Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice session Kelly - you shouldn't be that surprised at 7:40s should you, given your last 5K time?

• Options

I do think it is more of a mental thing. I'm quite a few weeks into some really decent training (pace wise), so I think it is just assessing what kind of shape I'm in and knowing whether I'm ok to move it on. It is also slightly affected by how well I can breathe on any given day. Today was better as it was cooler and less humid, but a bit windy and a little undulating, so if it isn't one thing, it is another image.

As long as the next 10K isn't a disaster, I'll have a much better idea of where I am. As it is, my training paces are quite old, because I haven't got any real race results to back things up, but I feel much stronger at this point than I did last year, so you're right, I shouldn't think about it too much.

I think another element is judging how far can I move out of my comfort zone. I mean, the training shouldn't be easy. If I was reporting that every session was perfectly manageable, that probably means I'm not training properly. It's finding that balance between making it count and feeling like a real workout, but not that I'm flogging myself and working too hard. I think today was closer to the mark. 

• Options
    I even had fleeting thoughts of running a bit further at pace, but then remembered I have a really hard session coming up on Friday and in the end the strides section gave me roughly another mile anyway. I lost count though and can't work out if I did 5 or 6 x 100m image.
  • Options

It should have been a nice rest day today.

OH has been away for work since very early yesterday morning until later tonight, so I'm not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to entertain a 7yr old, three 6yr old girls (I never realised how catty girls can be!) and two 4yr old boys today image.

Their friends have gone and I've just shipped mine off to my mam's. I'm not sure whether going to Body Balance or sitting on the sofa with a cuppa (and cake) will win. Probably the latter.

2 more weeks, 2 more weeks...

• Options

Where is everybody? Very quiet these days.

I wonder how the old regulars are getting on these days, Lotte, JEB, Cat Girl, Sue...

Easy run this morning, followed by a hard pilates session (why did he choose today to ramp it up on the planks / ab work), and then physio this afternoon.

He continues to be happy that everything is progressing nicely, no ill effects from the high mileage and we're merely tweaking rather than actively "fixing" something. As ever, the right hip and glute is marginally tighter than the left, but it is in the insignificant category. The first thing he said to me was "have you lost weight??", so it really must have worked.

Speaking of which, I checked today and I'm still 8.3, so have plateaued for the last 2 or 3 weeks? I might start the deficit (smaller than previously) again now as I have 6 weeks to the HM so 0.5lb a week would be great, if it is possible, to take me as close to 8st as possible. The mileage means I don't really have to sacrifice food.

7.05m, 1:01:49, avg 8.45

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:49(8:49/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 97cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 97cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 96cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 94cal
    8)  - 0.05m - 28(8:35/m) - 5cal

I'll be taking Katie out tonight for between 1-1.5m as we're doing the fun run at Middlesbrough before my race. 2 medals on the same day for me imageimage.

I am expecting tomorrow's session to be really hard, which is stupid, because if I can't do 5m @ HMP/tempo, I don't know how I'm going to do 10K next weekend image. (I'm going to do Tuesday's session at goal race pace)

• Options
    Oh and I was a good girl last night and got off my a$$ and went to Body Balance. My thighs were dead after the standing (lunge) track! Who knew standing could be so hard?
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Hi Kelly

No more gym work until after the race, unless it's purely core work which you can continue with up to next Thursday.  You'll be fine with tomorrow's session!  Good news from the physio.

• Options

Excellent! Gets me out of Body Pump tomorrow night image. I only have pilates on Monday and balance on Wednesday, so it is core work, I'm just a wimp image.

Katie did really well, ran the full 1.5m and faster than I thought. She'll easily be able to do the 3K next week. She wants me to take her to Start Fitness at the weekend for some running kit... that's my girl image.

• Options

Aw, since you name chacked me Kelly I thought I'd better de-lurk! I'm still here and following your progress. Always very inspiring reading your training. Its so good to see you going from strength to strength and I'm sure a load of PBs will come your way - when you are finally allowed to race image.

