Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Kelly's cunning plan has worked. Babysitters for Notts and London.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    Sounds like Kelly's cunning plan has worked. Babysitters for Notts and London.

I doubt it. I dont do children!

*shit* speaking of which...forgot to ring on my newphews birthday! At least I remembered to send a present...image My mother will kill me

• Options

Hee hee.

Yes, OH will be coming so babysitter all sorted.

We'll be going to the dinosaur exhibition thing at the O2 on one of the days (in London for 2 days) and the rest is just sightseeing, so hopefully we can sort something.

Are the museums in London still free?

Bad mother, but I couldn't be bothered to pick Jack up from school, be driven crazy by that hospital and either have to pick Ben up early to get there, or ask my mam to get him, so I cancelled the appointment. Well, not cancelled - rearranged. It was only for an eye test and Ben is back there in 3 weeks so I just booked him in at the same time. Saves me grief!

That means I was able to get out for my MP session. It didn't feel fantastic, but it wasn't horrendous. The humidity made things a bit uncomfortable and for the first few MP miles I was wondering if I should call it quits due to my breathing. I literally turned a corner and hit a long stretch with shade and it then felt so much easier. I think I'm a freak of nature, I get less tired at pace the further the distance. Shame that doesn't apply to a race.

Back into the sun for the last mile so I did put more effort in and it was still ok, but I was pleased to finish. Had a minute to breathe while I crossed a road and then into the strides, which I did with jog recovery. That was a bit sneaky, wasn't it imageimage? I thought I was done after the MP bit, but the next mile with the strides worked out at around the same average, so it was essentially a 8.5m MP run.

Nevermind. I had a nice cool glass of chocolate milk as my reward.

I'll update with splits after I go get the boy. I should add that 0.8m onto my training image.

For anyone interested, Friday has been changed to -

3m easy to steady || 5 * 75m strides || 4 * 1k @ 7:20 Pace, 4 * 800m @ 7:10 all w / 90 secs recovery || cd.

Interesting. I assume I do the all the k's, then the 800's, rather than alternate them?

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Most of them are free. The national ones anyway. The best for kids is natural history obviously, but I always feel both Tate's (modern and Britain) is nice and a bit quieter usually.

The museum of Docklands (part of the museum of London) has this great play area as well and that is now free. 

Kids are also free at Kew Gardens if you want to run them around a little and it never feels crowded even on a really busy day. If you push Jack you may well get in for free also (I know mum gets a free carer and pays half price for herself), but I can also get two people in for a reduced price with my residents card. 

Glad the run went well overall image And that session looks much better imo - far more manageable!

• Options

Thanks for the info. I'll have to get my itinerary together. I think we're staying in Greenwich, so that'll be handy for Docklands.

I usually check the entrance fees and work out which is the best way. Family tickets are usually 2ad + 2ch, but sometimes it works out cheaper if they offer a free carer to pay individually. It is quite handy because although he has improved a great deal, there are still occasions where he just doesn't want to be somewhere (and lets anyone know about it) so it is galling to spend money to get into somewhere and then have to leave.

Ooh, data is pleasing image.

12.05m, 1:37:59, avg 8.07

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:56(8:56/m) - 61cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 72cal
    3)  - 0.5m - 4:04(8:09/m) - 33cal

4)  - 0.5m - 3:57(7:53/m) - 34cal
    5)  - 1m - 7:54(7:54/m) - 70cal
    6)  - 1m - 7:54(7:54/m) - 71cal
    7)  - 1m - 7:51(7:51/m) - 67cal
    8)  - 1m - 7:51(7:51/m) - 71cal
    9)  - 1m - 7:47(7:47/m) - 71cal
    10)  - 1m - 7:51(7:51/m) - 70cal
    11)  - 1m - 7:48(7:48/m) - 69cal

12)  - 1m - 7:57(7:57/m) - 70cal (strides)

13)  - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 72cal
    14)  - 0.05m - 25(8:30/m) - 3cal

Yes, I agree, Friday looks better!
  • Options
    My kids love the science museum - it's free to get in and there's a massive, interactive play area that they can run around in. The staff also do shows with explosions in, which the kids thought was very cool. image
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

OMG how did I forget that! I love that place and havent been for AGES!

