Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'Afternoon, all..
    I'm back to 'running groupie' status image * Will be at the Glasgow Half in that capacity, RR.Are you still doing it? * Helsinki, Poznan, Tromso? End of the road would be nice...

And I've just had an email from the Marathon people. No DVD , this year.And they sent me a link so that I can print off my own Certificate. Ach, I'm disappointed!The DVDs in previous years were a great souvenir.

Right. Moaning over.

Hello, buggerlugs .Yes, post your progress. A few of us are aiming for the same thing... Me, quite unrealistically but you never know.Have you got anything planned before next April?

• Options
    John Murphy 18 wrote (see)

.........................., a lot of out and back but flat with only 2 hills( bad ones, over a crazy lookig bridge!) at 2 km and 20km.

Is the bridge on the Polish course or the Tromso one?image 

Are you doing the 10M in the park John? Enjoy connemara - the connemarathon starts at peacocks in Maam cross so if you are near there , you can have a spiritual moment of running fellowship.

Hip much better today. Going to carb load today and then do  a 5 mile later.

ATM whazzup woman???

• Options

Hi ATM

Im doing a sprint tri in sept, then some x country races, maybe the GRIM, a half around oct/nov if I can find one, then more marathon training

Someone has told me u need a doctors certificate to do this marathon is that right?

• Options

Hi guys, I have been umming and ahhing about this one as I am put off by having to make travel arrangements etc.  Am coming round providing they have a cut off of 7 hours.

Any recommendations on the cheapest nearest hotels to the start/finish?

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)
    I'm back to 'running groupie' status image * Will be at the Glasgow Half in that capacity, RR.Are you still doing it? *

Sorry to hear that - same old problem?

Yes, I'm still aiming for Glasgow, assuming everything's still functioning by then. So far recently I've been attacked by a swan, and had a minor incident with a mountain bike whilst crossing the road (fortunately he was going uphill at the time, which reduced the impact - I don't know who was more alarmed, him or me!).

• Options

Evening everyone...  just popping to see whether the quality of banter is up to 2009 level..?  Any mention of a knitted uterus or stools yet..?

• Options
    buggerlugs wrote (see)
    Someone has told me u need a doctors certificate to do this marathon is that right?
    Oh yes, there will be endless debates about this nearer the time, just wait! Once the registration opens, you can get the wording from the website, then print it off and get a friendly medic to sign it. From memory, the wording says something like 'as far as I can tell, at this precise moment, this person isn't going to drop dead if they attempt a marathon. Probably'.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I'm doing this as my first marathon (providing I get in).  I certainly hope so because in a fit of optimism and organisation I have booked my accommodation.  Get me. 

Still not sure whether I am totally mental attempting this especially as I'm only just fitting in half marathon training at the moment but we will see!  I'm only doing it for the alleged cheese and wine anyway (please tell me it is true??)

Anyway, up until then I have a 10 mile race this month (first half uphill), Robin Hood Half in Sept, Abbey Dash in nov and that's it.  Excited though!

• Options
    Hotel/room suggestions please.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Staying in an appartment - my folks buy into a kind of timeshare which means you can stay various places in Europe.  It's close to the Louvre - about a mile and a half from the start.  Which is fine getting there.  Not sure about the walk back though! 
  • Options

Hello Finn ! and all!!

Connemara is beautiful, running not on my mind as im walking miles!Doing the ten miles next week, ill e-mail you a map of the route later, its different than the two mile.This time we have to do a better job at meeting up, hold on are you not gone to helsinki then????

The bridge is in tromso, but its the only thing thats not flat on the course!

• Options

runnersbeen - I stayed miles away, so I don't have any recommendations for places near the start/finish, but don't discount staying a bit further out, if it's on a direct Metro line - it's pretty easy to get there on the day. And a lot cheaper.

McFlooze - yup, wine, cheese and cider. And probably other things as well, although it got a bit hazy towards the end.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I've been on hols and resting for a bit.

John I have a friend who did the tromso mara, he loved it, I'm sure you will too.

runnersbeen wrote (see)
    Hotel/room suggestions please.

RB you aren't going to find anywhere particularly cheap near the start, unless it is a flea pit.  Parisian hotel rooms are very small, you will find plenty of good clean hotels, but expect to pay at least £100 per night without breakfast. And don't expect soundproofing.

