Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Sorry to sound boring - another glorious day here in sunny jersey, a rest day for me going to do some yoga to stop me surcomming to my temptation to go for a trott!!! 

OO:  a career coach, Mr PF has a "career coach" from what I can tell they are pychcologist who just help you to build on your strong point and work on your weak areas - not that you or Mr PF have any!!  MR PF company call them "life coaches" .  I did point out to Mr PF that at 46 years old is he really going to change as evertying the coach has told him I've been saying for years!!!!!!  Just enjoy it I say!!!  Good luck with the move and farewell - remember real men do cry!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You can be my life coach any day Princessimage
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Missed my run this morning through laziness- unable to get out of bed this am. Still.  just managed to cheer myself up witjh a mars bar.
  • Options

My advice to all threaders when faced with the commercial spam rubbish that the poster "Chicken Yu" has just dumped on our thread, is to click the little button that says "Ignore Member". It's not worth responding directly to them, because on the whole, it is the work of 'software robots', i.e. no-one will read your comments in reply to them.

OlneyOne wrote (see)

Chortle!

• Options

OO: only the one mars bar!!!  With the amount of money life coaches make perhaps this is an area I should move inotimage.

Yoga will occur sometime today - just really not sure when, have important things to do today like having roots done at the hairdressers!!

• Options

TD - quite right.

Thanks for all your supportive comments.  Nightmares last night of operations and getting stuck in scanning machines.. also thoughts that I could be on crutches for five days followed by three months of rehab started feeling a bit sorry for myself.  Ju jitsu completely down the drain as due for my grading shortly having spent a year getting to this stage needs to be practiced. No Amsterdam.  Poohh.  Maybe jumping the gun as not sure what the scan will show - has to be sorted.

OlneyOne wrote (see)

Blimey image

PF - who did you use for Ed's driving lessons did you go to someone local?  No one we know has used anyone locally and there are just soo many of them to choose from.

• Options

NGUG:  Ed driving instructor was recommended to me. I will forward her email on to you.  If she can't help am sure will know someone who can.  she is a very calm person and honest too.  Mention Ed and I to her in your email to her.  Stay positive, I've had an mri scan and take an ipod in with you if you can with your favourite music!!  You will be fine I just know it, keyhole surgery is so not invasive that you will be right as rain before you know it - just don't push it!! image

• Options

NGUG - the MRI machines can appear claustrophobic, but they give you headphones and nice music to listen to anyway. Your job is just to lie completely still. Shit your eyes and take some rest - it can be enjoyable.

As for keyhole surgery (IF you do need it) - I had a meniscus op on my right knee a few years ago (after a volleyball accident!). Three hours after the op, I walked out of the hospital under my own steam, just using crutches. I think after less than a week I was walking almost normally and after 3 weeks doing light running.

All I'd say is, there's no point fretting about it and getting worked up.  Such feelings will only slow down your recovery anyway.  I always set about trying to make hospital staff laugh, because they must have to deal with a lot of misery on a regular basis. By focusing on their needs, I seem to bypass any concerns/ self-worries and it all goes along much better.  Keep us posted hey.

Oh yes, lovely 8km recovery run at lunchtime. 31C here. Sweated loads but was going very slow. Unusually, I felt more energetic when I got back to work.

• Options

Sound advice as always TDimage.

Have a trott tomorrow with my friend who will be on the mountain bike, we are doing the bike ride we did yesterday, she said as pay back for the fact I looked like I hadn't done anything whilst she was a large dripping mess (her words not mine).  Oh well I could, and probably will end up in lots of bits as the end as it is a rather hilly 7 milerimage.

• Options

Good luck with your scan NGUG.  I'll be sending calming thoughts to you via telepathy.

I've just completed the second of the Badger 10k series and I've knocked off 13 mins off my time. There were loads of people there tonight.  Many more than the last race which is good news for the charity. Also faithful old hubby was there at the top of the longest hill with a refreshing sports drink for meimage.

I'm off with the kids from school on D of E tomorrow so a nice weekend in the Trough of Bowland with extra bottle of skin so soft.  yes ATM I do use it, but unfortunately I don't always have it on. I think I'll have to start getting the shower gel as well as the moisturiser and oil. 

yet another horsefly bite on the back of my leg which is coming up worse than the last one, but I think this one had an extra juicy bit of my calf before it eventually flew off.

• Options
    Katb; ouch!! Fab running a pb by 13 mins is awesomeimage
  • Options

Wow Kat - knocking 13mins off a 10K time - great result. Was that for a new PB? What was in that sports drink your husband gave you?!

Supposed to be the hottest day of the year here in Brussels at 35C, so got out running at 7am, but it was already 25C.  Had to do a 14K run, with 6K at Tempo speed (about 4:10/km or 6:42/mile). HR was mad so I broke it up into 4K and 2K fast bits.  Was sopping wet when finished. Really feel the need for more sleep though. Like now!

