Options

Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    As per one of the organisers, Bob, they should be out very soon.
  • Options
    If they don't open the entries soon I will start to look elsewhere!!image
  • Options
     Sorry everyone but we are waiting for the companies that have offered to help to come up with the goods and sometimes their charity work gets pushed to the back of the queue. We have a new entry form being designed and even a new web site but they are taking longer than we would like. Rest assured we have no entry limit for either the full or the half so you will get in. The new entry form will go on as soon as we get it, if that's not by next week we will put an interim one modified from last year. 
  • Options

Hi Bob. It's my first time applying. Will there be some sort of on-line entry system?

D

• Options

Yes, I've already set up on-line entry via Runners World but we were waiting for their accounts to activate it, looks like this is happening as the marathon is now active, the half should follow shortly.

Good news everyone, you can now enter on line! Hardcopy entry form on the web site late next week.

• Options
    Thanks Bob. I've just applied for my place. 11th October here I come!!! image
  • Options

Way2Slow The girls from my club run around 3.45for the marathon. They said it was tough and impossible to run non-stop but they said it was a fantastic experience. I hope to do it one day but 2011 will be my earliest opportunity.

Katierabbit Welcome to the forum and keep on running. Best advice I could give ou is to get another training partner or better still join a club where you will find plenty of like minded people.

Shaggy SA is a holiday destination for me. The first time I went was around 18 months ago and a three week trip took us to Kruger National Park for safari followed by Rork's Drift of Zulu fame and then down to Durban from where we visited the Comrades Wall. We then flew to Cape Town, staying in the Winelands before finishing off in Cape Town itself. It was all self planned / selfdrive and organised completely on t'internet

To cut a long story short the trip in January this year was at short notice due to a forced abandonment of a Far East holiday and again we had a fantastic time. We are going again next month and I am hoping to take in a British Lions match whilst there.

As you can tell I love the place but my OH loves it even more. I could go on about what a great place it is but everyone will get bored of my holiday tales image

I did a 5k on Tuesday night in 20.21. Slightly disappointed with the time but bearing in mind my marathon and illness since it was not toobad on what is quite a tough course.

• Options

YIPPEEE!

That`s me entered on-line and instantly confirmed to run in The Leicester City Marathon on the 11 th october 2009,  

only 151 training days left to goimage Let`s go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

About time too!
    I'm in
    , only 120 days till I start training, no only jokingimage
    It was close I nearly swayed towards Jersey in September
    Shaggy did you put down a team or shall we start our own, now you're running with the quick boys in trainingimage

• Options

Hi LD,

I did not enter a team name?  have we got any other confirmed maybes from the club yet?  And I am not sure how many people are required for a team entry, still I am sure if we get to the required amount, then we can perhaps contact Bob and see if he can amend our details.

"Now you`re running with the quick boys in training"  that is not a phrase, that I think is normally associated with me and running????????????

It felt very strange to be where I was on tuesday, and not what I expect or really feel overly comfortable with, but it was fun whilst it lasted, if only for a very short time.

shaggy t

• Options

Sorry just coming in to ask a question, on the usual subject - the hill at the end.  Is this course a major PB potential race - I don't want to do it if not, so would really welcome some honest feedback.  I got 3.15.45 in London in April and really want to get sub-3.15, but don't want to put in the effort of the summer training if there is little hope of me getting a PB.  Would really welcome your thoughts.

Thanks.

Laz

• Options

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the site, there is some quicker runners on here, who have raced on the course before, so hopefully they can answer you directly, if not then look back at the first few pages of the thread, as I believe there was a discussion about the course pb potential then, I believe it was a pb course but how other sub 3:15 people found running here I cannot say.

Hope you enter and keep looking in on us.

shaggy

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

Hi Laura - i personally feel it is definately a pb course - i broke mine by about 5 mins last year (admittedly i'm not as quick as you). The hill at the end isn't major (more of a gentle incline) but it does go on for about a mile so would include some hills towards the end of your long runs to deal with that. bear in mind too that the weather will more than likely be cooler in october than it was in april (always a help)......

• Options
    I also have a question please for anyone who has run this course and Robin Hood marathon. Is this course less undulating than the first half of the Robin Hood and therefore faster?
  • Options

Hi Laura

I did Leicester in 2007 and FLM this year and I only had 2 mins between the two

I reckon the crowds at London eat up more time than the hills at Leicester-I can only remember the one big one at Leicester about ten miles in but I believe the course is flatter now?

