Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great run Dean. Conditions didn't look great at all either. How has the course been extended? Is it at the start. It's usually manic on that first stretch of road. 

I spotted Jonny D in the pictures in the lead group and then saw him well down in the results.
    I was also surprised to see C.Greenwoods name in the results as he did 20 mile at 6.05 pace the day before according to strava and he said he wasn't doing Trafford. 

Started with a cold early last week but carried on running through it. Wednesdays medium long run was a right ball ache so had 2 shorter days thurs/fri but still felt like shit. Decided to miss Trafford and see if some faster running was doable at the parkrun. My legs had gone after a mile or so but ended up with 16.58 and clear of second by 90 secs or so. Wasn't pretty mind you and it confirmed that Trafford would've been a disaster.

Headphones at any event whether its a parkrun or not should be banned. Back markers strung across the path through the last mile or so which is a pain and all get directed to keep to the left. I must've shouted at least 5 times that I was passing but one bloke couldn't hear so I pulled his headphones out on the way past. 
  • Options
    Rickmansworth had their first parkrun on Saturday. 456 runners for an inaugural event!

I just looked at the runners, the average number of runs per runner was 46.55. 22 runners had more than 20 parkruns under their belts, 61 over 100, 130 had 50 or more.

Anyone fancy a run around there one Saturday over the next few weeks when the numbers return to normal?
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Wow Dean.  That's awesome racing!  Well done!  And a superb time.  Clearly more to be had at 10k if that became your focus!

Bugger all from me this weekend.  Was hoping to get out for another run and cycle but youngest (9 months) has horrific chicken pox so it was a weekend of looking after her and getting no sleep whatsoever.  I'll pop out for a run at lunchtime though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil - inaugural parkrun hunting is still a thing! Henley will be interesting if they ever get it going...has been years now and still not up and running.

ML - sort of agree, in that headphones and races shouldn't ever mix, but parkruns bill themselves as an all in sort of mix. Headphones, prams, dogs, all sorts of nonsense. So i'm afraid it's the risk with a lapped event. The types you describe probably didn't even realise that some people are in it for a proper race, or that they were blocking you.

Change from my almost set in stone 6&4 today. Merged into a shorter single, of 8, and then a 9am dentist followup. Crown job!  Very fit, teeth of a 90 year old! I blame those fizzy drinks years back. Don't have many now, Lucozade was probably one of the worse, like pure enamel burning material. Yet didn't half give a lift when needed!

• Options
    Awesome running Dean! Such deep quality!!! 

Dachs - Great job in the Hants League. Even with big names I tend not to "count them" as being either GB or top top class they will likely be in the top few at any league across the UK. Teuten of course coming into form and finishing 2nd at the Nationals. Tidy 16 miler! I did 4 at that pace today and is was not comfortable! 

Saw him and Mahamed running  6 x 5 mins on grass down the sporty a while back. Someone reported 4:40 pace maybe quicker

Still getting in some consistency here. My "long run" is capped at 10 miles and other runs between 4-8miles in the week 

Sat and now planning in for a track season and 1st track race. 3,000m on April 19th. No idea of goal time yet as will see how training goes. Based on my current 5KM it equates to 9:44. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work on the XC Dachs, especially in a 90 mile week.

Dean - you are astonishing! Can't help but wonder what would happen if you ever targeted a 10k and half!!!

I'm with you on the headphones Matt - parkrun or no parkrun!

CC - sympathies, as Chicken Pox can be pretty nasty, especially in little ones, even though people tend to think its a good idea for them to get it early!

What's the Ricky course like Philip? Not too far away.

SG - I've got my dentist appointment tomorrow. Hygienist too, so big bucks to shell out no doubt!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Awesome Dean, an untargeted low 32 in poor conditions, when last weekend you were so nonplussed with your condition that you binned off the Inter Counties.  Those surprise performances are always the best, and a great V40 position into the bargain too.  Think we need to run some kind of prediction contest on who breaks 32 first on the thread, as there's a few of us thereabouts.  You're in the driving seat at the moment, and probably just need a good day to do it comfortably. 

Ah, hygienists.  I've been in a constant cycle of hygienist appointments, they keep telling me to floss and I keep not bothering.  In the last few weeks I've started doing it daily.  Christ it's boring.

Solid parkrun Matt.  Lapping people strung out all over the path is incredibly frustrating. 

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I'm going to go from 36:11 to sub 32 in 2 months.

Managed a run of 6.8 miles today.  I've decided to start running without ever looking at my watch (let's see how long that lasts...).  A couple of hills in the mix today and it came out at 6:52/mile.  Didn't expect that.

Can still feel the knee a bit but it's vastly improved.  I won't run any consecutive days this week, so hopefully get a spin on the bike tomorrow.

• Options

Breaking 32? You can count me out of that one, I'm well down the pecking order for that - but at least I should be getting some fitness back.

Dean - where to start - amazing time in those conditions. I went through 5k in the BUPA 10,000 in 16.15, but always run out of juice in the last 2k. Still don't really now what your best distance is..if you actually have one! Dachs - superb result in the XC too, Hants league is pretty strong so that is a really good placing. You will do well next week, the missus will be team managing for Beds, but I'm with the kid in London for the day. Think my best at the inters was 134th. Good mile and PR from SG and ML/Scotty. SG - Westminster is ok, but quite wide, need to find one around country lanes!

