Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Great racing SG and SC and parkrunning Pete.

And some good miles being put in Ric!

Scott E - really hope your issues sort themselves out.  You've had a rough ride these past couple of years!

Scott P - I did a 20 miler on the track in February. 80.5 laps.  It was a bad idea because I got injured 2 days later and it ruined my marathon campaign...!!!!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lots to read back on so apologies if i missed anything.

Scott - you are a workout hero ;) but only because you arent healthy enough to smash a cluster of races out.  no-one surely questions your dedication, you just need a turn of luck and im convinced PBs will tumble.

Pete - nice work on the park run

Ric - good to see you hitting some good mileage , hopefully you are on the way back

SImon and SG - good work at the master relays.  we were looking to put a team out as we have 4 sub 16 5km vets but we couldnt russle up another 2.  Simon. looking at a mates photo you were just behind a mate of mine, Orlando at the bottom of the sprint finish hill, did you catch him?

Saw Dachs highgate result and await his report but i hope he understands im happy to see those 0.25 secs on his result :)   also agree with PMJ about seeding is important in track races, its better to have a smaller field and keep it competitive.  I like the tent idea and wish they did stuff like this for shorter track races too.

I managed to see a physio and he has cured (i think) my hamstring issues.  my physio is a GB ultra runner Brian Cole (i think Bus knows him) so he knows what runners want to hear. Turns out it was alignment issues with my pelvis causing the tightness and pain.   so last week i upped my training and despite not being sharp i was happy to complete the week injury free.  now have 8 weeks to get race sharp for the europeans in denmark.  Lots of hard work needed and maybe not enough time but im going to give it a go.

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    I'm sure someone said you needed to have a low 32min pb to even get in the field for that track night?
    Looking at one of the heats, there were times of mid 34 down to 36!
    I could have gone along, just based on my last turnout :)
    Presumably the chaps in question have much faster times but it didn't happen on the night?
    Some of those slow times have to be down to bad runs on the night, but others are clearly not justified. Last few guys in the E race have no sign of anything faster than 34 minutes, maybe they are related to universities.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I tuned in to the Night of the PBs on my phone in a Tesco car park, whilst waiting for my wife to do a spot of shopping.  I got to watch Paula Radcliffe get absolutely destroyed at the sack race (she was terrible) and a few people warming up and that was about it.

I've since seen Dachs' result - nice one!  Where's the report though?  I'm hoping it's delayed due to elaborate commemorative plate being designed.
  • Options
    Hi Dean, good to hear your leg is getting sorted now. Nah Orlando did me by 4 seconds in the end, he was 'grey vest' in my report (as in faded black Birchfield vest!). 

Regarding getting in the Highgate event, I think you need to be sub 33 to virtually guarantee getting in. Over 33 then it's a bit more wait and see..better get mine in next Monday. This time exactly!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs is getting too big time for mere reports on the SG thread ;)

Don't worry though, i guarantee a ridiculously long report on the day,however short a race, and however average a performance :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very interesting article that. Would also be interested to see what the results come out like if they go on to take into account the non-static "real world" model, as all those moving limbs flailing about at constant, but interacting rhythms must create some interesting vortices around the "sheltered" runner. Also, presumably if the drafters are much bigger than the draftee, that would reduce drag further.

Mind you, we need to be careful about placing too much emphasis on drag or the elite will be wearing those bloody awful skin suits that creep into sprinting :-)

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Running sub 2 in drag would be more impressive.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

what were you looking at, was someone on your shoulder? or eyes for the finish line?

also Grey vest?? :) 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sorry Dean, missed your earlier post. Good news on the hamstring. That name doesn't ring a bell - might just be having a senior moment though!
  • Options
    Good point Dean. Perhaps it was just grey on the back LOL. Glad for vets relays I look sufficiently old too. And god knows what I was looking at!
  • Options
    Sounds like you're being sensible with the increased mileage Chris and the rolling etc will definitely help to manage the increase

20 miler on a track, I found it bad anough last year when I did a track 5000m ;)

Good to hear the injury troubles appear to be behind you Dean!

30min run this moring, the soleus muscle started to feel very tight again so going to have to build up gradually. Lots of self massage and stretching tonight
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Welcome officially to the thread Chris.  We definitely need some new blood.

Sorry to hear you missed out on the relays Alehouse, that definitely sounds like a bit of an ask.  Did they manage to get a team out in the end?

Great to see Ric smacking out the miles.

Excellent pace on those reps CC.

Sucks to hear more bad news from Scott E, and just when things were poised perfectly for some fast times. 

Nice parkrun Pete, back in the usual bracket of times I see!

SG, always some gems in your report –“i'm almost forced to take him. Keep going and almost ease in…”.  Really conjours up some images.  Strong performance and an even better report.  Glad to see you embracing your advanced age at events like this.

Great stuff from Simon too, and a really solid time.

Reg, some very decent running from you, you’re back on the up.

