Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Andy (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Lamkjo: Lets be clear mate. You've not "pinched the thread" your making very valid contributions. That's what this is all about. If your thinking it you can bet your bottom dollar other sub 4 wannabes are also. Keep them coming. I've thought about this also as in prep for Reading HM I covered the distance twice in training in the weeks before. Basically to give me the confidence to know I could do the distance.

Sounds like for mortal runners doing this for a marathon (in under 4) might be detrimental. Hence the schedule topping out at 20-22m.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Coach Steve: Speed point noted. That really shocked me when you said I was going faster than you would choose to do even though you do marathons in 2:45! I think keeping slow is going to be my biggest challenge over the first few weeks. As a very inexperienced runner it just seems so unnatural to hold back but of course I know you must be right.  I guess the Garmin should be able to help me here. Should I have it set to show pace? any thoughts on using the virtual partner mode? Is it any good? 
  • Options
    Andy - The ITB (Iliotibial band) is a piece of tissue that goes from the hip to below the knee on the outside of the leg with its role to stabilise the knee during running. It can get inflamed by rubbing on the lower end of the femur. When I first experienced ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome) I had an intense pain a couple of inches above the outside of the knee which came on after about 5km. After treatment and rest I eventually got back to running. This is an overuse injury - too fast, too far, too soon. Some of the stretches you have learnt would probably be appropriate to help prevent ITBS. My physio also said that improving core stability was also vital.

Basically, I can always feel a tightness in that area so it requires extra care.

Anyhow, I'm pretty much made of glass. I had my knee rebuilt two years ago after rupturing my anterior cruciate ligament playing basketball and have had odd niggles since taking up running. The trouble is my competitive nature takes over even when I feel the start of a problem and have to complete a run. Message to self: Listen to my body.
  • Options

Andy - wow, fast time for a training 10k..but I seem to remember that when I got my Garmin 305 I became slightly obsessed with pace and doing everything as fast as possible - it's taken me 2 years to stop looking at it so much, but I still like it bleeping to tell me if I'm going to fast or too slow (usually the latter).

The virtual runner is great, but again it requires you to look at the watch, whereas I suspect it's more useful to listen to your body (and the bleeping).

KingRich - I can really sympathise with the 'listen to your body' message.  I got some knee pain (not ITB but similar) in the summer and rested for a few weeks, thought I was Ok until I did a half marathon race and blew up after 4m.  Instead of pulling out and saving myself for later, I struggled on, had a painful run and took myself out of most of the autumn.  Rubbish!

I've given myself most of december off, and have just been out for a gentle 6m, as the start of my training for Paris Marathon.  Only 15 weeks to go!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

50 miles per week - I think maybe I have only clocked this distance once or twice A normal week is about 30 / 35. Which does bring me to a slight concern - currently I run 4 times a week, a general breakdown of this is;

Tuesday - Club run which is 3 miles by myself (7.45 / 8m/m) to meeting point, then 5 miles with club  (9.30/10m/m) & then back home again 3 miles (8.30m/m)

Thursday - Repeat of Tuesday.

Saturday - parkrun (normally 22.30) plus warm up & cool down

Sunday - Long run / race day - can be 10Km race, 10 mile race, HM race or if not then 10 mile LSR or if in training LSR of 18, 20 & 22 mile.

(I am a bit of a race fan - 50% social & 50% racing but getting better at not racing every event).

The concern is that this looks completely different to the Garmin schedule - any advice / comments.

Andy - Rightly or wrongly I`m getting into the habbit of not looking at my Garmin (305) during runs except for when it `beeps` at either the Km or the mile markers, as not only I do use that to gauge my speed but also to remind myself on some running focuses - I`ve startred to introduce Chi running approach into my running so the `beeps` come in handy.

• Options
    Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to hear that you don't need to be running 50+ miles a week, he suggested this up to christmas, and then build up to 70/80 miles a week !!  Maybe he had me mixed up with someone else!! I certainly would struggle with finding the time to do this kind of running!

Sounds like there has been some good running over christmas, I didn't go for the club run yesterday morning, but had a session on the treadmill in the afternoon and plan another later today.

Enjoy the bank holiday!

• Options

Mr Krimbo

Yes, you need to vary your training a bit  - the club runs look to slow for your ability as you are running 2 minutes a mile faster to get there.

Most people would do it the other way around - ie 9 min miles to warm up on way there and then 7 minutes on session, and then 9 minute miles back!

