more gigantc mates.
  • Options

Are there that many people out there who have not got the race packs yet?

Presume if it does not turn up, there is going to more faffing about in the morning before the race... not great prep for my first marathon... image

Sending race packs out 2nd class when post is having a nightmare at the moment was a bit short sighted, I would have paid more for a first class deilivery of race packs?

• Options

El Hurrecan, there is not much in the pack to be fair. I'm sure all you'll really need to get on the day is the chip and number.  Give the number on the website a ring - it should put your mind at rest.

Suddy, I hope Accuwather is wrong as I hate running in wind

Owl.

• Options

Hi folks

Feeling slightly better this morning still abit chesty but dont feel like yesterday Weather wise i was hoping like one or 2 a very light dizzle and no wind but what ever the weather i will enjoy it. Not in to win it i'm in it to finish. If i come last it dont matter.

no 24 prob in blue vest black shorts so please say hello and help me on near the end image