Options

IMUK/Bolton 2010 training thread

Comments

• Options
    Hi slim and RB. no i've not entered Bala, i'm doing Blenhiem (simply because i promised a friend i'd do it with him) and Liverpool OLY (simply because its 1 year after my first and i promised myself i'd do the oly there after i'd finished it) but at that time i didn't anticipate entering IM.
    i had sort of decided not to do a half, although i do agree it will be a good warm up event i feel it could have a negative effect mentally...theres a feeling that i'd get to the end (having struggled...especially at Bala...its tough i hear) and think can i do this again....and the answer would probably be no at that point even though i could) so i sort of decided not to bother with a half. but i think its the same weekend as blenhiem anyway
    (edit) just found out its the week after so i guess i could be persuaded
  • Options

Morning all. Grey and raining here. Just came back from 4 mile ish run - quite enjoying the rain as it was refreshing.  Loads of big puddles so it must have chucked it down all night

just cooked pancakes for brekkie image. It is pancake day you guys so get your frying pans out!

Now off to work ( late) image. Yuk...cycling in the rain I hateimage

Gym session after work

Hi to Andy. I'n not doing Bala either btw.  Although I've heard the venue has moved this year? Am I right?

Enjoy resting Rmax

• Options

Pancakes (ready made) in the office as we speakimage

ladyfe wrote (see)

Morning all. Grey and raining here. Just came back from 4 mile ish run - quite enjoying the rain as it was refreshing.  Loads of big puddles so it must have chucked it down all night

just cooked pancakes for brekkie image. It is pancake day you guys so get your frying pans out!

Gym session after work

Hi to Andy. I'n not doing Bala either btw.  Although I've heard the venue has moved this year? Am I right?

Enjoy resting Rmax

ladyfe wrote (see)

Gym session after work

Enjoy resting Rmax

• Options

image Ready made pancakes! image I didn't know they existed!

...unless they were made for you by your colleagues???? image

• Options
    ladyfe wrote (see)

image Ready made pancakes! image I didn't know they existed!

...unless they were made for you by your colleagues???? image

Sainsburysimage
  • Options

Hi all, how were the pancakes? image

glad to see you back safe and sound R'max. hope your feeling much better. Its never easy knowing what to do for the best when your feeling a little under the weather, do you go out for a quick sesh and hope it clears it or is it likely to make you worse. Always a tough choice!!

I did a 14m run yesterday afternoon and then went spinning last night with mrs colbol. felt really strong it was good. Anyone seen run fatboy run where he goes spinning? i nearly did a re-enactment at the end my spin class of where he goes to walk down the stairs image would have been highly embarrassing image

Planning a 2 hour turbo trainer (bouncing down with rain out there and i'm a wuss) and i have a swim lesson tonight. any ideas on film choices to me motivated on the TT

Hi Andy. you got more tri's than me under your belt image. i'm finding this is a great place to be for tips, motivation and advice from people who have been there and done it.

• Options
    Bin ther done it AND stupid enough to come back for moreimage
  • Options
    enjoying my day off and feeling a lot better just cooked the kids pancakes and eaten ironman proportions with maple syrup god I feel sickimageimage back to training tomorrow morning with some turbo time
  • Options
    i struggled with the turbo so much today...not motivation wise (although i hate the turbo with a passion) but i was trying to get it in at lunch time (i mostly work at home) and my phone didn't stop...managed 35 mins and gave up.....i'm not too bothered, i'm doing blackpool half marathon on sunday so i'm resting a bit anyway just light running.
    oh, and i'm gonna do a mile in the pool tonight...so we'll see how that goes.
  • Options
    Glad that you found them Andy,   I told you they were all toothless old hags    image
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Glad that you found them Andy,   I told you they were all toothless old hags    image
     I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!image
  • Options
    Hey everyone - i  just had a GREAT swim- yes that's right you heard!  There were only two of us for some strange reason in my lane and the lack of pressure made a big difference.  I just cruised along at my own pace and evrything went well.  Ok, I did still swallow half the pool still but Rome wasn't built in a day ..etc   Swam 64 lengths in about 43 mins which is very good for me.   happy days!!  image
  • Options
    well done slim, i too have had my best swim so far..1 mile in 45 mins...my best yet...long way to go but progress for sure.
  • Options

jeez....that was a soggy day.  First outing in rain this morning was a run which was ok as I was able to have quick hot bath immediately.  But then cycled to work...rain didn't stop ..then cycled later to gym with it still raining. Then cycled to shops this time feeling damp and chilly and cold and fed up with rain......pretty yukky really. Just felt that I had spent the entire day getting wetimage

Anyway - did a 45 min session on gym bike and also 15 mins of rowing. A lady next to me was cycling sedately with immaculately coiffured hair and reading a paperback.!  I meanwhile didn't look like that....

Slim- excellent!  I'm off for a lunchtime swim tomorrow and intend going on Thurs and Fri as well this week to make the most of the opportunity.

Oy - M-eldy - enough of your lip!  Toothless old hag I ain't although I may be an old bag at times...well I'm sure my students must call me that . But I've still got my gnashers....see? imageimage

I've peeked outside and its still raining image

Rmax - image to the pancake making and ironman proportions. 

I've just eaten a whole tin of rice pudding. With jam. Its good this ironman training!