We stayed (as did Stu I think) at the Hotel Magda Etoile, it was 150 euro per night, we took advantage of their runners breakfast on race day for a few euro extra. It really was worth it to be able to walk to and from the start,for london you have to be up so early, we just got up, had breakfast, and strolled over to the start.

• Options

NOt going to Dublin next weekend. This time next week I will be in  Helsinki . image

Carb loading is starting early! Eating a diet of high fat and low carbs so I need to eat pl;enty of it to et tenough carbs into me. !

Will eat more sensibly next week. Did SFA running this week.  I rested the hip which feels fine now.  ONly did 5 miles this week. Think this is undertapering in a serious way.  Not sure what to do this week. Probably more SFA. This inertia seems familiar from pre - Paris marathon. Think my brain is in denial.

• Options

Carb loading - I remember it well found it really dificult for some reason - oh yes am coeliac and got very sick and tired of potatoes and rice!!!! 

Fizz:  how is the hip - you should be on a serious taper now - do I taper for a 10k?  Roll on next saturday will definitely text you when NGUG and I finish the London Prideimageimage.

Did my first hill run yesterday for 3 months - thoroughly enjoyed it but number one son failed at the first hill, threw dummy out of pram as I trotted past him a quarter of the way up, he then walked back to the car and got his head around "hills are tough" I did warn him!!!!  I was secretly relieved that he didn't find them really easy and make me feel old and inadequate - more so than usual!!  On an immensely positive note, legs (both of them) were fab this morning did a easy 4 miles, then an hour and a half of lovely hatha (relaxing) yoga, felt even better after that!!!  3 miles easy tomorrow, then 11 - 12 on sunday on a LSR. 

ATM:  what has happened you were making progress, am sure Paris will be on the agenda, just get better, will cross everything for you.  We could always try the Uri Geller hand on monitor method again if that would be of any helpimage.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Evening all...
    Not free 'til Sunday so I'm just trying to keep up with the posts. Hello, McFlooze.Hello, runnersbeen.What Mr. Puffy and RR said. Quite a few people stayed http://www.hotels-emeraude.fr/hotels/plaza_etoile/us_presentation.htm
    there or thereabouts because you 're within yards of the Start, and Finish..bt you migh wan to consider going further out so long as you are on a direct Metro line..1,2 and 6 go through Charles De Gaulle Etoile. There's a hostel at the east end of Line 1, about 40 mins out.I'll look for the link...Meantime, this site is worth saving...
    http://www.ratp.com/ * I'm rubbish at running but like looking at transport maps.Sad, eh? * I bet there will be a lot more discussion about accomodation in a couple of weeks...
    The big thing for anyone new is the absolute necessity of lodging a Medical Certificate in the required form. * Cue discussion about cost...* Your GP may charge you for this...
    More...in no particular order...
    Marathon route http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=196998
    With this year’s modifications in blue http://www.flickr.com/photos/12425260@N07/3130766668

Thanks, Fiona. It's one step forward and two back. But I am definitely going!I'll be a volunteer at the sponge station in the Bois de Vincennes if I can't run * Cue violins...*
    Fzz, remember all we taught you about fuelling..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs&feature=PlayList&p=7B54551F46AC30B7&index=0&playnext=1

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Sorry...forgot to do the link thing..
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Transport

Route  * Click on ' Panoramio' on the right for pictures*

2009 Finish

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    runnersbean, well..everyone..I understand that people stay here http://www.cisp.fr/cisp/index.asp?ln=us * The Maurice Ravel * Good idea for groups?
    It's quite far out but on a direct line. I don't know what it's like but it seems to be used by runners and books out early.

And apartment chains : Citadines, Citéa, Pierre & Vacances
  • Options

ATM:  You are such a fab mine of information re anything regarding Paris in generalimageimage

We stayed in a hotel just by the shopping La Fayette centre which was a good location as close enough to the start for a lovely stroll there on the morning of the run (or in my case on that particular day - run, hobble, walk). 

Am being very strict with myself this morning and even though want to go for a gentle 3 mile trott am not!!!!  Will walk dog, then do a gentle 6-8 mile cycle with daughter to rossi's ice parlour on sea front, via cadet week at my nieces sailing club.  Then do a 11 - 12 miler tomorrow morning.  It is a beautiful day here on the thames estuary!!!!

Have a fab weekend you all.