Things are going ok - I'm not injured at the moment which is always a bonus but feeling a bit disillusioned with my running just now. I think I had a foot injury last time I posted? Well that was back in May, I had 4 weeks of no running then 2 weeks back and raced my team half marathon in the Isle of Wight. Ran a 1.33 which I was relatively pleased with given the circumstances. (PB is 1.32) Gradually increased mileage and have built back up to around 65 miles a week. Have a marathon planned for the 24th September. Did a 10k on Sunday  - great to meet Duck and Mrs Doolittle - but had a crap run. 42.06. I was confident of a 41.xx and maybe even a 40 but went off too fast, did a good 5k time and then died. (Splits 6.06/6.21/6.23/7.09/7.08/7.02) So I ran a full 10k with not one mile at 10k pace image . Anyway I feel like I have put in a year of pretty solid training - high mileage anyway, but I haven't really improved since I ran my 3.15 marathon in Abingdon last year. At the start of 2011 my targets were to do a 40 min 10k and break 1.30 for the half. I'm nowhere near either. I really need to tear my training apart and work out where I am going wrong. 

It would be great to hear from the others. I also wonder about Sue. She is a friend on FB but if very quiet, hope things are ok.  Think Cat girl had an injured shoulder (?) last time I heard about her. Hope it mended well.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Kelly have you heard of these races at all http://www.allterrainevents.com/uploads/bref2011.pdf? I might be tempted to do one but there is no indication of whether its accurately measured or what the route is!

• Options
    hi kelly,

all's looking good for GER then. pity YD is out but there will be a few forumites there. PRF is in and hopefully i will be there, injury permitting. what time you aiming for?
  • Options

Hi Kelly, I hope you do not mind me posting a couple of questions but I have been reading along for a while.  I am very interested to find out what changes you see in HR between the runs you complete at MP and the run you complete at around 8.40/m.  Also, at MP do you see much increase in HR between mile 4 and mile 11.

Good luck with the training.

• Options

Lotte - good to hear you are still running well, even though you feel you haven't hit your targets. Those were the two I wanted as well, sub 40 and sub 1.30. Had I not had the stress fracture, they might have been possible later in the year. I'm out of time on the HM, but will put everything into sub 40 for November.

Which marathon are you doing?

Mr V - I hadn't seen anything about those races, very interesting. All Terrain Events organise the Resolution Run on New Year's Day and if it's the same person, he runs for my club. I'll drop him a line, but it says to be ran under UKA rules or something, so I would imagine they'll be fine. You could always do one and if it doesn't come up to scratch, not bother with the others. Definitely stay away from them if they go over the hills like in the RR image.

Dash - As above, if I had another 3 months and had already ran a HM this year, I would have been brave and went for 1.30 or bust. I'll decide nearer the time and see how I get on in the 10K (and a 5K sometime before the day, are you reading this, Moraghan image), and judge how the next 6 weeks go, but realistically I think 1.32 would be a good aim. Had a good session this morning which has given me more confidence.

Kev - I can't help you there as I don't use my HRM apart from the very rare, just out of interest case. I'm sure it is the Ventolin that screws my HR data, but I can pretty much guarantee that my HR will be really quite high by the time I get to the end of the street. It's not like the dodgy spike that calms itself down soon after, but mine stays high throughout the run and by all accounts even at MP I should be ready to drop. 

That has just reminded me, I did use it last on a MP run... let me check the data.

Session - 2.5m easy to steady | 7.5m MP | 5 x 100m strides | cd.

Split Summary
    ====
    8:56 - 161 bpm
    8:48 - 160
    8:09 (0.5m) - 166

7:53 (0.5m) - 168
    7:54 - 1.72
    7:54 - 172
    7:51 - 171
    7:51 - 176
    7:47 - 176
    7:51 - 174
    7:48 - 174

7:57 (strides) - 176
    8:51 (cd) - 160

My max is 193. If I'm getting my maths right, that puts my max MP HR at about 90%! That suggests I'm working too hard, but by effort it is perfectly fine and I often feel more comfortable the further I get into MP - to a certain point.

I often feel quite jittery after my inhaler though, so I'm sure it is a medication thing more than anything. Training to HR wouldn't work for me.

What are you training for and what times do you currently run?

• Options

So, today... 3m easy to steady | 1m MP | 5 x strides | 5 x 1m (HMP/tempo/HMP/tempo/HMP) w/ 60s rec | 5 x strides | cd.

I didn't need to be quite as afraid as I was image. I think back to when Stevie says he finds the HMP/MP or HMP/tempo, alternate for 5 mins, etc one of his most difficult sessions, whereas I have found them quite easy in the past, but alternating 5 miles of HMP/tempo seemed quite daunting.

As usual, a hefty warm up of 3m easy to steady, 1m MP and strides - unless specified, I always run the recovery and due to skewed pace perception of having steadily increased the effort, it usually works out at a further mile at around MP.

