Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Andy (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    EP: I'll check the dates. I think there are a couple of Goring area runs. I'm probably only going to do the one in Jan as by Feb my longer runs (on the schedule) are probably going to be need to be more than 6m/10k. Yikes! We'll see though, no decisions required yet. 
  • Options

Hi Andy - well done on the Super six. I too am aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon for my first time. I didn't get into London so I'm doing Edinburgh instead which means I'll be about a month behind you on the schedule - don't scare me too much.

I have to admit I tend to run on Christmas day when my OH is at his kids house - then I don't feel too bad about the amount I eat later.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Day one of this weeks plan completed. A simple, albeit maniac paced, 5k run on the treadmill down my local gym. It's just been taken over by "NuYuu" (new chain) and had a team of decorators painting it while I ran. Kinda of sums up treadmill running to me "its like watching paint dry". Only ran in the gym because of the ice. In my rush to get back to the office I skidded off my bike. No irony there then?image

Anyway did 5k in 19:38 (best 19:26) including following splits

Mile 1 6.31

Mile 2  6.15

Mile 3  6.17

Two thoughts of the day:

Firstly, I can do a 19:26 5k on a treadmill yet my outside pb is 21.38  (this summer). Now of course the outside run is not pancake flat but still why such a big difference? It's still my same hobbit sized legs doing the running!

Secondly, I came off my bike today while riding through the slush to get back to work on time. Don't get me wrong my boss is ok but its like a company ethos that it is frowned on if people are a little late back from lunch despite using the time to do something healthy (running, spin class etc). However if you smoke you are allowed as many "fag" breaks during the day in addition to your lunch hour. Go figure that? image

Yes I am riled of Berkshire today. Blxxdy weather.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    FionaJ: welcome to the thread. I'm not always this angry (see post above) honest! Hope you pick up some useful tips along the way. I'm sure with Steve the coach on board, and the rest of the forum, we'll all hit our goals. I hear Edinburgh is a pretty fast course. Who knows you could set a quality PB there. Anyway welcome and best of luck with the training. image
  • Options
    Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Hey Andy - hope there were no injuries when you came off the bike?

My run will be on the treadmill later today, I don't mind it, just put my music on and off I go ... try to use it as a bit of 'me time' !  Would love to do a 21min 5K maybe I should work on my speed a bit more ... currently 24 mins on a TM, have never done an outside 5k, unless you count a race for life that I did a few years ago, that got me back into this running malarky!

Bye for now

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Cheers Ang12 , no injuries except to my pride. In truth I did it in front of a bunch of kids. They all just laughed. I don't know the "yoof of today!"

My trouble is pacing myself. My treadmill 5K time is pretty good. Its actually only 20 seconds off  a pb my mate can do who has done a 1h27 HM. The difference is he maintains the pace (duracell bunny style) whereas I just fade off miserably (like one of those crxppy set of cheapo batteries you get in £1 shops!). 

Anyway enjoy your run today. You've inspired me to get out on boxing day as well.

Bye for now

• Options

Andy - congrats on your Super-Six place. Of all the entrants in all the categories you were the only vote I cast, as you seem to be in a similar situation to myself i.e. relatively new to running, young family, busy job etc... so really keen to follow the thread from a work/life balance perspective.

I'm not training for  a marathon myself, though have set myself a target of doing one before I'm 30 (2012) - going to try for my first half marathon in 2010 - Looking forward to following your journey - good luck with it!

• Options

Hi Andy

I hope your experience with the Super Six goes well. I dipped under 4 hours for my first marathon in Dublin in October but didn't have the controlled race I had hoped/planned for. Although I was unsuccessful in the VLM ballot I won a place for London 2010 via the RW website (and a year's supply of deodorant!!!). Hopefully I can learn from your experience as a Super sixer and use it to run a good race.

Onwards and upwards

KR 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Fat Teague and King Rich: Cheers for your support guys. Keep checking in and contributing.

FT: I've got make this work with two young kids and a wife whose looking to do Reading HM for the first time in march also. Short of strapping the kids to our backs this is going to take some juggling. Stay tuned to see how i get on. It will surely help you when you go for your first M. Basically you can learn from my mistakes and be better prepared!

