Options

Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Options

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble sleeping.image

Great videoimage

See you later....

• Options

I'm killing myself laughing at the times of your posts - 03.44, 04.31 and looks like Evil Pixie had a  long lie til 06.10.  Nutters! image

• Options

LOL!

Well, all excited to hear about it (was I the only one who had the urge to go and hang round central london parks, just in case.... fairly easy to resist with everything else I've got to do I'm glad to say!)

Not nearly so exciting my end... I didn't make it to Finsbury Park.  For some reason didn't feel like getting up early on my first day of a week off work *G*  Feeling I need a light day training wise.  So did just 2*12 minutes.  Hoping to feel up to tackling 4*12 minutes tommorrow, but will see if I still feel stiff.  Have got a bit of cleaning and tidying done, and lots of looking at white goods on the internet (I'm looking at getting a new cooker and going for a fridge freezer to replace both my barely working fridge and ok but I could do with the space in my kitchen freezer)

• Options

Shattered. Just shattered.

Had a great day. Paul, my coach, ROCKS. That's official.image

Now drinking a cold coke. Sorry, I mean, lucoozade.

• Options

Looks like I'm first back then.

Wow.  Well, where to start, what a day.  We all met at St James's Park, then found out that Spinkletoes was having a Network Rail induced disaster and was not moving somewhere outside Colchester.  Reluctantly - very reluctantly, we set off without her.  Thankfully Pixie had a GPS and one of the guys had a map, so like a scene out of The Apprentice we all eventually found the place.  To be fair it is a bit tucked awayimage

Walking up the stairs when you've seen the video of last year was odd, talk about deja vu.  Anyway, we met a lovely bunch of people who were organising the day, all of whom looked scarily fit to me, and if I hadn't got to know the other 5 offline I'd have been into serious wibble by that point.

Once they fed me I felt much better!  Had brekkie, had an initial hello and welcome, then we were introduced to our coaches.  Richard and I have been allocated to Liz, and yes I'm chuffed to bits about that for all sorts of reasons, not least because  people from work stand some glimmer of a chance of understanding how big all this is for me.

If I get nothing more out of the next five months, then the foot scan will all have been worth it.  As I've said before, I'm seeing an osteopath for all sort s of niggles around my left foot/ankle, which he says are due to some imbalance in my back.  He's dealing with the imabalance, but more to the point the addidas foot scan showed that whilst my right foot does what it should, my left is so out of line it's hard to know where to start.  With 20:20 hindsight, I realise that all the niggles started after a much less scientific gait analysis which told me I'm a neutral runner, so I swapped from a support shoe to a neutral shoe.  From there is where all the problems started.  It's obvious now....

The only bit which was pants was the video interview, I went to pieces with nerves, could hardly breathe I was in such a state, so whatever bollocks you hear me coming out with, please please belive me I'm not that much of a pillock.  The first thing he said was to tell the camera where I was and where I'm from.  Okay, a simple question, but nobody will have heard of where I live, so I managed to come out with "I'm Vicky and I live in a small village in South Cambridgeshire" in a voice that sounded somewhere between Linda Snell from the Archers and a dirty phone call.  

Anyway, apart from that little blip the rest of the day was absolutely fantastic.  Running in St James' Park trying to dodge the greenie protest was an unusual experience.  Protests have got so much tamer since the early '80s when I last went on one.  I did think of yelling a supportive "Maggie Maggie Maggie out out out" in their direction, but thought better of itimage

It was fantastic to meet the other five today who already feel like my best mates.  A big big thank you to everyone who made today so special for us, not least for woking on a weekend, and to Liz for working on her birthday..  I'm exhausted, shattered , happy, this thing is truly, truly special

• Options

Cross post Spinkletoes, make that second back.  I have the typing speed of a three toed sloth on mogadon.

Lovely to meet you today

• Options
    Oh feck I missed Pixie's post from ages ago altogether .  I'm going to go outside and sleep with the chickens, I think their brains are functioning on a higher level than mine at the moment
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    glad you had a great timeimage When are you starting your thread Hash? I want to follow your training schedule and all the training tips *stomps*image
  • Options

Hey you lot - sounds so exciting!!! What a fantastic day (even if you didn't manage any sleep last night!!)

It's great that you managed to get some sort of reasons behind your feet problems now, hash ... did they put you into the right shoe this time?? 

when do we get to see some vids??!  It'll be worth it to see your opening words, if nothing else, hash!!

Sounds like at least two of the coaches are fantastic and have some fans already!! I bet the third will be too!

I think I'll just settle back and watch this space!

I had a bit of a boost today too - smashed my 5k pb - though to be fair, hadn't run it for a while!! - by over 2 mins (race time) and still 52 secs quicker than my best in training - new pb of 27.46 - still finished in the bottom 20% but that's not the point is it?!! We've all got Reasons to be cheerful, eh?!

• Options
    Catherine's starting them all on about  14th December B.  Meanwhile some serious carbo-loading in the kitchen is called forimage
  • Options
    Well done all of you - sounds fantastic!!
  • Options

Echo was Hash said.

Fabulous day. Boo hiss to National Express East Coast.

