Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Nope, it was me having the blonde moment!

Next race is the Glasgow half on 6th Sept - haven't done that one for a while, so I'm looking forward to it (in that odd kind of way that you 'look forward' to races!). I've been doing some training, so I think I'm in reasonable shape. Unfortunately I think I'm in reasonable shape for about a 10 mile race, so we'll see what happens at mile 11.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Mrs Puffy did Glasgow half last year, it was a brilliant event to watch!
  • Options

Mr. P - no, I don't shop at Albert Heijn because it's in another country.  They call the flat place up there above Antwerp, The Netherlands. No need to go there - the chocolate is inferior. Sarcasm /OFF. They are known for having a great website though, very funny...

OO - the water wasn't so cold in Annecy.  I could stay in it for an hour easily.  It's so much nicer than the lukewarm and frankly, salty and over-infested waters on the Cote d'Azur. This is clean and fresh.  But we did some white water rafting up near Bourg St. Maurice/ La Plagne in the Isere and that WAS cold - straight out of the glaciers

PriFi - IronMan - that's a laugh. But I did think for the first time in my life that a triathlon was do-able.  If I can do 300m crawl, then I can go on to improve the technique enough to do a proper distance.  The basics are there. But nothing in mind yet.  Advice for your race: run as fast as you can at the start and don't stop 'til you get to the end. Hang around until someone adorns you with a medal.  That's the basics covered. The rest is up to you really

• Options

TD: know La Plagne very well, skied there through my "youff", eldest sister was there only 2 weeks ago cycling, swimming and running!!! 

Thanks for the advice re race, should be int3resting to see how I go saturday first race since PAris so anything could happen  at least (touch wood - everything wooden I can see in my kitchen) at least I'm injury free for this oneimage.    Anyway a PB is a definite as I've never raced a 10k before!!!!  Should be a good fun time though.

• Options
    Big ugly Hill intervals session tonight - lost count and was mentally done at the end of #11 then the garmin started bleeping "Turn round laddie and get yer ar5e up that hill again". Agh. Session here
  • Options
    Urg - that sounds nasty - I've turned my "you must speed up" bleeper back on, on the garmin makes me want to chuck it out the window!!!!  Nice feeling when it tells me to slow down thoughtimage.  Am going out for a trott in about 1/2 an hour will see how legs feel can'[t decide if feel up to it or not so will just see how I feel once trotting.  Feeling very odd this morning - slightly sick strange feeling all round really - but hey ho!! Puzzlingimage
  • Options
    Hi all...I'm new around here but am hoping to do next year's Paris Marathon.  I ran my first ever marathon earlier this year in Edinburgh and feel a bit unfulfilled since I struggled late on and was a bit slower than I'd hoped as a result.  So hopefully I'll do better in Paris next year.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome Hideo, you'll get pleanty of support on here!

did 8 miles fast last night, first time this week so I need a catch up plan.

I used to shop at AH when I lived in Netherlands Mr Puffy- not much choice really they must have about 80% of the market. I can't remember too mant positives about Dutch food...

• Options
    Hiya Hideo  and welcome, support guaranteed - lots of fun had on this thread - and Paris is a fab run to do - mainly due to this thread I do feelimage.
  • Options

Evening everybody.I'd struggling to get back into the running milarky.I did the 3 mile race i'd planned on training really hard for without training really hard and heavier than i should be.I also forgot to start my watch so don't know my time and the results aren't updated yet but i'm not confident of a good time.

14 miles so far this week with a promise to myself of another 16 by the end of the week.It's too easy to get out of shape and i'm disapointed in myself.I need to join a running club,although i've been saying that for a while now.

Hope your all well.I'll read back and catch up later.

• Options

Dutch cuisine - chocolate sprinkles on bread for breakfast? What's not to like?image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'Evening, all.
    Hello, Hideo. The Edinburgh reports all said that the heat was tremendous and the water supply insufficient so maybe you're being hard on yourself. You'll do much better in Paris image And, although as a Weegie I might be accused of...well, almost anything, really...Paris is even nicer than Edinburgh.
    All this talk of running/racing....H, you told us ages ago that you were going to join a club.Get out there!

Still no running for me and I'm getting heavier by the day. TD, look North. I bet you can see my back**** from Brussels image
  • Options

HI guys. Havent got out for a run since saturday morning. So heading out this minute for a 4 or 5 miler. LIkely all I will manage this week. I have been busy at work trying to get the exxtra days off for the weekend. Like last time , the supreme taper hs knocked me off my stride a bit. Hoperfully I will feel better when I get in later. Getting dark - I better head off ....

John..Half day tomorrow and then off to Dublin. Flights are on Friday morning. I have been invited for a pakistani meal the night before I fly. image Debating whether I have the will power not to try anything exicting and just stick to rice and bread!

