Options

Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

I always like to have 3 targets for each race - less chance of disappointmentimage. Can't move for frozen snow at the moment - hoping to get out later for my long run - looks like it's going to have to be up and down the beach!!image

• Options
    nowt wrong with coming last - prefer not to though!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

I've always tried to give myself a few goals that I would be ok with.  Sub 3 is my ultimate and the one I put on here, but I'd be happy with a marathon quicker than my last year's one, which should be a much easier target and if that goes then for me it would to be inside 3:15.

Lots of snow here in Yorkshire again, so 20 miles done in it this morning, which was tough, but fun.

Sub 3:00

Hilly
    Flying Ant

Sub 3:15

Sub 3:30

Sub 3:45

Sub 4:00

Sub 4:15

Sub 4:30

DolphinFriendly
    annadav
    seren nos

Sub 4:45

Sub 5:00

Sub 5:15

Sub 5:30

Finish in one piece

annadav
    Hilly

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

FROZEN snow everywhere here, couldn't go anywhere until 3.30ish then had another drive to Pendine for 17m along the beach -- 4.5m out and back, then 4m out and back. Nice and flat, but running so far without any features (in the dark for most of it!!) was mentally tough - especially being able to see the lights of the village where I started from at the turn 4.5m away - didn't seem to get closer very quickly, an once I reached there, I knew I had to turn around and do most of it again....imageimage  And the nice firm sand froze hard after dark - more like running on concrete. Had enough of snow now!!

• Options

Good point about having 3 goals I usually have 2 for races but will have a 3rd in mind for this ie finishing.

No snow here but quite frosty & slippery, managed 5 miles yesterday, 14 on Saturday.

Back to work for me today *sighs* so I think my next run will be a speed session on the treadmill at the gym.

• Options

Morning All - Day 1 of my 15 wk programme (just my own) and I don't know if I'm more gutted to have Swansea covered in snow, a stinking cold - or relieved that they have both come at the same time!

SJ - I couldn't tell you who was running. Like Flying Ant, I've asked a few questions and had some answers. On that - I'm pleased they've switched to 9.30 - but that's easy to say when you live 20 mins from the course!

Right - my finish time. I remember in my last marathon I got into trouble for listing a finish time band that allowed for perfect, good and acceptable image so I'll boldly state that my time will be around 3.20... which means I'll be running alone!! Or maybe I'll hang on for you sub 4.30ists!!

Hilly
    Flying Ant

Cable

DolphinFriendly
    annadav
    seren nos

• Options

Happy New Year all.  I'm back from xmas hols and getting back into my training plan after a fortnight "rest".   Managed a bit of running - in Germany it was minus 12 and we were also in the Alps (I don't ski - I run) and running at 3500 feet is a lot different when you are used to running just 40 feet above sea level!

Felt a tad rickety yesterday but the prom at mumbles was really icy and had a freezing wind so pleased to have got out.  I'll stick myself in for a goal time (can't get rid of the space) but really just hoping to get to the start without any injuries!

ub 3:00

Hilly
    Flying Ant

DolphinFriendly
    annadav
    seren nos

Sideshowbob

Finish in one piece

annadav
    Hilly

• Options

When I went for my New Year's Day run, Mumbles was the best bit! I slid all the way down the cycle path from Dunvant - a new PB, although unofficial due to ice assistance!! Took me until Jan 3rd to get back up though!

• Options

HI,

Have been reading these posts with interest - the race information people have posted he is great - thankyou! Heres hoping the website will be up and running soon. I'm pleased to hear the start is now 9.30am too -  hoping to make it back in time for a late sunday lunch.

This will be my first marathon, and I'm aiming to finish in sub 5 hours. (Think I can do sub 4.30, but am fitting my training around wedding prep, and finishing a dissertation)

I work at a local cancer centre, and will be raising money for the clinical trials unit there. My colleagues all think I'm barmy for training in this weather, but have been quite supportive.

Are many of you doing the 1/2 marathon in March?

Good luck with the training, see you there.

Best wishes, lts

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

LTS - I'll be there for the 1/2image

• Options

jd - Excellent.

Forgot to say I've devised my own training schedule, based around 5 runs per week. Going to plan so far, just need to get my healthier eating back on track...

• Options

LTS - I'll be at the half. Should be a good indication of the route, although they tell me the full will NOT be two laps of the half - that's all I know!!

This week I wish I had access to a treadmill - first time in about 2 years!!!

• Options
    hi all started my plan monday 4th but on hols end of jan for a week hope to do a bit then but u know what its like on hols? so might just do a 12week plan.trying to do a bit on treadmill to bad on the streets of merthyr.was hoping to do the round the lakes 20mile in march anyone else doing it has part of they training.hoping for sub 3.30 hilly. so put me down thanks.good luck all.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the snow now - we had another 3-4 inches today - my car's 400 mtrs from my house- closest I could getimage. The only plus was that it covered the compacted frozen stuff that had turned my local hills into a mini version of the Cresta Run!! Took the opportunity to run through the fresh stuff on the back roads here tonight - the slowest 10 miles I've ever done on the road!! Hard and slow, but fun as well - except for the part where a tractor's tyres had compressed the snow into sheet ice and I went over on my a**eimage. More snow again nowimage
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Lots of treadmill running here at the moment due to heavy snow.  Managed to get to the gym today, but have a home treadmill too, which I did a few miles on this afternoon.

Had a nice email from the race organiser who sent me a link to the new website that is up and running but not still having some information put on, which he says will be done by the end of the week. 

Keep safe out there folks.

• Options

Powell1 - Sub 3.30? - See you on the day!

