Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all...

Poor, HG. Can you walk on it, yet? Do you have to go in until the end of term? It must be really frustrating for you. Is it sore?

Good luck with the move, OO.I know you've done this kind of things loads of time but it mut still be a real hassle. But in a couple of weeks you'll have the family with you, again...and at the seaside! image

Anyone going anywhere, soon, on holiday?

• Options

HG you must be feeling so frustrated.  I think most of us have been there in one way or another and it is so frustrating not being able to run and those casts get really itchy. How long have you got to have the cast on for? Are you managing to get to work? I wasn't allowed in when I was hobbling about with my bekham boot on.

It's a lovely day here in costa del chorley. I've just got back from my LSR 7miles Nothing exciting just up the A6 to Astley Park and back in 80 ish mins.

• Options

Cheers guys, cast on for 5 weeks, and now on day 4, not had a good night sleep since its been on how did you all sleep that have had a cast.  Ive never noticed my leg being itchy before but all of a sudden I cant stop scratching and have found that a ruler seems to fit very well!!!!!.  Yes Im still at work Katb, as Im not alone in the classroom they say I can work image, though I have to say I think I would rather be at work as the time will go quicker and we've only got 4 weeks left.

Enjoy all your running I shall keep track of you all  image

• Options

Hey HG - just to encourage you, this was me in April 2008. April 2009 mara PB (16 mins off), April 2010 new PB (11 mins off). Well worth it.

Happy recovery, make sure you get pampered! image

/members/images/345267/Gallery/TD_in_plaster_2008.jpg

• Options

Hi Katb - as promised, a graph showing Training Load where the accumulated heart rate activity is measured and parsed to project fitness evolution and training fatigue.  I find this view one of the most encouraging and helpful uses of all my Garmin data.

The graph below shows how my fitness grew when I started training for Paris, how I've maintained it since, and the effect of just 1 week's structured training for Amsterdam marathon.  See how the fatigue is picking up at the end of the graph - have just done a 73km week.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Training_Load_Paris_Mara_Trng_thru_to_Week_1_Amsterdam_Training_2010.jpg

• Options

That's really impressive TD.  Looks like  great training tool.  I'll try the HRM again and see what happens although my problem is keeping the thing in the right placeimage

You look like you're putting a brave face on the pic TD. It doesn't look right seeing one of our champs in a cast.

Good luck with yours HG.  A knitting needle reaches the spot.  I was lucky with mine;  I had to keep the boot on for a few nights but I was then allowed to take it off to sleep. Shame about having to go into work, still, like you said only 4 weeks to go. PSHE day for us tomorrow and I've got to do bullying all morning with my year 8 form.  Not looking forward to that at all.  I hate having to do PSHE lessons.  I'm a mathematician and tend to shy away from debates.  I can see too many people's points of view so am not very good at playing devil's advocate.

• Options

Morning all!!  HG my heart goes out to you hope that cast isnt too itchy.. at least there is an end in sight too.. fetching look there Tricky..

My hip pales into insignificance in comparison.  Off to the doctors today at long last with words from both Mr NGUG and Mick to be assertive re getting a scan. 

Had another tumble yesterday - what is the matter with me??!  The pavements near us are getting really overgrown at the moment and I was coming down the steepest hill near to us and caught my left foot in the undergrowth.  I went headfirst down the hill on my side.  Not very dignified.  Lady in a car stopped to check I was alright.  I got up a bit shaken and walked down the road to start running again and though umm maybe not turned around to go home and the woman who had stopped was still within sight she turned around and gave me a lift home!!  There are some very kind people out thereimage

Ms NGUG's exams all over now so back to school as they start their final year now rather than wasting the last few months of the term.  She was off on the razzle with her friends on Friday night picked then all up circa 1am.  Didnt get to bed until about 2 but was up at 7.30 with Master NGUG for his early morning swimming lesson and thereafter football... phew and that was only Saturday.

Katb - hope it all goes well with PSHE - love debating myself.

• Options

HS - congrats on the car - are you enjoying the freedom? my test is booked for beginning of Sept so fingers crossed. If I dont pass then I will feel very sorry for those around me as I will not be a happy bunny! The whole not driving thing has been okay so far, only been a month though, main thing is the tiredness of having to get a bus so early, plus having driving lessons before work i find tiring as I still find it really scary! I did an emergency stop on Friday but he said I need to give it more 'whelly' as mine was a little weak!

