Options

Ban Striking

Comments

• Options

In terms of sport striking is used most commonly in martial sports. Its not an appropriate term for the placing of the foot on the ground in running. Which is done in such a way as to minimise impact not increase it.

• Options
    My feet quite often 'flop' onto the ground near the end of a long run. It's not deliberate, it just happens that way. Can I put the word 'flop' forward as an alternative?
  • Options
    Whatever your preference is Azacaya. In general terminology though I think itd be for the best to replace striking with a term such as running eg heel running as opposed to heel striking. Or to say where the heel lands or is placed on the ground as opposed to where the heel strikes the ground.
  • Options
    Would this change the way we run?
  • Options

I think itd get rid of the impression inherent in the term heel striking that the foot is attempting to forcefuly strike the ground and is just trying to land on the ground with as little hard impact and subsequent jolting as possible.

Although for a heel runner the easiest way to do this is to adopt a new running style which minimises such hard impact and jolting. Front foot & toes would be a good start (see the post Great Running Technique in the training section).

• Options

Is it not time that this subject was forgotten. does it realy matter if we strike,  flop, smack, stroke, jolt. impact, land, or whatever terminology you wish to use so long as we can get out there and run.

To give advice in becoming a better runner would be more benefical than an english lesson, 

• Options

Out of interest Elderly Hippy what would be your preference?

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with striking. I regularly crack paving stones when I run (don't use modern built up trainers, just run in flipflops, as Prof Tom Peters from the Institute for Studies proved in a reasearch that barefoot running is better).

Why just this morning, I cracked at least 4 flagstones on my 6 mile run, just by striking them.

If you can't strike properly, and get injured, then you should just man up a bit. What are you, some kind of ASD gayer that spends his time obsessing about etymological misconceptions and trying to bum vases? Suck it up.
  • Options

My preferance, thats an interesting one.  Hmmmmm. Lets see?

Do you know when you have been out and had a realy realy realy good run, so effortless that you feel as if you were floating along.

I think that is what we all strive for, to float along. It doesn't happen often but when it does its the best feeling in the world.

Yes thats it, Floating.

• Options
    Well floatings one way to travel. Being a mere mortal man myself I can only advise placing the foot upon the ground as opposed to striking the ground which insinuates excessive vigour in the foots placement which can lead to hard impact and subsequent injury.
  • Options
    I want to float
  • Options
    Perhaps I shouldve called the thread ban striking promote floatingimage. I feel the term 'place'  is a good middle term (perhaps somewhere between striking and floating?!) to describe the foots connection with the ground.
  • Options

image........how on earth have I not noticed this thread before?..................barking image

• Options
    But your a cat.....too obvious?
  • Options
    I really thought we had lost this loony but it appears not.......
  • Options
    Another bizarre Runners World post!
  • Options
    I think this place needs more loonies

please stay Ricky
  • Options
    Ricky, of course striking is the correct term, if you 'place' your foot on the floor you would not get any momentum or speed. I do deliberately force my feet in to the ground, not deliberately doing so would mean my feet just land wherever they land - Ricky i think you should try to not push your feet to the floor, try running and let your feet just flop to the ground and see how far you get before you fall on your face?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire Rob wrote (see)
    I really thought we had lost this loony but it appears not.......
    I guess they've let him out again!
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Place is wrong. Place infers stasis.

E.G. you place your feet in a certain position before carrying out an exercise; You set a place at the table; a place.

It does not infer movement.

Strike is correct and will remain so. Strike infers force - the force that we are applying to propel ourselves forward. It does not infer aggressive (violent) force in this instance.

If we did not apply force to our movement then we would cease to move.

• Options
    I prefer floating
  • Options

To place. The act of placing. Does incorporate movement in its meaning. If something has been placed then the movement may be said to have stopped and in that sense static.

Strike in general modern English does infer force applied with a concurrent hard impact. To try to alter its meaning sufficiently to make it accurate enough to be an acceptable running term is something of a pointless exercise imo. And needlessly confusing for beginners.

• Options
    Said it once and I will say it again.  F***ing nutcase.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Ricky you are on a hiding to nothing. It is you who are trying to change the use of English language and you are thoroughly failing.

Place does not infer movement.
    Place: : "in the same spot without forward or backward movement" merriam webster online dictionary.

You are wrong about the word strike. You might not like its use but it conveys the message very well. Everyone understands what is meant by foot strike, even beginners. All disciplines have there jargon. This is a word that is not confusing or inaccurate in its message in running.

• Options

To place something does infer movement. You are placing it. If I say I am placing my foot on the ground I am moving my foot to be in contact with the ground. 

To say you strike the ground insinuates an over excessive contact with the ground which leads to excessive impact and the possibility of injury.  All disciplines may have there jargon but perhaps its best not to use a word which already has a mainstream meaning and then attempt to alter its meaning to make it applicable to the aforementioned discipline. Better to use an accurate term to start with. Such as place.

• Options
    Are you on a day trip or a weekend pass?
  • Options
    Nowt so strange as folk....
  • Options
    My Mum lives in a quiet place .......... I don't think that place has ever moved, in fact it has always been there ........ no movement inferred image
  • Options
    I am placing my foot on the ground. I place my foot on the ground like so. As an instruction place one foot forward and so forth. All statements make sense. To infer that people would somehow misinterpret these statements and think I wasnt  talking about the movement of the foot is nonsense.