Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good point Aley. Track has to be quicker. Not sure how much though,
  • Options
    The Bus said:

Marstons? You're showing a fine Pedigree :-)

Philip - looking at the results, it seems a few V50s had eyes on the rankings too!

SG!

Yes, looks like we have 1,2 and 3 in thr UK rankings from the same race
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice one SG. Shame the rounding was up rathehan down, but at least its easy to remember :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Eh? What's going on - posted that hours ago, but has just appeared now?

Good place to be Philip as we are now in the last third of the first quarter of the year :-)

Is Ealing a fast course and how were conditions today? Quite breezy in these parts....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Weather ended up being fine. A light wind, which strangely i thought about more on a warm up lap.

The course has a sharp bend 5metres in and has the v slight descent in the first section and the climb from half way. Undulating by mile standards, nothing by longer distance.

The finishing straight, as per earlier looks shorter than it is, so you probably take 20secs at my pace to do it.

MIght be interesting to do the Westminster mile in May. I think that's staggered in like for like ability races and bound to be less fiddly bends in places. Got to be worth 1 second!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's all you need ;-)

• Options
    Nice miling lads! Fast stuff SG! 

CC82! Great news! Hope you can run on it and then have no reactions! 

Soton Parkrun (5th) + 2 x 5:00mins off about 1:45 after 

17:06 and then covered .9 of a mile for reps (5:33 ish pace)

Pleased with the improvement from only two weeks ago and had a lower HR -% 

Also signed upto soton 10km end of April but speaking with coach today I won't be running / training specifically for that, our goal is heading towards track and 3/5km or lower and work on speed this year, winter for endurance and then see what happens if I can string a year together original style 

long term 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    The Bus said:

Is Ealing a fast course and how were conditions today? Quite breezy in these parts....

I'd say Ealing is fast if you are on the front row. As SG says, there is a bit of a start and stop over the first 5 metres or so, then you can get going. The first half is overall downhill so it encourages a fast start and then you have to just give it all you have over the second half so I reckon it wrings pretty much everything out of you which is what you need to do over a short distance. 

in 2014 I did it a few times and my best was 5:23 and within a few weeks I did 5:17.50 on the track so it is maybe 5 seconds slower than  fast track / road course.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Philip.

Good work Scott!

Anyone done Ludlow parkrun? Looks a bit of a beast! I'm staying quite close to it next weekend....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

The mile that Ealing put on is a nice quick run out, but the half marathon is their main year event.

It starts in the same park, and I can't quite envisage where or how they cram so many runners in, even seeing the photo.

Reading about it, they have 700 volunteers apparently! Must be one of the reasons they've won some award for "best" half marathon for 3 years in a row. This year they have the Great North run to compete with (!), along with the Burnham Beeches half and others.

I guess Burnham need to actually get their race on to have a chance :)

Winner of the Ealing half last year did an insane 1.04. Which would be quicker per mile for 13.1miles than I managed yesterday!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    And if they run sub 59 for the Paris half tomorrow, which is on the cards, that will be sub 4:30 all the way round! A sub 2 hour marathon, which we are getting closer to, is something like 4:33/34. Puts our little efforts into perspective!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

It's certainly why I generally try not to follow the top end too much.

Am much more interested about the realistic local level scene!

• Options
    Does anyone follow Callum Hawkins on Strava? Training run, 11 miles at 4:51 average pace. 48:25 for 10 miles. I know he is never going to get the same cult status that Mo does but a great runner and ambassador.

https://www.strava.com/activities/884791316

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's the famous Downle C&B - he's trying to finesse the detail!

48:25 10M in training - sheesh!

Hey ho.....long run for me today. Original aim in the run up to Fleet was to do this one as a 15 fast. Given the last 3 weeks, I amended that to 15 hard! Anyway 15.4 and two big hills done at 7:09 pace. It was 7:04 at 12.4 miles, but then I had to go up Amersham Hill! Hip was absolutely fine, adductor was a wee bit sore and I felt sick for the first 8 miles, but happy enough with that (and even the rain kept off!).

First 50+ week for a while.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Just been studying the Trafford 10k results. I think there will be a lot of pleased people, not least one thread contributor. Hope the course is accurate this time!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Excellent mile work there SG, but I'm afraid road rules are that you always round up. So go quicker next time! Still, great to get back in the PB and race win flow, and track is certainly quicker.

Promising stuff from Scott and CC.

Slightly odd Hampshire League XC race yesterday, managed my highest ever finish in the league, but still came away a bit disappointed. Was top 10 much of the way round, but got overtaken on the penultimate corner and ended up 11th, which was annoying. Was much closer to the winner than usual (less than a minute), largely because the really fast boys like Alex Teuten or Jonny Hay weren't there. Numbers were down generally, as it was the last fixture. Unsurprisingly, given the National last weekend and that I trained straight through the last 2 weeks, I had little power in my legs, which on a hilly and muddy course wasn't ideal. Still, solid if unspectacular. Will reign it in this week to try to have something left for the inter counties.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're really smashing those races at the moment Dachs! Take it you're not 90mile weeking it too? Make hay while, the erm sun (doesn't) shine type scenario?

ps does track round down then?

Good 15 Bus. I had a look round some of the big half marathons, and they're all full, which stops me getting foolishly tempted.

Stepped out of the house today, and a lot of rain and overcast, and I was thinking, yeah, I'm not sure I fancy this, let alone working hard for a half marathon!

I try and limit my use of the over ear headphones these days to just long or track stuff, as they just can't cut repeat use.

