Options

2010 - 1000 miles

Comments

• Options
    Did the Great Yorkshire 10k today, managed a new pb (42.53) knocking 3 minutes off my previous best. It's a good event but the 'great' series are an incredible price. It was £28 and some poor organisation. My number didn't arrive till Friday and at the end I got a voucher for my medal, I'm not that bothered about a medal, but I suspect if you're new to running it would be disappointing. Amazing, 7000 entered and only 5000 finished, hard to believe that people enter and don't run. Club 10ks cost a fraction of that price and the organisation tends to be exemplorary. Still, I'm also doing the Great North Run in 2 weeks.

Next week doing the Lyke Wake Walk as a run with a friend, 5000 metres of climbs and 39 miles. Hope it stays dryish this week.
  • Options

Thanks WR, i agree, running in my asics was like running in concrete. All support and no give. Bloody hell Richard , good luck with the Lyke Wake Run, sounds some trek! Congratulations on the pb, thats some improvement!

I did a nice slow 4.2 miles today around the country lanes. Couple of hills for the first time in a while. Really enjoyed it. Ankle feels fine but my knee was aching a little. Its fine when i'm moving but if i stop and run again its sometimes gives a sharp pain right in the front for a few paces before disappearing again. Feels fine again now though, just have to keep up the stretching.

TOTAL 184.76

• Options

Well done on your PB Richard. But £28 for a 10k?!  That's what it cost me to do the London marathon last year.  Good luck running the Walk.

Keep the stretching going JR, you're doing well.

WR, hope your Achilles improves soon.

I did 11 miles yesterday, only my third run of the week. My right calf is very tight today so will be stretching that a lot.

21 miles for me last week. Total  754.13

• Options

£28 for a 10k - that's daylight robbery, i'm suprised so many people entered.

No running this week for me, I fell down the stairs on saturday (was sober) and have bruised ribs/hip and right ankle. Painful to walk at the minute never mind run but at least I didn't break anything. Not feeling confident of being able to do the Palma marathon in 5 weeks and i'm a bit fed up because of that.image

Good luck with your ultra Richard!!image

• Options
    Yikes WR, you're not having much luck! Get well soon.
  • Options
    Thanks Badbark, a weeks break will hopefully recharge my legs!!
  • Options
    Ouch WR.

I reckon the rest from running will recharge your legs, you'll be flying once the bruises have healed.
  • Options
    Thanks Richard, but I am missing my running!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your fall WR. Hope you heal soon. I know how frustrating it can be not being able to run.
  • Options
    Thanks Small, i am starting to get grouchy - and it's only been 4 days since my last run.
  • Options

Total coming along nicely Small, know how you feel with your calves, spent most of the day at work leaning against a wall! Get well soon WR, know exactly how you feel not being able to run!

Nice easy 3 miles tonight along the canal trail. Hamstring a little tight tonight but had a good stretch afterwards and feel good now. Signed up to a weight loss charity competition at work today, lasts for 10 weeks, £1 per person entry per week and the person who loses the largest percentage of body weight gets to donate all monies raised to their charity of choice. I have piled on a few pounds during the last few months with my running schedule being ruined this year. I weighed in at 14st 13lb (fully clothed with work boots!) and I managed to have my weigh in late afternoon, knowing that woud give me a couple of pounds head start and drank about 6 cups of water just before i got on the scales too. Wish me luck!

TOTAL 187.75

• Options
    Good luck JR, hope you enjoyed your run tonight, i'm hoping to try a 2/3 mile shuffle on thursday!!
  • Options

Thanks WR, just finished another great run. Short tempo run tonight and the faster i went the better i felt. Hope your shuffle went ahead as planned WR!

TOTAL 191.4

• Options
    Shuffle didn't happen, just too sore and bruised. No running for 7 days now, the last time I went this long without running was May 1998 - that was due to a broken ankle!!
  • Options

Sorry to hear that WR. At least you are being sensible and resting, you will be back.  

Nice slow run this morning, around country lanes and hills. Was aiming for about 4.5 miles but the loop i did turned out to be just short of 4 miles. Spent the first 2 miles coughing up phlem, cold still hanging on for grim life but it did stop half way. Absolutely beautiful this morning, really fresh, sun out and didn't see a soul. Upped the pace for the last few minutes when it became apparent the run wasn't going to be as long as i hoped but feel pretty chuffed as i had no pain anywhere today! My ankle and knee both felt fine and there were a couple of lung busting hills even on this short loop. Big confidence booster! Should pass the 200 mile mark at last on Thursday if all goes to plan!

TOTAL 195.23

• Options
    WR, Hoping your weekend without running hasn't been too frustrating. JR, good to hear your progressing well.