PMJ, good to see you Saturday and cheers for the cheers.  I should clarify that I wasn’t leading at that point, as the only point that Highgate guy and I were alone together was the last 2-3 laps, and the Brighton guy already had a decent lead by then.  You are right re the lapping issue, the women’s B race was utterly baffling, particularly as in the stands we had decided to back a runner each, purely on the strength of their names, but no-one could tell who was winning.  However, I think the lapping in my race was also confined to the last 3-4 laps?

Bus, hope the adductor is not too much of an issue.  You’ll be glad to know that the only reason I know the word ‘adductor’ is because of your posts, so at least your woes are educational.

Great news (hopefully) from Dean on the injury front.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Right, so you’ll be wanting a report then.

Firstly, apologies for taking my time.  Spent the rest of Saturday at Highgate watching the races, then had a lot on yesterday.  Plus, I was in a foul mood yesterday, so my report would have been peppered with expletives.

On the basis of recent training, I had felt that a sub 32 was pretty much a gimme, and thought that a more ambitious target of 31:30 was justified, and certainly worth having a shot at.  Was happy to be drawn in race D, which had a handful of guys chasing 30:30 and 31:00, and a good group looking for 31:30.  I knew there was a 32 pacer, but expected to be ahead of him.  Simply a question of 5K in 15:45 and then hold on.  Easy-peasy.  There was a nasty headwind in the home straight, but I hoped there would be enough bodies to reduce its effects.

First thing to point out is that my recollections may not be entirely accurate, and if you need a proper breakdown of what happened when, the Vinco Sports broadcast complete with commentary is still online I believe.  A good watch too, I even get a few mentions.

So, gun goes off and everyone tries to settle into a place somewhere in the field.  Two things immediately become clear.  Firstly, if you get 28 guys with pretty much equal ability in one race, that makes for a lot of crowding.  My heels are getting clipped 2-3 times every lap.  People are weaving around and causing all sorts of irritation, or suddenly surging down the right and then sitting in front, more so than in any other track race I’ve been in.  Secondly, it is also clear that there’s no-one here who is going to make a serious bid for 30:30 or 31:00.  The 32 pacer is out front, and this leaves me with a decision as to whether I go off ahead in hopes of a 31:30 and hope some others come with me and don’t leave me facing hitting that headwind alone 25 times and probably imploding, or whether I sit in and try to go for the safer option.  I choose the latter.

First half of the race feels fairly comfortable, but is generally a blur of heel clipping, weaving and suchlike.  Loads of support though, even at this early stage without the venue anywhere near full, and my name is getting called out plenty and not only by my son and clubmates who have accompanied me, but elsewhere round the track too.  Through 5K in about 15:56 and it’s clear that the target here is ‘only’ 31:59.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Into the second half, there is now definitely a leading group of 7-8 forming, and I’m very much in it.  I’m starting to fatigue now, and for the last 8-10 laps I start to get quite a lot of stomach pain (not something I usually encounter when racing).  My mental calculations are all over the place, and I am struggling to work out whether I’m on target or not.  Leading group now comes down to about 5 and I’m still in it.  Just after the pacer drops out, I find myself in the lead for a bit, which is severely testing going into the wind.  A Brighton runner gets into the lead, but he’s no use as a windbreak as he puts in a strong surge that sees him opening up 20-30m in what seems like the blink of an eye.  I’ve no hope of going with that, and I’m at the front of the chasers still hitting the wind.  With 2 laps to go, the maths in my head becomes clear, and I realise that my chances of sub 32 have virtually evaporated unless I can muster the kind of fast finish I have never previously pulled out.  It’s down to me and a Highgate chap as the chasers (see PMJ’s photo), but he gets ahead and I can’t go with him. 

Into the last lap and I need something like a 69.  No chance.  I push hard, and a blue vest flies by like I’m not there.  Grit my teeth and give all I’ve got, but it isn’t going to happen, and cross the line 4th in 32:05.  Everyone ahead breaks 32, so it just goes to show that I could have got there too if I had that kind of finishing speed.

So, little bit disappointed if I’m honest.  I really did feel like well under 32 was in the tank, but clearly I was mistaken.  However, there were plenty of guys who’ve already broken 32 behind me in that race, so maybe there was a wind factor, particularly in the last 6-7 laps when I had no shelter.

In more general terms, my years always seem to follow this pattern.  Peak in February, fall off relative to that peak through the Spring, and then peak again between June-September.  That seems to be the case regardless of how I train.  So, on the plus side, I can usually be confident of a good summer.  On the minus side, there are hardly any fast 10Ks in summer, so my sub-32 ambitions will have to wait until autumn now.

Overall though, a fantastic day to be part of, and the kind of big event feel that is very distinct from anything else I’ve ever participated in.  Highly recommended for those that can get into it.  Stayed on to watch all the remaining races, and the British Champs was top quality, particularly the women’s race.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Well done and unlucky in equal measures Dachs.

A 32:05 in those conditions is absolutely top notch in my book.  Take the wind out of that, and I'm sure you'd have dipped the 32.  Also well done for going and taking it on and leading into that wind.  It's sometimes easy to just lay off a bit and enjoy the relative shelter of another runner.

