Options

IMUK/Bolton 2010 training thread

Comments

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Gosh - those look like fantastic times. I'm well impressed!

I'm looking hard at the cut-off times, which seem to be on the tight side in the Outlaw, and am concentrating on getting inside those.

At the moment I'm struggling to keep weight on, so I'll think seriously about your advice re new wheels - don't think I can splash out on a new bike at the moment.

Feeling tired today - feels a bit like overtraining, not that I'd know what it feels like. I suppose 3 x bikes to work (hour each way) and 3 swims on top of building marathon schedule might be taxing me a bit at this stage. Monday off, I think image.

• Options

Joddly that seems alot  of training at this stage i.e base period also what tempo are you doing these at? all you should be doing at the mo is laying the foundation for your endurance so you can start to safely build up the volume in a few weeks time

dont sweat about the times as I said just get the training in build your endurance and  speed will come naturally with this, you will be a lot fitter in 22 weeks time so if you are worrying about the cutoff now you should be well inside it by race day  you may even suprise yourself all i wanted to do was finish first time at the back of my mind I had 15 hours come race day I finished easily inside that aand although I was still shattered I think a lot of that was mental rather than physical never underestimate the mental and emotional element of driving yourself for 8 months of slog towards one goal and the release of acheiving itimage its NEARLY (MRS RBM may read this) up there with wedding day and kids being born NEARLYimage

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

You know how to get a girl excited, Max!

This week has been heavier than the previous ones. I'd got into the habit of over-scheduling training because I was missing so many sessions, but now the weather's picked up I've got too much planned. I'm not working hard on the bike, though, except when I'm late for things which has rather been the case recently. Swims feel very gentle, almost relaxing now, so it's really only the runs. Only 5 weeks until marathon taper, though, so then I can readjust the balance - I hope!

Healing thoughts to the poorly folks, and happy weekend training to the rest - watch out for those gales!

• Options

Bit blowy cycling home this evening  image. The worst type of wind......sudden fierce gusts that nearly blew me into the line of traffic image. Scary.

Anyway - I did my scheduled 1 hour 100+ rpm on gym bike with a transition run of 20 mins immediately afterwards.  Finding these 100 plus sessions a bit easier now. I am careful to keep in low gear and I assume that as I get fitter I'll be able to go up a gear and stay within same heart zone in these sessions?

But I have DOMs DOMs and more DOMs  from my 100 push up challenge session and crunches t'other day. Grief....every time I cough or laugh my ribs hurt ( from crunches) ...and now its painful lifting my arms! 

Rmax - I am in no rush to complete the push up challenge within the 6 weeks and will probably repeat each week.

Joddly - you sound like me with regards to weight - I eat tons but it just burns up!  I've no idea what my bike weighs but I'm only about 7 and half stone. Thats why I'm trying to build my core up.......feeble I am!

Nice to be home reasonable time tonight. Going to slob in front of TV and do nowt.  And eat

Hope Slim feels better soon

• Options

A few beers in front of the tv for me tonight gotta have a reward for all this training and chilllllllllllllimage

Ladyfe my arms and between my shoulderblades ached for weeks but they are getting there now

Weight wise I usually hover around 11 3/4 stone and amaze every one in the office by my pigging out capabilities but i usually trim down to 11 1/4 as training ramps up and eat even more! by race day my body fat is virtually zilch 

• Options
    while we're on the subject of time.....my aim is to take as long as i can till cut off to finish....after all..got to get my moneys worth...ironman is expensive....any more than 15 seconds to spare i'll be asking for money back
  • Options
    ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    jignog wrote (see)
    what is the average time it takes to finish an ironman? 13 hours? 14, 15 16?
    I have no idea but if you are going for your first forget anytimes your sole aim should be to toe the line on race day in one peice and go at a pace that ensures you do finish at some point before the cut off, you are then an ironman image if you are then daft enough to want to do it again, then look at times and actually racing the thingimage at least thats what I did 13:30ish first timer took it nice n steady, 2nd time pushed myself  11:50 ish quite a time differnce between the two hopefully whack that down a bit this year

I will back up what Max says, first goal is to get to the start line in shape to be able to finish, second goal is to finish and third goal is the time.

