Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just cheekbone, nose, ankle, ribs (3 occasions) and thumb for me on the bones front, but a severed tendon was worse than any of the breaks. Need to learn AG's skills to identify in advance via sweeping generalisations which car drivers will do what crazy things! As you go past sideroads it must be great to know from a quick glance which drivers are likely to ignore a 'give way'. Latest episode has got me thinking like Ric that the roads are just too dangerous for cycling most of the time; there are lots of injuries people get running too, but they are far less likely to impact day to day life. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Pete. You can get hit by pure accident anywhere and by anyone, but when you're on a flimsy piece of metal sharing space with heavy metal vehicles at speed, relying on the driver being competent, it seems pretty high risk to me.

Like we look back at old people saying they "never realised" there was a risk with smoking in the old days, i'm pretty sure that one day people will be shocked at the idea of people driving cars, as it'll all be self driving, press a button to load it, and it'll all be ultra safe (after years of horrible messed up goes at getting it right)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    Just cheekbone, nose, ankle, ribs (3 occasions) and thumb for me on the bones front, but a severed tendon was worse than any of the breaks. Need to learn AG's skills to identify in advance via sweeping generalisations which car drivers will do what crazy things! As you go past sideroads it must be great to know from a quick glance which drivers are likely to ignore a 'give way'. Latest episode has got me thinking like Ric that the roads are just too dangerous for cycling most of the time; there are lots of injuries people get running too, but they are far less likely to impact day to day life. 
    You say that tongue in cheek Pete but I have avoided two collisions in the last two weeks, the first was exactly as you described, and I had to accelerate onto the other side of the road, narrowly avoiding contact. I actually moved out an extra metre beforehand just in case, based probably on the speed the car was approaching the junction, this gave me the room I needed to avoid the car driving straight at me. 

The other thing is that I always expect everyone to do something stupid, not just those that fit the profile.

I have been knocked off twice so I am obviously not claiming to have any unusual skills. Just merely describing what most of us probably do subconsciously. Some accidents are obviously unavoidable and we can't cycle around like ninjas all the time but we do need to compensate for the more mentally challenged in order to survive.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Agree totally AG with expecting stupidity from drivers and do the same myself, especially at roundabouts and when waiting at lights where cutting up cyclists seems a hobby for many. Its just the predicting the incompetence level from the driver and type of car I can't really do. Obviously if its a really old dear or a super fast sports car you can form a view, but for most and in the timescales there is little I can work out. From memory of a thread a few months back many of us on here who run and cycle pretty fast drive basic and not very powerful cars. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cycling around like Ninjas sounds dangerous - especially at night! Mind you, you see plenty who do! I blame Rapha....  personally my strategy is to make myself as visible as possible and assume all drivers are out to kill me :-). One group who do, unwittingly, cause an issue are the nervous drivers who sit behind you and don't overtake when they have a chance, thereby causing a queue of frustrated and impatient drivers behind them, who then blame you and drive like imbeciles to get past!
  • Options

Leg a bit better today - wore my Adios to work instead of the older relatively clumpy Glide Boost. They're newer and you can tell. Ordered some new Glide Boost from Start Fitness, £65 was the cheapest I could see anywhere, should help hopefully.

Don't think I have broken a bone 'officially' - although I'm sure I broke my little toe playing football on Sandbanks beach when I was a kid.

Dachs - good time analysis on the xc, I agree you should have been sub 150 really based on your half time. Ellliot at LBAC ran amazingly to be 83rd on the weekend, think he has done 71.11 for the half. Horses for courses though, as you say..

• Options
    Got a goon cyclist at lunchtime: narrow path with 4 bollards (2 then an offset gap and another 2) at the end with big "No cycling" signs. Twat on a folding bike cycling with one hand and talking down a mobile phone with the other clocks me and aims for the gap and ponderously cycles through. Felt compelled to shout loudly down the phone to explain the situation to whoever he was talking to and didn't resist the urge.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's  nothng quite like a ferocious burst of shouting with no warning to make the point :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

To be fair, a folding bike doesn't count as cycling :-)

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've just noticed that some of us are rocking three stars, but possibly not those with the most posts.

Maybe it's possible, with a cunning slight of hand, to fold the bike as he's riding it along?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It is - a little birdy told me...

Left work early tonight and had the pleasure of running home in daylight for the first time this year!

It's a funny old game. After yesterday's run, I almost felt like jacking it in, feeling slow, battered and bruised. Forced myself to do a double 6 today, and whilst hardly outstanding, both felt OK and were actually enjoyable.
  • Options
    bus, I see on Strava you are running double doubles again, is that a Garmon on each arm to double the total?
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nope - genuinely running everything twice :-)

Actually, it was because Strava had that Amazon server related fit just as I was uploading them on Tuesday, and they never uploaded automatically, so I did it manually yesterday only to find it caught up with me today! Deleted now though....
    The bizarre thing with Strava duplicates though, is they never give exactly the same time!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

You strava boys!

Strange day tomorrow. Day off work, so a nice lie in, then a 2 hour round trip for around 5mins of running hard.

Probably a more sensible way of doing it than the fun and games last time though!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Let's hope it is less than five minutes running, SG!