Since you are in Greenwich its a fine shame that the mean line and observatory arent free anymore, however, you can still pop into the park and the market is quite sweet (but small) as its hidden behind the main buildings. 

Also near to you is the Horniman museum which is a Victorian place full of odd stuffed animals (including an overstuffed walrus) and other curious items, and it has rather glorious gardens as well in case the sun decides to shine. Thats also free - the 185 bus goes directly there from Lewisham station.

• Options

Adding it all to my list image.

Katie will love the science museum.

I'm assuming they'll all be fine with the Natural History Museum this time. We took them 2 years ago and Jack's hissy fit paid off that day as they ushered us to the front of a long queue to see the dinosaur display there... but they were all terrified of the animatronic one at the end and all burst into tears. I think they're a bit braver this time - I hope so, otherwise the O2 visit won't last long! image

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Dont laugh too much but I cant go to the London Dungeons in case I cry image

I've also had to leave a theatre performance once because the shock of it made me cry - a premier at the Studios at the national theatre - how bloody embarassing for a theatre student (especially as I had to wait for all my friends in the lobby during the second half)!

So maybe they wont grow out of it! image

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    The Horniman museum being full of stuffed animals is a joke right?
  • Options

Second 3 miler, PE was way low. Averaged 8.42 and felt really good.

10 miles in the morning and then hopefully the new Body Balance / Pump release to try at tea time. I'll probably be happy that I have Thursday off.

Holiday dates confirmed Sun 7th - Thurs 11th.

My thinking is to do my LSR on the 6th, something shorter on Sunday before we leave, Mon/Tue whatever and take my rest day on Weds instead of Thurs.

Actually, if I'm having 3 full training weeks (no reason why not), I make it a recovery week the week I'm away, so it should work out well.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    The Horniman museum being full of stuffed animals is a joke right?

Nope! I know it always makes me chuckle. Its famous for the overstuffed walrus:
    http://www.horniman.ac.uk/exhibitions/featured_detail.php?exhib_id=21&recordID=19

Nice run Kelly and some good scheduling there by the looks of it image

• Options
    So are you still planning on coming to Notts? Not sure I could advise on child friendly activities here. I like to go to places where children aren't allowed!
  • Options

Me too! image

Yes, Notts on the 10th, so driving back up on the 10th and leaving on the 11th to complete the journey home.

• Options

I know I say I like the rain, but I wish it would only start when I'm already running. It's hard on the old motivation to set off on a longish run when it is already torrential. Never mind. Less than 2 minutes later I was smiling. Breathing is completely easy when it's raining so it ended up being a great run and never felt tired at any point, which I was expecting, having ran over 15 miles yesterday.

Less than 2 miles in I got absolutely soaked by a few ar$ehole drivers. I wish there had been a police car passing by, isn't this technically "assault" according to the law / highway code image? Head height tidal wave, which I knew was coming, so I took a deep breath in anticipation. Although I was already drenched from the rain, this was a whole different version of drenched and so had to spend the next 8 miles trying not to look like I was part of a wet t-shirt competition image.

Am I to assume now that this is my new easy pace from effort? It still feels strange because it wasn't particularly gradual. One week I was running about 8.55 and the next 8.40-8.45. It does feel easy though. Maybe I should just take advantage. Maybe another few higher mileage weeks will necessitate slowing down. I'm not trying to hit any pace, I'll often look down and be completely surprised by the feedback. There doesn't seem any point in artificially slowing down when it already feels easy.

10.33m, 1:30:22, avg 8.44

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:53(8:53/m) - 99cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:39(8:39/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 96cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 95cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 96cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 97cal
    8)  - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 96cal
    9)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 96cal
    10)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 94cal
    11)  - 0.33m - 2:53(8:43/m) - 31cal 

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Kelly I suspect it is just improved fitness filtering through. As you say there's no point forcing the pace to be slower assuming it is genuinely easy pace. I think when you are gaining fitness after injury it often doesn't happen gradually and you find yourself hit by unexpected (but pleasant!) big chunks of improvement. I think there's a good chance you will be troubling your PBs quicker than you are expecting.
  • Options

That would be pleasing! I'll just go with whatever feels good on the day.

Probably not surprising as it comes off the back of some decent mileage lately and I often feel better the week after a cutback week, rather than the reduced week itself.