I would possibly suggest one one of these clubrun sessions you need to put the speedwork in - you could start with the pack and then do the 5 mile run, say as 5 x a mile. run hard for 7 minutes, stop for 2 minutes so they catch you and then go again!

The long run is there though when you aren't racing but you may need to cut the Sunday racing down a bit and get some of your racing fix from the parkrun.

Andy

Re Garmin - I've never used the virtual partner and tend to go on how I feel but can see how beginners can't do that.  I have the Garmin on 3 screens and one of them is speed which I may glance at occasionally.

You will probably be to tired once you get into the schedule to run as fast as you are now!

I did a 10K today and was quite pleased with it considering didn't ease down and have been working on my speed this week having crammed rather too many speed sessions and a parkrun in the week

See we are already up to 150 plus posts on this thread and we aren't even officially starting the training for a week.

• Options
    151 posts now! Well done Andy-looks like you are going very well. Roll on 4th January!!
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

King Rich & Lake: gee I won't moan if I get a slight niggle here and there. Hearing what trouble you guys have had recently puts things in perspective. The fact your still getting out there ...respect to you.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi All

Been tied up with family get togethers and general over indulgence over the last two days. Got back to Newbs late this afternoon and given the forecast for tomorrow (snow and lots of it) dumped the bags and kids (sorry wife!) and got out there. Only had time for a outdoor 5k but have to admit felt really good running despite a head cold.

Time 21:42  5K

Incl Mile Splits 6.54, 6.41,7.08 (uphill!)

I wanted to do a practice slow inteval run to get more used to the Garmin 405. As it was dark by the time I got out and had little time i just went for it. No strategy. 

Snow/Ice depending I really want/need to get a slow practice inteval session in. I fear I may have to resport to gym treadmill tedium though. We'll see......

1 week to Week 1 peeps! (does that make sense?) Roll on Jan 4th! 

• Options

At least this year people won't be asking if you've made any resolutions for the new year!

Fingers crossed we don't get snowed on again today, but if it has to do it then best it gets it out of the way before we start properly next week

• Options
    lake - the trouble with injuries is that it is really hard to decide what is for the best. Whilst training for Dublin I had a calf injury and tried to run through it which made it worse. I had physio treatment on it but I could still feel the injury. After resting for 4 weeks and the marathon looming I had to make a decision; accept that I should pull out of Dublin (I had raised substantial money for a local charity) or get training again and risk the injury getting worse (even though I could feel the calf problem).

I chose the marathon and I managed to ramp up the distance covered in my long runs relatively quickly. Maybe I was lucky but from that moment the training went to plan and I achieved my 'B' target. Not making the 'A' target had nothing to do with my injury history.

What I am trying to get at is that it really isn't easy to determine when you should and shouldn't run due to injury. I guess that, as a relative newby to running, this may come with experience.

Andy - I wouldn't worry too much about my injury problems. They are only minor niggles compared to what some people experience and they also aim to complete the marathon. Incidentally, how are you getting on with your 405? I've used one for nearly a year now. It's a great piece of kit.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

King Rich: re the 405 its a very impressive piece of kit. I've worked out most of its tricks but really need more road time with it. Fortunately the predicted heavy snow has not materialised at all just heavy rain all day here in Newbury. This should mean i can get out there and get used to the "bleeps" on an interval session this week in advance of 4th Jan. Fingers crossed anyway.

All Forumites: One thing I haven't tried yet is the virtual partner mode. Is it any good? Whats your experience with it?

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

EP: re cold 

Tell me about it. I've been a right sick note this winter. I think my kids pick'em up at pre-school and then pass them onto my wife and me. Though in fairness I shouldn't grumble as it seems to be only headcolds and nothing chesty. i'm just taking a lemsip and getting on with it. doesn't appear to be impacting on the running.

• Options

Interestingly, since starting running 'properly' a couple of years ago, I've taken great pleasure in watching others get colds etc, and not caught one myself....obviously tempting fate but I reckon it's down to those cold dark runs toughening the body.  Or something.

AndyV...the virtual partner is great if you are looking to 'race' against a previous run along the same route, with the intention of beating or keeping up with your previous time.  However, personally I find that 'challenging' myself to beat my previous training times is ultimately a bit demoralising as you simply can't train at max speed every time without killing yourself and getting p*issed off.  The time for max speed & effort (for me) is at a race, which I find, a usually unique experiences and hence not comparable to a previous run or race.

Have a play with the 405 to set up and run a set of intervals, using the bleeping to tell you when to start running hard & then stop and run gently.  The download later will show you how fast you went in each lap.  Personally, intervals are when I really work hard and put max effort in.