5 miles before I've even started, but I quite like that as a) if I can complete my session, that is excellent for replicating to a certain extent the fatigue I will feel in a race and b) it will feel so much easier on race day as I'll not be running 5 miles beforehand.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:53(8:53/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:13(8:13/m) - 95cal
    4)  - 1m - 7:45(7:45/m) - 98cal
    5)  - 1m - 7:43(7:43/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 0.02m - 8(7:25/m) - 2cal

I always run my quality workouts on the same, slightly undulating route, so I can compare results. Easy runs, I just go where I fancy. It always feels windy and there are sections I need to work a little harder, but of course, this is countered by being able to back off. The ups and downs are short though, so it isn't like I'm using disproportionate effort.

Anyway, the first HMP mile felt fairly easy, but I was taking this with a pinch of salt. Moving into tempo and it felt easier, which was most odd. Thankfully the miles seemed to go by quite quickly so I think this helped psychologically as there was never that far to go to maintain the pace - sorry I forgot to mention, there was 60s recovery between each mile and I felt like that was enough time to gather myself for the next effort.

Thanks to the tempo mile, the next HMP mile didn't seem too bad and again, I found myself at the faster range and quite comfortable. My legs felt fine, but I had to concentrate on my breathing. I had expected to be slower from here, but the next tempo mile was again fine and I would describe the effort as hard, but controlled. As I moved into the last mile, I hit an uphill and I seemed to be going nowhere. I was quite confused as when I reached half a mile to go, I visually saw my end point as my usual landmark, but as I approached and saw the distance was out, I realised the recoveries meant I had to keep going. This didn't please me as I had told myself I was mentally done, so I had to dig to finish it.

There were stretches where I thought "Really? I have to find another 30s per mile for my 10K? How?", but on reflection, that's not too bad considering I have an easy week next and can rely on my magic shoes and hopefully a spring in my step from adrenaline image. From a HM perspective, I think I could hold that (my pb pace is 7.13) for some time in a race before I would find it hard.

Split Summary (avg 7.18, recoveries in brackets)

7:15 (8:44/m), 7:04 (8:33/m), 7:14 (7:46/m - not sure what happened with that recovery!), 7:03 (8:37/m), 7:15 (8:26/m)

• Options

I bitched at having to do the strides again image, but was in a bad mood by now due to an incident with a  stupid woman trying to text while holding an umbrella (it was raining, which suited me) and not letting me past.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:04(8:04/m) - 95cal (strides)
    2)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 95cal
    3)  - 0.03m - 13(7:09/m) - 3cal

12.64 miles in total.

Out with the kids after that and can I just say, I love they are now old enough that I don't need to go into the soft play with them image. It was around 4 hours after my first run that I did my second and just did it as recovery. It was still raining. OH had gone out to pick up Jack and still wasn't home when I got back, so had to go around the block 3 times as I didn't want to stand and freeze in the rain.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 9:17(9:17/m) - 96cal
    2)  - 1m - 9:17(9:17/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 9:16(9:16/m) - 94cal
    4)  - 0.68m - 6:16(9:16/m) - 66cal

16.32 miles for the day?? image

Luckily, I feel totally fine, but I'm glad I don't need to go to the gym now.

Sorry, I talk too much image.

• Options
    Hi Kelly, thanks for putting your HR stats in your post. I thought everyone was running marathons at about 60% MHR so it is great to see you performing so well at the higher HR. There is so much written everywhere about HR zones, HR drift, HR training runs etc that it seems difficult sometimes to just get out and run.

My long term goal is to run a marathon where I feel the work I have put in during base training and the 16 week training plan is really being utilised. I have completed three marathons in the last five years and each time let myself down with my training. I am easing back in to running after a break (not sure why I stopped running).

I am currently building weekly back up to a med-long run of 10 miles running 4 days per week. In 9 weeks I will start a 10 week program to get my long run up to 20 miles and increasing the number of running days to 5 per week. I am really looking forward to 2012 and further adding hills and speed sessions to my running. I have a place in the Edinburgh 2012 marathon.

I will keep following with interest. It is great to get snippets of running knowledge from the long term runners on RW.
  • Options

Good luck. I had basically from the end of December until the end of March out with injury (not diagnosed until the end of January), so I would have probably wanted to return to the marathon next year. I feel like there is unfinished business with the shorter distances though - actually, more like I've barely even got started - so it will be at least 2013 for me.

