Options

Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

Comments

• Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭
  • Options

im in this one image

doing this 3 weeks after edinburgh marathon so i'll be going for the bronze medal image

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

I haven't got my number yet image

Looking forward to visiting Sexy Stoke for this one!

• Options
    ive got my number 1596
  • Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Still no race number here image

I emailed the race director yesterday but no response yet.

I know it's still a month away but given the first numbers went out a week ago I'm getting a bit impatient

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    Just had confirmation I'll get my number next week image
  • Options
    thats good valley no more worrying now image
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

Try to get there earlish if you can, car parking can fill up pretty quckly on the free car park(s), I know a few people who didn't make it to the start on time as they got stuck trying to park.

Darron - I usually run through Wolstanton 4 times a week, if you've been doing any hill training on Porthill Bank you should be ok, it reminds me a little of Anchor Road on the 'Arf route!

Nothing my first year, bronze last year, going for silver this year. Doing a training run on the course tomorrow so that'll be a good indicator! (must be mad on a Sunday morning.)

• Options
    No parking permits with the race packs this year. Parking in the area is free on a Sunday at the moment. Something the council are doing as a trial according to the race information.
  • Options

Hi folks,

Just reading all your forums on the Potters Alf Marathon 2010 and now I'm really scared. Only started running this January as a New Year resolution to get fitter, over weight and asthmatic not good! I am a very very slow runner I regularly see grannies with zimmer frame overtaking me and thats on the flat! But foolishly I entered this half maraton to give me some focus and now I'm told its the hardest. I have been running about 10 miles twice sometimes three times a week with a lot of hills, but I tried the route on Tuesday and OMG, I think I died and gone to running hell!!! Made it (all be it very slowly) up Anchor Rd, but then some how took a wrong turn and did an extra mile along Leek Rd, ended up with runner knees so had to walk the last 2 miles!!! In all it took me 3 hours!!!!!  image So guys I desparately need your advice on how to run faster and without loo breaks, I'm not lokking to break any world records but it would be nice to finish before sunset!!!!!image

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Hi Amanda,

If you're running 10 miles 2 or 3 times a week then you're quite capable of finishing a half marathon, you just need to hang on for the last 3 miles.

There's no need to do a 10 mile run more than once a week though, instead focus on shorter 5 or 6 mile mid week runs at a higher pace then do a nice steady long run at the weekend.

Afraid I can't help with the loo breaks as there's no getting away from the fact you need to be adequately hydrated before you set off.  I've not run the Arf before but when I did Stratford they put porta-loos around the route.

Paul.

• Options

HI Amanda,

Look at the positives from your run on Tuesday. You made it around a course you didn't know and in really warm conditions this week (I know how you feel being asthmatic, I am too and my training times were a few minutes slower than usual this week) and now that you know the course, you know what to expect on the day.

Running 10 miles in your training plan will see you through, just take your time over the first 4 miles until you hit the top of Anchor Road and you'll be fine, there will be lots of encouragement which will help you find extra mileage in your legs towards the end. If you can, try to take on fluid before and during the race, if it's hot your going to need it to make sure you don't dehydrate.

There are a good few pubs along the way if you do need a loo break, but better to make sure you are well hydrated than not for the sake of a few minutes relief!

All the best on the day, I'm sure that you will be fine!

• Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, gonna concentrate on faster shorter distances like you said and maybe one more long one before the big day! For all those taking part, see you there and all the best image

Amanda.

• Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

Amanda

I am doing this one as my first half too. I have run up to 10 miles so far and things were going to plan 2 weeks ago, but have had an injury so not  done the last 2 long runs . 

Managed a stop start 5miles this morning, without pain so hopefully will be ok over the next couple of weeks.

Good luck, you have already gone further than I have as you have been round the course, we picked a tough one but lets give it our best shot.

FC

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I really hope the weather is cooler for the event than this weekend.