I had wanted a 13:30 for IMUK last year but had real problems with nutrition on the bike, the gatorade was strong and there was NO water at one of the stops, this caused me to cut down on what I was eating and drinking and I developed bad stomach cramps.

The bike was 30 mins slower than I wanted I then spent a while in T2 sorting myself out, the run then took me 5 hrs against the 3hrs 45 I should have done. After getting off the bike I knew I would finish even if it meant a 7hr walk!!.

There are numerous things that can go wrong on the day, dont get fixed up on a time

• Options

Morning all. Having a bit of down time this morning. I crashed out on the sofa last night midway through my leisurely doss and woke up freezing at 4.30. Crawled up to bed and slept till 8 which is late for me. Catching up with chores and tidying up ( zzzzz) but needs must I guess in the absence of a maidimage

Just basically a bit knackered from work this week.  The trouble with working late on top of an early start is that you just don't get time to eat properly and chill at the end of the day so its been a bit tough.

However.....feel more refreshed now. Will do bike ride later and finish off with swim but not going to push it.  Have decided to do the local Roding Valley Half Marathon in the morning. I might as well........cos part of the course is my usual running route so I'd only end up running with them anyway! . I can then do the adult only swim session at 3pm tomorrow afternoon which will be good for recovery if nothing else.  Will also concentrate on some more core exercises and stretching. I'm as flexible as a stick.

Nice to get a medal from my HM and feel 'rewarded'....even if I don't get a PB tomorrowimage

• Options
    ladyfe wrote (see)

Morning all. Having a bit of down time this morning. I crashed out on the sofa last night midway through my leisurely doss and woke up freezing at 4.30. Crawled up to bed and slept till 8 which is late for me. Catching up with chores and tidying up ( zzzzz) but needs must I guess in the absence of a maidimage

Just basically a bit knackered from work this week.  The trouble with working late on top of an early start is that you just don't get time to eat properly and chill at the end of the day so its been a bit tough.

However.....feel more refreshed now. Will do bike ride later and finish off with swim but not going to push it.  Have decided to do the local Roding Valley Half Marathon in the morning. I might as well........cos part of the course is my usual running route so I'd only end up running with them anyway! . I can then do the adult only swim session at 3pm tomorrow afternoon which will be good for recovery if nothing else.  Will also concentrate on some more core exercises and stretching. I'm as flexible as a stick.

Nice to get a medal from my HM and feel 'rewarded'....even if I don't get a PB tomorrowimage

Ladyfe - You may actually benefit more by doing NOTHING today, your body needs time to recover there are rest days in training programs for a reason, the event is still over 20 weeks away which is the length of most  IM distance plans, you will not lose any fitness by missing todays session BUT you could risk injury and burn out nearer to the event.
  • Options

JPenno- I heed what you are saying. I was careful today....my tiredness was due more to long hours at work rather than over-training.  I did hold back on training today.  I did a 45 min bike session on bike and kept heart rate low. I felt fine and could have done a lot more but chose not to. I then went for 40 min gentle swim afterwards.  It was more like active recovery. I actually feel a bit more energised now. Sometimes doing nowt makes me feel more lethargic. However I do know there are times when doing nothing is the sensible option. 

Now going to chill and relax completely.  TV rules tonight...although I'll bet theres nothing good on image

• Options
    1:15 run today felt so good I tacked on a bit more in the woods and ended up doing 2 hours also had a nice easy hour in the pool with youngest daughter we w orked on her stroke i did a few lenghts then she whacked out 40 lenghts  she enjoys the pool a bit more than I do 2 1/2 hours bike tomorrow morning some core /weights in the evening then into a well deserved cutback weekimage I am in a bit of a quandry I was supposed to be doing the Grizzly with a mate who has just binned it, I am now tempted to do the same as it doesnt really fit into my program and I am worried about picking up an injury thoughts anyone? also anyone doing it?
  • Options
    <<delurks>>

