Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    ouch! that`s a bit blunt, Tortie T,
  • Options
    Personally, I, like 99.9 per cent of the field in any race,do not run races to pick up a prize but to test myself in a competitive environment. Approaching the finish of a race if I am close to another runner I hate that person and am always determined to try and beat him or even her. Cross the finish line and a handshake removes all rivalry - until the next time.
  • Options
    I'll just be happy with crossing the finish line to be honest image
  • Options

Thinking about giving this one a crack as a possible sub 3 course. However, after looking at some of the previous comments, a common theme seems to be that this course is long!  More like 26.6. Would probably cry myself to death if I managed to average sub 3 pace but still missed out by 2 minutes. Can any previous runners who have ran this with GPS watches please comment .

much appreciated

• Options

Hi Frank,
    As the course designer and qualified course measurer, I can assure you that the course is the correct length. Having had to change the course again last year, I initially put the parts of the course together so that the half marathon was roughly right and the loop that adds on to make the marathon distance was very close to the required 13.10938 miles. We can obviously move the start and finish to get the half exact but getting the marathon extra loop right is a bit more difficult. I then got another course measurer to certify the course and I went round with him. We found the marathon loop was short by about 10 yards (can't remember exactly the distance) which is why when going around the edge of a housing estate the runners had to cross about 5 yards down a side road rather than at the junction.
    There are quite a few wooded areas and a subway which may confuse some GPS systems so that may be why figures are different. I find it quite amusing that some people put more faith in the GPS watches, which often give different readings for the same course, than they do the calibrated bikes we use for the measurement which can measure to within a few inches. Even taking into account the different lines we have to take I am rarely more than a few feet different to the official measurer over a whole race distance.
    Hope that  reassures you.

• Options

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response. I think I will give this marathon a crack. I realise that GPS watches are only advertised as being between 95-99% accurate but from past experience over 15+ races I have always found them to be accurate to within a tenth of a mile. In fact the 4 marathons I have ran have been clocked by my Garmin as 26.22,26.21,26.25 and 26.31 miles. Perhaps as you point out, the subway and wooded area have caused some misleading measurements. Anyway cheers for the info and best of luck to everyone on the thread.

• Options

Hi All,

New running shoes and my stock of lucozade sport powder, hi 5 gels and rego recovery drink purchased this week, also not forgetting the crucial bodyglide lubricant, so that is me, all prepped and ready to go, just got to keep on this post marathon recovery programme, to let me heal after the shakespeare marathon, which gradually ups the milage, and intensity of the training, untill I can start my 18 week programme for Leicester on the 8th june.

I am doing a Pfitzinger/Douglas programme from the Advanced Marathoning book, so I will see how this one goes this time. Last time out it was a DIY programme based around the RW PROGRAMMES but a few running days changed for biking or rest days, which seemed to work ok for me.

Have good weekend everybody, and I know a few people are racing today, so lets hear your race reports when you get chance to post, It is always good to hear other peoples reports of how they have got on, good or bad!

cheers

shaggy

• Options

Welcome Frank,

Thanks for choosing to run Leicester, and we look forward to your input, on this thread over the coming months and hearing what you have to say.

What Marathons have you run?????

• Options

Cheers Shaggy,

Like you I did Stratford 2 weeks ago. Carried a hamstring injury into the race and excessive rest in the 3 weeks before the race to make sure I could run caused me to cream in at the 21 mile point. It was horrible. Good race though and I will be back to make amends in 2010. I have also ran the Cyprus marathon 3 times with a best of 3:03 last year. Feeling a bit gutted about Stratford and the hammy is beginning to feel a bit more normal so need a new marthon to aim for. Was either this or Wolverhampton.  This one gets more thumbs up!! Have you ran it or any other local marathons?

• Options

Hi Frank,

Hard luck at stratford, was you actually forced to pull out or did you limp to the finish line?

Cyprus sounds as though it would be a real hot marathon to run?  so to get 3:03 is a fantastic time and surely a good sub3 is on the cards for you in an autumn marathon in this country.

I am running Leicester for the first time, have run Nottingham but could not finish, so ended up just doing a half, so that is a marathon that I must return to, to get a good run in there and put some demons to bed over that one.

• Options

Was still pretty quick through the first 20 so still managed a respectable 3:10. Not used to being passed in the final few miles. Found that hard to take. As soon as I get this hamstring under control I am really going to concentrate on flexibility. I've said that before but I mean it this time. I'm only 32 but I feel way less flexible than I did when I was 25.  Dont beat yourself up about Nottingham shaggy. At least you gave it a crack. 3 out of every 10 entries for the marathon dont even make it to the start line. Lets hope no-one on this thread becomes one of the 3!!!!!  Ran 5 miles super slow yesterday. Hamstring definitely on the mend but wary about picking up the miles too much!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hope everyone had a good weekend. 