Been looking into where I can get on a treadmill as I can't take this anymore! I understand the logic completely, but it's such a pain that you can't use one without being booked in for an induction first! With New Year I'll get mine just as the ice is melting!!!!

Hilly - can you share the link?  

• Options

Groan! Finding it very hard to get any decent mileage done lately - can manage about 40 minutes tops on the treadmill, or along the beach. Roll on spring!

Cable - I'm a member of the LA's Activa Gym - get discount as part of the corporate scheme & use the gyms in Penyrheol, Penlan & Morriston - we pay £37 / month as a couple, includes use of gym, fitness classes and swimming in any of the council pools. Might be worth considering if you decide against a home treadmill?

Is anyone here racing on sunday (RB 10k in Cwmavon)?

Keep safe all image

• Options

Aah, the beach! Is it runnable?

I'm toying with Activa, but reluctant to join up to something which is an added cost and commitment, for the few days I can't get outside.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

We thought that last year, Cable when the snow came and we had a few days we couldn't run, but I have to say we really have made use of the membership this year.  I guess because we run high mileage, for us it's handy as sometimes on dark nights running on tarmac all the time can tire the legs more than when we can do a mixture of terrains in the spring/summer. 

The gym membership also makes us do a couple of core sessions a week, which we would ignore if we didn't go there!  Our home treadmill is ok, but not as good quality as the gym ones, but I've done 15 miles on it.  Much more boring though as in the gym there's lots going on to watch so the time goes faster, or seems that way.

On that note off to run on gym treadmill soon as no work today due to the heavy snow yesterday.

This is the link to the marathon website:-

http://www.humanbeingactive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135&Itemid=225

• Options

Wasn't too bad on monday night (joined it West cross & ran towards the cenotaph) but I stuck with the treadmill last night.

Agree about the gym - guess they might increase their prices in the new financial year too.

• Options

Cheers for the link Hilly - just clicked on and it read 10 days until the race!! - At least on first inspection it looked that way!!!

I'm doing a Penllergaer Woods run at lunchtime. Been told that the lower gravel track especially is ok. Even if it's only a mile or so, I just need to get out!!!!

• Options

Hilly
    Flying Ant

sub

DolphinFriendly
    annadav
    seren nos

Sideshowbob

Finish in one piece

Hi all I am in hope for sub3 but will look at anything under 3:15 still at it Hilly so see you there. my brother is also running and looking for sub 4:00 but he'll be lucky

• Options

Thanks for the link Hilly.

I suppose i've been fortunate that i live a short distance from the beach and the sand dunes and have managed some good fartlek sessions on that. I couldn't picture myself on a treadmill though, but i suppose its better than doing no training at all.

• Options

I'm doing 3x 20 milers in March

the grizzly,,,,,,,,,,,,the round the lakes at rhyader and the san domenico 20.........so my 3 long runs will have company

• Options
    Seren, thats a good idea, to use other races as 'training runs'.  i've done this a few times in the past myself, even using marathon races as training for ultra's. As you say, it beats running on your own ! 
  • Options

i will be doing the Gloucester 20 & the Bramley 20 races as my longest training runs & also to learn my mistakes, going off too fast(!), knowing when to eat jelly babies & what to drink.

Getting anxious that the snow won't clear soon to allow for my Friday afternoon training run. 

Is it foolish not to follow an established plan?  I have an issue about being told what to do which is the reason i have never done a marathon before!!!  Intend to do 3 runs per week, 1 x 6 miles, 1 x 5k time trial & 1 x  long run with mileage increasing through Jan & Feb to peak at 18.  I have to fit in other stuff & also playing tennis once a week , figure that as it gets the heart beating it should count as a training session so really doing 4 exercise sessions a week.

Hilly
    Flying Ant

sub

DolphinFriendly
    annadav
    seren nos

wait for me at the end (angela)

Sideshowbob

Finish in one piece

t

• Options

LTS - I've entered the Cwmafon 10k but weather's not looking good at the moment so we'll see.

SN - I was considering the San Dom 20 as my 3rd 20 miler but I'm a bit nervous I'll get carried away and try to run it too fast having never done a race as a training run. Will see how the other 20 milers go before making a decision.

Off work today but no running due to the snow & can't get the car out to get to the gym.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Hi Sub - yup I'm still at it and hoping to be for a few years yetimage

annadav - quite sensible to be concerned over using a 20 mile race as a training run if you've never done so before.  I've got years of running experience yet last year I got carried away doing 4 20 mile races on consecutive weeks and ended up racing 3 of them.  I left my marathon on the final 20 mile race as when it came to the marathon my legs were shot!  However, saying that my other half is a master at running races as training runs and one way to keep yourself controlled is to wear a HRM so as to know if you're working too hard.  As I'm going to be doing some races as training runs this year I will be wearing my HRM to keep my pace easy to steady.

Wait for me at the end - it's not foolish to not follow an established plan.  It's whatever suits the individual and depends on what you're trying to achieve.  Personally I think you could do with running a couple more days if you could manage it.  I would say even a basic schedule ( even if done by yourself ) should include a few more miles than what you say you plan on doing.  Just my opinion and not what you have to do obviously! image

Another 15 miles on the treadmill for me as still not able to get out on the thick snow covered pavements here.

• Options

Wait for me at the end,

Ive had a look at a few plans, and you might want to check out the FIRST programme based on running 3 times a week, plus 2 other activities (spinning, tennis, tiddlywinks, buckaroo - the last 2 may not count).  The 3 runs are a session of repeats / intervals (30mins) a tempo run (60mins)  and a long run starting with 13 miles.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Managed to find a snow free, but busy (not ideal, but....) snow free 3.5m stretch of road today to run 2x out and backs (image) for 14m.image