Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Way2slow - Good luck for London on sunday, hopefully the weather will be cooler 4 you by then and likewise we look forward to hearing of your experiances over the weekend,  I will post after the run but not till later on the monday.

Everybody remember, ENTRIES OPEN FOR VIRGIN LONDON MARATHON 2010 on monday so you got to be in it to win it.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Good luck to all of you running this weekend.  Looks like the weather is getting a bit cooler and wetter over the weekend so we may be getting conditions we want.

Hope everyone achieves what they want and we can all marvel at each others times on Monday.

• Options

Shaggy t, Well done in the shakespeare marathon, was it a P.B. ?

A few weeks off now for you then it's full steam ahead  for Leicester!

• Options
    Any idea when this is actually going to open for applications? I'm checking every day because I don't want to miss out, but knowing the opening date would be nice.
  • Options

I doubt you'll miss out Lostkat, I didn't enter the Half until the weekend before for last years race.

Only 24 weeks to go thoimage

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Morning all,

How did everyone get on in their races yesterday?

I managed a new PB of 3:14.34 at London.  Very hot and sunny and did for quite a few people.  Time for a week off before starting again for Leicester. 

• Options
    Welll run Martin image- Good time there, sub 3 at Liecester?image
  • Options

Hi All,

Finally back and posting on the thread again, Firstly a big well done to Martin, that is a cracking time you achieved at London, Especially given as it was hot, and with so many people, London is not the easiest place, in which to race the marathon, so we look forward to a very fast Leicester for you. well done.

Still waiting to hear from way2slow and her London report, when she gets a chance to post.

As for me it was the Shakespeare Marathon on sunday, similar hot conditions as London and an undulating course which runs with the half marathon up to 12 miles then the full marathon runners go around for a quieter second lap, one biggish hill to contend with,Twice,  and the last six miles is on a disused railway line as straight as a die.

I aimed for 3:45 which was some 5 minutes faster than my pb, but felt ok to give it a go. I kept my pacing very accurately and was just 20 secs up on my schedule at the halfway point, and felt good.The plan was to keep relaxed up to mile 20 then see what was left in the tank, this was achieved, but I was a bit reluctant to push on, in case I blew up big time! and then threw away what had been a good race up to that point.

I did open it up a bit on the railway line but at 23-24 miles it was taking it`s toll so I eased off a bit and saved myself for the last mile, where I went as fast as I could, which after all those miles was not much faster at all, still I finished strongly and was pleased to cross the line with 3:45:10 on the stopwatch and had got a new pb to boot image 

A good day at the office as they say, and it was the best marathon that I have run, in terms of pacing, refuelling, feeding, and dealing with the conditions on the day, so that is a big positive for me to take forward for future training, and for the Leicester Marathon in october.

Bring it on !

shaggy t

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Well done Shaggy T.  sub 3:45 at Leicester then I'd predict.

I had a similar experience in London.  I was aiming for 3:15 and was 30 seconds up at halfway and was trying to keep my pace at 7:25 pace but miles 21-23 took it out of me.  Very hot and I think I drank too much too early in the race.  Couldn't stomach my carb gels and only took half each of two during the whole race when aiming to use four.

However, I got to mile 24 and was bang on to the second for 3:15 so consolidated up to mile 25 and then ran the final mile and a bit at 6:50 pace to just make it.  Was very happy when I finished and as I painted myself purple!!!!  for charity I got a bit of media attention at the end which made me feel even more elated (so vain!!!).  A 13 minute PB from last years 3:27.

I have some photos on my facebook profile if anyone wants to take a look.   Full name is Martin Hulbert if anyone fancies seeing what a tit I looked at the end!!!!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Marshallini - I think my next marathon will be geared for 3:10.  Not sure I can take off another 15 mins this year???

Watch this space

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Can't seem to find any entry forms/online entry on their website and I'm not a paid member of RW (having posted on these threads since the site began I think I should have free membershipimage) could anyone tell me how much it is to enter and where I can find entry details?  Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi there,I'm thinking of giving this one a go Are there any 20 milers or good pre Leicester Marathon races in the East mids region? I've had a quick look but didn't spot any...quite a few halfs tho'.
  • Options

Hi there new posters to this thread,

Hilly - hold tight, the entry details are not out yet, so keep looking on here, or the main website,  and then when they are out , you can get your entry in and join the rest of us for a nice day out in October.

Shimola - The ones that I am planning on doing are.

Wellingborough 20k or 30k  28th june

Fairlands valley challenge 18m 19th july

Heckington 10m 26th july 

Newark half 9th august

Belper rugby rover 30k  16th august

Ponton plod 17m 13th september

plus a few club or local 5 milers or 10k races

The 20 milers I will do as training runs on my own or with friends, but I have just been trying to pick the longest runs available in the summer, bearing in mind the heat,  I think 17 or 18 miles in the summer has got to be worth 20 in the spring?

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Evening all! I'll be back at Leicester this year having missed out cos of the Abingdon return last year.

2009 is a real treat. Leicester one week followed by Abingdon the next and Snowdon the week after!!

Any other fools mad enough to do all three.....??

