Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Richard (sub-3:15)

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MM - if that a typical days diet then you are eating way too little. You need regular snacks to boost the metabolism and get more from your food (bagels, maltloaf, nuts, fruit etc). You also need more fruit and veg in your diet.

"Eat to compete"

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Forgot who asked but I take Glucosamine - cos I'm heavy and old (and wrecked my medial knee ligament in June 2007) and running is tough on my joints.
  • Options

Been flouting the no lurking rule so here's my top tip for the day:  for those who gag on porrige try mashed banana on toast as a pre run (or race) breakfast. Quick and easy to make and tastes great!

MM - congrats - your thread is flying. I'm struggling to keep up.

• Options

Yep - I'm also heavy, old, have knackered knees and take Glucosamine daily.

You can put what you like in porridge - it'll still taste revolting.  Muesli is the breakfast of kings.

• Options
    Peanut butter on homemade bread toasted.  Cycling or runnning, suits me fine.  Always slightly bemused seeing people forcing down porridge before events when it's obvious they don't normally eat it!
  • Options
    Glucosamine for me too. Banana or cereal bar when I get home from my run. Then later for breakfast cereals (porridge, shreddies, fruit'n'fibre or malty flakes with crunchy topper or dried fruit) and two thick slices of fresh bread or toast with marmalade and honey and a litre of water.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    porridge is my pre-long run (or race) fuel. Bllx to what it tastes like, food is fuel. But anything under about 16M is fuelled by fresh air.
  • Options
    andy from embsay wrote (see)
    (Silent) knight rider wrote (see)

I put on half a stone over Xmas, but hopefully should shift that in the next week or so.

Half a stone?  In a  week? That's some poo.... image

Sorry Andy, that was a typo. It should have read SHIT that in a week!
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)
    porridge is my pre-long run (or race) fuel. Bllx to what it tastes like, food is fuel. But anything under about 16M is fuelled by fresh air.

I was wondering about running without breakfast. I used to ride 50miles on a bike (2 1/2 hours) to deliberately hit the wall (or 'bonking' as cyclists and MM might call it) in an attempt to burn fat and also as a means of training the body to use fat rather than carbs. It was also good to prepare for running short of carbs in a race.

Good or bad idea? Has anyone tried this whilst running?

• Options

6M done in the snow thought it should have been a steady run so put a bit too much effort in. Teach me to read the schedule before going out  image

Happy Running Everyone

*Heads back to read the 100's of post that seem to have appeared*

• Options
    Keir Williams wrote (see)
    TR wrote (see)

I was wondering about running without breakfast. I used to ride 50miles on a bike (2 1/2 hours) to deliberately hit the wall (or 'bonking' as cyclists and MM might call it) in an attempt to burn fat and also as a means of training the body to use fat rather than carbs. It was also good to prepare for running short of carbs in a race.

Good or bad idea? Has anyone tried this whilst running?

Hi Keir,

I'm always out of the door 15 minutes after getting up and never have anything to eat. As long as you've eaten and drunk well the night before, I think it's fine. I do take a drink like Lucozade Body Fuel with me though if it's going to be a session exceeding 1.5 hours.

• Options
    The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Yep - I'm also heavy, old, have knackered knees and take Glucosamine daily.

You can put what you like in porridge - it'll still taste revolting.  Muesli is the breakfast of kings.

G&C for me too, knackered knees from rugby.  But muesli pre run?  You must be pebble dashing the countryside!

Gul, how long is breakfast in your gaff to eat all that?

• Options
    I was feeling miffed about Sundays race being cancelled but I've just read the funniest forum post ever: check out  "Great Running Technique" Under Training.
  • Options
    Windy - 30 minutes for breakfast interspersed with packing up 4 lunches.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - Gul darr is correct. Its what you eat the previous day that matters. Like i said if I'm going as far as 16M or more then I'll have some porridge, let it settle for 10 mins and then go. I take no drinks or gels during LSRs either to train the body to burn fat. But I will carry a gel when I get to the LSRs that I push the pace on in the 2nd 1/2. I think most of the early morning runners are "straight out the door types "

However I need loads of calories to cycle and would eat porridge before a 50M and take some flapjack or malt-loaf. BUt my cycling is more or less max effort all the way.

• Options
    Thanks for keeping the thread going guys - welcome to Kory although i think you may have wandered in off the sub 3 thread by mistake? image
    TR -  thanks for the dietary tips, I agree I'm light on snacking so will try to rectify that in the immediate future.

This Super Six thing is paying off as due to the telling offs from sub 3h15 regulars and on the advice of Liz I went out in my XC spikes tonight for a run while the wife and jnr snr were having their tea. i'd been playing with jnr snr out in the snow (snowball fights and pulling her on a makeshift sled) but found a spare 45mins and got out. It was fantastic! Out in the powdery snow in the pitch black in the local park for a couple of laps it was such fun. Definitely a run I wouldn't have done had I been self coaching or without the stern stare of the people on here.
    Liz said steady and let's face it, in these conditions it wasn't going to be easy was it?
    44m41s for 5.33miles at 8m22s pace. AV HR 166bpm, MHR 176bpm. Seeing as "steady" on this plan means marathon pace that's not far off marathon heart rate (170bpm) for me so that's fine.

