Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Hi guys, I've just been lurking since posting early on in the thread but have found the info on pacing, gels etc really useful.

Does anybody know if any restaurants in Leicester are putting on a pre-marathon menu? I remember for the Humber Half Marathon the local pub does a pasta night. I'm coming down from Hull on Saturday afternoon so I'm a bit worried about how to eat properly, for instance I'd prefer brown pasta rather than the white that you generally get in restaurants.

Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!

• Options

This may give you an idea of what we're in for !! - some of the camera work is better than others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhye8Pav2Y

• Options

Hi runner888 nice view of the sky lol kind of got the point i think i could hear you were sore last bit that will be me hey well done

• Options
    While that is quite difficult to watch it has actually got me really excited for Sunday. Is that you in the video Runner888  or just some video you found on you tube?
  • Options

Hull Runner, I don't live in Leicester anymore so my information may be out of date. There used to be a veggie place in the centre called 'The Good Earth' on Free Lane. Not sure if they are open in the evenings or not but they always had a good selection of pasta and wholemeal dishes.

Owl

• Options

just something i found on YouTube,  I was going to respond to Blake as he kindly assumed I could actually run and take video at the same time ! -  I'm just a normal man, i can't multi-task.  image.

Looking forward to the half this year due to a foot injury I had in August - really looking forward  to what should be a great day.

• Options

Frank M

Sounds like a good plan to me. Let's hope  we can stick to it! Certainly last mile seems to be a long one from what everyone's saying.....

• Options

From the race info-

'The race sweep vehicle will be travelling at 14mph behind all the runners. If you fall behind this vehicle you will be deemed to be out of the run'

I hope you have all been doing your speedwork! image

• Options

hello,  fraser well . frank m. and everybody else.  any plan that gets us under 3 hours is good plan,

i m willing go along with a your  plans. as i said before running in a bunch will push us on when we need it....  looking on runner888 video, i did see afrew cars passing the runners along the course, just hope they are good drivers on the day, so should we expect the roads to be busy on the day with cars, was it busy last year dose anyone know.        cheers

• Options
    must be a misprint surely regarding the sweeper as it will start and finish in just under 2 hours not even the fastest ever marathon runner would be safe! Unless it has something to do with the 6 hour rule and will leave after 4 hours to collect up the ones at the back?
  • Options
    I'm sure with a bit of effort you could manage 4:17 pace blake goodman! image
  • Options
    my racepack hasn't arrived either so I will be trying the phone number tomorrow - hope I don't have to faff around on the Sunday morning.
  • Options
    Spoke to the organisers today about a missing number for my Club mate. Numbers for both the full & half are up to 2,800 in total!
    I'm enjoying the taper at the moment. Going to try some short reps tomorrow night, then start carbo loading on Friday.
  • Options
    What time are you planning on getting to the start?
  • Options
    Yes The Good Earth is still there as I had a meal there a couple of months ago. There is also the Mirch Masala on Market Street which is 100% vege. As well as Indian, they also do chinese, mexican and Italian menus. So something for everyone...
  • Options
    i've done very little running over the last week - i've got taper madness - aaarrrggghhh !!
  • Options
    Hi feel well again and did a 10 miles 1.26 tonight last run before sunday. Feet up now and carbo load saturday see you all sunday cant wait now excited and scared as never ran more than 22 miles but i'm sure it will be a great day
  • Options
    Good Luck BJ, hope you have a good run. I am only doing the half in Leic... but have 3 halfs in 4 weeks... which is enough for me!
  • Options
    Last 4 miler today. HR a little high on the 2 quick ones but feeling fairly smooth. Most importantly, I will be on the start line. See you all Sunday morning and good luck!!!!
  • Options
    Light rain 14c predicted for Sunday...perfect........................
  • Options
    noooooooooooo, not rain - i get really bad blisters when my feet get wet even if i've applied a gallon of vaseline!!!!!! not liking the sound of 16mph wind either image
  • Options
    Hi does everyone put vaseline on feet before a marathon? I ask as i ran half the other week and i used vasaline for the first time and got more blisters than i do when just training. Also whats the best socks to wear as i have seen people in cotton, and others in football socks etc. I just dont want the pain of blisters when running sunday to go with everything else that i will feel or is it just part of running a marathon (blisters) Any advice will be great cheers
  • Options

Blake, I NEVER get blisters even on marathons. I have never used Vaseline either. Good fitting socks and trainers is all you needimage

Actually, I think good socks are the secret. Most socks have big size ranges so are unlikely to give a good fit. I wear Falke socks with are fitted for L and R feet. It makes sense as we would not wear shoes that were the same shape for L and R would we?  Also the size range is much smaller (42-43). Never had a blister since I moved to wearing these.

Getting excited now. Did 3 miles as a mini fartlek last night. Felt good.  Couple of miles tomorrow just to remind my legs what to do  then the real thing.

• Options

Am supposed to be running the marathon on sunday but picked up a calf strain during a gentle 5km on monday, so not sure if I will start - gutted

Good luck to everyone

• Options
    Edward - I was going to run the marathon but am doing the half now due to an injury I picked up that set my long runs back. Bob Budge on this forum said you can choose on the day whether or not you run the marathon as if you turn off onto the half at 6 miles or so your chip will work out what distance you ran.
  • Options

Still no number, 2nd class post apparently now takes longer than 7 days.

Most unpleased about this as i have done a LOT of races over the last two years and this is the first time my number, chip and details have not turned up. My first ever marathon, and i wanted to be ready and sorted come the morning, but now i have to faff about sorting stuff out and loseing focus, and getting up earler.

I still maintain sending out everyhing 2nd class when postal strikes across the uk have set the serivce back was a risk. I have had plenty of things arrive in first class post over the last few days off ebay in just a couple of days.

Not happy about things right now, and something I have been working towards and looking forward to for weeks is having the shine taken off it!

• Options

El Hurrecan - it'll be fine, you'll sort it outon the day quickly - and be able to enjoy your run 

Suddy - that sounds like it could work....if i'm stuggling early on I'll switch to the half rather than drop out - awesome!

• Options
    Edward - I suddenly got worried that I was passing on unsubstantiated advice and might ruin your day so I called the race office. It is definitely absolutely fine to turn off onto the half course and a timing mat just around the corner immediately registers that you are now running the half.
  • Options

I can imagine it might be hard for those of us running the full to be given the option of turning round at 6.5 miles. I'm sure I will be tempted...

Hope everyone is OK. I'm hoping that my foot is just a little bruised and won't give me any trouble. It was fine last night during a 3 mile joggette. Feeling quite nervous now. Blake - I second BO's endorsement of good socks. I've never had a blister (hope I'm not jinxing things), and wear decent running socks. For me, Hilly twin-skins work well.

W2S - the wind is a bit alarming, but at least it's coming from the north-west, so although we'll be running into it on the way out, on the return journey we'll just be gently blown home.

My number has arrived - I'm 686, and will probably be wearing black shorts, a purple top and a sweaty, red face.

• Options

Thanks Birmingham Owl and Stewy B for the food advice. The Good Earth sounds like a good option especially as my wife is vegitarean.

Good luck everyone