KingRich: Right your staying on this thread. No arguments. What you achieved in Dublin is my goal so i need your help fella. Well done on winning a place in VLM also.

• Options

Excellent 5k run on the treadmill Andy.

Treadmill is slightly different style of running - treadmill does some of the work for you and slightly easy to pace it and no wind and hills or distractions in other runners.

However, I have no doubt if you get the right conditions, are in good shape, and pace it correctly and the course is fast you will be well inside 20 minutes.

• Options
    Hi Andy and this looks like a great thread to follow! I am doing VLM in 2010 so really interested in what everyone has to say. I am pretty injury prone (calf muscles) so am doing the following which I hope will minimise the risk of injury whilst getting some quality runs in. I see that you are using the treadmill as well so what do you think of my running plan? Should I change anything?

Monday - Recovery run on the treadmill of about 3 miles.
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Tempo run with the running club of about 6-7 miles.
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Speedwork or hill work and alternate between outdoors and treadmill.
    Saturday - Cross train
    Sunday - Long run.

I will also be doing weights and having massages every 3 weeks or so.

I doubt if I will go under 4:00 but I want to train as if I might!
  • Options
    Ok Andy, I'm in for the duration. Anyhow, have you seen the number of posts to the <4 hour VLM thread. It'll take me the next four months just to catch up on the 17,000 messages!

I'll do you a deal. I'll let you know how I got through the training and race for my first marathon if you let me know any expert tips you get from the Super Six experience.

I also have the joys of juggling training with two young kids. My wife is also having a big operation in February which will make finding time to train even harder.

KR
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    KingRich: Good lad. It's a deal.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Coach Steve: Cheers Steve, would love one day to be able to do a sub 20 min outdoor 5k. Who knows maybe this summer if VLM training goes well.   
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

David Pearce 10: Welcome to the thread fella stick around.

Look, as a relative newbee to running and a marathon first timer ,its probably wrong for me to pass comment in detail. There are others reading this thread who are much better qualified to do this. This said it seems very similar to the RW Garmin Sub 4 thread I'll be following ie one long run at weekend, five overall with a mix of speed, tempo and recovery. Based on my schedule (written by experts) it appears the key is the gradual build up of the long run at the weekend. I'd suggest following the sub 4 schedule like me and see how it goes. It may mean taking it easier than you could in the first few weeks but I'm told this will help to prevent injuries nearerthe  VLM.

Forumites and Steve:  What do you think of David's plan?

David: Finally I'll be posting a blog later today (hopefully) about dynamic stretching. I too have had real calf probs in the last three months. Liz Yelling, no less, showed the supersix some stretch techniques at our meet and greet day which, having implemented, have remarkably improved my recovery post run. Check in later today and i'll reveal all.  

• Options

Hi chaps

Re: David's plan... AndyV sounds like sound advice to me.

From my viewpoint as a novice runner, I think training is whatever suits you best. I'm certainly gonna refer to the sub4 plan as my base document but am secretly hoping to run a little faster if things go well. As such I may refer to some slightly faster training plans to see what they're saying and may interchange some of the target times and aspects a little. Amongst other things I may run a series of 5M races for speedwork and will join a running club, so things are subject to change. I think what i'm saying is there's nothing wrong with flexibility although you should have some key targets to hit and refer to so the progression and discipline is there. AndyV as you say the key is to keep building the long runs steadily.

AndyV - will look forward to the stretching tips later.

Cheers

Jon

p.s roads and paths look slightly better today around where I am, so I think i'm off for a run.

• Options

david's training look's solid to me.

The schedules are guideines and you need to work lifestyle, race aims, niggles, health issues etc around them.

The more people who follow something similar though will build a sense of community and give a comparison and motivation to help everyone improve.

Over the years I have not been a great stretcher but I am making more effort now with stretches when I go to the gym and I do believe it does aid recovery, helps lengthen stride, and helps the fight against injury though there is a lot of conflicting evidence to its true worth.