Go 4 it

• Options
    JJ2JJ2 ✭✭✭
    I haven't done Nottingham but Mr JJ2 &several friends have. It's a smaller field but much flatter & better pb potential I'm told.
  • Options

Don't forget that the course is completely different to how it was in 2007. It used to be out in the sticks around Desford area, which is fairly hilly in a couple of places but since 2008 it's been moved into the city centre, which is a much much flatter course.

Hurry up with the HM online entry. I'm chomping at the bit!! imageimage

• Options

Hi shaggy t

Did you get lost on the way home from Deeping 10k or did you really want to look round the garden centreimage

• Options

Welcome to caterpillar girl, hammer time and jj2,

Nice to have you on-board and posing questions or answers through our thread,

Caterpillar girl I have noticed before,through other threads, and I believe is a fairly speedy lady and races frequently, so should have a good knowledge and I hope she can stay and offer advice to others.

Hammer time seems to have run marathons as well and has experiance on the Leicester course, again we welcome your input.

And will jj2 be joining us running at Leicester this year?

Lostcat, is the half entry still,not up and running yet?  you should get race number 1 as the most patient entrant they have got ! 

• Options

Hi LD,

Which garden centre are you referring to ??????? not Baytree`s I hopeimage

Route was from sportsfield into Linchfield road, through closed off road at eve`s farm(first crossroads)  down to bypass, over bypass, onto old northfields lane, then turn right down to the cross road,then alongside gravel pits and baston outgang to home.

Only trouble was it absolutely p***ed down with rain and I got soaked, which was not too nice on the bike!

You will have to invest in a good bike rack for your car,  so you can pick up tired and dishevelled cyclists from the roadside, on your way home from racesimage

Good running sunday , I see it has got you as nice number 1 postion on the club series points table now.

well done.

• Options

Shaggy

Thanks
    No swines meadow straight on from Linchfield Rd,must have been mistakenimage

Don't think I will be number one for long ! I would like to see the full results I can never find them.

• Options

quick post tonight, just to keep our thread to the fore.

club run for me tonight,  10 by 400m around school sports field, the surface is a bit up and downy but at least the grass had been mown nice and short, so not to bad too run on, it must be nice for those who have access to a proper running track?   we can only dreamimage

• Options
    I've entered. My second marathon, 25 years after I ran the Abingdon Marathon, in 1984. I am already nervous and yet excited... my GF just thinks I'm mad image
  • Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

Hi Oranj - sure you'll enjoy it - it's a great course - just awaiting pay day then i'll be joining you in the entering myself....

did my first 'proper' run since my flm injury last night - ran the hinckley half marathon route with a friend who'd wanted to do the race but had come down with a nasty cold the day before so had to drop out. wasn't too bad though legs were pretty tired by the end and i've now got a lovely blood blister on my toe!!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First two runs since FLM and moving house for me over the past few days.  3.5 miles early Saturday morning at a faster than expected 7:27 pace that felt much faster.  I didn't realise how hilly it is around Wigston and Little Hill is far from that!!!!

Last night did a "fast" 4 miles at 7:12 pace finishing with a 6:59 last mile.

Girlfriend is now coming round to the idea of me running the full instead of the half.  I think a couple more weeks of work and I should get the go ahead and she can follow me around on her bike all summer!!!

• Options

One question, as this is my first full.

One thing I've never understood is this:- why, if a marathon is 26.2 miles long do most training plans stop at 20 miles? Surely you need to train up to, and including, the distance that you are raceing to? D

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

LYDLT,

You only need to go to 20 miles as adrenaline, more fuelling and tapering the 2 weeks before will give you more energy on the day.  If you can run 2-3 20 milers in training then you'll have no problems at all.  However, one 20 miler should still get you through.

Some people choose to go up to 22 miles, but you have to bear in mind that you then have to train again in the next couple of days after a long run.

I've ran 3:46 before from only running two 18 milers in training.  Although that was due to injury and not by choice.

• Options
    JJ2JJ2 ✭✭✭

Shaggy, I'm doing Edinburgh as my first marathon a week on Sunday but having had a small muscle tear in my L calf won't be able to do the time I hoped. I'm planning to do the half in Leicester as I have done for the last 2 years. Very local to me as I run from a club near the start.

Am I still allowed in the thread if |'m only doing the half?

PS my son who isn't 18 till August is planning to do the full marathon as his first one, he's very keen

• Options

I'm thinking of doing the Leicester marathon this year so thought I'd say h, so er, "Hi!".

I noticed the RW subscriber entry link is up on the site but entries aren't open on the marathon's site yet. Is that normal?

Cheers,

Richard

• Options

For all of you in the Leicester area looking for a "gentler" challenge, have a look at our race

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=142100&V=6&SP=

Its held in Bradgate Park, so beautifull views are garenteed, a sunny day however, isnt, though we are hoping for one!

Scott