• Options

Welcome Mr F,

No thanks? You must be very fit or a loony to do 3 in 3 weeks! -------or bothimage

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭
    well done to everyone who got the times they wanted.......unfortunately i injured my calf at 16 miles so limped home in a very pathetic 4hrs20 image. think london may be my jinxed race....
  • Options

Hi folks

did Leicester in 07.  Great race, it was my first.  If the marshalls are still as good it really makes your day.  Just PB'd in London at 3-36-24, so I "bust" rather than Boston'd! (Boston qualification for me at 3-35-59).  Much higher up the placings than expected so I guess it was the heat.  Some poor chap completely collapsed at the side of the road - not nice. 

Do I go for Leicester?  It's my only chance to do a marathon in the autumn because of travel commitments at work.  My OH will grumble, but she quite liked Leicester. 

Check out the goodrun site

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/

it has Leicester and attempts to recalculate hills as added distance.  Comparing to FLM gives an extra 0.2mi, so I may be able to get my BQ if I pull my finger out, avoid cramp and get decent weather.  Can't really believe there is so little difference given the profile and the fact London finishes lower than it starts!  Suggested they include Abo 'cos its not there; I'd like to see how that compares, but I cant do that race until 2010

• Options

Hi Way2slow,

Well done on getting around London with an injured calf, 4:20 is not so bad,  I have never run well at London with the following finishing times, 5:02, 4:44, 4:24, 4:22, 3:50, and always missing my target times, and then feeling disapointed with how I raced on the day, but I always absolutely enjoyed the event and everything about the the London marathon on each occasion.

A lot of people just don`t run there best there, so don`t be too upset, set your goal again and perhaps join us at Leicester, rest, recover, look at the positives from the day and your training, and go forward when you are ready too.

Happy times will come back to you, I am sure of that,

all the best

shaggy

• Options

Hi Boston or bust,

Oh so close,  that must be agonising seeing how close you came.

You must do Leicester and get your Boston place and we will be with you all the way.

• Options
    This could be my autumn marathon. I did it in 2007 but I gather the course is now flatter. Look forward to entries opening...
  • Options

Hi everyone

Having failedin my sub 3.15 attempt at London I'm looking at having another bash and considering this one. What's the situation regarding drinks stations on the course, any Lucozade or similar provided?

• Options

Shaggy T - thanks for the race details, I'll check 'em out.

Wish they'd get a wiggle on with getting the race entries open!!

• Options

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know when the entry officially opens?

We could really do with a person from the official organising side of the race, to bravely venture onto our thread and answer a few of the questions that are being posed, and also we can ask for certain race items to be cosidered ie, energy drinks on route, well worth factoring that into the entry fee( if no sponsorship) as this will attract more runners to enter.

Also having just run The Shakespeare marathon, water stops at every 2 mile intervals should be considered a must, now more information is available on race hydration.

Come on Leicester city marathon, put your head over the parapit,  We won`t shoot!  honestimage

• Options

Hi Shaggy T n all

ST - that is a great suggestion.  Sports drinks would be a major plus.  Failing that, what about having one or two stations where you can have your own home prepared beverage waiting for you (dropped off at the start before the race or the afternoon before) ? 

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭
    Rodski - last year they had high 5 energy drinks and gels available at stations (not sure at what distance they start handing them out though), they have drink stations every 5 km which seems plenty for a race in october when it's nice and cool.
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I don't want to be the merchant of doom or anything but I was speaking to someone on the start of London Marathon and they were saying that Leicester Marathon is under threat due to lack of sponsorship.  Apparently they need to raise another £10k in sponsorship to hold the event.

Is this why entries are delayed?  I don't know as never tried to enter this early. 

Am not sure how true this is but the source was a reliable one.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Oh,  I hope that I am wrong and someone from the organisors can put our mind at rest.

As shaggy t says, show yourself, we only want information.

• Options

Martin

that has a ring of truth in these times, I'm sorry to say. 

1000 runners

increase registration by £10 each!  Maybe Flora - they must be saving now they aren't doing London, or even ask the Beard!  Hopefully they are trying all they can, but agree some fb would be good.  There's no contact us button on their site or else I would email.

Or:

Dear CEO Lloyds Group/Barclays/HSBC (delete as appropriate)

We are disturbed to learn that the 2009 Leicester marathon is under threat.  The prime reason is lack of sponshorship because of the credit crunch.  The deficit is of the order of £10k and as the primary cause of said crunch and as benefactors or our (taxpayer's) largesse we hoped that you might step into the breech. 

Yours etc!

BTW the hill profile on goodrun.com is the old 2007 course, even if the calculations they show are correct for 08 (and presumably 09).  I have let them know.  The correct hill profile is on mapmyrun -just make sure you choose the 08 course

Fingers crossed they can open up this race! 

• Options

Sir Fred Goodwin should be able to put a few quid in to help the cause.

Maybe I had better look for an alternative as I am more or less firm on doing an autumn marathon.

• Options

Hi Guys,

Alarming news if it is true, I hope not, as this race really did fit in well with my schedule and the other option that i looked at was Abingdon which I see has already filled up its entries.

So we need more than ever someone from the organising committee to come forward.

Or a rich * anker.

shaggy