My plan yesterday was 12 miles but I couldn't manage more than 8.5 and that was with an 8:30am start.

My pace was way off normal as well, I'd have no chance of getting the silver medal.

I'm the first person to welcome hot sunny weather but running in it is just horrible.

• Options

i did edinburgh marthon on sunday and as the weather was scorching i decided after the 16 mile mark that just getting round was a good plan.

lets hope the weather is a bit kinder for this one image

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    My race pack has finally arrived today image - 3 weeks after everybody elses image
  • Options
    at least its here valley image
  • Options

Hi Guys, I've been reading everyones comments so far & am starting to wonder what Ive let myself in for !!  lol.  Im just getting back to running after a 3 year break due to a knee injury.. Thankfully it seems to be ok now . I only entered at the weekend so havent a clue when I should get my race number. I live in Chesterton now so hopefully it won't take too long to get here. Any advice for this "Potters virgin " would be greatly appreciated..

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Hi Allan,

Difficult to give specific advice without knowing your previous running experience and where you are currently with your training.

The only thing I can say is if you're not very far on with your training then it's too late now to make much difference before the 13th.

in terms of course advice I've never run it before but there was some good advice given  by Craig on page 1.

Paul.

• Options

Hi Paul,

I've been running again since the end of april & took part in the Blackpool 10k fun run 09/05/10. I managed a time of 52.57 which I was pleased with. The last long run/walk that I did around the local area was 11 miles in a time of 1hour 46 mins..

Thanks for the input & I think I'll just take it easy up the hills and make sure I finish..  =image

Allan.

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Hello angie.g, fancy seeing you on hereimage 

Really fancy having a crack at this, may enter later today when i see how the legs feel after Edinburgh.  

• Options

Hi Everyone,

I've even roped my father in law into doing this one, all the way from Accrington! Needless to say, he's got plenty of hills to train on up that part of the world. I did a 10k up there back in October, one of the toughest I've ran, big climbs, gale force winds, the lot, so I though I'd give him a taste of what what the good old Potteries has to offer! image

I'm getting pretty excited about his race now, it's my fave of the whole year, the atmosphere is something else! Here's hoping that the weather will be something like today, although I very much doubt it for some reason!

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Allan, your 10K and 11 mile times are good so I don't think you're going to have any problems with the race.

One piece of advice though - don't go off too fast at the start, it's easy to get carried along with the atmosphere and quicker runners but you'll regret it half way in if you've over done it.

As for the weather - I get a bit obsessed with the weather in the summer as I love it hot and sunny, so much so that I read a web site that discusses the weather to come in the next 1-2 weeks.

The guys on that web site are feeling pretty confident that the first half of June could turn warm/hot again.  We're still over 2 weeks away though and forecasting at that range is ropey to say the least.

I'll put an update here closer to the race.

• Options
    Gold Pig wrote (see)

Hello angie.g, fancy seeing you on hereimage 

Really fancy having a crack at this, may enter later today when i see how the legs feel after Edinburgh.  

what you waiting for get your name down and i'll see you there as well

my legs are fine after edinburgh, just been out with the club for a 7 miler image

• Options

Hi Ang

hope u doing sweetheart - hope ure ok

another year another Potts arf - we should be there

• Options

Hi micknphil

this just keeps getting better, can wait to see you both again image

im doing great just did my first full marathon and feel great

but now back to the halfs, i like the distance better  image

• Options

this will be our 212 HM i think

were running Chester FM on Monday , it will be our 40 th FM, for me it'll be my ?? 108 ??

anyway, hope alls ok

congratulations marathon girl  image 

• Options

potters will be my 18th half and will mark 2 years of running

good luck monday, im running the bupa 10,000 in london monday with my sister so looking forward to that

see you both in 2 weeks image 

xxxx

• Options

Hi Micknphil. xxx (Ria)

I'm heading to this straight after a week camping in Scotland. I may smell...... image image