Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice LSR SG - just keep away from those Holmer Green segments - we keep 'em dangerous to keep away the interlopers :D  

Reg - you have some cahonas that's for sure!!!! 

Real case of CBA today. Got dressed to go for a run at 10.30 and finally got out at 5! Just did enough to hit the numbers for the week - 12.5 to give 45M running, with 35 on the bike yesterday for 55M for the week to hit my 100M target. That's 13 weeks in a row of 100M+ for both combined (avg 115mpw for 15 weeks, but that's with some big bike and low running weeks). Just a single ride for Joe and Reg mind  B)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair play Bus - I've got a heck of a lot of running resolve, but certainly wouldn't fancy a late weekend run like that.
  • Regarding that Bedford Aerodrome course. Pray it isn't windy. The Southern road relays were there a few years ago and it was a joke!

Read all the posts - good stuff all. SQ - No I did the Oct and Nov Serpy 5k, The November one was better, plus a decent few pints with PeteM and Alehouse afterwards. Races and busy pubs (sighs wistfully).

Decent session Saturday at Wrest Pk, 8 x 1k off 80 - came out around 3.15's, 3.08 for the last one. Followed by the first pub bought pint since lockdown started.

This morning, nice run over to watch the kid play cricket in Eversholt, just at the back of Woburn. The last few miles were the start of the Greensand ridge relay leg 3. Usually its stinking hot and I have to run past the cricket ground when the spectators are watching and drinking, so it was nice to stop there for a change. 13.5 miles, 7.05 pace as the A5 is very hilly!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Finest tradition of multi lap relay courses isn't it Simon.

The Gravesend southern relays of 2017 were one heck of a wind tunnel in places. 3 laps too for the long leg.

10 today. Enjoyed some exploring of fields and woods in the middle.

Opposite of yesterday. Expected it to be hot and wasn't really.
  • SC - yes, November of course. I instinctively thought it was December as it felt vaguely Christmassy due to the Winter Wonderland next door. How did that course compare to the other iterations? Very busy around my pace. Hope to make it again this year. My annual course kindly puts itself on the last Friday of November each year. Excellent running, spectating, drinking combo. I’ve got lots to learn from this thread. 
    SG, I’m impressed with the pace of your trail exploration runs. The brown pee chat took me back to the first time I went big on beetroot before a race. 
    Standard buggy loop to start the recovery week. Wanting to be hi viz with the lad up front gives me a good excuse to wear the world’s brightest pink t shirt courtesy of the Forest of Dean half. 7.3M at 8:35 pace - recovery. Will consciously avoid any doubles, keep the session short (and ideas for a sharpener?) and replace the long run with Sunday’s race. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SQ - today's wasn't too bad, as there were a couple of smooth trails across fields, and even the woody bit was firmly packed and fairly flat or down at the top path I was on.

I did have a cola, so maybe this one was less the dark brown / dangerous red of previous damage, and maybe simply a colouring, especially as it quickly wore off, rather than taking 5mins of intense water gulping :D 

Having run once with a buggy wielding pal, and had a tiny go, it certainly isn't quick fare, so fair play doing lots of your running that way!

A sharpener of just 3x1mile or something might be decent. I'd do that pre a HM race. Or 5x1km or something.

Off to the same venue as last week's tempo tomorrow. Did 3 laps and finished down the river for a 6 miler last week. 
    Will decide tomorrow if I do the same, add some fast bits, end fast, or even split more into 2 or 3 or something.
  • SQ - Hoping that a miracle might occur and we can race there this year. The usual course is a bit faster than the winter course for me. Did you avoid the pile up at the first corner?

SG - Yes breezy at Gravesend, but a good day out - Herne Hill and Kent ran back into town on mass after and had a few pints in town too. Bedford was just soul destroying!

Nothing today apart from the double. 8 this morning, 4 this evening.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Gravesend was a great day for me, as not only was it my first event with the Dashers, but one side of my family originate from there.
    An aunt lived 1 mile from the venue, so went over there first and after.

Probably a bit too obscure a venue versus MK though.
  • Sunday run took me past Chequers. As I was running down from the ridge, an old guy in a regular shirt and shorts was running up with a small dog on a long lead. As he got closer, I recognised him as Boris Johnson.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sunday run took me past Chequers. As I was running down from the ridge, an old guy in a regular shirt and shorts was running up with a small dog on a long lead. As he got closer, I recognised him as Boris Johnson.
    Strava indicates I crossed your path a few hours later on the bike.

'The Johnson'  https://www.yourdictionary.com/johnson  was home by then I imagine.

🙂

• RicF said:
    Sunday run took me past Chequers. As I was running down from the ridge, an old guy in a regular shirt and shorts was running up with a small dog on a long lead. As he got closer, I recognised him as Boris Johnson.

