Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Kelly, I always thought that would be a better, and faster, way to run it.

It also sorts out the problem of that strange first corner.

Could be a whole slew of new PBs at Newcastle if they keep it that way.

• Options

It certainly did, I was beginning to hate that corner. Very frustrating even when not racing. By the time I reached the first pinch point at the first gate (used to be 3rd gate), the field was nicely spread out.

The race I'm doing on Wed is run in today's direction, although different start/finish points with a final bit around the lake, and I've always thought it was a faster 5K.

• Options

A super LSR this morning.

I was wrong! I finally managed to run in a direction that favoured me from half way, apart from the last mile. It was a long skinny loop, rather than a fat circular loop (the type where it always feels into the wind) so I felt the stiff wind for about 7 miles and whilst I didn't feel any assistance on the return, more importantly, it wasn't against me.

I took my ipod today and just managed to finish the Phantom soundtrack image.

Good run, but happy to have a day off tomorrow as I've just passed 70 miles for the week image.

15.10m, 2:11:59, avg 8.44

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 9:06(9:06/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m) - 94cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:49(8:49/m) - 97cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 96cal
    8)  - 1m - 8:43(8:43/m) - 97cal
    9)  - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 96cal
    10)  - 1m - 8:31(8:31/m) - 97cal
    11)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 96cal
    12)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 96cal
    13)  - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 95cal
    14)  - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 97cal
    15)  - 1m - 8:43(8:43/m) - 97cal
    16)  - 0.1m - 55(8:44/m) - 10cal
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

70 miles!!!

Is that close to the most you've ever done?

Nicely done, it certainly was a glorious morning for getting LSRs done. image

• Options
    Next week -

Mon - OFF

Tue - 6m easy w/ 5 x 75m strides

Wed - 3m easy am / wu | strides | race | cd pm

Thu - 3m recovery am / 3m recovery pm

Fri - 3m easy am / 6m easy pm

Sat - 2m easy | 6m steady w/ 5 x 75m strides am / 3m easy pm

Sun - 15m LSR

Moraghan - I've moved Tuesday's 3m double to Weds as I think I really benefit in a race from an earlier run. I'll email you later about the races.

I think it's almost time to bring out the pink Bostons image.
    My feet have been feeling a bit battered in the past few runs.

Why do they have to be so pink?? (more like an off salmon colour)

../members/images/415369/Gallery/45100.jpg

• Options

Why didn't that work?

http://../members/images/415369/Gallery/45100.jpg

Edit - to heck with it.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Some great running over the weekend Kelly image

Monster session and lsr and total mileage. I'm always amazed at how easily you absorb mileage - like a sponge. 

A great way to make you feel confident for the race on Weds too. 

• Options

PRF - Didn't see your post there while I was messing around with pictures.

It's not the most I've ever done, but only by a couple of miles. I think I hit 73 and 7x during marathon training early last year, but only twice that I can recall.

My mileage is certainly the most consistent it has ever been. I'll hit my highest monthly mileage by Sunday by a long way.

Curly - Yes, I feel good. With doing the doubles though (4 a week now), it doesn't mean that I don't have times where I think "but I don't want to go out again" image.

Despite my complaining, looking at my log for these summer months this year vs last year, I'm in a much better place, so I no longer feel that I can't produce some good times in the autumn. September was my "pb month" last year, so there is no reason to think I won't have some good performances from when I aim to peak in October.

2010 vs 2011

Apr 143 - 147
    May 167 - 225
    Jun 201 - 230
    Jul 246 - 222 currently, I'm expecting 60m this week, so 282 for the month (highest 248)

• Options
    Nice going Kelly! I fancy a crack at that new Parkrun course. I'll pencil it in for Christmas...
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Kelly do you reckon the parkrun course is faster run this way then? Looking like good conditions for the 5k tomorrow evening. Shame I'm not in Newcastle this week to do it.

• Options

Definitely, Mr V. Ok, you have the climb up from old gate 2 to gate 1, but it doesn't last long. It feels more or less downhill for the first mile and the last mile across the moor is downhill and flies by.

Yes, weather predicts overcast and 2mph winds. Ha! That'll never happen, but if it stays as a light wind rather than a gale, that will be an improvement on the usual conditions.

I'm looking forward to it. Well, I say that now image.

My BMR on the website I'm using must be wrong. Weighed in at 8st 4lb this morning image. I've been logging everything religiously, so the only questionable part of the equation is the BMR. I'm feeling fine for it, but I was pretty hungry yesterday - always am on a rest day, even though I had no deficit. I'm going to add 250 cals a day as even eating a bit more that should still produce a slow loss.