And what do the three stars mean?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good luck SG - 4:XX please!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Pete! I would take her to court of course with the witnesses etc you have a solid case. Lucky to be alive is a good way to think about it, BUT you have still come off bad and it should not happen at all! 

Tuesday I was off as it was Mia's birthday, I wanted to cycle as it was so nice outside but literally have worries about not seeing her again getting killed. Twice been in pretty bad ends and such a shame to be 'scared'

All the best for a quick recovery

Alehouse. Very interesting. I think with some new shoes I will avoid them and get my feet checked out. 

22:44 for 4 mile tempo tonight. Coming along ok. HR good for 90.5% and past 5KM in 17:29 opposing to 17:17 Parkrun at 93.6% under two weeks ago. 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Firstly - Pete, shit!  Speedy recovery mate.  (I did laugh at Reg's comment about parkrun / 10k double... ;) )

Puts my knee niggle related depression into perspective.

We do appear to be dropping like flies on this thread at the moment.

Good to see Scott and Phil putting in good months though.  And from following Matt on Strava, I know he's put in a cracking month too.

My February stats will be shit, so I'm not even going to bother looking.

Positive news though is that I saw the physio on Tuesday night and he seemed to think the IT band was definitely looser than previous, but the tightness I was experiencing now was more in my quad.  Because of the lack of progress with actual running he suggested "running through it".  Never thought I'd hear a physio say that!  Instead of just going for 20 minutes, he said to go for 40 minutes - worst case scenario would be my knee swelling up.  So, that's what I did yesterday.  Ran from the house for 20 minutes, turned and ran back.  Could feel the knee at about the halfway stage, but not too bad.  It then eased off and I ran a comfortable average of 7:08s for 40 minutes.  Glorious.

He said to not run on consecutive days at the moment, so I went out on my bike this morning instead.  I'll try 50 minutes running tomorrow.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice CC - always good to get a supportive physio!

Work interrupted my planned 8-10 today, so squeezed in 5.5M with a couple of mile efforts to test the hip and my fitness, aiming at sub 6. Hip held up just fine, not sure about my fitness or the recurrent adductor or back though - both of which hurt!!! The first of the miles was slightly uphill but should have been doable as a 6, but even working very hard I could only squeeze out at 6:04. After a half mile jog, thinking about how shit it all was, I was relieved to find the 2nd mile came out at 5:45 - slightly downhill, but much more acceptable. Still a lot of work (and recovery) to do in the two weeks between now and Fleet Half.

• Options

Ha ha CC - Sounds like a great physio! I'm annoyed today as it's a little bit worse today, so up and down. Although don't ever talk about an IT band being tight (especially within earshot of my missus!) it's her bugbear as the IT band is always tight - otherwise you go very bandy legged! - See how I have got the message from her....

With you on cycling Scott - just not worth the risk.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's my problem SC - my legs are very bandy.  If I stand up "straight", heels together, there's about 2 inches between my knees!  If I wasn't bandy-legged, I'd be at least an inch taller.
  • Options
    Ealing Mile at lunchtime. 5:43 was called out, happy to get an official sub-6 on the wall. SG did not have any heart failure, I am sure he will report in detail later.  
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Do I spot a couple of fatuous clichés appearing as auto signatures? ;)

Nice work on the mile Phil.

I've had the same chat from my physio about the IT band's being tight for a reason. I also have bandy legs. Not much chance of my knees knocking.

Good to hear you getting back to it CC. I am feeling pretty positive about my chances now, maybe even inthe next few days.

Good work on the quicker miles Bus. Have you got a target for Fleet?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nicely done Philip. Thanks Reg. Sub 1:20 was the target. Not sure that remains realistic now though, having bolloxed up three of the key 5 weeks run-up!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

(sorry for the paraphrasing Ale by the way :-) )

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wait until you are past 63, Bus
    And other pints are available. Holts this evening. Then Marstons.

And well done Phil. Is SG still warming down?

76 minutes off road today: dressed for the rain which did not arrive until after I had finished. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Marstons? You're showing a fine Pedigree :-)

Philip - looking at the results, it seems a few V50s had eyes on the rankings too!

SG!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Looks like SG may be writing a very long report!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stress free trip this time, mixing driving and the tube. Got there with plenty of time, and was as always pleased to see young Phil.

Couldn't spot any obvious super fast guys on the start line, but we all know you can't always judge.

However, I knew no one was going with me after about 50metres, so just concentrated on staying consistent, and not checking the watch. Last time I'd discovered that a shape of 8 course over a small park is not good for accurate mileage and thus current speed!!

I got to the last straight with about 20seconds to get under 5, and for a moment thought I was going to smash the doors off 5.

However, those seconds quickly pass, and I tried a long DIP for the line.

4.59 (loud) xx(quiet) comes the guy's verdict

Yes!.........

But that'll be rounded to 5.00

:D:D

So a nice runout,  a pb, my first for 4years, (although clearly from a 2nd go at a distance!) and a race win (by 27seconds from 2nd)

Didn't stake my outright claim for Phil's stat about fastest V35-39 over a mile in 2017  but can join the other 2 in sharing it.

Datchet results geezer says i'm 3rd in their records now, behind a 4.58 (possibly catchable?) and a 4.42, impossible to catch.

(Again, understanding it's not as oft raced as other distances)

Nice day out

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done SG. And don't rule out 4:42, on a track.