Options

2010 - 1000 miles

Comments

• Options
    A cheeky little 3 miler tonight to get me to 902 miles.

Just been checking out www.ultramarathonrunning.com. Apparantly, the weekend should include two long runs in the weeks leading up to an ultra. I'm going to try 12 miles on Friday and 20 miles on Saturday. Sunday will be spent watching cricket at Scarborough, hopefully in blazing sunshine, wearing sandles and a few nice pints of Tetleys.
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Another easy 3 miles tonight. Felt really good tonight, nice and easy, had a good stride out over the last few hundred metres. Can't wait till Thursday now, if i come through that 3 miler ok then i am going to start gradually increasing things and look towards a race later in the year. Its soooooooo good to be back...image
  • Options

That's great news JR. Which race are you thinking of?

Richard, I admire your ultra running ambition. I have a book written by a chap that ran the Coat to Coast trail. He listed his calories and mileage for each day. Unfortunately I don't have the book with me as I lent it to another ultra running friend, but it's called, Life on the Run should you wish to get yourself a copy. It's informative as well as being rather amusing.

I did 6 miles last night. Started off feeling lethargic but gradually got quicker and easier. I like runs like that.

Total is now - 683.95 miles.

• Options

Small, cheers for the book recommendation, been on Amazon and ordered, I'll let you know what I think. The best running book I've read is feet in the clouds, definetely worth a read, I also enjoyed the looniness of the long fistance runner.

• Options

You're welcome Richard. I hope you find it as informative and as inspirational as I did.

I have yet to read feet in the clouds. Must get myself a copy soon.

7.23 miles done this morning. Total = 691.18 miles.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Hi Small, i'm thinking about the Dartmore Vale 10k, not sure i'll be ready for the marathon! Had another 3 mile run tonight, first run in my new shoes. Got some motion control shoes to try and deal with my rolling ankle. I wear custom orthotics and have been wearing cushioned shoes with them successfully for a few years now but after my recent injury they don't seem to be offering me much if any support. The change of shoes seems to have made a pretty big difference although time will tell. My ankle feels much more stable, although the ride feels a fair bit harder (this did get better after the first mile or so). Really quite pleased with tonights run, my form seems to be improving every time i go out. Looking forward to my runs again now as i am less worried about my ankle giving out and enjoying the scenery on my routes again. Small, your total is coming along nicely now, nicely heading towards that 1000 mile target. i think i will take a look at one of those books in the near future, once i have finished the runners world book.
  • Options

Nice to hear you sounding so positive about your running again JR.  Good luck with the new shoes, really hope they work out for you.

I am hoping to do the Dartmoor Vale half marathon! image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Another steady 3 miles this morning. My new shoes are so firm! My right foot was hurting quite a bit for the first mile or so but settled down and was fine for the rest of the run. Really took it steady today, making sure the run was easy but still clocked 9:59, 10:00 and 9:09. Ok, i picked up the pace a little over the lasy half mile but felt really comfortable. Didn't extend myself at all and my running form is improving with each run. My achilles has been aching a little (not really pain) but then i have been wearing flip flops all day, which always make me ache a little. Nice gentle couple of miles on Tuesday i think and then i will try to start building to a proper schedule again, very slowly! 
  • Options
    Only 2 runs again this week was hoping to do more but hey ho.

Did a hills training session with my running club yesterday and think I may have stretched a muscle or two a little too much and now in a bit of pain, hopefully shouldn't keep me out for much more than a day or so
  • Options

6.25 miles on Friday in the rain. Really didn't feel that good. No long run yesterday as I just couldn't face it, so another low mileage week for me.

Total - 697.43 miles

Hope this week is good for us all, running as well as weather wise, I've had enough of the rain now thank you....

• Options

Lots of good running still going on then!!

Back a few days from Menorca, ran every morning there, longest run being 7 miles. Most runs were barefoot on the beach followed by a swim at about 7 in the morning to avoid the heat. Really enjoyable and back to reality, got soaked out running this morning and then back to work this afternoon.

I'm reading Born to Run at the minute, only about 50 pages in but enjoying it.

Total now at 1199.64

Good luck WR 

• Options

Btw Richard, there's never a rush to enter the Belfast marathon, I don't think it ever fills up!! It's more of a relay with some people running the full distance. Expect relay runners to push past, the water is in little cups from standpipes and they start serving powerade at mile 16, once again in little cups. The main marathon sponser is Deep River Rock, a bottled water company and the first bottle of water you will see is at the finish!!