I'm not really sure why I find it so remarkable, looking back at this time last year I used to do 20 milers at this pace image.

Good luck tonight. Hope it's this nice (for racing) next Wednesday image.

• Options

Oooh, that was tough. Balance followed by Pump. Around 15 minutes into Pump I was already wanting to go home and towards the end I was feeling pretty off and shaky - not just the usual muscle objection. It is no wonder why as I looked at my log when I got home. I didn't refuel after this morning, was quite busy after I got Ben and barely ate anything for lunch. My target for today is 2329 after exercise and so far I have eaten... 727. Smart, I'm still in negative net calories for the day imageimage.

My blood sugar felt very low so I've cheered that up with a few biscuits while I wait for my very large tea. I'm pushing the boat out tonight and might even have bread and marg image. I also have a craving for crinklecut beetroot.

Last day for the boys tomorrow, Katie is on Friday. It's cost me a fortune this week in gifts for everyone, there's like 3 or 4 teachers/assistants in each of the kids' class, plus a little something for lollipop ladies, etc. Still, they deserve it image. Most of it is food related though so it's sitting on my counter and somewhat torturing me!

• Options
    I hope you at least enjoyed the chest track in Pump. Assuming we're on the same release - Sweet Child of Mine!

I have a league race on the 10th so won't be around I'm afraid. It's the last in the series too, so presentations and suchlike until far too late for a school night.
  • Options

Yes, that one launched tonight for us. That lasted a long time! I hate arm tracks.

WTH were those planks? I was still knackered after the Balance ab work.

• Options

Ditched pilates this morning and had a day of doing absolutely nothing. I felt like I needed it, but more mentally, rather than physically. I did walk 0.8m x 4 though, that'll do me image.

Ben is all done at playgroup now. Was quite sad actually, I still remember his first day and how he used to cry when I left. It finally ended up as "Bye, Ben. Ben? Byeee. BEN, goodbye!" before he looked at me like "oh, you're still here".

Onwards to Katie's school fair and a spur of the moment raffle ticket purchase resulted in winning a huge hamper. Flipping heck, how much more temptation do I need? This is so unfair image. Too many nice goodies in there, it's a good job I've relaxed my deficit.

Moraghan - not sure if I've missed an earlier reply, but is tomorrow's session all 4 k's followed by the 800's, or is it alternating? I'm assuming the former.

OH's holiday year runs Sept - Sept... I asked (forced) him to save a decent chunk for the summer, so as well as the 4-5 days we're away, he will be off every Thurs/Fri (and weekend) over the school holidays. Sigh of relief image. Looking at my calendar, it should fly by. Hopefully training will not be affected too much! I reallllly don't want to be getting up at 6am image.

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Yes, 4 1ks first, followed by the 4 800s.
  • Options
  • Options

It's a big relief when you've managed to get the school holidays sorted isn't it? We've usually had to pay for some childcare in the summer, which is an absolute fortune, but my mum retired in June, so she is going to look after the kids when I have to work this summer which is great image.

It's my eldest's last day at primary school today. It seems like 5 minutes ago that I was taking her for her first day in reception class! She loves her new high school though and can't wait to go - I think it will be me, not her, who feels a bit image when I pick her up from there this afternoon!

Hope you're feeling better after the rest day, I've got 2 weeks off work now - loads of time to read and run!

• Options

Aced my session toda.y image

Ended up a bit further than I intended though. image

Off to pick my boys up and will update upon return.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)

Onwards to Katie's school fair and a spur of the moment raffle ticket purchase resulted in winning a huge hamper.

image Read that as ...."a huge hammer" - I thought that`s a bt odd image I am such a fool.

Carry on......

• Options
    Ha. How you doing, Mr K? What's next on your horizon? Thunder Run?
  • Options

I figured the track was probably too far away in the time I had available, so I put my thinking cap on and wondered where I could go that would be flat and traffic free, or rather no junctions to navigate. Ah, the road through the Racecourse, about 3.5m away, ideal warm up distance, off I headed. Started my session and at some point thought "oh dear, I'll have to do over 3m home now" image. Never mind, it felt fine image.