• Options
    Had a lovely 10.43 miler this morning - 9.05 average pace - much more consistent than last week - even though started at 7.45am and by 8.15 was leaking a great deal - gets very warm quickly these mornings.  Mustn't complain though - before we knoww it we will be out trainin in sub zero conditionsimage
  • Options
    Mr P - did I see elsewhere that you were doing the Forth Bridge 10K today? How did that go? I've driven over it more times than I can count,  but I've never run over.
  • Options

Mr P: - forth bridge 10k - sounds like a lovely one to do - hopefully the weather was kind.

RR:  when is your next race?

• Options
    evening all! did 13 miles this evening at a nice slow 9:48 pace but felt good and  did the last two miles at 8:00 pace! thrilled about that and felt strong.
  • Options

Good for you John!! exception lat 2 milesimageimage.  I must really slow down my slr on a sunday once I start increasing the distance.  Am not aiming to trott much further than 12 miles on a sunday until january next year as the marathon build up starts.  Even then am going to increase it very gradually, alternating every sunday between a 15miler, then back to a 10, then 16 the following sunday a 11 and so on until I hit 20 and start decreasing distances in preparation for either Paris (hopefully) or London (unlikely)!! 

Am having a lazy day today as feeling slightly "flu" like, have developed a cough and tight chest, with a slight temperature - goodness know where I've got this from, lets hope it doesn't develop into anything am on a easy week this week, 6 miles tomorrow, 3 wednesday, hills (yuk) thursday and then rest until race (london pride) on saturdayimage.

Fizz:  how is the tapering going for helsinki?  When do you leave for the race?

• Options

Bonsoir tous le monde. Had a super time in the French Alps but stuck to my training plan for the Hamsterjam Marathon, so am feeling lean and fit.  Managed to get in some open water swimming and cycling too. Swam 300m front crawl non-stop, which is nothing for an accomlished swimmer but I've only ever done distances with breast stroke, so felt like quitre an achievment for me to get the technique bit right.

Fizzio - sorry to hear you have a pain in the ars.... glutes. Hoipe that is diminishing.  Saw your earlier question about marathon pacing.  Although running by heart rate is a good approach when training, there is one other factor in the marathon and that has to do with carb burning. You may well be able to sustain a higher hear rate (particularly if the weather is cool) but you still have to manage your fuel levels. The danger of running to HR is that you could still burn out too quickly.

My strategy suggestion is to run to 30k at your planned pace.  If you feel good and strong then, pick up the pace. You can take a more risky strategy to go out fast and early, but the downside is much worse if it proves not to be sustainable.  I would not be surprised i you went below 4h10 the way your training has been going.

• Options
    Finn- hope taper is going well, let me know when your leavin so i can give you a buzz before you go!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice to have new runners on the thread for 2010- but deja vu started already with the hotels and medical certs.

Keswick was great. Mixed weather but plenty of runs and walks. Now I'm in the North-East returning to Paris next Monday.

Bet the water was cold up them there mountains Tricky.... 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

RR, Fiona, no I didn't do Forth Bridge, I was making the point that I would go that far to do a race like it though.  We had already arranged to go to Wembley for the Community Shield FInal.

I've been on holiday for a week in the South of England, near Beachy head and then on to Wiltshire, so I am def going to do Beachy and also  a half in Wiltshire next year.

Got back to running last night with club, felt like a whale but all the better afterwards image

Tricky do you shop at Albert Heijn??

• Options

Welcome back all you holiday peopleimage

Must admit after the 10.5 miler on sunday not trotted since, have been feeling flu like with a cough that has come from nowhere - its like i've just given up smoking (did that last november)!!  Will see how I feel tomorrow re a trott - am doing the London Pride 10k on saturday so really want to be rearing to go for then.  Just at this moment in time moving is an effort - just feeling like all my get up and go has got up and gone!!  Never mind number one son just told me that I look much better than I did first thing, and doesn't think it is swine flu!!!!.  May well leave trotting to thursday and then the race saturday with NGUG - any tips anyone - will it matter if I dont trott till friday or even race day?  Hopefully will feel better in the morning.

TD:  very impressed with the 300m front crawl - hard stroke to get the technique right on, but when you do it should feel relaxed and flowing!!!  You should go for an iron man competitiion, no do an ultra iron man as your next tragetimage.  Sorry forgot you already are an iron man!!!  

MrP:  sorry got wrong end of the stick re the forth bridge thingy - must have been another blonde moment!!!