Come down and join in with the party and take the pressure off times ....  ??
  • Options

image Roding Valley Half in 2 hrs. Chucking it down. No sign of it stopping either image

*sulks*

• Options

soaking wet 2 1/2 hours riding around Bodmin Moor with some mates nice ride still hot shower and 2nd breakfast in a min

Meldy left it a bit late for accomadation so I wiil probs travel down on the morning and treat it as a long slow training run with fish n chips at the end image

• Options
    2 1/2 hour turbo in the garage - rather boring but just glad to be training again after my stomach bug.  image
  • Options
    Good news one of my other mates has stepped up and is taking my mates Grizzly place as long as I take it easy (no chance image) so game on again
  • Options
    RB ....   you may have to wait for us to finish before you have F&C !
  • Options

Well,  back from the Roding Valley Half which was pretty gruesome this year but managed to reduce my time by 3 mins to 1 hr 52.   It rained non-stop.   The route starts off at an Athletics club with a lap and a bit round the track. Then it leaves the track to go out on to the road. Trouble was, this bit was flooded image. So of course we were ankle deep in water right at the start! image.  We just got wetter and wetter and colder and colder - as you do when it rains. But glad I did it. image Just emerged from hot bath feeling not too bad at all. Its a pretty hilly route so its good to feel I have challenged myself - and to have overcome the feeling of not wanting to do it this morning!

Going to do some gentle active recovery on bike at gym in a couple of hours after I've filled the tum.

Rmax - I envy you your bike ride around the moors image. Sounds lovely ( even though it was a soggy ride for you image)

Slim - glad you are feeling better. Nothing like a stomach bug for bringing you down. It really annoys me when my keen students come into college saying they'd been up all night with v and d but they thought they'd "better come in" . No!  " Go away"  I want to yell. Get lost!  These bugs just spread like wild fire amongst students and teachers. I, of course, am only thinking of my other students and not at all of myself...image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Lafyfe - great show at Roding Valley image! Even turning up to race with the forecast as it was is v impressive.

Must confess that the bad weather never really materialised here today. I set off very cautiously (and well-dressed) for the second 20M of the VLM schedule, expecting to be fighting galeforce headwinds, but I've been out in much worse. (Yes, schedule says race 1/2mara but I couldn't find a convenient one, and like to start banking those 20s early). Made it round more slowly than last week, but more comfortably too, and that was after a long bike yesterday (slow 54M) and the end of a 20 hour training week. Day off tomorrow!

Not Grizzling next week - I'm not hard enough!

• Options

Back from the gym - did an hour on the bike. Cycling feels pleasant. Backs of the legs are stiffening up as I walkimage. Glad of a rest day tomorrow.

Joddly - well done on the 20 miler. I still have some to do so will be out next weekend. What part of England are you in then? I'm in SW Essex - bordering north/east London. Of course, as soon as I got home after the HM the rain stopped image

Just the name 'Grizzly'  makes me interested - I like anything that sounds 'ard!  I imagine you all out fighting with bears! image But not for me this year....

I'm also fascinated by the ToughGuy events  but I don't think my body could cope with the freezing cold.....not until I get some more muscle and fat on it!   Seriously - if I have to teach in a cold classroom my fingers go numb and white image...I feel really wimpy but can't help what my body does image. Bit of a pain really. Spirit willing but flesh is weak etc etc

Glad I didn't wear bright white shiny trainers today.....Interesting that in the race review one person was berating the organiser about the flood. Said she couldn't run.through it.....but everything else just literally just took the plunge and ran through it! No choice! Silly cow. Always someone to have a gripe. If I'd seen her I would have accidentally nudged her in....image

• Options
     No bike commute this week as my light has gone on the blink sending it back on a warranty job todayimage I do have spares but they are not man enough for dark back roads so its running or turbo this week, luckily its cutback week/taper for Grizzlyimage 
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

No biking here for a few days either as it's gone all icy again in the mornings - a shame, because by mid-morning it'll be lovely.

