Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Richard (sub-3:15)

Comments

• Options

Not my type of food for thought.... no auto-urine therapy for me image.

Emma, seriously though, how much is too much and how much is too little?  Say, talking litres per day (water/tea etc)?  Is it down to the individual or is there a general target intake per day for everybody to maintain a 1 to 2 on the chart?

• Options
    Windy - I'm on pint no.4 of the working day and after pint 3 I was at no.1 on Emma's chart
  • Options

Hi MM, just nipping in to have a nose at whether you've got your new training plan yet.  Just had mine and may or may not have managed to post it up I'll have a look in a min - my computer crashed with the effort!

I drink like a fish all day when I'm at work too, just sipping little and often.  It makes me take breaks from the  screen at least once an hour, although some of the epic two hour meetings can prove to be a challenge.

• Options
    Hashette wrote (see)

Hi MM, just nipping in to have a nose at whether you've got your new training plan yet.  Just had mine and may or may not have managed to post it up I'll have a look in a min - my computer crashed with the effort!

I've got it up to 14th Feb with Liz promising more to come.
  • Options
    Any chance of a nose?
  • Options

4M done started snowing on me as soon as I started so that put pay to it being an "easy run" ended up averaging around 7:45 pace.

By the time I'd finished there was a good half cm settled snow . All good fun image 

• Options
    Liz - not sure if you can pick this up tonight but the snow is falling heavily and settling up here in Coventry. The plan says 3miles each way to work running but I don't know how much snow will fall overnight so do I run in or take the MTB? There is no car option
  • Options

MM - I'm just the same - loads of water at work, but not much at the weekends. I also drink lots of coffee though. My New Year's resolution is to limit myself to two a day and if I want another hot drink, stick to black or green weak tea. I don't drink before I go out for a run first thing in the morning - too worried about being caught short!

• Options
    Bloomin snow!! Not here yet but hoping it stays away. Track night tonight for me, totalled 6.5 miles incl jog to and from track. Not cold once I'd got going.

OK, now my 3rd NY res will be to drink more. I def don't drink enough non caffeineated beverages during the day. As for being caught short gul dar - try to find a bush in London when you need one!

Hi Cragchick - nice to find you here. I too feel a bit of a fraudster as I'm aiming for sub 3.30 but there just doesn't seem to be a sub 3.30 thread anywhere to be found!
  • Options
    carovet / craigchick - there's plenty of good advice on here, irrespective of the time goal and I don't want people to feel as though they're intimidated or a fraudster. I'd like this to be open to all if at all possible.
    Let's face it, 50% of finishers at the London marathon take over 4hrs so to be sailing close to 3h30 on either side means you're in the top half of the field.
  • Options

cavoret/craigchick - i'm also a member of your club! It will be my first marathon but hoping to do the best I can to get around 3:30.. i'm with no kids, am a good age and can fit training around work as i'm self-employed, so we shall see.

TBH I faded into the background on this forum a bit (although i'm no lurker - i've posted at least once!) as I thought 3:15 was a bit out of my depth. Been chatting away on sub-4 which is equally as good, although it's been good to flick back here once in a while as there's been a lot of good stuff to consider i.e MM - the stuff about heart rate and the Aussie carb load I found particularly interesting as a newbie.

Best of luck in the snow! 

• Options

Managed an easy 4 1/5 miles in snowy Swindon early this morning, very pretty, got the day off as well, so off to play in the snow with the kids.

• Options
    well rode into work on the bike this morning and had a great laugh but obviously it's thrown the schedule out.
    Liz, if you're online any thoughts? Conditions aren't great but I could tackle a session with my XC spikes or an old set of trainers without any probs or do I simply write today off?
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

How about running on the spot? Or running in circles around the office?

• Options
    'write the day off'? WIMP.
  • Options
    Race Jase wrote (see)

MTFU! Yeah I know, but I know what awaits me when I get home - snowman building with my eldest. Although she's gone to one of the few remaining open schools in Coventry she (and I!) will want to build a snowman when I get back.

mmmm it may be a later run tonight......

• Options

YOU BIG GIRLS BLOUSE!!!

Ooop North we have been running in snow and ice for nearly three weeks (actually, tis probably not just confined to the North) Get your XC trainers on and get the miles done. I ran at 8.30pm last night in 6 inches of snow. It wasn't enjoyable or fast but the miles got done.

Consider yourself told!!

• Options
    Keir Williams wrote (see)

How about running on the spot? Or running in circles around the office?

I could do a good hour on the way back home on the 'cross bike through the lanes and class it as X-training?
  • Options
    Sue C wrote (see)

YOU BIG GIRLS BLOUSE!!!

Ooop North we have been running in snow and ice for nearly three weeks (actually, tis probably not just confined to the North) Get your XC trainers on and get the miles done. I ran at 8.30pm last night in 6 inches of snow. It wasn't enjoyable or fast but the miles got done.

Consider yourself told!!