Shaggy T, you sound very organised for this far out from the race....then I read the next line that said only 18 weeks from 8th June!!!!   Best get back into training mode soon!!

I've still not ran since London due to moving house and still getting things sorted.  Hopefully will be back out on the roads later this week, although now need to explore new routes due to living in a new area (should be fun!!!).

I think that I've managed to convince my other half to let me go for the marathon instead of the half so just need the entries to open to get in before she changes her mind.   I'll probably be following a DIY programme picked together from Runners World and previous experience.  Need to concentrate more on speed work this time though as need to PB in my "home" race as should be able to get quite a bit of support out. 

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭
    Hi Martin - where abouts are you based now? Good excuse for running leicester - need to get qualifying time for comrades 2010 image 
  • Options

Hi Shaggy t

18 week program? thats a bit long surely for a seasoned marathon pro like you, I plan to do the TG hit and hope plan as usual, starting in early july all being well.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi way2slow - I've just moved to Wigston Meadows.  Not too sure yet what the roads are like going out towards Wistow or Kilby Bridge so I may be forced to run round Oadby, Town and South Wigston areas.

I used to be based near to Great Central Way & the canal in Aylestone so had some lovely running tracks as I get bored on the roads after a while (and I am not too good at looking out for traffic!!!).

Would love to try Comrades marathon one day but my first target is to get sub-3 for marathon.

• Options

Hi Shaggy /Frank

I did the Shakespeare last year and really enjoyed it, although that last five miles or so is a bit of a killer. How did you both do?

I don't plan to really start training seriously for this one until around the end of June when I get back from holiday. I'm doing it in another attempt to get under 3.15 and one of those coveted GFA places at London. The irony is I have no intention of doing London 2010 but want it for 2011. Nothing like planning ahead, eh!

My last two marathons have been 3.18.10 at Stratford last year and 3.17.56 at London just gone. Pacing was my problem both times - too slow and then too fast in the early stages. Hopefully third time lucky.

5K tomorrow night, hopefully under 20 mins but not entirely sure after London and illness in the last few days.

• Options

Hi All,

A few more regular posting`s now which as good sign.

Frank- you should be in good company here as there seems some quick people posting,  3:10 with a dodgy hamstring???????????? yes I think I would like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin - moving house whilst doing recovery after a marathon, your life seems to be planned out well. It should seem nice when you get your running shoes back on after London and get out there.

Way2slow - nice to see you back,  2010 comrades, what sort of qaulifing time do you have to achieve for entry to that?      not that I am thinking of entering that that one as well, well not yet anyway.

Lorry Dodger -  TG hit and hope! where can I find details of that plan, as it seems to work well for you, how did your HM race go over the weekend?

Rodski - 3:45 for me, and really had a good and enjoyable run at stratford. sub 3:15 must surely be within your grasp at Leicester barring any banana skins on-route!

• Options
    I wonder how many of those on the Abingdon Marathon waiting list site, who could not get an entry, we could get to jump ship, and join us by running the Leicester city marathon a week earlier ?????
  • Options
    JJ2JJ2 ✭✭✭

Martin,

Good routes out towards Stoughton & The Strettons if you go via Oadby, lovely countryside & even some hills if you like. Roads are quieter on a Sunday morning obviously but usually ok if you avoid rush hours

• Options

Shaggy I'll stand to be corrected but I don't think there is a qualifying time for the Comrades but there is a 12 hour cut off time and even if you are yards from the finish line you will be stopped from crossing it once the gun has fired. A coupleofgirlsfrom my club did it two years ago and both managed under eleven hours and they are not speed merchants. As with a normal marathon you need to put the work in.

I visted the half way point when I was in SA 18 months ago.There is a wall with green and yellow plaques on it. A fellow I chatted to had run it several times and had his name on the wall. Apparently you only have to run it once to get one clour and I think it was ten times to get the other (I can't remember which way round the colours were). It is a major national event in the country and one I would love to do,although when I finished London last month I couldn't ever have imagined doing it.

I've been to SA twice now and going again next month. It's a great country and value for money is fantastic.

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

Hi all - was chatting with the ladies at the comrades stand at the flm expo and was told the qualifying time is 5 hrs so is easily do-able. Rodski - what sort of marathon time were the girls from your club running (am trying to get an idea of what sort of time i may be looking at - i'm usually a sub 4hr)?
    see on-line entry for leicester still not up and running - hopefully won't be too much longer - am looking forward to running it again.....

