Options

Anybody think I'm being over ambitious?

Comments

• Options
    George, out of interest, have you taken any heart rate readings throughout your weight loss? It would be interesting to see how your heart has improved from the point you said "that's it!, I'm losing the weight" to where you are now.
  • Options
    Lol Yeah I have a couple of months ago my morning heart rate was in the seventies whereas now it's in the low sixties!

Also my runs had an average of about 155 now it's about 135!

• Options
    Good stuff, that's quite an improvement. I still insist you are a mad man image but I think with interest you have generated, we should have a RW George Watch!
  • Options
    Haha I appreciate your concerns fishmate and I think your experience is valuable!

My email is georgetsiappourdhi@hotmail.com if you have any information about the kind if training I should do all is welcome. Bear in mind I'm setting a very relaxed time!
  • Options

George-fantastic weight loss!!!imageimageimage

I'm sure the running will get easier now you are allowed to eat, too!

Have you been able to keep up any cardiovascular excercise, evn when off the running with knee problem?

• Options
    Good luck George - I'm sure you'll do it and live to tell the tale too. 
  • Options

Guys I just want everyones opinion regarding my running at the moment.

The format is date, day, distance in miles, duration, average mile.

23/12/2009  Wednesday 1.91  23   12.04  

25/12/2009  Friday           2.30,  28    12.17

29/12/2009 Tuesday      3.82   48  12.57 

31/12/2009 Thursday   4.01  47  11.72 

03/01/2010  Sunday    5.56   65 11.69

05/01/2010  Tuesday  2.96  38  12.84 

07/01/2010    Thursday  3.85  50  12.99 

10/01/2010  Sunday  5.65   59   10.44

12/01/2010  Tuesday  3.91  46  11.76 

14/01/2010  Thursday  4.22  48  11.37 

19/01/2010  Tuesday4.43  51  11.51 

21/01/2010  Thursday  3.43  40  11.66 

24/01/2010  Sunday  6.03  65  10.78

Above is all the running I have done and I just wanted people to see if there is anything else I should be doing...

Ive got a 7 mile race scheduled for the 14th Feb to give myself an idea of what race running is all about.

Im a beginnner and literally am unaware if my time is good, if I should be running more etc. Im increasing it gradually i.e. tuesdays run (later today) will be for about 55 mins and i hope to get close to the five mile mark.

I got a couple questions too

1) Should I be running saturday as well?

2) Why do all the training guides say that you will never run a marathon in training??? Other sports try to replicate the real thing as close as possible if not more so like in football preseason where matches can be for over 120 minutes??

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME...

I know a lot of you think Im crazy but Im passed that now... I just cannot wait for the 25th April 2010!!!

• Options

Hi George, glad to see things are moving forward for you. Regarding your questions, I think the following apply, at least in part.

1) Running is a funny activity. It is the hardest endurance activity after X country skiing, with cycling 3rd. There are no real rules in terms of how often you should run. This varies from person to person. The important thing to observe is how well you are recovering from your runs and this determines how often you can run.

The best way (non scientific) to determine your recovery status is by determining your HRV (heart rate variability). This is time in ms (milliseconds) between heart beats. The higher or longer the time, the stronger your heart. If the figure is lower than normal it will suggest you haven't recovered sufficiently.  The next best method is to monitor your HR during and after a running session. Once you have established an average HR you can compare your present state to this and ascertain whether you are recovering sufficiently well. As you get fitter your average HR will decrease (I'm sure you are aware) but by observing such patterns you will be able to manage your activity more accurately.

Of course, effect of running on tissues, bone cartilidge etc is hard to determine without scientific help, but I'm sure you are aware of bodies responses to your runs, so listen carefully to what it says. Never be afraid to rest for a day or two if don't feel right. You wont lose out on fitness by doing this and may avoid future injury.

HRM's such as Suunto's T6C give HRV data but this is an expensive option. Other makes or models may offer this so you may wish to look into that.

I would recommend walking 5k +- in between your run days. This will benefit your fitness gains and aid recovery. Your body will thank you.