My tempo run, usually about 6/7 miles at max effort are either lovely (hence don't need virtual partner to assist motivation) or absolutely awful, (in which case nothing will help other than getting home quickly.) 

The only time I've ever used the virtual partner 'properly' is when I followed it to pace me for the first 10m of a local race (i.e. I followed the route at the correct pace the week earlier), and simply kept level with the virtual partner for the start of the race.  It worked well, stopped me going off too fast, but I havn't done that since as it was just lucky that that race was very local so I could use the route beforehand.

I think the 305 & 405 are like washing machines.....loads of different settings, features and spin cycles (?) but once you get used to a certain way of using it, you tend to forget everything else.  I suspect it's the same for virtual partner etc.

It's raining cats & dogs here, so I'm going to stay in tonight, and then venture out in the early morning for a buzz around.

kingRich - what did you finish Dublin in?

• Options

I tried the virtual partner (not deliberately - I couldn't figure out to switch it off) and it thrashed me - what made me laugh though was that when you stop (ie press the stop button) the little person on the screen stops too. Was good but I would be worried about keep looking at the watch all the time and then falling over....

Get that cold better Andy!!

• Options
    Lake - I finished Dublin in 3:58:45. I had an awful run from 10 miles onwards and have never experienced such physical and emotional turmoil as I experienced for the rest of the marathon. But, I was happy to complete the race in under 4 hours. This is my PB (ok, it's the only marathon I've run!).

This leads on nicely to commenting on the Virtual Partner. During the marathon I ran slightly faster than the speed of my LSR - pretty close to my target/virtual partner pace. At 10 miles I realised too late that I was putting in much more effort for the speed I was going (my heart rate was 10-15 bpm higher than normal). I guess the adrenaline of the race took me through the early stages but I struggled through half way in about 01:51 (12 minutes slower than a recent half marathon).

With hindsight there was something not quite right with me on the day. Theref0re, in my experience, it is more important to listen to your body (especially during a race) than stick with a pre-defined pace of your virtual partner. This is what I plan to do for London.

Andy, I hope the cold is OK. I'm suffering from the same due to my pesky kids passing on their bugs. Let's hope we're getting the ailments out of the way before April.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    KingRich:  At the back end of cold thanks. More annoying than anything else. Rather have it now than next week. well done on breaking 4 at Dublin by the way especially if you weren't at the top of your game that day.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi All

Back to work today image it goes so quick doesn't it!

Fitted in a cheeky treadmill 5K at lunch. Took it easy gradually increasing the pace.

Time 23:30

Inc mile splits of:

Mile 1 8:02

Mile 2 7:34

Mile 3 6:54

With abit of luck I'm going to do a practice inteval session (outdoors) tommorrow. I'll pick one from week 2 or 3. Main aim is to get used to using Garmin (understanding the beeps) and practice running at a slow pace. not long now peeps before week 1 starts (Jan 4th) 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    forgot to ask:   Can anyone tell me how I show someone else's message in my own post (see Evil Pixie's) at top of this page (9). I thought all i would need to do is copy and paste but this doesn't seem to work.
  • Options

Press the quote button at the bottom right hand bar underneath their message, then press the speech marks on the top right hand side of the top bar in the message you're typing in.

Glad the cold's better Andy - that's four out of six of us, what's going on???

• Options

Hope you had a good xmas. It sounds like the snow has been affecting everyone’s training!? I’ll look into my diary about the events you are attending and try to get to them as well. That would be the best time to hand over some product. Have you a chance to try the gels and powders?

Yeah Maidenhead play in purple and black. I remember playing Newbury in a few league games. I’m going to have to agree with lamkjo about Prison Break being worth watching. I’m thinking about giving Hero’s a go as well?

• Options
    Oh yeah and apologies for the lack of photo. I'm having trouble uploading one!
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Hashette:
    Hashette wrote (see)

Press the quote button at the bottom right hand bar underneath their message, then press the speech marks on the top right hand side of the top bar in the message you're typing in.

Glad the cold's better Andy - that's four out of six of us, what's going on???

Woo hay. Cheers Hash, you certainly know your way around a forum. Ta.
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi EP

Not seen the mag yet. Hopefully it will arrive in the post tommorrow.

I seem to be a relative treaddie demon even if they are tedious. That said for me it doesn't compare to an outdoor run which is much more challenging (hence the much slower times in my case) 

Have a great new year and best of luck for the big one (and life generally) next year.