• Options
    Hi all - qualifying times for Comrades determines where you are seeded to start. Sub 5 starts at the back, and you move forward in 20 min increments, so sub 4 gets you about 1/3 from the front. It can take up to 15 mins to cross the start line from the back, and your time is gun to gun, so it all counts. A sub 12hr finish gets you a copper medal, while sub 11hr a bronze, so for people like me (around 11hrs), a sub 4 qulifier can make all the difference.
    So all of you thinking of Comrades, go for it, it is the most wonderful run in the world, and I hope to see some you there in 2010.
  • Options

Hi Shaggy
    Richmond went ok, managed 1:31:42, went off a bit too fast at start and really paid for it in the last couple of miles.

LD

• Options

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the site and forums and found this thread as i'm hoping to run the Leicester half marathon to raise money for the neonatal unit at LRI. My daughter spent almost a week in the unit when due to complications after her birth, she is 11 months now and doing great. I keep checking the Leicester Marathon site for app forms but as yet, no luck. I had hoped to run the GNR this year and applied but didn't get in - i know i could have go a charity place but i want to run for the LRI so this would have defeated the object,  i then discovered that Leicester had a half of it's own so that's why i'm going to run it.

I've been running since October, running 3 to 4 times a week and on my long run i'm up to almost  miles. I'm a bit of a plodder, running about 9 minute miles at the minute but if it gets me round the half, then i'm happy. I'm shocked at how far i can actually run now and always say if I can run, anyone can - actually, make that, if i can PLOD, anyone can! I started running with a friend, but she gave up a few months ago with an injury and to be honest, isn't driven by the same things as me so i'm doing it on my own. I love running, i love the fact that i can put on my trainers and just go and i love the sense of achievement i feel when i've had a good one. I haven't entered any other races yet.

Sorry if this is long and way too much info but i just wanted to post and say hi. As i'm pretty much a novice, i would really appreciate some advice on training for this run. I'm loving running but sometimes it's really hard.

Anyway, that's all. Hope to see online applications for Leicester  soon -i'm getting a bit impatient image

Kate

• Options

Welcome to our site Katierabbit,

Good on you for choosing to run at Leicester and for such a good cause and one that must mean so much to you and your family.  The applications will soon be open, as Bob the organiser kindly explained on here the entry details, so keep looking , it`s anytime now.

9 minute miles certainly means you are no plodder and with another 5 months training you will be well up the field come race day. It is nice that you have found the core reason why most of us runimage and I suppose it is because we are lucky enough to be able to run, so carry on running and carry on enjoying it.

Keep in touch through this thread, ask away with your questions, as I am sure someone will have the answers for you, and also help you along, with any training guidance or tips that you might need.

shaggy

• Options

Lorry Dodger,

Congratulations on your half marathon time and a new pb, that sub 1:30 is only just around the corner now for you.  good running.

Douglas,

Thanks for the top info on the comrades marathon, I remember reading it in a RW feature a while ago, and it is one of those, on my 100 things to do before I die list, along with the New York Marathon, Marathon Des Sables, Antartic Marathon etc,  Wether I do them or not I don`t know, still we all need dreams don`t we.

Rodski,

Cannot see me getting the two coloured plaques, but one would be nice.    Is South Africa a holiday or a business destination for you?

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Welcome Katierabbit,

We are a friendly bunch on here so anything that you want to know then don't be afraid to ask and we will try to give you the benefit of our varied experiences.

It sounds as though you are already ahead of alot of runners for the half in terms of fitness levels, and as shaggy t says, you still have 5 months to go so your 9 minute mile pace could see you running less than 2 hours.

It's also a good thing that you had a drive to start running and a reason to raise money for charity which will spur you on and keep you motivated through the longer runs.   A good thing about running Leicester will be the summer training, nothing better than an evening run in the summer sun.

Good luck and keep on enjoying yourself.

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

personally, i'd say nothing better than a long off-roader early sunday morning to set you up for
    the day image (at least until the nettles get really big)

Hi there Katierabbit - good luck with the training for the run. 9min mile is definately NOT plodding, if
    you look at the results from last years half you'll see that.......my nephew was also in the neonatal unit at LRI - they do a fantastic job!

• Options

Thanks Shaggy T, Way too slow and martin for your kind replies. I'll be bck again soon, no doubt. Good luck with all your training!

Cheers, KAte image

• Options

Hi, I'm planning to do this Marathon this year - and it'll be my first one!

Does anybody have any idea when they open up the applications for the race?