Glad to see PorridgeGate has managed to seep over from the sub 3h15 thread where XPS was the porridge master.
  • Options
    Tr - 10 mins before running? with no problems? I to have porridge on everything over 16 but must be 3 hours or i get stomach cramps.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Zapo- yes, I start off slowly and get no problems. I dont have time to wait 3 hrs as my training has to be bagged early doors cos of life/family stuff. I dont have a massive bowl of the stuff though, one (tea)cup of oats, one of water and one of milk.

MM - try a few snacks and see how it goes. I'm big on nutrition - it never ceases to make me smile that some folks take the running science to the nth degree and then eat a load of carp.

• Options

Barry B wrote (see)

I was feeling miffed about Sundays race being cancelled but I've just read the funniest forum post ever: check out  "Great Running Technique" Under Training.

Have just been over there and haven't laughed so much in ages - who needs Liz and the other coaches when this sort of advice is on offer?! 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

Like i said if I'm going as far as 16M or more then I'll have some porridge, let it settle for 10 mins and then go. I take no drinks or gels during LSRs either to train the body to burn fat.

Interesting.  I've been doing progressive LSRs of up to 16m at the moment without any pre-fueling (as a first-time marathoner this is the longest I've ever run).  I have 18 scheduled this Sunday and 18 with 10 at MP the following week.   Perhaps I need to try and take on some food before the first 18 session.  TR - have you tried running greater than 16 in the past without pre-fueling?

• Options

Not that happy about it as it negates the whole point of running in my eyes

Surely the point of running as far as you are concerned for the next 3 months is to bag your sub 3:05 and fulfill the terms of being a super 6er.  If that means running on a treadmill during extreme weather then so be it.

I've done 40 miles in the last 3 days, all on the treadmill because it was the only way of getting it done up here.  We also ran 20 miles on Sunday outside in deep snow which took us 2:59 at 9 (Nine) m/m which was exactly 1 hour slower than I ran 20 miles in earlier last year at East Hull 20.  3 mins per mile slower than marathon pace due to conditions.  Needs must.  If you want it bad enough, suck it up and do it, as others have said.

Nice one to the people who've run multiple laps of a field in spikes, watched lots of test cricket and Phil `the Power' Taylor on the oche.

And from personal experience, Liz is spot on with leaving marathons in great 20m performances.  That day at Hull I know I could have gone on and done another 10k in under 40 mins for a sub 2:40.  Unfortunately I could not 5 weeks later.

• Options

I'm also very impressed with the nutritional advice you've got here about each of us being individuals with our nutrition just as we are with our training needs.

Unlike TR, I could not down a bowl of porridge and be out 10 mins later without leaving lots of it along the Trans Pennine Trail, but the Mrs is.  So I know on marathon morning I need to eat at least 3 hours before the B of bang.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SBD - no havnt tried. Over 16M takes me over 2hrs and I havnt risked it. I've done a couple of midweek 14s recently off no fuel and felt ok. I guess I could do more but havnt tried.

The 20M race I do in the build up (that I dont race) is full dress rehearsal where I take gels at 4, 8 , 12 and 16M. By then I'm used to running most of my LSrs with no gels/drinks e(except teh odd one in case I feel the need when I'm pushing for home).

I'm pretty new to this too and am a bit of a novice myself. But if you're having no issues so far then stay as you are (except maybe carry an emergency gel). As I see it, teh more you train yourself to run without gels/drinks then the better you will go when you get 5 gels and as much luco as you can swig on race day. Might be talikng bllx (again) though. Also make sure you eat very soon after your long run, cos theres a 30 minute window of opportunity to take advantage of, during which your food will do more for your recovery, than if you leave it longer. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    BR - sadly on race day , I dont get the chance to eat my porridge 10 mins before the off. So I have to snack on bagels and bananas after the porridge has been eaten (about 3 hrs before).
  • Options
    TR - you never ever talk bllx in the advice you offer or the insights you provide from your own running or things you have picked up from others. The only divergence in our approaches is the willingness to consider new or alternative aids such as Aussie carbo-loads, HRMs etc because they weren't around in the 80s.image
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good feedback and advice TR.  In the past, like BR, I've found I need 3 hours after food before running.  I can see I'm going to have to start experimenting as the 20m runs are not far away.  I will need to try out these gel things as well!
  • Options

I get sick to death of sweet energy bars and gels on long bike rides so I've become something of a pork pie afficionado (a James Cracknell recommendation after his LEJoG record attempt) - not sure they'd be the best things for running though...  I've started carrying one Torq gel with me on anything over 16m, and have it at half way whether I feel like it or not - another thing I've picked up from cycling is to eat pre-bonk not when it happens.

BR - I also note Liz's point about 20m races, but I posted on the sub-3:15 thread that I've had almost exactly the opposite advice from a 2:25 marthoner earlier today (run it "unihibited" were his words)!  Mind you, he's an old school, 75m a week minimum, 1980's type...

I'm pretty much decided that I'll do my 20m race but do the first half something below MP and the second half a bit quicker, but I still think it's different for different folks - I do seem to recover quite quickly (2x18m and a fell race last week with no ill effects) which probably has something to do with being a fat git.

• Options
    Andy - never raced more than half marathon so I guess a 20 mile race would take it out of me more than it would the 2.25 marathoner? Still plan to do the Asbhy 20 on 21st March though but will have to see what pace to go for. I hink 2.20 would be a good goal. I think you have a point about splitting the race in 2 halves. Easy for the first & MP for the 2nd?