2) Unfortunately I'm not into the whole marathon thing, so others on the forum will be better placed to answer this. As I mentioned above, running is the 2nd hardest endurance activity, so you can't hammer it all the time like many other sposrts.  Those who run ultra's (longer than marathon distance) will generally run up to half to 2/3rds of their race time/duration, so for a 50 miler you would run up to 30 miles. This differs from person to person.

A suggestion would be, once you are up to 1/2 marathon distance, to run walk up to 16 miles and increase from there. In fact why not add a mile or two of walking on to your present runs. This will also work as a good cool down. Never be afraid to stop running if you have to, but never stop moving, always move forward.

Keep going mate.

• Options

Hi George, another thought. It might be useful to evaluate your training in terms of the duration you run for. I would worry less about your speed and more about how long you are actually running for.

An example would be:

Monday         45mins

Wednesday   60mins

Friday    30mins

Sunday  90mins

This way you are varying the workload but working towards progressively longer sessions. Shorter runs during the week with a long one at the weekends. You can use the mileage you cover and speed to evaluate your performance. It is good to have a shorter run after a long run especially when you are starting out. Also, as I mentioned earlier throw an hours walk in inbetween the runs as it aids the recovery process.

• Options

Hi guys heres an update of my situation...

first off heres a website that you may want to take a look at....

http://breakthrough.org.uk/running_club/breakthrough_runners/george_tsiappourdhi.html

Secondly went for my longest run yet yesterday... 9.5 miles which i did in 112 mins. I did a race last week, 7 miles over in Telford and did it 68.44 minutes.

Obviously im sore and stretching at every possible opportunity but sunday showed me that I am more than capable of running the marathon...

• Options

Well done George.  Thanks for keeping us posted.  Good luck for the rest of your training.

• Options

just spent the last hour reading this thread from start to finish!!!

George, I take my hat off to you, your weight loss is amazing, you are really putting the miles in it seems too. 

Just a quick question really, did you run the whole 7 miles? If you did, your fitness has come a long way in such a small time frame (only comparing you to mine here lol!!)

Best of luck in your training!!

• Options

BUMP! 

I'd love an update on this thread. 

• Options
    The much anticipated update...

With under ten days to go the moment I have been training for is nearly here...

My longest run 16 miles... Is a little low but did not struggle with... Think it was tougher than doing the marathon, all alone with no support!

I'm in the 16 stone weight area and thank god for leggings otherwise my skinvwould have caused me major problems!!!

Just want to say thank you to gym addict for sponsoring me really appreciate it!!!

Not managed to raise the target I set myself but will continue after the race!!!

That's all for now!!! Wish me luck!

www.virginmoneygiving.com/georgesmarathonfundraisingpage
  • Options

Good luck for the day - come back and update us! 

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    All the best George!
  • Options

Hi Guys

On the 5th June 2009 I weighed 27 stone 1lbs yesterday I ran the marathon!!!!

PB: 5:36:14

Strategy went a bit wrong, could have done it in under 5hrs but was struggling with the bladder lol!

Going to apply for next year's event and aim to do it in under 4 and a half!!!

IVE GOT THE BUZZ NOW!!!

• Options
    Well done.  You should be sooo proud of your achievements image
  • Options
    Well done George, great effort
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Well done George - that's fantastic!
  • Options
    Hi all,I have just had a quick look at this thread,I read the first few posts and couldnt wait to see if you did it George.Wow huge well done to you,what an inspiration you are.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Well done, George. You showed them all. Now keep going for 2011.
  • Options
    Womble were you there dressed as a womble???
  • Options
    Thanks for the sponsorship by the way!!!
  • Options
    Fantastic effort, dont even know you but very proud of you !!! image
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    George, no. I'm afraid I wasn't running this year but was on the RW support point at Mudchute.
  • Options

Unlucky mate!

Well I gotta say thanks to RW its been a major source of knowledge for me!!!

Im now looking over the training plans for a sub 4:30 marathon!!!

• Options
    All those people who said you were stupid for trying and wouldn't do it. What a fantastic time and a massive achievement. WELL DONE!!! image