• Options

Am impressed by your dedication TD, being lazy today - running/cycling buddie not feeling great so meeting for coffee instead of going for trott!!!!  Am back in UK this weekend and meeting up with old running buddie on sunday for a lovely flat run along the seafront - not a hill in sight!!  Should be great!!

• Options

Morning all!!

Scan done.  All a bit space age - v.modern equipment no need for dyes to be injected or any of that malarky.  A radiographer friend of a friend had said that I should ask to go in feet first and so thats what I did so my head was just about poking out of the machine.  Took forever but Lighthouse Family CD got me through it although being strapped down when my hip was jippy anyway wasnt v.comfortable and I did have to jiggle about a bit inbetween scans.  Have discovered a little bit of cause and effect with the hip namely that if any weight is put on it it flares up so on recommendation of old physio made sure it was humming this morning as apparently that ensures the inflamation shows up well on the scan.  Fair humming now ouch. 

Thanks TD - read your post late last night and I did stay as still as I possibly could.  I do tend to joke with the drs/radiographers anyway I bet their job can be pretty depressing sometimes.  This time me and the radiographer had a long discussion about the change of music now that you can download everything.. he was doing the DJ bit whilst playing my CD.  I had brought 3 CDs with me having not played a CD for years it was a bit like going down memory lane!

Katb - must have got those calming thoughts.. as I was fine image  Next step is consultants analysis of my scan next Wednesday onwards and upwards imageimage Well done on your PB - 13 mins off your previous PB is brilliant stuffimage

• Options

Morning everyone

Another hot day in sunny London !!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Afternoon, all...from sunny Arran. image

* scrolling back and reading..* OO..You old smoothie, you.image Those years in Paris were not wasted..

NGUG, that's a blow...about Amsterdam...but it's good that you're getting to the bottom of it. 

Well done, Kat! We want to know what was in that drink... Huge PB margin.You must be delighted. * I'm covered in enough Skin So Soft to grease the QE2 down the slipway..Let's seewhat happens about 6...when the midgies come out. So far, so good. I'm doing the Ultra-mini version of DV's Arranman but confess to a 20 minute break half way through the 18k run and am currently having a 3 hour break before the swim...which might be about 400metres...image*

I think I could get used to this weather...

• Options

NGUG - Glad its gone well.  You're definitely on the road to recovery really - finding the problem is a big step!

ATM - 18k run AND a swim?  I managed a short 4.5  mile jog with the eldest daughter, then cycled to the gym (all of 4 minutes each way) before doing some weights.  Thats a sort of triathlon isn't it?  Oh.

Mind you...I think we did run past Alistair Brownlee the triathlon world champion this morning...or if we didn't it was either one of his brothers or a very athletic doppleganger.

• Options
    Just checked and he is allegedly competing in Athlone this weekend so one of his brothers or doppleganger it was!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Of course it is, Leeds Rob. Get on that podium! image

• Options

Thanks for the congrats.  I was really pleased with it especially as it's a very steep hilly route.  Of course it wasn't as good a time as I got with Gold Pig dragging me round in Manchester but that course was fairly flat but definitely a PB for the Badger 10k and it was under my own steam and with a little help from Gatorade. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't do the last one in the series as I would like to have tried to do even better. They really get you going, these series runs don't they?

Got back from the D of E weekend in one piece and although we tried really hard to lose some of the kids, they all managed to find their way back safely. I'm pretty sure they all enjoyed the weekend although there were some tired looking bodies as they got off the coach. As mum would say "they'll sleep tonight". Job done!

NGUG glad the telepathy worked and that the scan went well for you. Is it a forntnight, did you say, that you get your results? At last you'll be able to (as ATM succinctly puts it) get to the bottom of it.

ATM are you a bit of a pirate then?

I guess OO has his family back now.  I hope the move went to plan.  Busy times.

• Options

Leeds Rob - in some ways can't wait to see whats on the MRI CD  I have been given.. i.e what the problem is.  Mr NGUG offering to come with me next week I suspect in case it was something r.bad - dont believe it is myself - its not going away so it might need treatment but can't believe its going to be really drastic (eternal optimist). As you say finding the problem is the real issue..

ATM - cant really say definitely no to Amsterdam Master NGUG still keen to run there if he can as am I - will rely on the consultant next Wednesday to see what state I am in..

Thanks Katb - a bit more hummmmm telepathy might work for next Wednesday too when I get the results image MRI scans a bit variable I think from what I can gather so hopefully whats going on will show up.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's the spirit, NGUG.image

Today's the pay-back for all the sun we've had recently.It could not rain harder...* No Pirate, Kat.Not even at the Jim-the-Cabin-lad level but my break did revive my interest in tackling the crawl...again.You got a bike, Leeds Rob? Can you swim?*

Anyone racing, today?

