Options

Newcastle Marathon

Comments

• Options

Thanks JR.

Eastham,  I actually do a lot of my training on a 7 mile loop but I will try and factor a 5 mile now for familiarity! 

• Options

That's a good idea Eastham, I will try that too! Come to think of it, I ran 20 miles in 3 loops of just under 7 miles once and that wasn't too bad. But that's the only time I've really done it.

Just noticed that RW has been updated today to say that entries are closed, it really did fill up fast! Not surprised though. I wonder if they will consider letting some more places go if they receive a load more entry forms in the post.

Thanks for info on the route Jovi. 

• Options

Evening all

Good to see Eastham and Tutu.Hope you are both fit and well?

Mrsj-ME, me, buy you a Guinness!!!!image

This has got the makings of a cracking forum drink afterwards.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

No only will it be weird running in circles but also weird with only 100 runners and assuming the usual 20% or so don't turn up that will be around 80 runners.  What if I'm last.....!  I'm not far from Newcastle so might manage a couple of training runs on the town moor.

• Options

The 'what if I'm last' question has crossed my mind as well lol!

I'm close enough to hopefully sometime soon be able to do a 'recce' of the Town Moor. I think maybe a couple of long runs up there might be a good idea.  

• Options
    Minni, you'd better not be anywhere near last, cos that means I will be too!
  • Options
    dont worry about being last, i was thinking thats probably going to be me, maybe not my finest hour choosing this as my first ever marathon
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    With such a small field it would be  nice toch to just all jog around together,
  • Options
    Well, at least if we were last we could just tell everyone we finished 100th in a marathon - that would sound impressive - just don't mention there were only 100 runners!
  • Options

I am in too !!! Hello all - old friends and new.... madness madness...

done the Finchley 20 miler twice now in mara training and somehow oddly like the 4 laps of five miles... that is one of the attractions for me - that and the date 22nd Nov - surely cannot be hot and sunny like paris a few weeks ago....

• Options

and I am in by the way - Number 49!! 

l

• Options
    How come some people know their numbers and some don't? I did get a confirmation email but no number. I guess I shouldn't worry too much.  Will be up there as one of the smallest races I've ever run.. will be weird!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm off to run London.  I'll look out for you CC2!  May withdraw from this one on Monday!!

• Options

I bet you will want to withdraw on Monday but dont - the feeling will go.  I said NO NEVER again after Paris a few weeks ago and signed up for this less than 2 weeks later image

TuTu - I only asked what my number is because I am a bit sad...?? 

• Options
    i asked as well, im number 82
  • Options

I got in early for this one. I don't know the Toon Moor. Is it where the Toon Army train? I have done a few multi lappers and the boredom factor can come into it. But the real concern is the competence or otherwise of the lap counters. I have been in a couple of runs where people have ended up running an extra lap and  have had  to have their argument after running the extra miles!

I like the sound of a celebratory drink (or two!) after the run.  It's years since I had a Newcastle Broon. Do you still have to drink it out of a half pint glass? Like Corinthian, I have a birthday the day before the run - not a significant one, just an umpteenth one!  There was also the rumour of a pre-run Chinese meal on the Saturday night as I believe Newcastle's Chinatown is really close?

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    George told me iam 88 when he confirmed that he had reserved me a place on Tuesday.
  • Options
    yes but what running number are you eastham...    image
  • Options
    saturday night meet up sounds a good idea
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Peter - its not where the toon train.  Its a large green area very close to the city centre.

• Options
    We cant all be last lol!
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    Morgs that might cause a bit of a problem for the organisers.
  • Options

RE: lapped course - the town moor itself is only about 5k around, so we (club mates and I) are speculating that it'll be weaving in and out of the moor to make up the 5 and a bit miles per lap.  I've been reliably informed that it doesn't take in either of the hills which is a bit of a bonus.  Still, it is November and it's bloody windy on there at the best of times, so expect to be blown about a bit.

This from yesterday's Journal:

AS OVER 45,000 line up for tomorrow’s Flora London Marathon, North-East athletes have flocked to sign up for the region’s first race over the classic distance in 20 years.

The North-East Veterans AC is staging the Newcastle Town Moor Marathon on Sunday, November 22, and with the entry limited to 100 runners on a five-lap traffic-free course, it is already a sell-out.

Race organiser, George Routledge, the NEVAC secretary, said: “This is the region’s first marathon since the Wear Valley event in 1989 and the interest has been phenomenal.

“We have received entries from as far away as London and about half of the runners come from the North-East.

“It just shows the demand for a marathon in the region and I would have loved to have increased the entry. But the five circuits means we need a lot of lap counters and the paths are pretty narrow.”

Routledge, who competes for Heaton Harriers, will be taking part in his 18th London Marathon and he does it for the unique atmosphere of the big race.

He said: “I’ll be too busy organising things to run on the Town Moor, but to be honest I don’t like the idea of running five laps.”

RE: before or after drinkies - I'll prolly be more up for some Saturday afternoon get together - I'm a marathon virgin and dunno what state I'll be in on Sunday night lol image

RE: silksworth 10k - afraid it's down to a 5k course, but it is prolly the fastest 5k in the area - 22nd July.  Normally roasting hot for some reason too - the sun must be shining down on the makkems image

• Options

Do you folks fancy some kinda of estimated times list? I have no idea at present tbh as the furthest I've ran is half marathon, but I'll hazard a guess.  Fetch guestimates 3:32 from my half time, but I reckon thats pie in the sky stuff.

Vicki: GW - 4:30, 4:00, 3:45 (get round in time, hopeful time, over the moon with time)

• Options

Erm using the same format

4:30, 3:59:59, faster

although its ages to novemeber so thats liable to change

• Options

A bit too soon for any guestimates for me. I have Windermere in 3 weeks. Will see how I get on there first.

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    tThe way things are going anything under 4.30 is a bonus who knows i may even get some long runs done in training unlike for the FLM yesterday my longest training run was 15 
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just returned from a hot London where I got 3:32.07, 17 seconds behind my PB.  So for me this will be a sub 3.30 attempt... but November is a long way off!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

This sounds an interesting course.  I know it's full, but one I might consider in the future if it goes well this time and continues.

Out of interest will there be a system in place for faster front runners to be able to pass those who are lapped? 

• Options
    Hilly, the paths aren't that narrow, so overtaking with such a small field will be fine. Indeed for those who run on these paths regularly, you often have to pass people walking (with or without dogs) and cycling, as well as the cows of course image