Yes. My routes around that area do cross a lot of the hills popular with local cyclists such as Whiteleaf etc. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

I did have a cola, so maybe this one was less the dark brown / dangerous red of previous damage, and maybe simply a colouring, especially as it quickly wore off, rather than taking 5mins of intense water gulping :D 

Calling it cola sounds quite quaint somehow, was it unbranded happy shopper cola from the 80s?

Two and a half hours on the MTB this morning. Leg feels niggly but it might be one of those where you're better off just running though it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Stevie G said:

Calling it cola sounds quite quaint somehow, was it unbranded happy shopper cola from the 80s?

Two and a half hours on the MTB this morning. Leg feels niggly but it might be one of those where you're better off just running though it.
    Was trying to avoid any gags at a reference to having some "coke" :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hurley today then, fancied switching up last week's 6miles continuous at 6.10 pace sesh with some step ups in pace, off 2min recoveries.

Ended up with 4miles at 6.12, 1.5miles 5.57, and 0.5miles 5.35

Wind again was decently heavy down one road, so changed direction at the start of the 1.5mile rep.
    Bearing in mind the first mile came out 5.47, and the effort didn't lower, to come out 5.57 says it all about the wind on the way back! The GPS trace on the map looks particularly mad for this one, as the pace seems to drop off a cliff at certain bits on the route - must be the tree covering.

Needless to say I chose the still direction for the half mile - felt pretty comfy for that one.
    Nice.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work SG, touched the outskirts of Hurley myself on the bike this morning. Also went through a horsey place around Upper Culham where there was a sign saying "Anyone attacking the sheep will be prosecuted!", presumably there's a Welsh contingent about. Funnily enough attacking sheep had not occurred to me until I read the sign.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Reg Wand said:
    Nice work SG, touched the outskirts of Hurley myself on the bike this morning. Also went through a horsey place around Upper Culham where there was a sign saying "Anyone attacking the sheep will be prosecuted!", presumably there's a Welsh contingent about. Funnily enough attacking sheep had not occurred to me until I read the sign.
    That's a pretty amazing thing to have to put on a sign!

I'm always put off enough by "don't feed", or "don't touch" the horses.
    But don't attack!! Just  :|

In a similar(ish) vein of not realising possibilities until a sign pointed it out, last week I was running down a woody footpath, and there was a little alcove with a sign saying "please don't use this as your toilet"

I ran off thinking, wow, that would make a superb little nip in toilet!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    RicF said:

Yes. My routes around that area do cross a lot of the hills popular with local cyclists such as Whiteleaf etc. 
    I've been up Whiteleaf Hill just the once so far, more to have a look at than anything else. When I get rid of the extra 6kg I've put on in the past three months, I'll apply myself properly to the job.

Here's a sign spotted in some public conveniences. 
    MUD.jpg

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice tempo SG

The worst signs ever are the ones in our home town SG that say "it is an offence to defecate in this area". I mean, what sort of town ha to tell people not to shit in the street?

And as a Roberts, I take offence at the sheep jokes reg. I do like a nice Herdy though  :D

I also went past Chequers on my bike. Didn't see any Johnsons...

I regularly see the guy I was avoiding when I go that blackthorn in my foot, and weirdly, nearly always there, as it was tonight.  Anyway, the incident has led to some bonding, to the point where I now speak to him more than my wife in all likelihood! Anyway, tonight he tried to SD me, but it was slightly awkward as I was turning onto the path he was on. In stepping out of the way, the poor guy tripped over and fell into a bush! I had to stifle a laugh - poos chap! Got to be some sort of weird Karma in that though, and we did both have a laugh about how dangerous social distancing is!

8.6M by the way. Couldn't be arsed to get up this morning so no regular Tuesday double.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The Bus said:

Anyway, tonight he tried to SD me, but it was slightly awkward as I was turning onto the path he was on. In stepping out of the way, the poor guy tripped over and fell into a bush! I had to stifle a laugh - poos chap! Got to be some sort of weird Karma in that though, and we did both have a laugh about how dangerous social distancing is!

Had to use urban dictionary to find out you meant "sugar daddy" me there!  :|
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The Bus said:
    Nice tempo SG

The worst signs ever are the ones in our home town SG that say "it is an offence to defecate in this area". I mean, what sort of town ha to tell people not to shit in the street?

To be fair before I went to Wycombe for the first time I assumed you did your business in the street as everyone kept telling me it was a shit hole. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Another 10. Marlow route again, but more leisurely than the steady tempos I'd done there a few weeks in a row a month or 2 back.

Funny weather. Very warm the first half, before being replaced by quite a wind but cool for the second half.