Dont know what internet cafe access is like in Helsinki so I will text one of you and you can post my time. Not going to push too hard as I want to survive dublin but going to do it as a lsr and see how it goes.

Welcome all new people on here image( waves)

• Options

Finn _ you ll be fine and we will all be there in spirit! ill try talkin to you tomorrow.

Did 7 miles slow this evening, my right quad/itb is giving me hell but omly on the downhills!!?? going for massage tomorrow.hope itll be ok for the race on saturdayimage

Finn- what time you flying cause im picking my brother up from the airport early friday morning?

• Options

Fizz:  hope your run went well last night - I admire you going out in the dark - me I'm a morning person, remember fondly setting off at 6.30am on the 18+milers for paris - cold, bright and not a soul around - lovely.  Wishing you soooo much luck for saturday - I am sure you'll have a great run.image  Will txt you once NGUG & I have finished our 10k.

John:  what race are you doing this weekend?  Wishing you all the bestimage.

Howey:  Just by chatting to runners and waving at them on my runs - have met various people that I now run with on various days and differing abilities!!  But if that doesn't work for you JOIN THAT CLUB!!!!

Doing my lovely hill run today with the Iron Man friend - don't know which I hate more the runing or the iron man for making me work hardimageimage.  Number one son has chickened out on joining us this weekend and is now not doing the windsor 1/2 with meimage.

Any ideas on whether  I should do an easy 3 miler tomorrow just to keep the legs turning over before the race on saturday?  Must admit have woken up this morning feeling much better than the past 3 days this bug thingy I've had has been a real pain.

• Options
    RR:  Oh the chocolate sprinkes on bread for breakie - that brings back many happy memories of a swim gala in Eindhoven that I was in - it was my first international and we stayed with families - I honestly have no memory of my racing but the breakfasts were fabimage!!!!!
  • Options

Morning all!! Back in blighty after two weeks in Cyprus.  Incredibly hot over there - tried running initially circa 6.30-7pm at night but air so heavy and humid it was like running with a back back on.  PT had recommended slow building of distances again to aclimatise and v.wise advice.  Decided only option was the early morning runs circa 1/4 to 6 before the sun came up.  Lovely light at that time in the morning and I found a really nice route round Pafos harbour then all along the coast on a really flat path.  Amazed that the locals were already in the sea at that time in the morning - thought it was seals first when I saw all these bobbing heads in the water.  There were some other runners too at that time although not many Cypriots seemed to be mainly holiday makers like me.  Fishermen setting up their rods along the harbour at that time got to nodding to me and saying good morning - think they probably thought I was totally crazy.   The running made me v.familiar with Pafos and I found loads of tucked away tavernas and beaches that we wouldnt have come across otherwise.  Was a gym albeit rather basic at the apartments but as I was running so much I just stuck to that.  PT session tonight will be a bit of a shock to the system I should imagine.

Skins have arrived but as we got back at 10.30pm last night (up at 6.15 this morning as usual) havent tried them on.  Do I need to watch the DVD before wearing them Fi?? image Hope they fit as I think I may have put on some weight again (not dared to weigh myself) as appetite seemed enormous didnt eat many carbs though.

Glad to see some newbies here welcome all - many of us in the same position in Paris 2009.  Paris is definitely a good first marathon.  Watched the video ATM - how did I miss the blooming camels again will have to watch it again... sorry to hear no running for you again - what does the physio say??

Good luck with Helsinki Fizz I think the main thing is make sure you enjoy it the experience will be greatimage

• Options

NGUG:  Welcome homeimageimage.  Funnily enough I didn't watch the dvd for the skins I think I may have been washing my hair for that one!!!!!!  I just put them on and ran - very complicated!!  So pleased you had a great holiday - the running sounds fab, so I'll be waving at you back on saturday thenimageimage.    Will text you tomorrow re meeting up at Upminster on saturday - will probably catch the 9am train and then, so should be at upminster forecourt at around 9,30!!  That give us an hour to get to the start line in victoria park hackney - its about a 20 min walk from mile end tube!!  Do you have an a-z map?  How many miles were you covering on holiday - I've been lazy this week - no I mean tapering!!!!!

My nice iron man friend and his wife did not make me do the hills - we did a lovely easy 4 mile trott on undulating ground, through the woods, wife and I chatting the whole away - I actually don't feel like I''ve been out - but that's the way to feel, will do 4 miles in the morning - another gentle one and then be up and ready for saturdayimageimage.  Am so pleased the bug has gone!!!