ATM - I am off to tenerife for 2 weeks from Friday morning. so my last post will be thurs, and then will be back online July 9th. my first two weeks abroad since I was 13 and my first hols abroad in over 6 years, so I am very excited. It has been a long time coming. I think it will be a good life experience for me as I do have a dependency (although I am an independent person) if someone else wants to tell me what to do then I just do that, so this is my first experience of packing! and sorting my own money and actually making a decision for myself about what activities I want to to do whilst I am away! It might teach me to actually ask for/say what I want in life going forward, rather than always saying well what do you want to do! I just realised as well I need to start my marathon training whilst on hols.

I spent a lovely weekend in London with Marc, just chilling and he took me for a lovely sunday lunch. although I didnt realise when I ordered it that it would have bones coming out of it!! so Finchy Stryder was giving the manly duty of removing such items. We don't see each other for a month now so the goodbye wasn't too much fun!

My new tape arrived on friday for my knee, so going to go out for a run tonight. I hadnt realised how soon I needed to start training so I am going to try and get up to an hour I think. hopefully this tape will stay on. SOunds like everyone's runs are going well. Make sure that ruler is always by your side HG.

exciting news - we got a new puppy!! a chocolate brown cocker spaniel called Cooper. He is so cute, I wish puppies could just stay like that, he is so ickle. Also got my grandparents down for the week from Scotland, so our house will probs smell of TCP. I think given it is a full house I will be glad to get out for a run. esp as my grandma does not approve of my red hair and she will knowing her say something mean and not think through what she has said and then upset me (first time she saw it she didnt give me a hug hello and said to come back to her when i was blonde again! talk about rejected!), so a run will be needed. But I do love my grandma, she is so funny and we usually have a heart to heart about 'the purpose of life' so that should be good.

• Options
    Aww that puppy sounds gorgeous Gem. So cute!

Well my run - all 3 miles of it - went okay. No pain huzzah. I'm going to take it very slowly though with 4 on Wednesday and 3 again on Friday and build it up a mile a week from there. I remain unconvinced that I'll be able to build up to a marathon at the end of October on that though...

I don't have the car yet but should hopefully get the call to pick it up tomorrow after work. No doubt I'll just drive around all night!

Poor you HG, I remember that feeling well - so itchy. It'll soon be over though.

OO is your hip not getting any better, that's been quite a while?
  • Options
    Oh and Gemster, never mind what your granny thinks of your hair - she'd adore you even if you shaved it all off I'm sure.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Evening all, back in Blighty with my eldest daughter doing her week of work experience at my gaff. Had a 4 miler tonight and the hip was OK. Not fixed helter but a lot better than a month ago. Nice to hear you so happy Gemster.

• Options

Jeez - first time I've peeped at this thread in months and what sight greets me?

TD in a kimono!

Its like I'd never been away.

• Options
    How's the hip Rob?  Did you manage to get that resolved?
  • Options

Gem - hope you have a good break are you taking your running gear with you?  I did when I went to Cyprus last year and had some fab early morning runs down by v.pretty harbours just before it got hot.  I also managed to locate some tucked away tavernas which we never would have come across otherwise.  I actually felt quite safe never worried about running on my own there.

We expect pictures of Cooper!!  Sounds mega cute.  Grandmas tend to be like that.. i.e. just say what they think - Mr NGUGs mum (only grandma left) is dreadful I actually have to tell her off sometimes for being insensitive towards my two.  From what I remember from the pics your red hair looks good ignore her!!

Helterskelter - I am in the same boat.  My hip not getting any better so unconvinced at the moment that I will be fit enough to run in October image  Have now got a referral from my doctor to a consultant he wants me to go to who will arrange my MRI scan. 

Gym session for me today. 

• Options

Sounds like I'm better than you NGUG!  Good luck.

Went to a consultant at the begining of March and he referred me to a physio to work on pelvic stability.  Did that for 15 weeks while slowly getting back into running (I'd pretty much rested for 4 months before).  Now up to about 30 miles a week with longest runs just over 13 miles and pain free.

Only thing to work on is improving strength in left glute (which is apparently far weaker than right one and increases likelihood of injury on that side).  Well, sorting that and shifting the last 13lb of winter weight gain...

• Options

It's a thing of joy Rob!  Great to know you're alive. How's your groin buddy, if that's not too personal a question?

14K for me this morning from work.  Unfortunately by the time I was changed to get in the shower, I realised I'd lleft my carefully packed suit and shirt on the hanger.... at home. OK, wet clothes back on, drive through the rush hour traffic. Stop for additional breakfast and coffee. Shower, put on lovely suit. Drive through more grotty traffic to be an hour late for work.

What more proof is needed that I am a moron?! image

• Options

In this context its good to say that there is no stiffness in the groin area at all.