Sorry to dampen any enthusiam but that's the way it is, see you at the start - i'll have my camelbak on again this year!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Yet another 3 mile run tonight after work. My ankle was aching a bit today but got better the further i went? New shoes feel shite and are going back to the shop image . My feet feel like they are slopping around in them and it looks like i need 1/2 size smaller than usual with asics. Good luck with your upcoming marathon WR and Richard.
  • Options

Thanks JR, only 7 weeks to go till Palma, need to get some more long runs in, just wish there were more hours in the day!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Shame we can't stop the clock for our long runs WR, that would be nice! Came home from work Thursday and decided to have a quick 30 minutes on the treadmill as an easy option after my ankle had ached on Tuesday. Did a quick warm up and a brisk 5 minute walk but just two minutes into my run i was hurting image. Stopped straight away, iced my achilles all evening and rested until today. Rather than have to stop on my normal run and walk home which would really piss me off i went on the treadmill again. Did a pretty good warm up, followed by a very easy 40 minute run with walk breaks every 10 minutes for 1 minute. Felt sooooo much better today! Really enjoyable run, could have gone on and on but didn't want to push my luck. I'm not a great fan of treadmills, i like the outdoors too much but i'm glad we have one at home now. No pot holes, no camber, no real impact, just whats needed sometimes when you have these little niggles.  
  • Options

Glad today's run was better for you JR.

I've had a 1 mile time trial and a 5 mile trail race this week as well as the usual running.

Just been for a LSR with friends. We were dropped off 13 miles from home and then ran back. Some of it on the Dartmoor Vale marathon route, so rather hilly in places. image

This week's total - 35.70 miles

2010 total = 733.13 

Have a good weekend all! image

• Options

August is proving to be a great running month for me. I'm enjoying the book 'Life on the Run', I walked the coast  to coast 22 years ago and was completely knackered, so can't imagine what it would be like to run it, those fell running people are truly remarkable.

I've broken my monthly running record 172 miles and still a day to go, The 1000 mile marker is only 4.5 miles away, hoping to get out tomorrow and nail it.

I can relate to the achilles problem, I have a bit of tendonitis and tend to try and stretch but it does still cause a bit of an ache with the mileage, nothing to deter the running though.

• Options

Hope the achilles is holding up JR, the weather really is great this week and had a very enjoyable 10.5 miler today. Hope you enjoyed passing the 1000 mile mark today Richard!!

August : 169.04

Year : 1252.84

Good luck WR 

• Options
    YIPPEE!!! that's a journey I wasn't sure I'd complete in January. 1000.93 miles done by the end of August.

I must say signing up to this thread has given me a tremendous impetus to keep going. This month I've covered 177 miles and that was mainly due to the fact I made a committment to reach the wonderous 1000 this month.

Keep going everyone.
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Achilles seems to be holding up WR. Nice steady 3 miles on the treadmill tonight. Going to do this weeks runs on the treadmill before starting a proper training schedule next week. Have a 5 mile local race pencilled in for November. Don't see any point in rushing things or pushing it, just going to take it slow and gradually get myself back to fitness.

Well done Richard, great stuff, i'm very envious of you 1000+ runners. Maybe next year!! Thats a huge monthly total!! Keep it going.

• Options

Well done Richard, great stuff!!

JR, 7 miles into a long run today I knew things weren't right, well they hadn't felt right for a couple of miles, sore legs and then my right achilles just seemed to tighten as I ran uphill. Stopped my run and walked, picking blackberries and eating them.

Thats the second time this has happened recently. I'm going to take tomorrow off (I normally run every day) and take it from there. I know I should be icing...etc but i'm in work now and by the time I get home I think i'll be having a couple of beers.

Hope your achilles holds up and you get back to racing in November.

Good luck WR 

• Options

When you say 1000 miles in 2010 do you mean in training or in actual races?

I don't keep much of a numbers record for miles covered in training but I do know that after Sundays marathon in Wolverhampton I'll have done almost 700 miles in competition. With another 4 months of the year left I may well reach 1000 miles.

• Options
    Wow, a thousand miles in racing!! Personally I add together all my mileage, training and racing - if I only counted competitions I would be at 52.4.
  • Options
    Congratulations Richard on reaching the 1000!
  • Options
    I try not to over-train in between my Marathons and Ultras and I usually log time on my feet and not distance covered but having said that I have done about 1,250 miles so far this year.
  • Options
    Near enough the same as me, i'm on 1259.3 - what's your mileage at now Badbark?
  • Options
    WR - I'm up to 1,363 miles and if I stick to my schedule will complete about 1940 miles by the end of the year. I thought about going for 2010 miles like you suggested but decided that my body will be better served with lower mileage for a few months after the Dublin marathon. Are you still hoping to reach 2010?
  • Options
    Still hoping to reach 2010, but have had a few problems ever since I did a lot of barefoot beach running on holiday. Think I am going to have to shelve the Palma marathon and go for the half instead. Have twice tried for a Lsr this week and had to knock it on the head both times.
    Hope the Dublin training is going well.
  • Options

Been off work for the last 2 days with a stinking cold, not quite man flu but not feeling great. Had enough today and went on the treadmill for an easy 3 miler. Felt surprisingly good throughout although i was sweating like a pig from start to finish. Persuaded myself its done me some good and i think it genuinely has. Pretty much a bummer of a head cold and not much on my chest so went for it. Added up my miles for this year and my total looks awful! Oh well, at least it only gets better, my ankle felt fantastic today, first run where i've not even paid any attention to it. Put my old trainers back on for the last couple of runs and although i'm aware they need replacing they feel super! No more asics for me i'm afraid, its Saucony all the way!

2010 Total: 180.56

• Options
    Good for you JR, I wear sauconys and i'd far rather have them. I used to wear Asics but they got too technical and supportive for me.