My warm up was slightly compromised as I ran the first few miles with a friend before he continued on to finish his LSR. Still felt good enough though and had to do the strides up a hill, so recovery sections very slow.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:53(8:53/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:49(8:49/m) - 95cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:23(8:23/m) - 95cal
    5)  - 0.01m - 3(5:28/m) - 1cal

Session 4 x 1k @ 7.20 | 4 x 800m @ 7.10, all w/ 90s recoveries (no break).

First k felt an absolute breeze. I didn't want to get too cocky though, so did stick as close to the prescribed pace as possible. I also know that these things have a habit of quickly tiring you out. It didn't seem to happen though. I was working at the end of each rep, but it seemed to be against a stiff breeze each time I turned around. I still don't understand how that works!

It did cross my mind that it was going to be difficult to up the pace as I was doing the 4th, yet as my recovery finished and I put in a bit more effort, it seemed easier image. I don't know if it was the psychological thing of it being a shorter rep as although it was only by 200m, the 800's seemed to fly by and the K's slightly dragged.

I was still surprised to see the pace when it beeped, oops. Tried harder on the second one and that came out better. I'd been doing my calculations and knew if I kept going out and back along this road it would be 4m home, so after the recovery, I headed back towards home. This did mean the 3rd had a downhill section and was therefore faster again. The last one felt very manageable too.

Programmed the session, can't believe I ignored the functionality of the watch for so long. So much easier! I never program paces as I wouldn't be able to stand any alerts going off, but it's great to just keep going until it gives you the countdown beeps, nothing to think about, or pay attention to, or try to press Lap at exactly the right point image.

5.87m @ avg 7.33

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 0.62m - 4:33(7:18/m) - 60cal
    2)  - 0.17m - 1:30(8:52/m) - 16cal

3)  - 0.62m - 4:33(7:19/m) - 60cal
    4)  - 0.17m - 1:30(8:40/m) - 17cal

5)  - 0.62m - 4:33(7:18/m) - 61cal
    6)  - 0.18m - 1:30(8:29/m) - 17cal

7)  - 0.62m - 4:33(7:18/m) - 60cal
    8)  - 0.17m - 1:30(8:35/m) - 17cal

9)  - 0.5m - 3:32(7:06/m) - 48cal
    10)  - 0.17m - 1:30(8:37/m) - 17cal

11)  - 0.5m - 3:34(7:09/m) - 48cal
    12)  - 0.17m - 1:30(8:39/m) - 17cal

13)  - 0.5m - 3:32(7:06/m) - 48cal
    14)  - 0.18m - 1:30(8:34/m) - 18cal

15)  - 0.5m - 3:33(7:08/m) - 48cal
    16)  - 0.18m - 1:30(8:13/m) - 17cal

• Options

I obviously experienced the post session PE feeling far easier in comparison to what I'd been doing as the run home also felt like I was just sauntering along, even though the pace was on paper a bit nippy. I kept trying to slow down and thought I had done so, yet every time I looked down, the pace was the same.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:29(8:29/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 0.15m - 1:20(8:41/m) - 15cal 

Total of 13.03m for the morning.
  • Options

Blimey, I've done another 3 runs since I last posted.

3m easy @ 8.47 last night.

5m @ 8.28 this morning - I should explain this one.

parkrun were trialling running the route in reverse. This lends to a gentle down hill in mile 1 and a great downhill in mile 3. Much, much better, I hope they keep it!

Kind of got caried away on the first mile (mile 2) but there was a strong tail wind and with the down hill it didn't feel anywhere near MP.

Turned the bend at a mile and wow, very strong headwind for about 0.5m. I do hope it is not like that on Wednesday.

The other thing is Wed's race is ran in this direction so it was brilliant to give me a little reminder of how it will feel. What I can predict is if I get to the top of the only "climb" (roughly 2 miles) in anywhere near a comfortable state, it will be a damn good finish. Almost a mile down hill (and a serious tail wind today) and that 8.20 pace was me practically jogging.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 7:56(7:56/m) - 98cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:39(8:39/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:20(8:20/m) - 96cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 0.01m - 4(8:37/m) 

Supposed to do another 3 tonight, but I finished it at a slow 2.5 @ 9.00. As I ran quite far over yesterday, it pushes me to a 70 mile week so didn't bother going any further just for the sake of it.

Please don't be this windy tomorrow. I really don't fancy 15m into the wind... because it doesn't matter if I do a loop or out and back, it will be against me all the way!