Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SQ - I'm sure i've read somewhere that there aren't pacers, which makes sense.
    I might mail them and see if it's PO10. I have mailed F3 already to ask a similar question.

I'd be more thinking about it as a simple trot round job, rather than what for you sounds a proper decent lick. And it's all dependent on what else has happened, as October is still so far away!

Just glad the temps seem to be nicely easing down soon, and in fact Monday for a week, is 19-21 top temperature! Rather than being 20 at 7am!!
    You've done well to get a session off today, even early.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The quality is lower, but the effort is still there so I don’t mind having a crack at a session in the heat. Ignorance is the benefit of the village gps on an Apple Watch. 

Racing in the heat, however, does not go well for me! All my PBs, other than marathon, were set on single digit temperature days. What are perfect conditions for you?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The older you get, the more you can find an issue with all weathers :D 

But no, cool, or a bit cold is the superb one isn't it. That's why spring and autumn into winter should be ideal. The weather seems to get madder by the year (storms pre Wokey etc - heat later into the year), but generally still those areas.

For 5ks - heat isn't as big a worry - you can suck it up for those, but any further I find you can enter dodgy ground.

Only exception is something like Endure, where you're operating more at some sort of tempo effort, not all in, so can deal with a hot leg or 2. But it's essentially fine as it's across a 24hour stretch where it'll change dramatically.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Talking of weird weather, I was out putting our flood gate up and moving the car to high ground earlier during the most intense downpour I can remember! After maybe 15 minutes of rain, the water running off the road was threatening to over-top both our front and back door sills!  It made for an interesting run after as well, as long stretches of previously compacted clay had become supersaturated for the top couple of inches making the stickiest, slipperiest substance known to mankind!!  Still - avoided any lightning, whihc was the main aim!
  • Options
    Sorequads said:
    Phil - as with a few things, Fetcheveryone was ahead of Strava. The ‘Who Squares Wins’ is the ‘Local Legend’. 

I beg to differ. "Conquersize" is the forerunner to "Local legend" i.e. the person with the most visits to the square owns it. That is why I own most of the Chilterns (except the bits near Bus as he really does own a significant chunk of it and has to regularly chase youths off with a shotgun under his arm).

The Bus said:
    Talking of weird weather, I was out putting our flood gate up and moving the car to high ground earlier during the most intense downpour I can remember! After maybe 15 minutes of rain, the water running off the road was threatening to over-top both our front and back door sills!  It made for an interesting run after as well, as long stretches of previously compacted clay had become supersaturated for the top couple of inches making the stickiest, slipperiest substance known to mankind!!  Still - avoided any lightning, whihc was the main aim!
    This morning was also interesting. Any path on a slope was a raging torrent last night and so you end up with a deeply gouged bed down the middle with flotsam and jetsam (and I just googled that and it is spelt right but the meaning is wrong but I like to use it anyway) thrown up to the side: some places 6 to 8 inches deep.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    there are some seriously addictive games over on Fetch. I've had to leave most of them (due to addiction issues!) but CQ remains a lot of fun. The issue with segs addiction non Strava is that it's not very inclusive. 

I can't find a SQ on FE but then you wouldn't find me as Wool!

I ran way better in the lower temps this morning. Still steamy, still warm but without the sun it was all just that bit more manageable. Phew.
  • Options
    Wool said:

I can't find a SQ on FE but then you wouldn't find me as Wool!

You didn't look hard enough. It seems it is a small world so SQ ran round most of the Chester 2016 marathon with Lit (formerly of this parish). I am down 2:1 for head-to-heads on po10 so a London marathon each and SQ beat me at Wokey when I did a slow one in 2018. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Like Wool said, much more runnable today. Even 10-11ish.

Very humid but more sensible summer temps.

Did a variation on the Winter Hill route. Out to the bridge over the Thames then back down the other side. Had forgotten where it led to be honest so still ended up going up Winter Hill but did have a little wander through the woods and a few fields instead of the standard Quarry road.

9.5. Fairly comfy in the mid 7s.
    Bit better than yesterdays dribble through woods often mid 8 or lower and begging for the end!
  • Options
    Good stalking, PMJ. Chester was a great day. And Lit won a grand! Hope to race with you again one day soon. And perhaps even realise so!

Wool - I am josh_hand on Fetch. 
  • Options
    Wool said:
    there are some seriously addictive games over on Fetch. I've had to leave most of them (due to addiction issues!) but CQ remains a lot of fun. 
    Agree: I used to play a lot of Fetchpoint (have to run through markers for points) but it started to dominate so my runs were all planned to hit markers (which are concentrated close to your home marker) and I was running up and down random (and to be honest, somewhat unpleasant) roads in the middle of Hammersmith and Fulham and not getting out and about. 