Only variation of route was instead of the long progressive up Winter Hill, there's a little narrow trail that takes you to the top much quicker and then is a gentle climb.
    Heck of a view from up there. We forget sometimes you don't have to travel 100s of miles for all that.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Super humid today. Felt a right old slog so i changed the plan of a steep hill and tour of a diffo area...for just some fairly flat stuff and a couple of dips into offroad bits.
     9 at 7.30 av

The key sign it was difficult conditions was hr going off the scale doing this 1km loop at steady pace to nick an old acquaintance's very humble seg....needed 45secs after to ease down.
    My fault probs for going off at 11am
    Must must must get up early tomorrow! And out early.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Talking London marathon off until October 2021 now!

That'll cause a heck of a lot of knock ons on the racing calendar.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It would if there WAS a racing calendar!!!

Anyway, only popping in quickly so you're not talking to yourself SG :wink:

Useful fare for me too this week, though slipped in an early morning 20 on the bike yesterday just cos I couldn't sleep! In other news, despite doing longer runs and (superficially) more exercise since lock-down, I'm putting on weight and getting a bit of a belly! Too much alcohol and not enough just general activity outside of running and cycling I guess....
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Blimey, Reg. What do the signs for bull fields say around your parts?
    I know the feeling, Bus. my wife would tell me off for saying it, but I’m feeling distinctly less trim than ideal. I find it is the food that is the deciding factor - huge amounts (or otherwise) of exercise don’t seem to sway things. 
    Agree with you SG on the value of a good view. Got to soak it up. 
    Just saw the London announcement SG alludes to. Elite only and  a virtual option is unsurprising. The virtual being a possible GFA/Champs qualifier is big though, as is postponing 2021 until October. Deciding if I can be truly up for a six week long run block in advance of this October. 
    Took my daughter to my parents in Wells for the night. So this gave the opportunity for a buggy free workout yesterday morning. Full motivation, however, was scuppered by far too much wine with my dad the night before. A fun and rare ramblechat so well worth it. 
    Got out in the morning for a second attempt at a ‘Moose Fartlek’: 5 x (3 mins steady/HMP, 1 jog, 1 hard/5k, 1 jog). My watch, poor at the best of times, couldn’t handle the tree coverage on the old Strawberry Line, so no idea on paces. But it certainly felt hard. A combination of it being a surprisingly tough session and dehydration. Made it through the session, before having to offer the bushes some emergency fertilisation during the cool down. Probably served me right they turned out to be nettles. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Back on 'The Diet' for me. 

Less face it, it feels far more comfortable casually grazing on Cashew Nuts, Chocolate and Cereal Energy bars along with the 'Higher Order' drinks, than not.

Instead it's avoid high refined sugar and fat and for now, slightly less drink. There are limits.

On other matters. Thinking about getting around to giving the thought of perhaps going for a run the chance of some consideration. Such is the fall out from a stress fracture. I see the lack of motivation from those unable to race quite clearly.

Up to a point, running for health is ok, but another aspect is needed for the reasons to give the effort a bit of a dig. Hence races.

Cycling isn't aimed at races in the same way, since casual participation doesn't exist outside of Strava Segments. If I join a cycling club I might have a go, but a FTP test shows how feeble an output I have. It's the level that Reg puts out on a recovery ride.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SQ - 

Interesting you call steady and HM the same thing. All about personal terminology isn't it. Steady for me is the zone above easy. HM is a minimum of 30secs a mile quicker. Smashing a bush at the end is a good sign you were at the full level of effort needed though :smile:

On races, while most races postponing is a fairly small deal in the scheme of things - you just refund or defer someone's entry, London brings so many problems. There's madness that you can defer to 2021,22 or 23, GFA might have to be re-qualified for, charity money issues - real saga. Presuming 2021 is back to normal, taking it out of the traditional post spring build up, and popping it amongst autumn stuff is a big change too...
    Oh well - control what we can control - which for me was getting up work day timing - 6am - first one in 5months.

Out and ready for 8, and 7 segs attempted, 4 achieved. One I knew I was struggling on, one inexplicably registered me miles slower than I ran, as the route isn't mess up able, and one I presumed was the seg - but it actually started way higher in the woods

Doh - i was booting mid 4s down the hill :D 

Moderate level of effort today - which was certainly plenty in the already boiling hot weather.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Ric - You'd be surprised how fast some guys can go on much lower power, especially when they're small like yourself. There was a chap on the P&D thread, Phil who's FTP was claimed about 50 watts less than mine and he's at least as quick as me maybe more so. 
  • You’re right, SG: steady and HMP aren’t the same for me. I guess I used steady as that is how it the Fartlek is described on Inside Running Podcast, and HMP as they is around the effort I put in. Steady for me is between easy and MP. I find MP very tough!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yes if you take MP as a calculation off your HMP like i do (perhaps 15secs slower) it's a pretty tidy workout!
    Others take it as a literal time off what they can or have run a marathon at. Which can be a chunk slower unless you're a very effective or experienced marathon runner.