• Options
    AndyV wrote (see)

However if you smoke you are allowed as many "fag" breaks during the day in addition to your lunch hour. Go figure that? image

Our company once issued a memorandum that smokers were allowed two 10 min breaks one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  So us non smokers asked for the time to be accrued as additional holiday, an extra day off every 4.5 weeks or so.  Memorandum was soon withdrawn...... but the smokers still smoke image.

AndyV, Watch yourself in these conditions, no point crocking yourself before you start in earnest!!

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Lamkjo:  Enjoy your run today. I planned to do an outside run today but no chance. I live in Newbury, which for those who don't know, is sort of between Reading and Basingstoke. Unusually it looks like my region has taken the brunt of the recent snow. Its sunny today so fingers crossed it might thaw out over the next few days. Looks like another treadmill day followed by a run (hopefully outside) on xmas eve.  

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Windy: Welcome to the thread and yes....wise words. Have to admit I cycled into work this morning (4m) which was not the safest option but took it slow and had a right laugh doing it.
  • Options
    I run off road when it's been snowing. Fresh snow is fairly grippy. In fact ......................................................................................I've gone image
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi All

Before the Lucozade meet and greet my pre run preparation consisted of just a few static leg stretches I sort of learned from playing very social rugby for the last 20 years. I would then run (do a few stretches at the end) and then spend the rest of the day aching. If I sat down for more then 10 mins my legs then felt like they had seized up and I would limp around the office until they came back to life again. I'm 34 I walked liked I was about 84! I just thought that this was the lot of the average joe runner.

However at the Lucozade Six meet and greet earlier this month Liz Yelling introduced me to dynamic stretching.  The aim of these (I think) is to increase the heart rate and to gently "introduce" your body to the set of movements required in running. I think the science bit is that they release something called synoval (not sure on spelling here) fluid to the joints thus lessening the impact of the subsequent run. Rather than waffle on take a look at the following weblink i found on google which better explains it and shows video examples:

http://www.momentumsports.co.uk/TtDynamicStretches.asp

Now I'll be honest I felt abit of a pxllock doing these for the first time. We did the session in the royal parks next to Buckingham palace (loads of watching tourists!) but for me they work. My routine now is:

Short gentle jog (c400m)

All the stretches shown (plus one which Liz showed us which is good for preventing stitches - Raise up on tip toes, arms stretched to sky while inhaling and then lower arms exhaling and feet back down- all about the diaphram apparently)

Run

Static stretches  

Since the meet and greet I've been on about 10 runs i guess (up to 8miles). Maybe I've been lucky but I have not had even a twitch and have been able to comfortably run on consecutive days. No limping, nothing. Dynamic stretching is the only thing I've done differently and for me it clearly works. Time wise It also doesn't take very long to do.   

All I would say is if you haven't done them before give them ago (after a short warm up run). I am very much a newbee to running so this might not work for everyone, and there are people on this thread who are much better qualifed to advise, but ..hey nothing to lose in trying them is there.

LamKjo: the calf step backs have made a massive difference to me. Give'em a try mate

DONT FORGET THE SHORT WARM UP RUN FIRST THOUGH!

Bye for now

AndyV

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the snow Fat Face... you daft bxggerimage
  • Options
    Lucky bugger.  Swap you for a run around Morrisions?
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Supermarkets at chrimbo are evil. no chance Hash. Enjoy your afternoonimage
  • Options

...........................................................................................back image

Now that was fun.

Loads of squirrels, a few rabbits and 2 startled monkjack deers. Oh and a bit of snow as well.

It's great this thread. It's like been coached by Steve 2 years running.

• Options

Hey Andy - as many others, I've been keeping an eye on the Super Six Forums for a while now. I just thought I'd leave it until the debate heats up a bit (unlike the weather...) until I say Hello. I've done 2 marathons so far (4.14 and 4.13) and would really love to be able to run a 4 hours for my first London one. I've been lucky enugh to get a ballot place 3rd time trying, so I guess I'll give it all and beyond! Keep in touch!

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

sounds like a good run there Fatface. Where did you run? Marwell Zoo?