I did 5 marathons in 18 months as a new runner <shakes head thinking about my stupidity>, and only felt like I got anywhere close to a good run on my last one, although that was hindered on the day due to illness. That one was under Moraghan's guidance and the differences in my training were night and day.

I wouldn't even worry so much about speedwork, the fastest I did was a few sessions at 10K pace due to a race and everything else was HMP and slower. That still knocked over 20 minutes off my marathon time and big improvements at every other distance.

I feel that the key ingredients are :

1) Consistent higher mileage of 60 mpw to do it justice. Running, running and more running.

2) Regular 20m+ LSR's not just the 16, 18, 20, 21 progression you see in many schedules, with 2 "time on feet" runs lasting the time you expect to be running on the day. Eventually, they just felt like a 13 mile run.

3) Mid week LR of 12-15 miles. Point two and 3 go hand in hand. The mid week run means to LSR doesn't feel that much further and the LSR makes the mid week feel quite short.

4) Sounds like an obvious thing, but MP running!! If I did it in training for the previous ones, it was by accident. You need to get very familiar with the pace/effort, so you can easily lock into it come race day.

Obviously everyone is different, but I think this made me much more comfortable. It wasn't until 23m or so last time that I felt like I really had to work, compared to 18-20 in the others.

I expect that it will take me years to run a good marathon.

I need to have a discussion with Moraghan soon about how to proceed after I have got the next few months out of my system and achieved some pb's. He's going to love it because I'm basically going to say "tell me what to do/which direction to go to make me the best runner in the long term". I'm open to anything (before I get too old image). I guess that means I won't be doing a marathon any time soon!

• Options
    Thanks Kelly, really appreciate the advice.
  • Options

I think that is where I go wrong. Not enough race pace work. I do one quality track session a week but it is 5/10k pace. The rest of my runs are too similar and average 8.00 - 8.20 whether it is a 6 miler or a 20 miler. I know I should be doing a second quality session a week but trying to fit it in is a bit tricky. Track is a Wed night and LSR is a Sat with Sunday being a rest day. Monday tends to be my midweek long. So should I combine my midweek long with MP work? But the other factor is Monday run is 6am - can I hit MP at this time in the morning?!Thinking though with a bit of juggling of work and now that the twins are at morning nursery I might manage my Monday run mid morning which might help.

My marathon is up here but is only going ahead depending on entries, which we will only know by 11th Sept. I do have a back up option of Abingdon I think. I have done 2x17 milers, 1x18, 2x20 and 1x21 in the last 8 weeks. Plus a 5 miler and a 15 miler in one day 3 hours between (not strictly a 20 miler but the best I could fit in!).I have the endurance and I have a pretty good basic speed but it is the mix of the two I need to work on. To run a marathon without my quads turning to wood at mile 20 would be a bonus!

Kev - I'm thinking of doing Edinburgh again next year. I did it in 2007 and did the half (ex chris Hoy one) there this year.Have a GFA forLondon but toying with the idea of ditching that for the Dee 33 miler in March and then Edinburgh.

• Options

In the end, I just had to sacrifice my club sessions and follow a traditional training week pattern. I do miss the social aspect, but for me, the results are more important (although that's why I go to parkrun and I still see my mates at races and run occassionally with a friend), so it is a question of can you drop it, even temporarily?

I understand how hard it can be to make tough decisions though - for example, it was really hard for me to drop my frequent racing, but it turned out to be the best thing for my progress. It all comes down to what you are targetting. 5/10k pace will help your speed, but as you say it is speed endurance that you need and MP running will give you that and is obviously appropriate for racing a marathon.

Alternatively, you could combine. My MP run usually totals 12 miles with wu and cd, so it is a good start.

I did Edinburgh in 2009 and 2010, both extremely hot, but it was absolutely slated this year - more complaints than it usually gets!

• Options
    My targets for the year also included a sub 40 10k and a sub 90 HM. Hopefully I'll get the HM at the GNR, but the 10k won't be happening. There actually aren't all that many round here, especially this time of year. I ran 40.06 unexpectedly (aiming for around 41) in March. Then there was one when I was unfit in summer (40.45 ish), then a hot, hilly, humid one when I was slightly less unfit (41.xx ish). I probably won't do another until next March now. There is one next weekend that's supposed to be a good course, but I can't fit it into my schedule as the marathon is the A goal.
  • Options

Tantalising. Isn't your HM time only seconds over 1.30 too? I'll bet on you.

