Options

'Round The Coast Of Great Britain Run

Comments

• Options

ta JM -glad of your imput. yes will take some doing but can be done.

Have just sorted out 17 districts which we can place ourselves inimage

Blackpool- Carlislish

Carlisle Ayr

Ayr-Fort William

Fort William to Ullapool

Ullapool ton Wick

Wick to Aberdeen

Aberdeen To Edinburgh

Edinburgh To South Shields

South Shields to Grimsby

Grimsby to Great Yarmouth

Great Yarmouth to Sdouthend

Southend To Portsmouth

Portsmouth to Plymouth

Plymouth to Bristol

Bristol to Aberystwyth.

Aberystwyth to Flint

Flint to Blackpool

that is my idea and some forumite can help do a certain district . Who does what part depends on peops in that district.

• Options
    image nothing worth doing is easy chaps. Just stick on what you can do and the rsst of us can get a idea about where and when things need special attention. I'm very suprised we've covered as many bases already in about 12 hours. image
  • Options
    you are right Cake. At this rate we will get peops for all around and we can worry baout the rest later. It can be done I am certain.
  • Options

I was going to volunteer for Suffolk, but i don't know if i fancy it now your going round clock wise!

• Options
    you superstitious lardy?
  • Options

I've just seen this thread and think it would be a great idea.

Obviously with work committments etc I would need exact times so I could check my availability, preferably a few months in advance. I would be happy to cover some of the North West, I'm originally from Lancaster so Lancaster-Blackpool or any of the coast around that area would be achievable.

P.S. Not a very experienced runner, have only ever run about 18 miles but I think/hope the distance should be achievable

• Options

Just to point out the 18 miles is in one go not in total!

• Options

It was a joke, i just had this vision in my head of going anti-clock wise, must be the way i think, 50-50 chance.

Anyway, most races seem to run anti-clock wise, maybe thats why it was in my head.

So put me down for Suffolk if you wan't image

• Options

Great James -may start and finish at Blackpool. 

Lardarse i was joking tooimage

FF Essex

Hoose -Flint -Liverpool

Paul Williams Liverpool- ?

James Morris _Blackpool Lancaster ish (possible starter or finisher)image

Gemma DG- Grimsby Skegness way

Cake - Yorkshire coast past Humber down to Suffock depending on what other nutter's what to do the east side and dates.

Lardarse -Suffolkish

Dark Vader - Kent Sussex ish

Slo sho - Kent Sussex ish

Shimmster - North/mid Kent

K8 -Londonish-south coast -

Loon Dod -North East  Scotland

Christmas Duck(and maybe mum) -Aberdeenish coast

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    I don't mind doing west wales - or a bit of it, anywayy!!  We have a nice costal path....
  • Options

great mitiogimage

FF Essex

Mitiog -West wales

Hoose -Flint -Liverpool

Cake - Yorkshire coast past Humber down to Suffock depending on what other nutter's what to do the east side and dates.

Lardarse -Suffolkish

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options

FF Essex

Mitiog -West wales

Hoose -Flint -Liverpool

James Morris _Blackpool Lancaster ish (possible starter or finisher)

Lardarse -Suffolkish

Parklife - Morayshire and would greatly prefer off-road

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    At the risk of them taking over completely, maybe the baton could be held between stages at local running clubs? Or town halls, Libraries? This would be better for publicity as well (if its for charity) than handing it over once you get to Joe Bloggs house. Or if you did it for hospitals say, you could hand it over there, they're open 24-7. Just think this would cut down on the time scheduling element as mentioned by JM.
  • Options

Great idea but a hell of a project. Agree with some of the comments about the remote areas of Scotland, v v difficult to sort that out.

Are you planning this to be mainly run on or off road? Sorry if I missed that bit but I have read the whole thread. There are obv a huge number of stunning coastal paths and would surely be good to include as many of these as possible. (I think 5000miles is a bit of an underestimate)

However, I would be very keen to take part, as with many people dependant on when etc. But would prob be prepared to travel to cover a nice part of the coast so could be flexible. I am in South London so I guess Kent/sussex are nearest but as I say I could be flexible and would like to do a small part of Devon or Cornwall or somewhere nice!

Could prob only do 20 but if it is later in the summer who knows maybe 30.

Keep going and good luck.

• Options
    good idea Lardyimage There are ways around most probs. The Flint to Blackpool area is almost done in theory
  • Options
    Hi Paul -on road but of course will bbe some off road. It would be up to peops in partic district to decide that. Some areas are gonna be tough but with enough runners that know the places like that, it could be sorted at that level.
  • Options

FF Essex

Hoose -Flint -Liverpool

Lardarse -Suffolkish

Pauls4 - Devon/cornwall 

Parklife Morayshire

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options
    Anyone put this on Ultra yet? You should get some takers there, fair few who know the south coast pretty well. I'd like to take part but untill there are some firm dates I can't because of work image
  • Options

not on Ultra yet GP.

I was thinking Start at Blackpool at End of April or summat. Should be back in Blackpool in mid August(I hope). You can estimate what time of year it would bbe from that.

to get more exact time I guess someone could do map my run around area and estimate on 40 miles per day I guess. May try in future

• Options
    Minor practical consideration on the direction of travel.  Given that the weather is generally less sheltered on the west coast than the east, due to prevailing west/south-westerly winds, I think it would make more sense to run in a clockwise direction so that those on the west have got the wind up 'em.  (Those on the south coast may suffer slightly but you can't please everyone!)
  • Options
    I'm interested.  Edinburgh area.
  • Options

Ta Hamishimage

FF Essex

Hoose -Flint -Liverpool

Lardarse -Suffolkish

Pauls4 - Devon/cornwall 

Parklife Morayshire

Hamish Williams -Edinburgh area

Dubai Dave -South Devon

• Options

I am filling up coz its filling upimageimage

up to all of us to make this happen. The is a bbig forum project  for next year

• Options
    Bugger, already commited to the Cotswold 50 on June 25th.
  • Options

lets see if we can land a week or two earlier or later GP- may form part of trainingimage

we will all know well in advance. All should have about 3 months notice when we sort dates for district. Any probs with peops a week before they are are due can be sorted on forum and replacements found I bet. This forum is big enough I reackon

As long as Barry The Baton gets 'round I dont care if your Great Aunt Mabel does a stintimage

• Options

Might be shotting myself in the foot for saying this given that I'm not free to play till after Outlaw sorted but thinking you could kick this off at the Blackpool marafun? Also great idea about the running clubs, could we between us draft a e-mail/letter to each club in the area Barry goes through and try and get some of them direct to pass the Barry on or heckle as the nutters go past? Stuck a blog on fetch to pass on info. Early days there Hipp's pointed out that they did something similar there but no-one can remember where the baton is.

blog

fetchy thready?

• Options

Just had a quick look at mapping a route around Suffolk, which is probably one of the easist sections to map - nightmare! image

You going to need lots of local knowledge to link up all the sections of coast that you can get to, access routes and so on, where the private land is. You can't tell this from map my run or google earth. Think you need to recruit the section heads right o the doorstep of where they will manage.

If this is going to start in April, it all needs to have been done yesterday...

• Options

Yip lardy

We need peops who can act as section head asap. There may e issues of private land but coz it will only be a runner doing a patch it may not be a problem. We may have to via off in parts. That would be up to guys in particular section.  All those near eachother can communicate and organise a route now I guess.