Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep TR. That certainly doesn't help!
    The only tiny reason for marathon training to me would be the boost i see others get in their times across the board.

But im not sure the extra injury risk would match any extra benefit. Unless really slowing most of the miles down a lot.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - less injury risk if as you say you do more miles but slower, folks get injured trying to run too fast too often within the miles, or race too soon again afterwards.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely. Or build up too soon, which is the classic rookie one.

I could probably tweak my week so that the mileage was the same but i do remember moz saying over 2hr for a long run and the risk goes up quite a bit.

I don't want to be one of those runners who becomes obsessed with one distance and especially London. Have known a fair few of them.

We've mentioned on here about risks of going all in for one race. Where weather or stress can ruck it. Imagine a marathon for either!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah but you'd have multiple choices for Autumn marathons this year S :wink: 

Only 9 TR? That surprises me  :smile:
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Interesting article on why we shouldn't be running hard to drain the immune system at present, written in part by one of my trusted consultant friends who was an international 800 metre runner and GB team doc for both track and triathlon: 
    https://www.athleticsweekly.com/performance/expert-advice-coronavirus-guide-for-athletes-1039929061/?fbclid=IwAR21GAWDsMJGQQtRlb93bV9eUjCkMsRNPfGywi53xL4pR9WI3vat8XF49rc

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Phew - it doesn't tell me to drink less beer, so a  good article :smiley:

9.2 very hill miles this morning early doors. Very nice run and my legs are feeling good right now, with paces resembling what they were a couple of years back.  I'm wondering if it's doing longer runs, doing no doubles or just the fact I'm not running through a swamp the whole time that has made the difference.  Either way, I reckon if I did Wokingham this Sunday it would be a whole lot less horrific!

Fingers crossed we don't get further restrictions :smile:
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    alehouse said:
    Interesting article on why we shouldn't be running hard to drain the immune system at present, written in part by one of my trusted consultant friends who was an international 800 metre runner and GB team doc for both track and triathlon: 
    https://www.athleticsweekly.com/performance/expert-advice-coronavirus-guide-for-athletes-1039929061/?fbclid=IwAR21GAWDsMJGQQtRlb93bV9eUjCkMsRNPfGywi53xL4pR9WI3vat8XF49rc

It took four PHDs to write that? Eat, drink, sleep, don't overdo it and don't hang about with people that might have an infectious disease  :D

I reckon my 4 year old could offer that level of insight.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    On a less critical note, it's good to see everyone still out getting a sensible level of exercise in.

I've taken the opportunity to work on my garden, done a bit of running and cycling but not much and mostly cycling indoors. Oh and arguing with people on Facebook who think the real epidemic is exercise addicts crashing and calling ambulances all day long. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Reckon longer singles are the way forward - particularly for us veterans Bus. I think we need the longer recovery. TR is a perfect example of that strategy paying handsome dividends. The winter of swamp slogging will have done wonders for your strength too so now it must all seem almost effortless.

• Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    One day into furlough and have already demolished my way to episode 5 of series 3 of breaking bad! 
    After that you've got Better Call Saul - all good!

I'm behind the Netflix curve and enjoying Ozarks at the mo. 

If you want a giggle watch F is for Family and Bigmouth.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    p.s. I think you'll enjoy Ultras - bit of Neopolitan naughtiness.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Is that a spin off series? The Saul one?

Probably got another 2-3 days on BB for now.

Today's 10 was 4 easy, 6 steady.

Plenty of wind, but still comfy enough 6.

First and last mile of it at 6.43, middle 4 at 6.34-6.38

Nice zone is steady, big range, probs 6.20-6.50 acceptable. Although sometimes it catches you by surprise as you think it'll be easier than it is, whereas for a harder tempo you're prepared.

Bit of sneezing and sniffing after, obviously opened me up a little!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Noticed Southampton Marathon (and other distances), have postponed from late April to...June.

Seems a bit optimistic. They're already giving themselves an organisational minefield by allowing switches to 2021 or 2022. So imagine the fun if they have to postpone again, for 3-4 different distances, with multi year options!

Eastleigh 10k have a waiting list, as they're rebooked for September.

40 in the list.

Might throw my name on there, as long as it's a simple jot your name down and say yes or no nearer the event. If it's a sign up job, then best not.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Waiting list is actually 22, with 16 of them already fixed up. Sounds like they'll sort people out a bit quicker than I was bargaining for..

Expected a few weeks/months, by which time it'll be clearer if there will be any autumn racing or not!

ps Jools/Bus, it'll be an interesting trial doing single long runs.

Much easier when you have all day free though, and don't have to work it round that minor inconvenience..aka "work" :D

• Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Is that a spin off series? The Saul one?

It's an origin series of Slipping Jimmy, Mike and other BB characters.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the tip off on Eastleigh SG; just added my name to the list and it was very straightforward with no payment or details needed (think you may need a Full On Sport log on though, or to create one if not). There were only 23 on the list and most of those seem to have already been offered a place. They say when offered a place you only have 24 hours to take it, so likely you'll have to take it before knowing with confidence it will even go ahead in Sept, but guess that's worth the risk. 

Interesting thoughts on long single runs Jools and TR; seems to make sense to me. Good to hear you are now going so well Bus; def has dried up loads and about time too :)

Not sure where my current set up sits; still doing a daily exercise with my daughter (tends to be run one day, cycle the next), but now trying to double it up by pretty much doing a solo version of each either before or after, then coming back to the start for her or to see her back safely whichever way round I do it. Does tend to mean the intensity level for me varies a fair bit, much more noticeably on the runs (think when we're both on hybrid bikes our speeds are now pretty close, which is a sign of the times). Managing to do about 15k on the runs every 2nd day and about 40k on the bike so not too bad.