• Options

I got a bike late autumn ATM but have only just really started riding it, and thats after at least 15 years since I last rode so not overly confident yet.

Swimming, yes, I can swim and happy to swim in open water, trouble is I'm limited to breastroke, doggie paddle and skulling on my back - I can only keep the crawl up for about a length of the pool as I've never been taught it and struggle with the timing/rythmn for breathing.  One day I'll have some lessons to learn it properly.

• Options

Hello fit people. Polished off a hot 24K today to make a grand total of 93K - perhaps one of my biggest ever weeks. Lots more to come though. 100K on the slate for next. Enjoy the weather.

Hope the move is going OK OO.

• Options

Evening all..    busy weekend here...  I didn't get to do the long bike ride yesterday as I had to work..  but I did go swimming today at Dover and I managed 1hr 5 mins..  so.. getting better..   the cold water acclimitisation is definitely getting easier..    however, I did have a problem today.  I had a massive cramp attack in my right leg.  The entire leg went into spasm and it was really painful.  I couldn't bend either my knee or my ankle and for a minute I thought 'oh shit..  I'm in trouble now...'.  I was about 50m off the beach and managed to do a kind of breaststroke to safety.  I then had to crawl up the pebbley beach (very painful for soft feet!) and dripping wet in just my trunks I had to walk barefoot about 300 metres back to where everyone was.  I was shivering and cold.  Nevermind..    I warmed up and went back in for another 20 mins.   I am still finding breathing really hard.  Each time I lift my head out of the water I seem to get a face or mouth full of disgusting salty water.   I need to work on that part of the technique.  It is totally different to swimming in a pool.  I was told later that what i should have done is to simply roll over onto my back and just float until the pain wore off, or do some simple backstroke to help relax..   will try to remember that next time.

hey ho..  getting better, albeit slowly...  my leg still hurts now, but I'm sure my physio will sort it out tomorrow...

TD..   well done on getting back into the groove... 

OO..  hope nothing gets broken, but having your family with you will be more important anyway...

ATM..  more details please....  tell us how it was...

NGUG..   keep us posted..  in the meantime, a tub of ice-cream is worth consuming just for the excuse of it..

Katb..  well done..  keep at it..

PF..   More pics please of the beautiful place that you live in.. 

Leeds Rob..  nice to see you back... 

• Options

Cripes, y'all are posting too fast for me. That or I've been away from the site for a few days. image

Been crazy busy with house moving and important work deadlines, so my running has suffered a little. Not too much though, thanks to some late night runs! This week I'm pulling back some of the mileage, starting with the already-completed run to work this morning - it's only about 4M, but it commits me to another 4M later! image

TD - I wasn't aware that was the case until I got an email asking to moderate your comment. Obviously, I didn't even need to read it before clicking OK. I trust you implicitly. image

Right... spose I should be doing some work... keep at it all...

• Options

DV - that cold water swimming just sounds awful. I know if I ever fell in the North Sea I'd be dead in minutes, despite being a reasonable swimmer. Tooo skinny.

Completed 93K last week, finishing off with a hot and sweaty 24k on Sunday. Lovely rest day for me today. I'm now 3 weeks in to my 6 times a week running prgramme and nothing seems to have broken down or fallen off yet. Got a bit of an ache in my butt (does that sound rude?!) so hope that doesn't get worse. Lovely rest day today.

But today's highlight was - going to see the Tour de France passing through my hometown this lunchtime. Fabulous atmosphere. I'll post a video clip later on when I get back home.

• Options
    Wow TD, that would be amazing, can't wait to see the clip.

You all sound like you're doing lots of running and then some! I have to confess, my technique for front crawl resembles someone drowning so I'm completely awed and impressed by DV swimming properly in the sea.

My running is still rubbish unfortunately - 5 miles last wedensday and I felt the familiar pull and pain at the shins so I haven't been out since. I might try 3 miles tonight though because it's beginning to get be down a bit.

Oh and who stole summer???
  • Options

DV - I just dont know how you do it - couldn't bear swimming in the cold sea.. will bear in mind your icecream recommendation.. image

Helterskelter - are you with a physio or someone who can help you with your shin splints?  Dont know enough about them as to what to do with them.  Sounds a real pain.  Know what you mean re getting you down like with my hip it just gets tiresome.. Summer btw is here with us down South still steamy hot today..

TD - look forward to seeing that clip.

Fi - driving instructor is unfortunately outside our area seems really lovely though gave me some really sensible advice re finding a good one near to us.  Thanks for that image

Decided to be sensible and do 10km instead of my usual 20km LSR as I had missed out on a week's LSR felt absolutely fine.

ATM - sounds like you are contemplating a tri??