Tested it recently with tempo runs, track intervals, LSRs etc and its held out ok.  Next test is a 10k in July - get through that and I'm passing myself off as fully recovered and intending to open up a can of whoop ass on Paris next year.

• Options

aww thanks OO, it has been a good couple of months - it is almost as if the Paris Marathon was my turning point image is she enjoying doing work experience? i remember being so nervous when i did that - she is a big girl now image (no sure how old she is, so dont know if that is a patronising comment)

NGUG - I am indeed taking my running gear - my 16 week programme starts on Monday for the Kielder marathon. your story is reassuring as I am actually bit worried about running on my own in a country i have never been to. None of the people I am with will be running, but one of my friends treats me like he is my big brother so uber protective so i will tell him how long I intend to go running for and the rough direction and if I am not back within that time then to can come looking for me! my main concern is getting lost as my sense of direction is pretty shocking, hoping there are straight roads! hoping to run along a road on the beach (i dont think my joints can take running on sand), that would be immense to run next to water.

grandma dearest didnt say anything other than that it was much longer (last saw her at xmas) so good end result. similarly to what you said, my mum did tell her off last time as I was upset by her comments so I think she has been told to be on her best behaviour! I love my hair, I think its just coz she is old and of the view your body should be as it is given to you. i.e natural hair colour and she has no idea my belly button is pierced - she would go mental!

As soon as I learn how to add photos I will add photos of cooper, will probs be after my hols though. I started packing last night - omg I have too much stuff! never packed before and i have made the decision to involve my mum! so I have packed what i want to take (more than 15K) and tonight my mum is going to go through and repack it! i dont want her too, but mums always know best so she will make the best decisions for me! (yes i still live in the bubble of being a 13 yr old! whilst actually being 22!)

HS - I have actually always wanted to shave my head (dont panic Finchy, not going to do it!) , like my old boss did it and she loved it coz she said that if a guy likes you then it is coz they like you and not because of the superficial reasons such as long hair. but I think although that is an ideal world, phyisical attraction is just as important as emotional/personality attraction. but one day maybe, for charity.  I hadnt realised you didnt have the car yet, exciting times! can we see a photo!? what you going to call it? If you fancy a trip to northants, you are always more than welcome to come visit.

I managed to run for 50 mins last night with the new tape. it came slightly loss at the bottom so going to try a different strategy next time with the tape, but hopefully this will work. Still havent decided on my mileage whilst on hols, as it should be my first two weeks in training, but due to the knee (which seems fine) so being precautious, but mainly due to the heat I am bit panicky about giving myself sun stroke (i am a big sun wimp), so think i will play it by ear.

• Options

Rob - that sounds all very positive and a 10k race on the horizon - good for you.  Hopefully now I have been referred to a consultant that should help.  The doctor gave me the referral letter which has the name of the consultant on it - very cleverly it doesnt have the address that he is at and the spelling of his name doesnt correlate with any on the web I can find.  GPs - groan.. have to phone them up again.

Gem - thats exactly what I did when I ran in Cyprus started running simply in straight lines (god I am sad) and then once I learnt a couple of streets started branching off from them as I got more confident.  Its actually really nice running somewhere so totally different and somewhere new every day.  You get to know the place so much better.  I didnt run along any beaches but along the harbour and as it was before the sun came up the water was  really weird and luminous and all the locals went swimming prior to going to work so there would be tons of people around in the sea.  I did go really early they have some sort of bugs that make a noise a bit like crickets when it gets light and that was always my cue to get up I got all my clothes ready the night before so I would just step straight into them and go. 

Phew well restrained g'ma your mum probably had another word!!  Mind you I quite like the idea of growing old disgracefully in some ways and just saying what I think - could be quite amusing!!  Good idea to get mum to repack only one cardi/sweatshirty thing needed the rest summery stuff it will be really hot out there wont it?

• Options
    NGUG - with you on the GPs.  If I had any hair I'd have pulled it out.
  • Options

RIP - French Football. Les Miserables. Quelle dommage!

• Options

evening all...not been on for a while and have back read a fair bit in an effort to get up to speed but there is just too much to catch up on.

16 week schedule for dublin starts for me on 5 july so in the meantime i am picking up again with the 10k by the numbers from rw (weeks one and two).  i am a fair bit off my april pace so far this week but that is to be expected having simply not had the motivation since paris to get out running regularly.

my head is back in the right place again now though for some serious training. haven't worked out the total km involved on this training schedule (rw 3h15) but i'll tot it up and let you know.

on the subject of world cup winners, spain for me...and i have put my money where my mouth is too. very pessimistic about tomorrow also.

td - nice photo!