Good article from AW Aley and covered all it set out to; not surprised Reg condensed the advice so succinctly though and its hard not to agree with his summary ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    Thanks for the tip off on Eastleigh SG; just added my name to the list and it was very straightforward with no payment or details needed (think you may need a Full On Sport log on though, or to create one if not). There were only 23 on the list and most of those seem to have already been offered a place. They say when offered a place you only have 24 hours to take it, so likely you'll have to take it before knowing with confidence it will even go ahead in Sept, but guess that's worth the risk. 

In some ways, I should probably leave it, having done it once, with 34:30, which will take some beating!! But it would be nice to get there, and always clashes with the 12 stage relay these days.

So it is a good opportunity, IF it goes ahead!

And if it doesn't go ahead, the 2021 version would no doubt clash again!

I suppose it's basically a £20 risk, so not too bad.

Will probs give it a while, then get on there.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Agree Reg. In almost 20 years of running, I've had to go to A&E once, and that was the day after spiking myself in the eye with Holly. Yes, it could happen, but it's a pretty damn small risk and nowhere near as high as doing something nasty to yourself doing DIY or cooking!  I also don't get all this nonsense about only doing so-many miles or so much time. The key is surely just to not snot over anyone or share any other bodily fluids?  

Apparently the actual "law" doesn't state once a day, or any time limit either. Depends on what you define as essential!

Singles are fine so long as you end up back at home - great for commuting!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ale - ive read a few reports about taking it easy to not suppress yr immunity and also some saying to fo the odd session to boost yr fitness and immunity.

Jools - most kind, thanks.

Jools/bus - ive done spell with commutes in them but prefer the one decent run a day now, given nearly all my running is 8:XX i can do day after day of double digits, but being strong is my aim anyway, the odd bit of temp added in seems to have helped me recently.......i will add that i think anything thats a slight change will give a training stimulus, folks get very used to doing what they usually do and like. If you get an on line coach then the gains come as much from them makung you do what you need rather than like.

Id be vwry surprised if Eastleigh goes ahead, thats a 2000 runners race. Cant see any mass number races this yr. Southampton moved their mara when all the others did, but have no chace of June going ahead. Folks are on lockdown after all, and probably will be for April and some of May.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Re the 1 hour thing, its not a rule, its a figure thats been quoted as an example of an amount of time for joe public to keep fit, Gove also said to do your normal......but again for me its about risk, i could run at peak times along the last couple of miles of GSR course and see masses. At the mo im running before work, on very quiet roads and lanes and see the odd person at the start and finish, i did 6m within 8 or 10 last week in which i saw no-one. I run to the same lanes from home at the weekend, and only see a few people again even if i do a 20plus during mara training. I did 16 Saturday and saw very few people.......i did 10m inc 10x3min today and saw 3 folks in tbe last little bit on the way back to work, and another 2 in the rest of it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bognor 10k has deferred to 2021, i have 4 or 5 races for 2021 already.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Totally agree TR - with everything you've just said, but specifically with the change in training stimulus. We do get stuck in a rut sometimes.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed both the Ozarks and Better call Saul.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I’m currently stuck in a relatively novel rut: daily hilly MT 10M again today. Pushed on the 2 segments again but started too late on the first (so failed to improve) & thought the longer second one finished about 150m after it had, so saved too much for this flatter finale. Still managed to knock 9s off yesterday’s effort & move up to 2nd B)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Might give the Ozarks a try...

Today's big decision - run at lunch or evening.........
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a mad day of sneezing post run yesterday. At one stage 9-10 aggressive ones with ribs beginning to ache 😄😱

Must have been some sort of low level or random almost hay fever or allergy tweak.

Nice sleep usual 10 just done fine.

Bus..earlier the better i find.

(Says me ambling around til 11.30ish to get going!!)
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I see there's a notification list up for the Cabbage Patch now. They aren't opening up entries but it is in the schedule for 18th Oct. I think you simply sign-up to get notified 1st when it's open for entry.

Ticking over here. Managed to stay over 50 the last 2 weeks and will try and stay there. I'm quite enjoying this lifestyle now with the exception of the occasional need to go to the shops which feels a bit life-threatening. 

Got scaffolding up the front of the house so that the sky dish now doesn't work. That's the major issue here right now!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

It's all gone back to the sort of uni days lifestyle - up whenever, bit of a nap, watch a lot of tv etc.

Only difference these days is there's a 10mile run in there as well, and no 1-2 hours of lecture/seminars.

Randomly, saw the Severnbridge 10k/half, have scrapped their half, and put the now only 10k race back a couple of months too.

If autumn does see a racing return it's going to be stacked!

I feel sorry for one of my favourite race organisers - Nice Work. With over 100 races a year, that's a heck of a lot of contingency plans and communication to sort out.

Not as "easy" as it could be either, as while they own the Gosport 5k series and others for instance, a lot of their races they are only partners for, such as Victory 5, with a club being the owner.

So it'd take a lot of wrangling of what race entries can be transferred to others, especially when there is no certainty of what date it'll all re-start from.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I waited until after work today to run hoping to see a bit of sun, i didnt, but it was a lot warmer than it has bern early morning.

Industrial estates are a quiet place to run at the mo.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Loss of Sky at the moment could be fatal Wool!  If you get onto Tescos at midnight you can get delivery slots (that's one job my 18 year old daughter is perfect for :wink:). We've avoided any shops for over two weeks now (not crucial, but my son is asthmatic so I'll keep the risk as low as I can while I can...)

I like early morning runs, but also like sleep :smiley:  Evenings are my favourite, so the decision in the end was easy now its light long enough.  8 miles, hilly off-road of course.  Good form continues - though I was pretty knackered by the end of it!