LMAO!!!! image John Hosie has e-mailed me regarding doing a club session tonight so I may take that option.
  • Options
    Race Jase wrote (see)

wait a minute sunshine, on Facebook earlier you were telling me to careful now you're telling me I'm a WIMP? image

Looks like I've got an evening of snowman building and/or this when I get back home:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs159.snc3/18674_269131578293_755703293_4532975_5650623_n.jpg

That's our neighbour pulling her son and jnr snr at the back so I guess sledging is called for?
  • Options
    Looks like that where I live MM. I have just dropped my son off at his mates and left them lying in the snow taking it in turns to shovel further snow on top of each other. Weirdos.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting question on whether to train through the adverse conditions.  I found running 14 miles through fresh snow today to be hard work.   It was a lot harder on the legs than normal running.  So would it have been better to can the run, run on the road were the snow was less thick or to check out the treadmill in the gym?  When I ran in similar conditions 2 weeks ago I found I developed niggles in an area on the insode of the lower thigh - thankfully they went away after a couple of days.  So what is the best advice? 
  • Options

Was out for an hour this morning running through virgin snow in the woods. Hard on the legs, but great for the soul. My advice - if there's anyway you can get off road for some running, do it!! image

Having said that I'm now sitting here working (trains cancelled blah blah) while the rest of the family are out sledging. Hoping to take a break for some snowman building later on.

• Options
    Went out on a Club run last night in the snow with XC shoes on. We eventually went off road and did some loops around a local park. With the snow everywhere we could see where we were going and there was no nasty ice! Although it was a slow pace, it was still another 6 miles in the bag and very enjoyable as well.

Got 2 XC races on Sat & Sun this weekend so I hope the snow has thawed a bit by then.

MM - have you had any nutritional advice yet on what to eat & when etc? Would be interested to find out.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi MM

Popping in as suggested to read the bits about hydration. Cheers fella. Is four pints about right then during the day? Does coffee and tea count (my guilty pleasure, well one of many anyway!) or is it just a  negative given the caffine?

In answer to the height queries I can confirm that MM is indeed a giant ..well at least compared to the rest of us Supersix hobbits! 

I'm totally with you re "driving to work" by the way. I work five miles from home yet nearly always cycle (including today image) as it is quicker and infinately more enjoyable. Definately start the day with a better mindset by cycling.

• Options
    I can't see a problem running off-road in the snow, although running laps round a field can be a bit monotonous. Yes, it's harder work, but I would have thought that would be beneficial. I've been running on a near-by field for over 2 weeks now and can highly recommend it. I've had to revise my estimation of the perimeter of my running field from 800 to 750m, otherwise my 26 laps in 1:25 on Tuesday would have been a phenomenal run for me even if I didn't take into account the running surface.
  • Options

Hi MM,

Im your fellow shortlister and Im really excited that your trying to push the 3:15 barrier as that is what I would love to achieve. Sorry Ive not been on to show my support for a while but Christmas is a time for me to stay away from the computer, being an IT teacher, It's a well needed break.

Ive subsrcibed to the RW marathon schedule email and downloaded the training plan to my garmin. First 2 days, so far so good. You seem to have similar times to myself, your slightly faster but your aims are similar to mine.

Ive always sped up year by year for the past 5 years but its only since joining my local running club in Sep 09 where I have began to seen massive improvements due to great sessions and a great coach.

Matchstick Man wrote (see)

My PB's from this year:
    5k - 18m38s
    10k - 39m31s
    Half Marathon - 87m21s
    Marathon - 3h19m14s

My PB's so far have all been achieved in the last year apart from the marathon which was FLM 08:

5k: 20:30

10k: 39:50 (achieved 27th Dec in Ribble Valley 10k which was quite undulating)

Half Marathon: 1:33:22 (but had a few minor obstacles such as subways and runaway bottles)

Marathon: 3:32 (which wasnt with a fully adhered to training plan)

My resolutions this year were to have a sub 40 10k(now revised to 39), sub 1:30 HM and a 3:20 marathon. But, looking at many of the race time predictors, I think I should be able to achieve a 3:15 so will be following you very carefully. Good luck with everything.

• Options

Hi all - I'm looking for some advice, VLM10 will be my first ever marathon and I've only ever run one other competitive race and that was a half marathon in October, I ran 1hr 32mins and have downloaded the 3:30 schedule to my Garmin. My problem is that it feels a bit slow on the easy and slow runs as I've been running for the last 6-9 months at about 8min mile pace (depending on aches and pains) over 5 to 16 mile distances, that's the furthest I've run to date.

After reading loads of articles and forums and anything I can get my hands on I don't want to overtrain or burn out before the marathon but I don't want to undertrain either. I'm tempted to download the 3:15 schedule but am I setting my expectations too high then? I dread the thought of dragging myself over the line in 4:30 as I totally burnt out at 20 miles. Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received. I've got four races booked in between now and VLM of 8 miles, 10 miles, half marathon and 20 miles.

Incidently, loads of snow here too but I'm going to try and do a slow 5 miler later today....

• Options

With regards this snow, until my coach said the session were still on, I was always unsure. Everyone you speak to thinks your mad for doing it but especially in this fresh snow, its great and quite invogorating to run in. Imaging the VLM in snow!!! I know, I'm taking it too far there, sorry!

Would be interested MM to see what Liz has to say about what distances we should be training upto and when as in the RW sub 3:15 guide, Im sure it says there is a 22 miler in there. I'm planning on doing a 20 miler towards the end of March in Lancaster after a few half marathons.