32:05 is a time that the vast majority of runners can only dream of.  Superb.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Blimey charlie Dachs,you've gone from a chubby lad beaten by me, to presuming a 31:xx track 10k will be a given!
    What a journey!

So impressive that Phil completely ignored all the page or 2 on relays and other stuff to just post your photo!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, Dachs, even if you didn't get what you wanted! Great report! And no, my club didn't have V35 team. It was the fault of some 63 year old, apparently, who wouldn't make up the numbers.

Good news, Dean!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Brilliant result Dachs and very interesting report too (nearly in the SG class ;)). Remember you have 2 Battersea Park 10k's if you want another bash at sub 32 in the summer but I suppose even with the high quality BP standards you can't be guaranteed any company in the race given your new exalted standards. Anyway they are on 24 June and 22 July if you're interested and the starts have been moved back to 8.30am this year, so not as stupidly early as before (only 30 mins before parkrun time!). 

Great relaying SC and SG and mileage Ric and comeback training AG, Dean and Scott P; good times for most of the thread and trust Scott E can at least rely on huge ability to deal with adversity to come back super strong once again.  
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hang on Pete, 8.30 is the moved back time?! So, 8am beforehand maybe? That's a little mad isn't it?
    4 lap job?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yeah, having done the 8am Battersea race last year and been way off the pace, I came to the conclusion that it's far too early for me to run fast.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's asking a lot pre 9am as a minimum surely! Even 9am felt early at Staines!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    great PB Dachs!  how did you find racing on the track compared to road?   i think from a pacing point of view i would prefer it but i get the hump in 3000's with people clipping my heal so 10000 i would probably end up launching someone!  also as said earlier it was very kind of you to to get a 32.05.25   as the 0.25 is the gap between us over this distance now, about a vest thickness.   it a shame we cant get a good fast 10k head to head as our different approaches would blend well...i think working together im sure we would take a big bite out of a sub 32. mind you i doubt i will run another 10k this yr, as i have done my 1 for the yr already :(    Whats next?  drop to get a 5k pb?  must be on
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    8:30am in summer probably a lot better and easier than 8am in winter Dachs; would go so far as to say if you wanted a go at a summer 10k pb might be best racing at that sort of time as the weather is likely to be a lot cooler. Effectively you'd be likely to have the BP course pretty much to yourself though for at least 2 laps till your started lapping people; would make it a bit of a TT. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

8am was a good time - guaranteed to be cool and less pedestrian traffic in the park. Not everyone is able to run that early though!

Good work Dachs - I can only repeat what's been said about the wind effect etc, but as SG said, what a journey you've made in running! Sub 32 is only a matter of time and a wee pinch of luck. Quality report too.

Incidentally - a slightly unlucky weekend the one before for another running planner, Adam Perry. He just missed out on breaking the 20 year old Lakes 24 hour peaks record. Got the requisite number of peaks (78), but a spot of atrocious weather in the last leg cost time and he slipped over the 24 hours by 15 mins in the end. 4th attempt too, and not something easy to just have another go at!

• Options
    Great report Dachs, you were just in front of my mate from LBAC, Elliott Hind. Beating him is a very good result as he is going well. I'm sure you'll get a sub 32 at some road race.

i still think that it's hard to get a 10k PB on the track simply due tomorrow the amount of laps, whereas it should be easier to get a 5k PB on the track due to half as many laps. It's mental toughness and also if you have a headwind down one of the straights, you have it 25 times. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly need to have some sort of mental toughness to deal with the tedium of laps.
    At least in every race you ever do you have the break of a turning, or slightly different setting. I'm sure we've all been racing and thought, please let there be a turn soon!

6&4 today. Often feel a little knackered on a Monday, despite having plenty of rest post LSR!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:

what were you looking at, was someone on your shoulder? or eyes for the finish line?

also Grey vest?? :) 

Interesting race shoes both these fellows are wearing. 
    If they were wondering why they appear to have lost them, I may be able to help.

Dachs, tough on missing breaking 32 minutes. Out of interest, I've never heard you make any reference to hill training.
    It's old information, but once you're as fit as you can be, and have all the leg speed you can muster, there's only one way to get faster. Strength.

sh.jpg 659.5K

🙂

• Options

It annoyed me on the commentary how they kept saying your last name wrong though Dachs. Fantastic run though, even though you thought you'd go quicker, with the peaks you mention in your training it seems you've already answered why you might not quite have got the time you wanted

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    With regards to them saying Dach's name wrong, Scott, I wouldn't worry tonnes about that.

I won't say shame about breaking an arbitrary barrier Dachs just well done on a good run. I seem to remember you mentioning hills once, possibly at Ashenbury.

I had a bit of a mishap this morning, I woke up at 4:58 so decided to go for a run and turned my ankle again. I was t least 4 miles from home and up in the woods so I had no real choice but to run home, albeit slowly.

It's now on ice. It was almost the same as last September which was possibly the start of all my foot troubles. Let's see if I can deal with it better this time.