Options

Training for under 40 min Audi 10k

Comments

• Options
    Done nice long run today. Was under 8 minute miling and felt fresher. Squall will say I'm racing my training but I'm not, it's good to have a slightly quick steady run if your resting the day after.
  • Options

I ran the Netley 10k myself today. Ended up with 38.17, which i was quite happy with because it's not a particularly quick course. Lots of twists and tight turns that force you to slow down quite a lot. Was hoping for something closer to my pb but not to be on this occasionimage

Well Twixx, they say you should run off feel, so if you feel better, run better.

Good luck with your targets, given your apparent eagerness and time until the race im sure you will achieve it.

• Options

Ive read loads on this thread about increasing milage to break 40 minutes for a 10k but has anyone tried to improve as far as possible on  low mileage before increasing their mileage to break 40 minutes?

My own times of 37:31 for 10k and 17:50 for 5k came off 25-30miles per week with good quality sessions, lots of races and plenty core exercises.

However Ive only just started to increase my milage to 30+ miles per week. So hopefully my times may drop further.

It seems to me that a good initial way to improve your times would be through short fast work and that it would be best to only increase milage after youve hit your best at a lower milage, otherwise you will end up increasing milage for the sake of it in the hope that you will eventually improve.

Obviously some people may disagree but this work for me!

• Options

Well done SDaly! That's an amazing time there, so I'm guessing that course is not P.B potential then.

Yeah I like to run by feel, sometimes I like to run by a certain pace. Today I ran by feel and it felt good throughout. Sometimes I feel tired before I run and I run faster than what's comfortable, but today it was comfortable throughout. It's the first run I've enjoyed in weeks!

One thing I've noticed is since I've been doing steady miliage I've found it easier today. Usually I couldn't do 12/13 miles at that pace feeling comfortable so those steady 8 mile runs I do now and then during the week are helping with my endurance. Mile splits SDaly?

• Options

Craig, brilliant times there. I would say it's different people different needs. However, I reckon speedwork would work a lot better after a few months of 40-50mpw.

Steady runs help you lose weight which will improve your performance, also it's the best way to improve your aerobic capacity. Once you improve these then you move onto the quality. Some people like to race all year round so speedwork may be important to them.

I'll read my book and tell you more image

• Options

Thanks Twixx, and well done on the run today! Dont think I'd need to lose weight im only 10st as it is!

I've got the Northumberland Coastal Run comin up in about 7 weeks so that pushed me to increase my mileage and Im hoping it should also bring my times down.

I ran Shields-Sunderland Pier to Pier today which was about 7mile (and is a pretty similar but shorter race to Northumberland) in 45:12 which was my aim and felt pretty knackered by the end so the extra milage will definately be needed.

I also tend to race in the track league as well which is where i got my 5k pb, so speedwork is pretty much a must for that.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Having come back from an injury during the early part of this year I was looking for something that would freshen up my training and keep me interested every session. I found the FIRST schedule which uses quality runs 3 times a week plus 2 cross training days. The sessions are intervals, a tempo of various lengths and a long run at around 20 -30 seconds slower than half marathon pace (or marathon pace if you are training for a marathon). I have to say that I am loving running more than ever now. I ran the Silverstone 10k a couple of weeks back and clocked 39 minutes. The first 5k felt easier than previous races and I think that was down to running more miles at nearer to race pace. I never run 2 hard days in a row and touch wood am feeling great.

I think there are many ways to get to your goals and it all depends on your circumstances and how much time you want or can commit to training.

Keep going Twixx and you will get there. And its amazing how much a good run can boost your confidence.

By the way, I have the Daniels book and it is excellent. I believe his philosphy is the same, never have 2 hard days in a row.

• Options

Daniels goes by 6 training phases, which makes sense because you can only do a certain amount of the same training until you stop improving.

Oh going to avoid overtraining at all costs now. Rest Day tommorow and Friday. I think people ignore rest days too often, they are more than essential because that's when you get stronger!

• Options

I do think the key to a stronger performance is to run more miliage. If your regular easy runs are 8/9 miles long then a long run of 13/14 miles shouldn't be much problem. If you regular runs are 3/4 miles then you'd probably struggle with a 14 mile run. I think in the long term more miliage is key but a lot of speedwork is good in the short term.

I was definitely feeling stronger on my run today. My legs were not hurting, bit heavy towards the end but they felt strong enough. I done this distance couple months ago when my 5k time was only 15 seconds slower than it is now and I really struggled with a long run but I had the speed back then, just not the strenght in my legs.

I don't know if Squall feels quicker, but I bet you he'll feel stronger.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Thats very true Twixx. When I trained for my marathon last year I think my highest weekly mileage was around 55 miles and I certainly felt stronger over the shorter distances. Over the last few weeks before the race even going out for 6 or 7 was a struggle mentally. So for me my schedule is making my running more fun. Every session has a point and running fairly quickly keeps my concentration in check.

Just keep up the good work, sounds to me like you will be reaping the rewards sooner than you think.

• Options
    Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
    Ran the Manchester 10k today and managed 47.53. Wasnt as crowded as I thought early on but still had to dodge round a few people. Was on for a better time at about 6k but then my lack of training showed as I tired late on against the wind. Enjoyed the day though and hoping to finally be able to get out running again in training!
  • Options

Did you see that Haile SA? Well done on your time, get in consistent training of 40mpw, no more is needed to be honest in the first 3 months and your times should tumble down!

I hope so Marty. I will have to do a flat 10k before October, maybe next month before it get's too hot! That would give me a good 5 weeks at 40mpw.

I don't want to be too over confident though, dropping speedwork does slightly concern me about loosing speed but as long as I feel stronger, a good month of speedwork before October and I should get near my goal. Though it's a hilly course so I'll need to be in sub-39 shape before October.. bit of a mission!

