Comments

• Options
    Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭

Oh No !

Can you imagine the queues !

And all the Germans will be pushing in front of us image

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    The race is now completely full - there is no waiting list, and no entries on the day. If you are desperate to get a place, you can leave your contact on this thread, and try and blag a place from someone dropping out. If you succeed, then send me an email (rob at trionium dot com) to tell me the name of the person you are replacing, your DoB, age on race day, and club affiliation if any.

Thanks to everyone who has already entered - the race is full a month before last year's race, and two months before race day.

If you finally fail to get in, please consider coming to marshal - it is a really great day out (and you'll be able to walk normally the next day too).

All you runners should also be turning your thoughts towards the Greensand Marathon on 17 October - a real challenge!
  • Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    I can assure you my thoughts will be nowhere near the Greensand Marathon!
  • Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭

entered for my sins (very few i must confess) but know this must be fun and early training for BHM and DoTD

any advice on shoes - mainly can i get away with road shoes? also how many water stations are there?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It has to be road shoes. Spiky things are banned by order of the landowner.

If I recall correctly from past instructions by Mr race director Dr Robert  ... feel free to correct me, anyone?

• Options
    I'm sure trail shoes are allowed - just don't have those spikey things maybe???image
  • Options
    I "did" (avoiding the term "ran") the Greensand last year and road shoes were fine. To be perfectly honest walking shoes wouldn't have been far off the mark either! Annoyingly it remains my only marathon to date meaning I have a 5hr 13 PB! Will be having another go this year - I would thoroughly recommend it!
  • Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Normal trainers will get you round - studs and spikes are banned (not needed anyway). Personally, I would go for something with a bit of cushioning!

Peter - glad you liked the Greensand. If I wasn't running it, I'd be running in it!

• Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

Definitely road shoes and definitely cushioning.  I switched back to my Lunarglides for 9 miles of Box Hill this week and in the dry conditions I was even more grateful for the cushioning.  My knees feel fine at the moment which is more than can be said for my last outing in off-road shoes.

And I finally got to go over the stepping stones again.  Only the 2nd time in 10 visits that the water has been low enough!

• Options

The Picnic was brutal last year (and probably every year) but I am still considering doing it again in 2011. I ran the first half in 2:30. The second took 3:15 so the wheels well and truly fell off! (Finishing time 5:45) My recent times for a “normal 1/2M” is around 1:45. Thus the Munro is about +50%. The Picnic was +50% on my time at Abingdon.

I managed The Greensand last autumn in 4:41. I ran Abingdon the week before in 3:50, so The Greensand is about +20%.

The Munro/Picnic course is much harder than The Greensand course.

I would like to come in under 2:30, but who knows!

I am really looking forward to this. Dr Rob runs magic events.

• Options

10% of the runners are over 50 years old (me included). Is this a normal mix for this kind of event?

i see from the final entrants list that there are 4 runners who are in primary school (5 years old)

• Options

No Toes - some magnificent efforts there! I'd had more than enough at the end of the Munro last year - a pack of hungry wolves wouldn't have been enough to persuade me to head up the main slope of Box Hill for a second time! I'm training a lot better this year and consuming a little less of my favourite tipples so I'm really hoping to see a good improvement. I may consider the Picnic next year!

I don't fit in with your 50+ group (a mere whipper snapper at 43) but the appeal to me with these events (apart from the surroundings) is the challenge - I got into running far too late and unfit to be able to ever be a fast runner. So I tried the Knacker Cracker and now I'm sold on these events - Dr Rob does put on a great event or two!

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

I'm now officially bricking it about this run..............

I did my 1st training run on the course today, and only managed 5 miles....... the first 2.5 miles up Box Hill, down to the stepping stones, and then back up to the viewing point are absolutely brutal......

Luckily there are still 10 weeks to go, so from now on I'm officially in hill training mode.

• Options
    Ah it's not that bad really.... You'll be fine.....
  • Options
    Is it time for my medication already nurse?
  • Options

I've been a muppet and not registered in time, is anyone unable to make this date who is already registered and wanting to let me buy their place from them?

Thanks

• Options

I have also been a muppet and not registered in time, if there is anyone else who cannot make the half marathon please offer their place to me and obviously I'll pay.

Thanks very much.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I'm registered on this race - I'm struggling with an injury however. Can anyone recommend a sports physio in the Dorking area with experience of running injuries? Funnily enough, I got this when I stacked it doing the Leith Hill Half.

If I can't clear this, then one of you luck y people may get your place after all!

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    My old friend Sarah Friday in Dorking is good, she sorted me out.
  • Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

Plan for this weekend is another attempt at a decent recce / training run.

From Ryka's to stepping stones, to Smith and Western, and then through the woods to car park at Juniper's Bottom, and reverse..... which I think should be just over 10 miles

I may be gone some time, but so be it......

GO's JustGiving page

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

Hooray - today's training run was much better..... even if it did pee down from about halfway....

Running in the rain

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Half of me is getting extremely excited about this race now.  The other half is reminding the excited half that I'm recovering from patellar tendinosis and wondering whether it's such a good idea.  (I'm sure I'll be fine!)  image

This Scottish piper - not the same chap who I ran past 17 miles into the Beachy Head Marathon by any chance?  A proper Braveheart moment, that!

• Options

I'm going to add myself to the if you can't do it can I do it for you list, so I can quake gently in the background, let me know if you can't make it, thanks.

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

right then.........

plan for tomorrow is to start at Whitehill carpark, run down Headley Lane to start of route, up Box Hill, down to stepping stones, back up to view point, down to bottom, up to Smith & Western, through woods to Juniper Top, down to car park, up Eiger steps, along Whitehill, down to half-way point, then reverse to car park...........

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

almost went to plan - but got a bit carried away..........

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/37826/Gallery/box_Hill_10mile_run.jpg

I also now know why the Eiger steps are called the Eiger steps - me no like.....

• Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

They are a bit steep aren't they?  I scared the sh*t out of a woman walker there last week - somehow she didn't hear my incredibly heavy breathing as I came up behind her.  I managed the whole route minus the last loop of steps / stepping stones and could hardly lift my feet by the end but I'm a bit happier about my 2.15 prediction now.

Taking a week off from Box Hill this week while I build up to smashing my 4.5 year old 10K PB on Sunday. 

• Options

Shiny - maybe it was the heavy breathing!!

2.15 would be a fantastic achievement. I ran regularly at Box Hill for last year's event but I've changed tactics this year. My theory is that Box Hill was leaving me too tired to get the full benefit from the training. So this year I'm concentrating on improving my general fitness/pace and incorporating hill intervals. It seems to be working but the real proof won't be until I post a better time of course!

Good luck with your 10k - keep us updated!

• Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭

38:45 and a frankly astounding 10th place (I think all the fast people stayed away this year) at the Staines 10K knocked 1.5 minutes off my previous PB image.

I've set PBs at 5 different distances in 5 months so now I think I can relax a bit to build up to my second PW of the year.

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Phew...good going! Congrats!
  • Options

Great run Shiny - well done on all the new PBs! I fancied the Staines 10k but I had to work..