So did 7 x 1 minute road efforts Saturday morning and then donned the new Glide Boosts for just under an hour yesterday, makes such a difference with new trainers. Still got a bit of Piriformis niggle after 35/40 mins, but I think it's getting there. Back on the proper double commute 13 mile job today, not done it for 3 weeks now and I can tell!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    If you think flossing is bad Dachs, I have to floss one lot of teeth, then use a range of 3 sizes of inter-dental sticks dipped in some fancy gel every day or all my teeth will fall out  - apparently! What gets me most about the dentist though, is at every check up she asks me how much I drink and then tells me to drink less! My dentist is overweight, but I'm yet to tell her to eat less and exercise more.....
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice 10k Dean and a PB to boot, did that include a shit on the way round because that would be impressive.

I bought a pack of these toothpick/dental floss things a few weeks ago, 50 in a pack and there's still 49 in there. I find multitasking in the shower is a good way to do boring things like tooth brushing.

Got my x-ray results, just said there's nothing obvious wrong. I have asked for a referral so doctor is calling tomorrow and I will go private to get a diagnosis,

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    cheers chaps.  dachs i doubt i will run another 10k this yr so i expect you or matt will break 32 first.    i will break it at some point but the problem is i never prioritise the training for it.  Im focused on the track for most of the yr then the remainder seems like base work/XC type strength stuff.  Maybe next winter i bin off XC and focus on a spring 10k or half.  but then im drawn to train for an indoor season too.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the dentist. I saw one in 2001 and one in 2012, maybe go again in 2023 to keep the pattern up. 
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:
    cheers chaps.  dachs i doubt i will run another 10k this yr so i expect you or matt will break 32 first.    i will break it at some point but the problem is i never prioritise the training for it.  Im focused on the track for most of the yr then the remainder seems like base work/XC type strength stuff.  Maybe next winter i bin off XC and focus on a spring 10k or half.  but then im drawn to train for an indoor season too.

I'm offended at how quickly you disregarded my sub 32 attempt.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

;)  actually judging by how well the scottish are running at the moment with muir, butchard, Mccolgan and hawkins...there must be something in the water so you probably will be the next to go sub 32.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Dean: Christleton? Apparently entries are going fast. Sale Sizzler entries now open, also. Good age group prizes including for course records, I believe. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse  - yes just entered christleton.  I did the sale sizzler said a few yrs ago.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Have they sorted out all the dodgy measuring that ruined a lot of these NW races the other year?

I remember Stevie See being gutted to see his sub 17 taken away!

Also remember being glad I hadn't done a mad drive up to do it :)

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yep.  All course remeasured and double checked. The races in the nw are probably the only accurate road races in the uk now
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, Christleton and Trafford were short, but fortunately Sale Sizzler had a different measurer, I believe. All seems to be sorted now. 
    Dean, if you ever want a last minute Sizzler entry I may be able to sort one. I think Gareth R's course record is 15:09, if memory serves me right.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Are the Sizzlers the Thursdays?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sizzlers: Thursday 6th July then fortnightly. On Saleharriersmanchester.com
  • Options
    Going to have to move up north to get a decent race!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, back into tempo fare.
    Took the session tip of either Matt or Scott (apologies, have forgotten which of you it came from!) 
    of the 3-2-1 mile reps session.

So I billed it as 3m MP, 2m HMP, 1mile "faster" with 90secs recovery in between.

Pencilled in 1.29/1.27/1.25 lapping as the 3.

MP  1.26,1.28,1.29,1.27,1.29,1.28,1.29,1.28,1.29,1.28,1.28,1.27 (+6secs)
    (average 1.28)

HMP 1.21,1.24,1.25,1.26,1.26,1.26,1.24,1.24 (+4secs)
    (average 1.24.5)

"faster" 1.19,1.23,1.22,1.22  +2secs
    (average 1.22)

So that went pretty well. Started each part too fast, but that boosted the feeling it was going well.
    Happy with that, 6miles quantity, upping the pace. Ta for the recommendation.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good session SG. Mind numbing, but fast :-)

6.3M of mud for me this morning. Very tired legs from Sunday's long run, but otherwise OK.
  • Options

Good stuff boys. I made a return to Regents pk for the 'nearly a k' 500m slightly down and 500m slightly up rep. Went down through the dirt so makes it a little easier. Was planning 6, but had to do 3, then 500m to the bog (20p!!), then 2 more. Came out a bit better than I thought - 3.03,2.56,3.01,1.28, 3.03,2.54.

I think it must be about 960m. Leg not 100% yet, but getting there, running normally now at least and passing the 'kerb test'. When I have piriformis stuff, I don't lift my leg up properly to get on the pavement, but now I am. Some of you may know what I mean ;) Basically just running normally with no compensation.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice, and seem to be recovering well, but please don't say "came out a bit better than I thought" immediately after telling us you went to the bog :-)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The Bus said:

Hey ho.....long run for me today. Original aim in the run up to Fleet was to do this one as a 15 fast. Given the last 3 weeks, I amended that to 15 hard! Anyway 15.4 and two big hills done at 7:09 pace. It was 7:04 at 12.4 miles, but then I had to go up Amersham Hill! Hip was absolutely fine, adductor was a wee bit sore and I felt sick for the first 8 miles, but happy enough with that (and even the rain kept off!).

First 50+ week for a while.

Bus, not surprised your legs are still shot. The run was way too intensive and damaging. Don't think it's possible to recover from that without de-training in the process.

As for races which are actually races, well done Dean on surprising yourself in the best possible way.
    Those conditions were testing to say the least. That bit where you increased pace because you were slowing down, could have been down to getting a bit cold. There's also the possibility that increasing the pace used slightly different muscle groups which sort of gives you a rest in a perverse sort of way.
    Mike Gratton mentioned doing that somewhere.
    Well done and a great report. It's like being there, but with nil effort.

My training is going ok. There's a plan in place, the details of which will only be of interest if it works. 
    Roughly speaking I'm in an endurance phase. But with faster bits added.

🙂