• Options
    Fi - glad you have recovered from the bug!!image  Umm I wondered about the DVD the Skins look really tiny but they are tights I guess have to try them on tonight.  Yup I have an A-Z so will check the route - need to read through the blurb now I am back.  Wasnt covering too many miles as I started quite slowly 25ish I think from my calculations - the window when you could run was quite short because as soon as the sun was up you would have just fried.  Mick also a bit worried that my hip might flare up again so was quite strict about distances.  Also feel as if I have been a bit lazy and no doubt Mick will remind me of this tonight...
  • Options

NGUG:  don't let Mick work you too hard this evening!!!  How is the hip feeking at the moment?  The blurb is fairly self explanatory - but I need to re-read it tonight or tomorrow!!  Should be fun on saturday whatever the weather!!  For your information the southend 10k is 4th October if you fancy it!!!  Can book a place on-line just google souhend 10k!!  As long as its not very windy should be a good one - I've entered it, only thing for me is that it is oine week after windsor half!!  Number one son has decided that he doesn't want to do the windsor 1/2 now!!  Oh well more lsr's on my own like forrest gump!!

• Options

Fi - hadnt seen the Sthend one will have a look at that one too - sounds like a good idea.. Mick already been texting me making sure I am turning up tonight suspect he will kill me as he is off on hols next week.  Hip has really not been too bad slight v.slight feeling in it immediately after the run - I was quite good with my physio exercises in the first few days of the holiday but bit naughty this week and havent done any at all.  Sorry to hear about Ed - any obvious reason why?  Mr NGUG didnt do any running at all in Cyprus - getting up at that time in the morning really not his scene he seems to be back tracking on running in Amsterdam too - have to see if he is bothered to go out this weekend I suspect not.  

• Options

NGUG:  Ed came on a hill run with me last week - I did warn him that it was hard work and 7 miles is a long way, but he thought he knew best - only made it to bottom of 1st hill then threw dummy out of pram  as I ran past him!!!  He;s happy doing 3 - 4 miles but no further really just doesn't enjoy it!!  Hey ho there we go!!  How did you do with the pool running - did you try the armbands - if yes need piccies to prove itimageimage.  Am actually really plesaed with my running the past couple of weeks.  Will probably run 11 miles every sunday for the next month, with wolverhampton on 6 september then windsor 3 weeks later.  Averaging 30-34 miles a week, this week less due to the race on saturday and did some speed work yesterday - first time since holiday.  Should be interesting to see how I run on saturday have no idea what sort of time I'll do - surviving injury free is my main aim!!!!image

Enjoy mick tonight and please don;t let him kill you!!!!!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,

Easyjet April flights are out, 176 quid for two flights from Liverpool.  Bit early to book yet, but we'll know about London in a few weeks.

• Options
    MrP:  when do we here re London - is it still October?
  • Options

Fi - from the newsletters VLM are sending still seems like October.

• Options
    Left this a bit late Fizz but hope it went well today. imageFrom what I remember Helsinki's a great place - recommend the boat trip round the islands for sightseeing whilst sitting down - then a sauna!
  • Options

Well, back from London Pride - NGUG and I could have got to Paris and back the length of time it took to get back from the race - due to the lack of district line tubes and having to use replacement bus from Mile End to Barking!!  But on the plus side had time to chat with NGUG  which was great!!! 

Before I say my time, I must say that this racing lark is very different to running on your own!   I went off far too fast  and then just had to keep going.  Really found the second lap hard work, but the third lap much better and could have continued at the pace I was then running, even managed an immense sprint finish.  Did a time of 52mins, so pleased it was not far from 50mins.  My fault for going off too fast - oh well live and learn.  Will start at the back at the wolverhampton 1/2 and set garnmin up to bleep at me if I run fastyer than 8.15 or slower than 9.15. this should keep my mind focused!!  Anyway a good time and enjoyable race , with good company thansk NGUG:  It was really rather warm at one point, the sun came out for the race and back in again once race completed!!  But for race experience absolutely invaluable (only my 3rd ever race!!)

• Options

10 mile race this morning did 1 hr 23 min 19 sec i:40 outside my pb. it was windy wet and warm with a tough course. was on tactic to break 80 mins until 7 miles and then my right quad went into a knot( it was touch and go all week if i would race) and the last 3 miles were slow and painful, very painful but won the mental battle with myself to finish.

Finn texted mr this morning and was nervous! should hear something soon from her so ill post when i do

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    hello all, travelling back to paris on monday after a week in newcastle. hard to read on this b/berry!
  • Options
    John:  sent fizz a text wishing her luck this morning as well , I really hope it was not as warm for her as it was in London!!  Well done on your 10 miler, in the wind and rain 40secs off pb is good going i think.  For me the another positive from the 10k was the fact that my legs are fine - no injuries have appeared at all!!!  Must remember to go off slowly - will start from the back I think in future - have set garmin up to bleep at me if I go too fast or slow!!! A bully on ones wristimage!!