Looks like getting to 8st might not be too out of the question after all. Still have 2 months until my big race, so will just take what comes. Although I'm smaller overall, it is driving me nutso that I still have this bit around the middle that will not shift image

So based on my last 5K (8st 11), in theory, that should give me roughly 14s per mile without even trying image.

• Options

The BMR formula that I found said you needed to muliply the BMR value by the following values
    1.2 for a none exercise day;
    1.4 for a easy exercise day;
    1.7 for a medium exercise day; or  
    1.9 for heavy exercise day.

• Options

I've seen that before but find it fairly abstract because what I would define as medium might be hard for someone else. Also, I might have a heavy exercise day of 10 miles, or a different day of 13 miles and surely that should be accounted for.

I have been using BMR (obviously wrong) + exercise cals - 250 (deficit for 0.5lb/week) = daily calorie target.

That allows me to say "no, I can't have that biscuit" image, or "woo hoo, I can eat a Wispa" image.

I did see those figures on another thread the other day and questioned whether it might mean that for someone like me who does a lot of exercise (although otherwise fairly sedentary), I should have a higher BMR, using the ratios above, and then should also account for specific calories burnt during exercise.

The BMR I came out with seemed incredibly high though!

I'm confusing myself image.

I thought it was supposed to be a simple case of calories in vs calories out. image
    That is proving to be the case, I'm just trying to control the rate of loss.

Someone work it out for me.

5ft 5 and 8st 4.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well I dont know mine exactly but I need to eat around 2,500 a day to lose 0.5 a week and am not far off your height and weight (a bit taller and a bit heavier), but I run a lot less miles.On very heavy days I eat about 200-300 more in total, but I am often over on my rest day too. I try to average it over the week more than anything.

What were you eating? 1,800 or 2,000? Go up by 200 a day first and then see where you are after a few weeks. BMR is too approximate really as you say because it relys on non exercise cals and then adds mileage on top when really you need it all together.

• Options

1800 ish, give or take. I could never diet to extreme, I like to eat, so will need no excuse to eat a bit more image.

There's every chance my scales are weighing me lighter than what I am in reality, I'll check the gym scales next time I'm there. As long as my scales are consistently inconsistent, that'll do me image.

I have a very bad feeling about tomorrow. I've just been across the moor and have noticed they are doing some work around the lake. The start/finish is not marked where it usually is and there are lines and arrows... in the opposite direction that this race is usually run image (ie, the usual parkrun direction). It looks like they've cobbled together an alternative run as the arrows went up a path that is never usually on the course.

I don't know whether to just do my alternative session tomorrow and race parkrun on Saturday instead now.

Run tonight was fine. Two strides each in mile 3 and 4, one in mile 5.

6.27m, 55:06, avg 8.47

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 9:00(9:00/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:49(8:49/m) - 98cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 96cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 93cal
    7)  - 0.27m - 2:21(8:48/m) - 26cal
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I'd go up to 2000 to start with then and if its still dropping off go up to 2300 and see how you feel. Lucky you to be dropping so easily. I cant live off 1800 let alone run off it image

You could see how you feel tomorrow and decide? I would be inclined to race it now anyway, but it depends if it will affect your confidence re: the direction I guess.

• Options

Asked my friend from that club and he says it's going anti-clockwise, so as long as it isn't galeforce, I'll do it.

Somehow a 5K seems easier than the 7.5m @ MP as an alternative image.

I've just blown it all and had Papa John's tonight. Oh well. If I was underfuelled, that takes care of that image.
    I always seem to sabotage myself just before a race.... I couldn't have waited one more day? imageimage

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you'll do it Kelly - it's the right decision. 
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good luck, kelly! Do you have some target times in mind, i. e. "happy with", "thrilled to bits" or "disappointed"? Although the last one shouldn't really enter the equation if your recent training is anything to go by.

You guys completely lost me on the BMR stuff  image .... but then I couldn't diet and marathon train at the same time without compromising my performance in training. I wish there was a way but I simply have to eat when I feel hungry (i.e. all the time image). I have about 1 kg to get rid off and hope increased mileage will take care of that.

That's why I hate tapering .... and carb loading .... it's undoing all the weight loss from training. Horrid!
  • Options

Well, as usual, a measly slow 3 miles @ 9.08 just now felt very blah, so I'm not sure.

That seems to occur quite frequently and then things are ok during the race, so fingers crossed!

Walking, and looking at the trees out my window, there is only a whisper of a breeze, yet when I started to run, it felt stronger. I suppose you've always got to deal with wind resistance even on a still day.

Conditions seem fairly good. It's a little cool, although a bit humid for my liking. Rain please image.

I'll lay it on the line and say thrilled with 20.30 (although even if could hit that pace, I'd not quite believe I could make it last), happy with scraping under 21 and disappointed with anything over 21.30. Anything over 22 and I'll just not know what is going on!