Rest day today.

Been reading the Cost of Triathlon thread - food for thought! I was enjoying it until the bit about Giant OCR2 weighing the same as a small planet..... mine's just an OCR - maybe that's only half a planet image.

Ladyfe - I'm near Aylesbury, definitely too far north for yesterday's stormy weather. Hope you've recovered well and your trainers have dried out! 

• Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Recovery day today.  Legs not too bad after yesterday's HM although hamstrings a bit achy.

This morning I revisited my 100 press-up challenge schedule. I didn't get very far with it last week due to really aching arms and shoulders. imageSo I did Week 1, Day 2 i.e a set of 6, 8, 6,6 then managed 12 till exhaustion.  Will maybe do this again on Weds then Day 3 on Fri.  Also did some squats and lunges. All good.

Joddly - lovely and sunny here today image ( although still pretty nippy). My trainers are still wet! Well they did get completely submerged many times yesterday !.  However, today I bought a new pair of running shoes as these were pretty well past their sell by date.  I do tend to wear mine till the very very last....... Looking forward to breaking them in tomorrow .

I wanted to put a photo on here of  the flooded start area but not sure how to do it....will have to explore this site a bit more image

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)

No biking here for a few days either as it's gone all icy again in the mornings - a shame, because by mid-morning it'll be lovely.

Rest day today.

Been reading the Cost of Triathlon thread - food for thought! I was enjoying it until the bit about Giant OCR2 weighing the same as a small planet..... mine's just an OCR - maybe that's only half a planet image.

Ladyfe - I'm near Aylesbury, definitely too far north for yesterday's stormy weather. Hope you've recovered well and your trainers have dried out! 

Joddly - the OCR's all weigh roughly the same it was the same frame on all of them, the OCR 1 had the best gears, wheels etc and these were lower spec as you moved down the range to the OCR4. I had the OCR 3 for two years before getting the Boardman
  • Options
    joddly wrote (see)

Rest day today.

Opps sorry Joddlyimage my post that nice strurdy bike the OCRimage certainly no heavier than my old Scott I started out on

LadyFe keep the press ups going you will be amazed at the improvement after the 6 weeks I feel much stronger in my top half now and can press 4 X 25 first thing in the morning no problems couldnt even manage 25 full stop when I started

Easy run today no cycling waiting for my light to be fixed by the way Hope get a chuck up for customer service I have no receipt could not even remember when I had brought it although it was under a year old " yep no problem send it back we will fix it no charge " good stuffimage

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

No worries , Max! I gather the Outlaw bike course is relatively flat anyway, so shouldn't make much difference.

I love my Hope front light. Cost a small fortune, but has enabled me to bike during the winter on dark country roads.

I did bike in today as it was such a lovely morning. A litlle hairy at times as there's still a fair bit of ice around, and difficult to see, but it was worth it. One stretch of road was closed ( for sorting out potholes), so I ended up with 5 or 6 miles of almost traffic-free, sunny conditions. Lovely image.

Do press ups make a difference to swimming?

• Options

Do press ups make a difference to swimming?

I have no idea but IMHO anything which ups your upper body and core strenght has got to surely be a plus?

• Options
    well i needed week off last week due to a pulled calf that i didn't know i had, which i'm sure i must have sustained at the HM. but anyway i got out for an hours run last night and that went well so i'm back on it.
    in a shameless plug i'd love it if you could check out my blog at http://andysironmanattempt.blogspot.com/ and follow it, i'll read any of yours if you follow and let me know.

i like to read blogs and doing one is quite therapeutic so i at least want a few people to read it...lol
  • Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Andy - I created a blog very recently on realbuzz.com. Here's the link

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/LadyFe/jenny-s-year-swimathon-virgin-london-marathon-and-ironmanuk-2010/
     its got my charity link on it as well. No money yet! But only just did it on Sunday eve.

I'll read yours if you read mine image. i agree with it being therapeutic