• Options

Twixx, go back to being Twiiix as I could recognise you with the two funny guys running up a hill.image

Weren't the same guy that said rest days are a waste of time? Now your taking two per week

• Options

Ha why not? image

I'm not the most consistent in performance through training. I have plenty of bad days and from no where I have a good day. Strange, I think it's just the body adapting to harsher training schedules!

What I noticed was half a year ago I was putting in less miliage with 2 recovery days a week and my progression was good and consistent. Now I've been putting in more miliage with less recovery and my progression is slower, but if I can fit in 2 rest days a week and keep with 40mpw for a couple of months I think my body will adapt to it and then I can introduce a little quality.

Not keen on going over 50mpw yet, get a quicker and more comfortable 40mpw before increasing miliage again. I might be using the wrong strategy but we'll see how it goes. image

• Options
    Oh and the old username was boring, and the picture was plain cheesy. Going back to weekly miliage, I think 40-50mpw is the benchmark miliage for getting a good solid base. Body must adapt to 40mpw before moving onto a higher miliage in my opinion. Think that's Pauls usual miliage aswell.
  • Options

I dont own a garmin unfortunately - so cant provide mile split times image

I think your definitely taking the right route to achieving your goal in that your setting yourself a target race with plenty of time beforehand to get the training in. Its definitely the way im going to go in the future. Recently I've done a lot of races (i did 3 in march) because i wanted to get some experience under my belt. Needless to say after the third one i picked up a little niggly adductor injury, thats healed now but seriously limited my training capabilitys for a good few weeks. Looking back, I may have been better off substituting one or two of those races for the normal long run.

Im running the D-Day 10k June 3rd, then the New Forest 10 July 10th. After that theres no races pencilled in until the Great South Run, which i'm making my big target race.

• Options

Totally agree, I'm aiming for the great yorkshire run in spetember as my peak. But got a couple of 10k's pencilled in to track progress. If one race is your aim, i belive in setting your year up for it and use others as markers.

Twixx, 2 rest days is probably what you need right now by the sounds of it. You may not make the initial progress you want until running back to 6 days but i'm sure you'll feel alot springier on your feet.

Just ordered the Daniels book, based on how much you guys rave about it...will let you know what I think.

• Options

The 2 rest days are due to me raising my miliage up to 40mpw. Until I feel comfortable on 40mpw, which I kind of do, then I'll drop the Friday rest day and slot in an easy run. Putting away 40mpw over 5 days a week is averaging a good 8 miles per run... I think this is good enough to improve base levels.

I think it's important to run on flat routes too so you can work on your speed, and hilly routes to work on strenght while in the base phase.

I really hope I can achieve my goal, though I am sure to do a 10k before this but my goal is sub-40 on THIS event!

• Options
    ADL the Daniels formula is brilliant. Easy to understand and make you want to meet this guy for some more training advice, though doubt you need it this book is your personal coach!
  • Options
    I had a bad day today!
  • Options

It's alright Squall, we are all due to a bad day. Let me read you something out;

"We all get more practice losing than winning, so it is as important to learn to be a good loser as it is to be a graceful winner" - Worlds best running coach Jack Daniels

• Options
    41'29".

Here are my excuses:

- I worked 1430-0000 yesterday and didnt get to bed till 0045am. Plus it was a hard old shift and left me feeling knackered.
    - I woke up at 7.15
    - The weather
    - The course (lots of bends, almost 300m of ascent)
    - Poor preparation: my lack of decent training since Eastleigh because of hip problems

So there we go. Back on it proper style this week though. And I mean it.
  • Options
    Chin up Squall, not that bad a time with all the things going against you. Hit the road tomorrow and put it behind you.
  • Options

I wouldn't train tommorow if I was you. You've got ages to improve at the mere age of 21

Take tommorow off because you'll only make things worse training right after a race. I done that and still feel the effects now, though they are going.

Anyway that's not a bad time there my friend. I would be happy to achieve that time. Cut out the excuses though, you get out what you put in.. I know, I use to come up with many excuses and still do image

• Options
    I don't think I ran hard enough to need tomorrow off. My legs didn't even hurt during the race, let alone after. I just wasn't able to commit myself when I actually got in there.

I don't know what happened... maybe it was a mental thing.
  • Options
    Ok, well this race was good for you. Like Daniels said, they are the races you learn from. Take it easy tommorow though you'll be supprised.
  • Options
    Yeah very easy... with some stretching I think.

At least I feel fit and healthy again... time for some proper training. So where abouts are you based then Twixx?
  • Options
    Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭

Thanks. I didnt get to see Haile but saw the elite women powering to the finish as I was going past 2km marker. They are super quick!! Im hoping once my hip problem is finished then I can get back to putting in my solid 30-35 miles a week and then build it up to 40mpw because its my endurance that has always been my weak point.

Plenty of stretching for me today as well Paul. 300m of ascent when your not feeling 100% for the race is going to have a negative effect on your time but I always think you learn a bit and improve from every race.

• Options
    Yeah. I think the sleep might have had a big impact... I usually get a couple of better nights sleep before a race... but oh well.

Just waiting for a coffee machine to get delivered today... and I'll get out for a run at some point!

What's everyone else up to?
  • Options

Squall88, how about choosing your next 10k race by looking at your shift rota. Ideally you need two good nights sleep before the race. I tend to find the night before the race is restly because you are thinking too much about the race but the best nights sleep is the night before that.

Doing a half marathon schedule but finding it hard. The next few week the milage is over 50 per week. Not use to it so my easy pace has become my slow pace. Use to occassionally go over 40 miles.