I have forgot what tapering feels like. I'd probably try to lose an extra lb or two and then when you put it back on through carb loading, you'll be at ideal weight. As you say, very difficult to do when marathon training and already close to a goal weight.

I've been to hydrotherapy with Jack this morning and was hoping to test something Moraghan has mused about, regarding running after swimming helping breathing. I don't think it was chlorinated enough though. I could barely smell any. Come to think of it, I wasn't actually swimming either, just pottering in the pool. My breathing during the run afterwards didn't feel particularly easy.

I wish I had more time later to go to the real pool for 10 minutes. I'll just stick to my usual warm bath, go faster shaving of the legs image, foam roller, some deep breathing and then off - must remember to take some money to actually enter the race!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    ... and dont' forget your inhaler image  Best of luck for this evening!!
  • Options

Thanks. I'm going to take it before my warm up AND before my race.

I feel unusually nervous. It's not even a key race and I have no hope of a pb, I think I must psychologically need a decent performance to move on to the next stage. 

I have faith in my training though so I'm going to race hard and what will be, will be.

• Options
    I hope they haven't changed the course, could it be the markings from the Memorial 10k which goes the same way as the parkrun?
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Kelly! image
  • Options

Don't think so, Martin. That's ages away yet. must be some other chalk happy park users. One of them went off towards Claremont Rd / GNR bridge) at the cross roads. Don't want to be deviating that way.

I asked my friend from Elswick and he said it is the usual route. I ran round the lake last night, it was a bit mucky and bits of earth on the path, but I'm sure they'll clear anything obvious. Should be business as usual.

PFR - thanks. I've got to at least get off the bottom of the WAVA table image.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Good luck tonight, hope you a time that your training deserves image
  • Options

And the verdict is... thrilled image. Shocked, but thrilled.

I can't remember much of it, I just desperately wanted to do well. The starting pace felt pretty comfortable and I was in two minds whether to slow or speed up. I got to 0.5m and decided to push on. I don't think anyone passed me from this point.

I positioned myself a few lines back from the start so knew there weren't many women ahead of me, but don't know how many. I knew there were a few really fast though. First mile beeped at 6.35 and I was image. I think my first mile at pb was 6.28. I had hopes of being able to maintain this, but shortly after 1m it turns through a narrow gate, up a hill on a narrow path and back through another gate.

I was counting on this bit feeling as good as Sat, but as soon as I got through the gate and headed across the moor, the wind blasted me, so I had lost some time over the second mile, but it was still respectable at 6.43.

I had targetted and passed about 4 women by about 1.5m and knew no-one would come by me. I was still feeling quite strong just past 2 miles, but the wind was annoying me. At about 2.5m I had to really dig in. Came off the nice path and the last bit was hard. A few twists and turns and an up slope to the lake, which also felt "up" until the final bend at 3m and 6.38. 

I was really tired but gave it another push and did the last 0.1 at 5.55 pace.

Delighted when I saw my time. I knew I'd be within target, but didn't have a concept of what I was on for and wasn't paying much attention to my watch during the race. I felt strong though and was never really dying on my feet, but that's not to say I wasn't giving it my best effort. As I usually do when racing well, every time I felt like I was slipping I increased the effort rather than gave into it. I was playing various mind games in telling myself just get to x point, or "only from home to the bottom of your street" to go. At one mile I told myself "less than 14 mins to go, that's nothing!"

It did seem to fly by and I felt really good all the way. Nothing worse than getting a mile in and dreading twice as far to go.

I was possibly hampered by the wind - oh and did I mention my lovely cool, overcast day disappeared at 6pm with beautiful blue skies and a warm sun? tut - but also maybe because when I did look at the pace I wasn't sure whether I should be chancing it or not. Now I have this benchmark I can be much more confident next time image. Avg pace 6.37. Still can't believe it! My best since injury was 22.15.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 6:35(6:35/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 6:43(6:43/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 6:38(6:38/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 0.1m - 34(5:55/m) - 8cal

Spookily, I ran an unexpected... 20.31 on 24th July last year and then onto 19.59 off marathon training on the 4th Sept, so I'm very much looking forward to getting on with my training.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Well done Kelly I am delighted your fitness is coming back in bounds (and you get to move u the wava table!). Enjoy your glory - you earned it image
  • Options

Is it good enough to eat the last Easter egg in the fridge? Yes, really, I still have some!

Well, I'm going to anyway.

3m easy to steady w/u, 5 strides with jog recovery (almost 4m when finished) and run home made for 9.26m tonight.

Plus my 3m+ from this morning.

Yes, Easter egg and biscuits I think image.

• Options
    Nice work missy, and more to come image