Options

YES!!!

Comments

• Options

What is the problem between you two people??

I don't know anything about eithyer of you but a lot of threads involving you seem to descend into bickering...

• Options
    There is an obvious sexual tension between the two
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

D2D, I would also advise caution against relying on mapmyrun too... measurement needs to be done on the ground to be accurate.  I really hope you are right and you do a great race time on march 7th, but don't put all your hopes on the times you think you are running without doing it on a proven route/distance that has been accurately measured.

My 10k pb was run on a route that was measured using maps and not on the ground... it turned out to be half a mile short.  My 3 min PB that wasn't...I was gutted.

• Options
    Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)
    There is an obvious sexual tension between the two
    can you have sexual tension between 2 people who've never met and don't know what each other look like?  image
  • Options

cyber sex-ual tension.

I imagine JM grinning as he types, saying to himself, "you love it, you dirty image"  Meanwhile D2D, with internet connection wrapped around her finger, bossom heaving, saying "you treat me so bad" as she reads.

Why else would they carry on like this?

• Options
    But to add to the sexual tension.......we don't actually know if Jokerman is male or femaleimage
  • Options
    Although it's a good time, as many other peeps have said, it's not a race so it doesn't count.  You can only get PB's in races, D2D - sorry. image
  • Options

Its funny, I was thinking that about the sexual tension thing earlier today when i first read this. I think its like one of those Hollywood potboilers where the male and female lead meet, hate each other, but over time learn to respect then love each other. You know the rest...

Although in this case I'm betting D2D is out of JM's league...

• Options
    Mind you, so is Kerry Katona.
  • Options
    D2D - don't put yourself under too much pressure to deliver..... on the other hand, exceeding JM's expectations might be spur enough!
    Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

D2D, how can you be so familiar with 10k distance to 'know' it instinctively when you've only run one 10k race and previously you thought you had run one in 36 mins?  It doesn't make sense.

I'm really not trying to get at you, I want to be supportive.  I am only saying this, because to say you've now run a half in 1:36, when you actually have no real confirmation that the distance is correct is maybe setting yourself up for disappointment.  Then your usual detractors will be on here saying 'i told you so' if you fail to run that time or better on race day.  

• Options
    Me thinks the jokerman doth protest too much...
  • Options

D2D I really would advise getting a Garmin 205/305 and not relying on map my run. I used to have the GF 50 and once I got my 305 realised the difference in milage, or have you calibrated your 50 on the track??  image

You can also retrieve splits from the 50 through the website if you'd like to share them?? Very well done anyway on your time anyway, similar to what i'm chasing on 7th Feb. image

• Options
    Measuring distance by car isn't v accurate either, as I found out a few years ago when a loop that I'd been using for runs was only 2.5 miles instead of 2.9 miles  image.......
  • Options
    JM knows / recall too much about D2D not to be infatuated!!!!
  • Options

I'd like to add that I did 14 miles today (satelite tracked) and by my splits I took 2 mins off my PB 1/2, although I know it doesn't count for a PB.  I wasn't 'going for it', I've just done a lot of training since my first half and feel much more comfortable at a faster pace.

On another matter it's either sexual tension or a case of Dr. D2D and Mr. JM! image

• Options
    I did 14 miles today.I was bobbins image
  • Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    I did 14 miles today.I was bobbins image

I've never even run that far in one go!  image

I did 8 miles today and was trying my best to stick to advice not to go at race pace, but it was peeing down the whole time and it was difficult not to speed up and get home quicker!

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Well said KK (and congrats on the elite start!).

D2D, I'm glad your training is going so well and you're feeling confident, and I really do hope you run a fab half. But always take training runs with a pinch of salt - if you treat them as an estimate of your fitness then they can be an excellent benchmark for future races, but as others have said being overly reliant on them can lead to disappointment.

I like to err on the side of caution, and underestimate training distance wherever I can (e.g. if using Map My Run, I always round up). I've found this helps a lot - being pleasantly surprised with my pace during the first few miles of a race always motivates me to stick to that pace, whereas being slower than I expected usually means I give up on a PB much earlier on. All depends on what works for you though image

• Options

Well done on the good run, but I'd echo the main message here. I have a particular circuit that comes out at exactly 6.2 miles according to my Garmin. I know what my PB for the route is, and try to beat it, but if I beat my time I'd never think of it as a proper "10K PB". It's a PB over a route that just happens to be about 10K , and am happy to think of it that way because  the distance is unofficial and there's no adjudication. With MapMyRun, believe me, you can be out quite a lot. Just today I twice measured a route with MMR and it came out at 13.8 miles both times. According to my Garmin after the run, it was actually only 13.2.

Might be best for you not to give hostage to fortune by describing it as a half marathon PB. I can well understand your delight, and congratulations, but always best to decribe it as a PB for the route (presuming you've run it before). It still gets your point across.

It raises an interesting question about what is a marathon? The recent publicity about Eddie Izzard's astonishing running feet (geddit?) kept referring to him running a marathon every day for 43 days (or whatever). A fantastic achievement, but... is a marathon just any distance of 26 miles? I don't think so. It's not a unit of measurement, it's an event surely? If someone says they plan to run a marathon at the weekend I would always assume this was in a prearranged, established race, not just a solo training run. 

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

That's a very interesting point RC. I'm inclined to think the same as you - mainly for the reasons that have already been put forward here (i.e. these events give a measured and reliable estimate of the distance run). This is presumably a major reason why we bother to have these events in the first place, as opposed to just taking individual reports of times over certain distances based on people's own routes.

Personally, I just like getting a medal and t-shirt image

• Options

Have you been smoking a celebratory crack pipe there D2D? image

Well done on the excellent time. Good luck repeating it in your race.

• Options

Kernel?  Is that a non-military, culinary version of Colonel?

I only mention it as you are always so keen to correct others.

Sub 1:30 would be a respectable time.  Good luck.