I'm going to Leeds for my 10K shot at the end of November. Fast course, typically the right time of year for me weather wise, we'll see if it pans out. That does mean turning my as yet unproven 5K pace into 10K pace though!

• Options
    Yup, 1.30.08!

I don't expect to be in sub 40 shape in November or I'd be tempted to join you. November is a down time month post marathon.
  • Options

Great run today image. Cold, raining... ideal for me. The clear air meant I had no problems breathing and therefore the pace/effort was really easy. 1m to parkrun and 1m back.

Today would have been a great day for racing, well, minus the rain and mud as there are too many sharp corners to do at pace in those conditions.

5.02m, 43:12, avg 8.36

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 93cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:12(8:12/m) - 96cal (oops, took eye off watch)
    3)  - 1m - 8:39(8:39/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:39(8:39/m) - 96cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:38(8:38/m) - 95cal
    6)  - 0.02m - 16(11:53/m) - 2cal

I'm not sure why, but it feels like I've barely done anything this week and I'm already on 53 miles with a LSR to go. Next week is super, super easy, it is going to feel odd!
  • Options

1.30.06 and 40.08 CC2 - that must be so annoying!

Had a good run yesterday. WAs supposed to ba local 10k race but it was canelled on friday due to a very bad weather forecast. In the end the day was wet and windy but not too bad so I did 8.5 miles with 6 miles tempo (6.28 - 7.04mm over a hilly route but wind behind me) so pleased with that. A good way to end my highest ever mileage week - 72.5 miles.

14 miles at 8.30 pace this morning although perhaps not as easy as it should have felt given the first 7 miles were straight into 26mph wind.

• Options

It is pretty windy out there lately. Nice running and nice mileage.

I ended up just under 70 due to a couple of runs with Katie, but it was making me twitchy. I so wanted to just round it up to 70, but figured I'd get wrong image, especially as Moraghan specifically cut a few miles. Katie's runs were more like recovery though, 10m/m - she's faster than I thought.

14 miler for me yesterday @ 8.39, which felt good. 

3m recovery @ 9.17 this morning, followed by pilates (don't know why he is suddenly so sadistic with his planks and hard work, it used to be quite a gentle session to look forward to!) and I have another 3m recovery later.

I should have no excuse on Sunday that my legs are tired as I have it pretty easy - my longest run is 8m image. A short 10K pace session tomorrow and a 5K pace on Thursday and 2 rest days throughout the week. I'm spoilt image. Also, the last week of the school holidays, I'm really pleased I've been able to complete all my training as traditionally August is a write off/compromise. It has meant sacrificing my sleep, but I've been in bed by 10.30 all last week, whereas it is usually 11.30 - 12.

So, we're into race week and I can begin my obsessions image. No, it is not one to overthink. I'm really looking forward to it, but please, please, please, please don't be windy like it has been, otherwise I'm stuffed. I'm confident I can pb, so I have 42.28 to beat. As usual, I'll have a rough time in mind to aim for, but I think because it is so long since I raced a 10K (forget the June disaster, that didn't even qualify as a training run!), it will be difficult to get right. I'll likely go out hard and try to hold on as the course has a slightly tougher second half.

I was 10th woman last year, but started some way back and was clueless about position, so I'm going to try to be more aware this year, go further forward and attempt to race for places if I'm capable of it by the end. I'm doing the 3K with Katie earlier, but that will just form a very early part of my warmup.

• Options

Another 3m, also at 9.17, ha.

I showed up for the second pilates session at tea time as he said it was going to be more of a stretching one (and Thursday's class isn't happening), but it was only me image, so it was cancelled. Other people must have more of a life.

What do people think about whether there is any difference in male/female running shoes? I can pick up a pair of Boston's at a bargain price, but they are mens. Might be worth a chance and hope the sizing is the same? I need to decide today as there is an extra 10% off until midnight. How come the lightweight shoes are so expensive these days? You used to be able to get them pretty cheap image.

• Options
    More of a life = a life image.
  • Options
    Womens shoes are usually lighter than mens of the same size. Often also slightly softer and sometimes the last is a different shape.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Whereas with the lunar racers the mens are lighter and more comfortable for some reason...

I have wide feet so tend to buy mens as they are generally cheaper, like all shoes though, fit matters first image