Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Cheers Lardarse. Certainly not a lot of flat there. Appears to start with a nice down hill mile and a climb at 2 miles?

Perhaps I need to do some long runs away from the sea front prom!

• Options
    The start is downhill, that's so that you run far too fast at the beginning and burn yourself out before you meet the first (much steeper than the downhill bit) hill! image There is quite a bit of flat on the course, it's just not all flat, if thats what you were expecting.
  • Options
    And the last couple of miles are down hill image The first hill is the worst one, the profile makes it look hilly but it is not that bad.
  • Options

There's some nasty little inclines but it's mostly short, sharp stuff rather than long drags that seem to go on forever.

Don't think I've ever been in a fit enough state to register it being downhill over the last couple of miles!

• Options
    Me neither Kazzzaaaaah.  Maybe this year tho image
  • Options
    Just found this thread. Am really looking forward to this race as I have heard so many good things about it. Only thing that I am a bit worried about is the water in cups. Can't see how I am going to drink without stopping. Any tips? Hi Tired Legs how did Bentley go?
  • Options

Hi Zion

Bentley went very well till the last 2 miles, then it got really cold and the body didn't want to move.  Don't know what it is about that place but its always colder than any where else.

Good t-Shirt and goody bag though.

This is a lovely race.

• Options
    Hopefully won't have the same problem for this race!! Glad you had a good run and still training - not easy in this weatherimage
  • Options
    On the first lap of the course you'll find that you don't really notice the undulations. On the second lap they become more apparent. image

As mentioned before. If you're used to hills then our course will seem very flat and scenic.
  • Options

Looking forward to doing this race again this year image

• Options

Just psyched myself up to do my first ever ultra, hoping that there would be one at Halstead this year but it doesn't look like it.  boo hoo.  What a shame.  I ran the mara last year and thought the ultra was well attended, so wonder why there isn't one this year?

Hi Zion  image

• Options
    The ultra isn't being organised this year because there wasn't sufficient support on the marathon organising and club committees. We're only a small club and due to the change in personnel on the organising committee that it was seen as something that could be dropped for 2010.

Personally, I'd love to see it back next year.
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi, I was hoping to be back for the ultra too. Enjoyed it very much last year (well apart from one or two miles towards the end).

I hope to be back anyway for a 4th year if only to try and walk away from this one the once recognising that it is not a hilly course really!

Hope that your running is going well Flynn. I've done a couple more ultras over the last year and was hoping to stay ahead of you this time!

• Options
    Thanks, Flynn.  Shame about the lack of support on the committee front.  Perhaps it can turn into an event that's happening every 2 years instead of annually.  Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    QB: I've been training a hell of a lot. Catch me if you can. image Halstead will be the only marathon I race this year. The only other marathon I'm doing is London and I'm running that with a large backpack. I don't think I'll be troubling any course records.
    CAD: As the new committee structure beds in there's certainly a chance that the ultra happens next year. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

if you run this with your large back pack I may be in with a hope! Otherwise, plenty of time yet for me to claim an injury

pleased your trainings going on strong, you seemed to be doing a lot when we compared notes last year. What ultras are you doing?

• Options
    I'm running London with a backpack. I'm running Halstead to set a good time which means travelling light.

This year the ultras are ...

Moonlight Challenge. - 32.75 miles (on Saturday)
    Sevenoaks Circular - 30 miles (March)
    Downland Ultra Challenge - 30 miles (July)

and the big one for me ...

The Longmynd Hike - 50 miles, 8000 feet climbing, which I'm going to run.
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭
    good stuff, wish you well - esp the last one which really is 'the big one'! I did one day of the pilgrims challenge which was 33m across the North Downs earlier this month and that took me 'running' 6hrs. No way would I really have fancied the extra miles and climbs that you'll face. I may try for London to Brighton but got to weigh up whether I really have the energy and time required
  • Options
    I'd always thought that the London to Brighton was something that I wanted to do but I've now changed my mind. It's just far too expensive to enter, get accommodation, travel, etc. There's plenty of challenges in the UK that are much better organised and far cheaper.
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭
    fair point. I just like the idea I guess of completing on foot a well known distance / route.
  • Options

Hi All

I did this marathon last year was a great experience, Had friends watching at the pub and stopped for a half of the local bitter.

Would defo recommend it, I have just decided today that im going to enter again this year even though i havent done any exercise this year apart from a couple of games of footie.

my PB is 4:33:15 ran at london in 2006 so anything around that time would be great.

Hope everyones training is going well

Andy 

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Andrew Johnson 31 wrote (see)

I did this marathon last year was a great experience, Had friends watching at the pub and stopped for a half of the local bitter.

Now thats an idea. Stopping for a half at the half way point. Plenty of Carbs in that.
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

QB - I really enjoyed L2B last year, as you say it's a distance even non-running people can picture. Trouble is it's gone up something like £20 or £30 quid this year which , when added to my taxi fare / hotel night is putting it out of my range.

This year it's the Ridgeway Challenge for me  - midday start and no hotel as running through the night.

Flynn - I'll be entering as long as I can get  to Halstead, this may be my annual road event.

• Options
    Helly D: Look forward to seeing you. Halstead is the only road marathon I'm actually going to try and set a time on this year. Fancy a race? image
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Heh,  I know you are faster than me off road, I put that down to you having longer legs and actually training properly. Is Colchester where I should be aiming for  with the public transport?
  • Options
    Braintree is probably closer.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Flynn - are you going for the course record this year?

• Options

Well this took a while to find.

How we all doing - been on hols for the last 3 weeks so my training has gone to pot, now coming down with somit .  Oh well at least its not till May.

• Options

I'm in.

So all set for another 4:00 assault (not!). Been injured for much of the year since this one last year so I'll very pleased to get past the start line.

• Options

Know how you feel SBF. Early injury in 2008 scuppered my chances that year, felt  good this year and ran Wymondham 20 couple of weeks ago. Now I have tendonitis on the achilles, will end up not running for at least 3 weeks.

Not sure how this will pan out