• Options

Slim well done with the swimming its a bit like that struggle and all of a sudden you have a good sesh and move up a level

no training this morning still feeling cr@pimage think I may call this week an early cutback week as I have a lot on this weekend travelling for some of daughters uni interviews, on friday drive from Cornwall to Canterbury then to Wrexham on Saturday then back to Cornwall on Monday booked some nice hotels to make up for it though, and may as well take a bike and trainers as I was sat around for 4 hours waiting at her last interview may as well use the time constrimageuctively

Ladyfe gyms kill me, I do nOt use them generally as I like the great outdoors but when I do its amazing watching most peeps doing the sum total of naff all whilst watching themselves in the mirrorimage

• Options
    well i'm now in a quandary,
    i'm doing a half marathon on sunday and want it to go ok. so do i do a six mile run today then have 3 days rest...with maybe a cycle in if the ice goes from sheephouse lane....or do i do a (shit) turbo session today and do the run tomorrow giving me 2 days rest. i've another swim session tomorrow night too.
  • Options
    Andy if you want a good half time do a proper taper IMHO we are so far away from Ironman at the moment that af ew days missed of base training wil not matter a jot in the long run, go get a PBimage I did last year Plymouth half in May and still managed a great Bala and IMUK afterimage
  • Options
    yeah i dont really know what a proper taper is ...lol....so i'll just do a run tomorrow and see how it goes on Sunday (btw...i'm slow...a pb would be anywhere under 2.30)
    hahaha...fat chance of being an ironman
  • Options
    What gearing will all you guys be using on the Bolton bike leg? Any triple chainring users here? I just use a double and generally cope fine, however i was riding last saturday and encountereda HUUUUGGGGE hill. I managed to get about 3/4 up it but the gradient was just too much for my little stick-like legs. As there are one or two hill on the Bolton course would it be worth considering changing my gearing?
  • Options

Not sure what this years course is like as Iam Outlawing, but last years was hilly but defo no need for triples, sheephouse lane the big hill was just a long steady Plod can't remember anything else massivly challenging*

*Disclaimer I live in Cornwall and am a mountain goat

• Options
    my current bike has a tripple and i do go up sheephouse lane on the smallest (granny ring) on the front using various rings on the cassette depending on how i'm feeling. although i am looking at a new bike at the moment and will probably get a compact on the front...just cause i want to make it easy on myself on that hill having to do it 3 times
  • Options

* peeks into thread........sees discussion about gears/cassettes/compacts........disappears quickly. feeling very bike numptyish*

( * whispers " whats a compact and   triple chain-ring?"  ).

Feels decidedly blondeimage

• Options
    hey ladyfe, i'm a numpty too...we're talking about the front chainrings on your bike (with the pedals attached..lol...a compact has 2 rings, one large and one small....a tripple has (obviously) 3, with a medium ring in the middle. some of the guys on this thread have a 'double' which means only a large and a medium ring on the front. if that makes sense
  • Options

Hi All,

Been following your message threads on the forum all week, this is my first ever attempt at joining a forum so bear with meimage.

I have entered IMUK 70.3 & IM Bolton this year having previously raced IM 70.3 last year, but this will be my first Ironman and have started following Ironman training plan Start to Finish by Paul Huddle and Roch Frey.  Is this book any good?.

I ran my first marathon last year (Snowdonia) what an amazing race and Courseimage, entered again this year.  Started my training with a bang last Monday following 6 month plan, thats why I've found your forum so interesting.

Thanks

Phil

• Options
    hey phil, welcome, i'm new here too. i'm in imuk this year, never done a half IM and never run a marathon so you've got an advantage over me there. good luck with the training, i'm doing be ironfit by don fink so i cant comment on how good your plan is i'm afraid bt i'm sure people here can.

• Options

Hi Phil- welcome to the forum.  Dont know anything about your book I'm afraid.  I'm very roughly using Don Fink as a guide but lots of making it up whilst i go along as well!

To be honest everything you ever wanted to know about IM is somewhere on this site- over the last few years.

Just did a 45 min cycle followed by a 15 min run this morning. 

Ladyfe- I've found the numpty bike thread invaluable for learning what end of a bike is which!

• Options

Hi Phil

well a good end to the day for me been feeling decidedly better all day so in the best traditions of HTFU and JFDI I cracked in a 1 hour easy run and 30 min swim and am feeling pretty tickety booimage so alarm set for 5am for 45mins of turbo/15 min run. Naff all on telly tonight just finished watching Last Woman Standing on BBC I Player (anybody else watching this) so I may go and chuck some weights around.

Ladyfe

and any other bike blondesimage get to know your bike inside out if something goes wrong on race day a good basic bike knowledge can be the difference between finishing and wasting months of training,

also its fun and servicing your own bike will save you a small fortune so for this weekends light reading ladies and gentlemen i give you the Zen master......... the late great Sheldon Brown  image

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

• Options

Come come now - R'max--image servicing one's own bike!!!   You are looking at someone who takes her bike to the bike shop for puncture repairs imageimageimage

However - I do intend to at least learn how to fix a puncture myself - as a start !

Watched the winter olympics for a bit. Quite a few accidents on women's downhill ski-ing! image.

Welcome Phil - I too am using Fink schedule but I'm sure the one you are using is ok.....not an expert so can't really comment intelligently!    I have Snowdonia in my sights as well, but also Beachy Head which usually falls on the same weekend.  Would like to have a bash at Beachy first....

Today did 5 mile run and swim. Lovely day today - fresh but sunny and not raining! Was hoping for a quiet lane but there never seems to be a quiet lane at my pool image. Have today entered a Swimathon in April - a 2.5 K challenge. Have never ever swam that distance so this will give me a push to get going. 

*scuttles off to look at Numpty Bike thread. Avoids looking at Sheldon  website for a bit cos doesn't want to go to bed feeling even more blonde..*

• Options

Lady fe puncture repairs for blondesimage no bike shops 60 miles into your ironmanimage

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-fix-a-bicycle-puncture