• Options

Well, back from trip to blighty!! oldest sisters son was 18, not that he wanted to be with the "oldies" particularly!! 

TD:  love the piccie - nice plaster!!  Am sure that gives  hope to all on the injury benchimage, paricularly HG.

Intended to go for a trott this morning after the dog walking, but by 11am so very hot decided to wait until 7am tomorrow!!  Am I getting sensible in my old age?

LR:  so pleased to here that you are all in working order and trotting nicely.

OO: good news on your hip - 30 miles is good, obviously the physio you had worked and there really is no pain no gain!!

Gemster:  am taking my runners on holiday this year to enjoy the views of the Cote d'Azur - but will be out trotting by about 7am or it really will be too warm then back to the house and in swimming pool me thinks!!  On the hair front - my hair has been all sorts of colours, my brother would come home from boarding school never knowing (a) what my hair style would be (b) or the colour!!  At one point it was a lovely Khaki colour not to be recommended!!  I now don't really change the style - long, curly and in pony tail, but the colour changes regularly!!  there is a fab "Aveda" salon here which I used to use when I lived in London - they really are fantastic colourists and all plant based!!  I do like to keep Mr PF on his toes regarding who he is coming home to after a trip to the hairdressers.

NGUG:  all exams done and dusted - now uni courses, personal statements then results on the agenda!!  Oh happy days!!  Have had to organise Ed's girlfriends mum to collect his results and text them through as we are on holiday when they come out - could be a really good decision or a poor one!!! Am crossing everything for him!!

• Options

Morning all!

PF - nice to see you backimage  We are not quite on the uni courses/personal statements bit ourselves.  My nephew who is the same age as Ms NGUG was going round universities last week but Ms NGUG tells me that so was everyone at her school who werent doing Maths As.  Think we are going to have to reserve some days holiday for viewings.  Its coming round so quickly.  Ellie's mum is lovely she used to be Ms NGUG's dinner lady at school - I think a few extra portions were handed out there... I think its fingers crossed all roundimage

Hip giving me awful jip today ibuprofen taken so hopefully that will kick in shortly means I am getting v.bad tempered!!image  Am supposed to be doing intervals at lunchtime but not sure I am up to it might just have a gentle jog and see if that helps it ease.  Consultant booked for next Wednesday.

• Options

NGUG:  Mr PF was perscibed some 600mg ibuprofen for his shoulder (as well as being told by the GP here in Jersey that he really should go to a gym with a PT - pigs will fly first and then change colour to purple along with the elephants flying) which have worked wonders on my calf!!!!  Funnily enough when a friend of mine lost 6 stone in weight - her hips gave her all sorts of issues saw a consultant who maniuplated her hips whilst she was under a general, don't know how or why - but they were then fixed within 6 weeks - she had to build up walking then on to running over 3  months but it worked!!  Ran Brighton marathon  this year in 3hrs 50mins!!  But I don't know what was actually the issue with the hip itself!!  Ellie's mum is lovely and great with Ed as well. 

Am crossing exerything for you for next Wednesday.

• Options

PF: ibuprofen does seem to take some time to kick in hope Mr PFs shoulder is all mended now.  Interesting re your friend.  I actually made a point of mentioning to the physio that I had lost 4.5 stone as I wondered from a muscular skeletal thing whether it would affect the body's balance etc and may be put stresses on other parts of the body.  Good for your friend re Brighton great stuff!!  I bet Ellie's mum is totally spoiling Ed whilst you are away they used to have a really lovely dog as well blimey that seems a life time ago.

London grinding to a halt now as everyone settles down to watch the football... bars heaving thought that there was something wrong with my emails but I think most people have either gone to the pub or home!! 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usbiography/m/images/sheinamarshall-450.jpg

Very vaguely -related trivia... I spent yesterday afternoon on Cumbrae, a 10-mile-round island , a 10 minute ferry-ride offshore. It was absolutely fabulous..and a few hours right back in the 1950s... image * I'm getting to the point...*  It'll be a good practice run for a Half...It must be the most bike/walker-friendly place in the country. It's hard to stop admiring the view, though...

• Options

Hmmmm

That does look rather nice.  Were there any campsites? 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so, Rob. The Tourist board would be able to help you.  *I assume they tolerate ' wild' camping but it wouldn't be comfortable if there's no sanitation...* I did see signs for a caravan park and the Cathedral (  smallest in Europe) has accomodation if it's peace and quiet you're after..image There were lots of B&Bs..Millport 10 mile Race, 12 September. image
  • Options
    Hot 19K tonight. Sore achilles. image