The kit was, ahem, too small for me (knew it would be) so they're gonna have to work on that (buy tent?)  Adidas - you make size 6 (my wrist is size 6) why not the BIGGER sizes too? Pah...

Gotta love people who serve up Percy Pigs for lunch...

Missed the gadget input but will work on that when brain functions again. There's lots of bits..

Face aches from smiling for photos.

Just great to see everyone. Can't wait to start blogging!!

• Options

Hi BB.

Well done on smashing the pb. You star you.

• Options

Part 3, BB . image 

Well done mate

• Options

hey thank you!

Found the Dorney Lakes event info - on the human race website - which links to those nice Lucozade people - they do look at it all very scientifically, don't they?did you get any sort of feedback about how they're going to tweak your training, or is it too early for all that sort of stuff??? by the time April comes around, you'll be the ones looking scarily fit!!!

• Options

Took some photos so hopefully these will be able to be shared if you don't have a FB account:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=168084&id=531206467&l=db0c8bf384
    http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs061.snc3/12831_209544211467_531206467_4182895_29838_n.jpg

l-r Super Six 2010 (l to r) Christina (JBFAR), Lucy (Spinkletoes), me (MM), Vicky (Hashette), Kim (EP), Andy (AndyV)

The day was AMAZING and I do know how unbelievably lucky we all are. Christ, I got to run with Liz Yelling today - how ****ing cool is that! The photo shoots were fun if a little chilly but I am still buzzing about it now (11.22 p.m) and I've been up since 6.30 this morning

• Options
  • Options

Not the only one who's still buzzingimage

Of course it could be the sound of the wind howling and the prospect of the traditional drenching at the Luton Marathon Relay that's responsible for tonight's bout of rattling around the house, but somehow I doubt it!  At least this year the weather won't stop the race going ahead.

Is it me, or do we look like a bunch of extras from Star Trek?

• Options

Hi there everyone

So good to meet you all yesterday - the journey has really begun - no doubt about that!

I am not going to spill the beans as will leave that to the Super Six, but I know a few folk have been asking about the paced event at Dorney Lake - here is the link if you are interested - its going to be a great day.

http://www.humanrace.co.uk/more-info-on-lucozade-sport%3Cbr-%3Erace-your-pace-398.html

Anyway, for those running today have a good one.

All the best

Shona  image

• Options

Up early, head full of stuff still.

Is Richard Jean-Luc Picard? Make it so....

May have a plod later but first must stick hand up chicken's bottom as we're having family over for Sunday roast.

Enjoy!!

• Options
    What an amazing day!! So great to meet everyone...Thanks for the pics MM. very good- didnt realise you were taking sneaky pics throughout the day!

Sprinkletoes: Did you get back safe last night...hope you got a lot of tips from our coach on the drive back?!

Out for a dog walk now...will save my run for later!!
    Have a good day all....
  • Options

Very sneaky pics since he was in them!  Looks like he had an accomplice.

The pacing event looks great, except, for me, the paces!  Slowest is 9 minute miling.  I've yet to do a mile in under 10 minutes, even when I'm just running a mile!  And if you kept that pace up over a marathon it would get you in under 4 hours.  Bit fast for several of of the 6 I think...

• Options

Chicken stuffed (it was dead first).

Do you take your dog out for runs?  Got back safe and sound. Me and Paul talked football, running, life and stuff all the way home. We were delighted City won and Town drew. Looks like I'm on the Get You Round schedule since that's the schedule nearest to my ability. They are not going to devise anything between sub 5:00 and Get Round, which is kinda where I am. But hey ho - I'd like to be keeping up with the RW pacing group on the day and that gets round in 5:30. Which I'd be delighted with! So the trick is to get as fit as possible and get the long runs in.

Nothing to it then.....

Paul's a lovely bloke  - though I reckon he could get pretty tough if necessary!!

• Options

Hi Rowan Green Faster at Forty....

Just pikcing up your point on pacers at Dorney - will come back to you...agree 9mm maybe rather swift.....will talk to Human Race and give you an update!

Glad sun shining now....morning was dismal

Shona

• Options

So it's all real then!!! Great to see you all looking like proper athletes - like a proper team - and proper enjoying yourselves!

So you've taken yet another significant step on this journey leading towards pbs all round in the VLM - ho cool is that??!

Glad your chicken was dead first spink!!! Did you all get a better night's sleep last night???

I've been having a good weekend too on the running front! After yesterday's pb at a parkrun for 5km, went on what was supposed to be an 8 mile LSR ... when I reached my turning point for the 10km route (it's all uphill to start with) I realised that my Slow run wasn't so slow after all - 31.15 - (I hadn't really paced myself!) so I turned back and got under the hour for 10k for the first time in 59 mins 6 secs (1 min quicker than my previous pb!!!) So excited, since breaking the hour has been my time goal since I put in the forms in for my first ever 10k back in April !!! I know it's only training, but the course is probably harder than a flat 10k race, being a gradual slog uphill for the first 5km, so looks like that barrier (to a proper 10k pb) should fall easily enough in the New Year, as long as I keep working at it!!!