I ran/walked the Lyke Wake Walk today, 42 miles and 5000 feet of climbing. Ran for 9 hours. The weather was perfect, lots of autumn sunshine and a nice westerly breeze pushing us along. I consumed 5 litres of drink, but could have managed more, carrying the drink was heavy but the pack was nice and light for the last few miles. Food, well I brought lots of various cereal bars, energy gels and jelly beans, a bit sickly but effective. At the end of the run it was a big portion of fish and chips washed down by gallons of tea in Whitby. I think I might be walking down the stairs at work somewhat tentatively tomorrow.
  • Options
    That's a fantastic feat Richard, well done!
  • Options
    Something to be really proud of there Richard, that must give you some serous satisfaction!!!
  • Options

Brilliant Richard, hoping the weather held up and you enjoyed it!! You are now an ultra runner!!image

I also ran on sunday, but about 10 metres before the pain got unbearable. Went to physio yesterday and I have:

- A tear in my glutes

- A tear in my hamstring

- Bleeding and possibly a clot

So no running for 6-8 weeks, although I think i'll make it out sooner!! Any stuck now on 1263 miles for the year.

Good luck WR 

• Options
    Aw shit, I'm really sorry to hear that WR. Make sure to see a Doctor too.
  • Options
    Cheers Badbark, have managed some cycling. Just hoping to hold some fitness and come back for a spring marathon. Palma's marathon is going to become a nice weekend in Palma with the missus and san miguel!!
  • Options

Sorry to hear about your injuries WR, all the best with the recovery.

Went for a nice easy run tonight around the lanes and hills, and back along the canal. Lots of rain, a nice breeze, a couple of decent hills and cowshit filled Devon country lanes......can't beat it!!!

TOTAL = 198.65

• Options
    Cheers JR, i'm very jealous sounds like a great run.
  • Options
    WR that sounds drastic stuff. Hope you've got some good treatment lined up. The Palma trip should be a good antidote to your ailments. All the best with the recovery.
  • Options
    Cheers Richard, have you got the ultra bug?
  • Options

Fantastic achievement Richard! Well done.

Sorry to hear about your injuries WR. Is swimming an option? Hope you recover soon.

JR, sounds like a great run.

Thought me and the OH were going to get some grief from a van driver on a narrow lane 2 miles into our 12.25 miler yesterday. He'd passed us too quickly for the width of the road and had sprayed us with wet mud. OH stuck his 2 fingers up at him as he drove away and the bloke stopped and reversed back. image

Fortunately he was a nice guy and asked if we were ok. It ended in a civilised and very English shaking of hands and his apologies were excepted - phew!

Total now at 792.13

• Options
    I've been told I can swim small as long as I don't kick my legs. Going to get some cycling in, do my exercises and rest and then come back stronger!!image
  • Options

Total building nicely Small, glad to hear your meeting with 'white van man' ended peacefully, i'm used to being confronted with 4x4's and tractors these days and have become imune to stinging nettles as a result!

No run today but hoping to get up at 'stupid o'clock' (which i haven't done for about a year) to get my Thursday run done as i plan to spend the evening baking a cake (first time ever!) for my wifes 30th birthday on Saturday. (hopefully posting this will put a little pressure on me to get up!)

Had my weigh in at work for the 'diet challenge' and i have dropped 8lbs!!! I was a little late weighing in the first week (4pm) so you can probably knock a couple of pounds off as i weighed in first thing in the morning this week, but its a great start. I have been so strict, cycled to work every day (40 miles weekly total) had my three runs and not even looked at a bar of chocolate or packet of crisps. I am taking my wife and kids away for the weekend to celebrate her birthday so won't be losing any at the next weigh in! I am hoping for about a pound a week now to lose a stone in total over the ten weeks!

• Options
    Great result JR, 8lb in a week, what's your success - I can feel the weight piling on at the minute! Good luck baking a cake, never tried that.
  • Options

To be honest WR, weighing in during the afternoon was probably giving me an extra couple of lbs and i drank so much water before getting on the scales i felt physically sick! Plus being a fat bastard from the start helped! The cake came out absolutely great, although at approximately 1000 calories a slice wasn't going to aid my challenge to shed a few more pounds! Never mind, enjoyed the weekend away and still managed to get a run in on Sunday along the beach so will soon shift the extra pound or two the weekend will have no doubt brought about. Never ran along the beach before and bloody hell, was it hard work! Felt good though and the fresh sea air was a joy to breath in as i plodded along the sand.

Thurs 16th - 4 miles

Sunday 19th - 4.67 miles

TOTAL - 207.32