Latest pair went on 4miles today, buti bring the in ear ones too these days. Except I had to waste a miserable 30secs trying to untangle the whole mess and switch :)

Later on, I could barely feel my fingers, and trying to get the ear buds back into the ear was hard work

The run? Decent out and back to Little Marlow. Just sneaking 6.59 pace for 13.5miles for an OCD ruining week of 59.5miles.

Most miserable conditions for a fair while. Strange how very rarely you get rain early Sunday morns really.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Track gives you the hundredths of a second as the official result (or the tenths, depending on the timing). But the rules are that road races are rounded up. It's why you often see road results on po10 sometimes temporarily listed as not complying with UKA rule something or other, cos they've been listed with fractions of a second.

Yep, this week has been a 90 miler. Comfortable 16 at 6:30 pace this morning to round it off.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly take a lot of breaking! Or even having any real niggles!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good work on the mile SG, shame about the 5.

Nice XC showing Dachs. 90 mile weeks means you are probably beyond my annual 2017 mileage by Thursday.

Good to see you're getting back to full flow Bus and just in time for Fleet.

I'm giving myself a week to start running before deferring Reading HM, I checked to see if I can transfer to SG but sadly the rules don't permit it.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good decision Reg. I know you're a guy who managed to sub 3 a marathon off jack all training, so a different make to some of us who overdo prep if anything, but there wasn't much to gain from you doing it.

Presumably they do allow a defer? Big races with huge price tags should do, or they're inviting tonnes of unofficial number switch shenanighans, or worse still ill/injured people really rucking themselves up.

I got a pal into Reading the last time I did it. But he was just happy to complete it, and wasn't going to be affecting any records/categories, or even know that PO10 keeps a record, let alone like some of us, it being one of the key aspects!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    good work from the milers at Ealing ( and pb for sg)   I haven't raced a mile on the roads but not sure I would like it. I like the mental approach of laps so I can know exactly where I am.  
    Decent xc Dachs but rest those legs for inters.  
    Smart decision reg, chasing races when injured only ever ends one way unfortunately. 
    Pmj - I think Callum is already a bit of a hero with fellow athletes but the general public will need to see medals.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Anything to report from Trafford, Dean?
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Piss just lost the report! Back in a min.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't planning on racing Trafford after the disaster last week at the nationals and the fact I haven't done any 10k sessions this yr.  but as the parkrun was cancelled on Saturday and my sons football cancelled on Sunday I figured I would do Trafford at the last minute.  Worst case scenario is it will still be a decent tempo even if I fade badly.
    the weather is shocking, about 4 degrees, windy and heavy rain.  Absolutely freezing once wet and I couldn't feel my fingers at the start.
    original plan was to out at around 33 pace and hold on as long as I can but I spot a few local rivals and some top class v40s and my mind set changes to fuck it...I'm just gonna race it and when I fade....I fade.

start is narrow and the road has loads of potholes, I almost slip twice but thankfully no drama. Loads of pushing and shoving, its more like an 800!  I have to show my elbows to some joker behind to ward him off pushing me again, whilst at the same time shove slow markers in front clearly out of their depth.
    first mile 5.05. And I spot a mate who has plenty of 69 halfs and is a regular low 32 man so I sit on his shoulder.  Mile 2 is 5.14,  I must be in about 150th such is the quality of the field.  A local rival and mate passes me and I respond to put a burst in to give me some daylight. mile 3 is 5.21.  Uh oh.  I'm fading.  Through 5k in 16.16. So not bad.   I fear the fade and my lack of specific endurance training recently but decide to at least get 1 more fast mile out, treat it like it's  the last.  I fly past my mate who I was following and start racing random individuals.  Mile 4 5.07 but I feel ok.  Maybe mile 3 was just a lack of cencentration?  I now race any random I can and I'm making good ground.  No fade yet! Mile 5 was 5.12.  I figure if I can push out this last mile hard the last 0.2 will take of itself.  I'm feeling strong. No hint of fade and I'm motivated.
    i spot a local mate, who I told Dachs about who finished 111th at the nationals.  He is about 60m ahead.  I'm laser focused on his back.  I'm racing him alone.  Annoyingly the last mile is twisty including a hairpin turn which in this heavy rain you have to take slow so not to end up on your backside.
    im working hard and Im closing.  I know if I can get his shoulder He will relent as I have always out kicked him.  But I can't get there. Mile 6 was 5.05. I spot the finish and I'm only 15m or so behind. I find more acceleration and a tight turn into the last 50m and I'm flying.  A mutual mate of ours sees us flying in and shouts you got him deano and I pass with about 5m to spare. Crossing the line in 32.05.  Result! Very happy a 7 sec pb.   The 2nd 5k was faster in 15.49. And I closed the race out in 4.40 Ave pace.

96th overall and beat some top chaps like c. greenwood, G. raven and Jonny d ( if the results are to believed) this time is currently 2nd in the v40 U.K. Rankings.  
    Most pleasing thing was how I battled and found my mojo again.  I wish I had trained for this as I think I could have smashed a time out but maybe next time.  Things looking rosy for the summer now.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report, and run, Dean! I see you were first in the age group, despite what it said earlier in the results. Quality field! One of the uni guys I know quite well was 43rd...in 31 dead. Gareth R is a decent scalp! I noticed that there were 20 girls below 6 minute miling!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Cheers ale.  Just been told the guy originally given 1st v40 today was a number swap. So I'm sitting pretty as 1st in the U.K. rankings. Won't last but then I run only 1 10k a year so it's not my speciality.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good news, Dean! Perhaps you should do a few more this year!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Not your speciality :)

you can make it that in a few years when you've exhausted the track gains ;)

ideal to pb, and to hear that time is 96th is absolute madness!!