Conquersize is manageable but it will be interesting as the effect of lockdown eases. You basically get 2 points if you run through a square. I am the leader in my home square but I don't always run from home so I am not invulnerable and I average about 20 points (10 runs) a month. There is another local player who runs from his office (close to my house) at lunchtimes so he can pick up 10 points (5 runs) in a week. Over lockdown, I upped my tally as I was always running from home and he stopped hitting my square (assume he was also running form home and home is elsewhere) but there may come a time when he challenges and am I mature enough to let him take the square? 
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    found you SQ, that's a more familiar name to me! Finding you meant that I also discovered that Jools is on Fetch too. Small virtual world I suppose.

Phil, I loved fetchpoint, loved it. Got exactly the same issue though. I'd have a session planned but needed to water flowers or something and I would get torn. I had to go cold turkey! On CQ, I think I'm more interested in overall squares visited although I have a little rule for myself that prevents me from driving somewhere to then run and pick up zones. That means I only run in places that I'm in for more legitimate reasons...
  • Options
    Wool, I see you are hanging onto the last rung of the CQ all-time leaderboard:

The real big leaders are all cyclists (mad buggers who cycle across the country and back in one day). 

I do regularly drive to the starting point of a run. I've not really worked out a rule but I live right up against the M40 so if I run from home I can run north and have 2 or 3 miles before I get clear of urban High Wycombe. South I hit countryside far quicker (about a mile) but the M40 has limited crossings so I'd end up running the same path several times a week. I'll drive maybe up to 10 miles but that is about 5 or 6 miles as the crow flies in many cases.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    oh PMJ - it's purely a personal challenge. There's no way that I can compete with the likes of Mrs Martin-Dye  :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Goodness knows what you chaps are on about, but i'll hold off calling it nonsense, as I expect i'll be doing it in a year or two :D 

10.5miler today, horribly humid, but got a decentish session in

3 main bits - couple of loops opposite directions fairly locally.

Out to an intriguing random grassy track in the middle of a housing estate for some reps, and an attempt to get my 0.8mile segment lowered, having seen a rival "target" it a few weeks ago :)

Took the 0.38mile loop sub 5, and the 0.57miler should have been mid to lower 5s, but one of those annoying ones I probably needed to run 2metres round a bend to record it!

Took a couple of miles to get to the track - and it's a weird little section in between sets of houses, that has a track round it, and a grassy loop in the middle - tiny, 0.20miles or so all in.

Had a couple of rampages round it, and it'snot flat - one side is like that cycle pursuit track event! Then realised maybe the seg is the outside of the grass on the tracks (though this pic surely shows it's inside?) .One loop the other direction to make sure.

5.13 to beat, should have got inside that on at least one go right?

Wrong.... I realise my colossal error now...i was so fixated that the rep starts from the bottom left that I was forgetting that it's only the bottom left if you come in with that on your left! Having come in the other side, it was the wrong end :open_mouth:

Oh well

7 efforts combined, that didn't feel quite enough, so I thought i'd have a crack at getting the 6.24 pace 0.8mile seg I owned already down.
    An interesting loop as it has a 50 feet climb in the first 1/3, then a steeper drop over a much shorter section.

Managed to take 5.10 to 4.40 for the loop, down from 6.24miling to 5.47. Decent lick, and should hold off a local rival I clocked "targeting" my seg...at 5.09 :D 

Managed to accidentally take another seg within that seg which was a nice surprise, so erm, romeo dunn til Sunday. 

Back to work very soon, and will have to get some sort of turnout on the grid very soon.
    Between those 2 things it should all feel a little bit more normal soon hopefully
  • Options
    SG: when targeting sessions I'd always try to ensure a rolling start about 100 metres before the anticipated start and ensure that I roll on for 100 metres or so after the end: way too much faff to target one and have Strava reject it or have the time taken when you jog out of it.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Usually a little before and after yes. Maybe not 100m if it's a 0.25miler!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tell that to the 0.06mile creators!

I clocked one in a park with about 45 feet climb someone had smashed 3.40 pace into.

That's power.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The "bad start and end points" one is a good point on that link.

Adding rest time into timings. That's one that caught me out today and a fair few times.

I wondered why i kept missing what looked a fairly straight forward one in the woods. I now realise at about 90% it jumps off the straight line footpath about two metres to the left and finishes down a parallel road!

So id finish and crouch slow walk across the actual finish as the clock raced on
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Tell that to the 0.06mile creators!
    Yes, idiots!

I used to run over Hammersmith Bridge regularly (it is now closed to all) and the segment is

https://www.strava.com/segments/3312263

0.13 miles and the record is 2 seconds by Rosie McCluskey as part of a 7.5 mile run at 9:30 pace. Her run was up and down one side of the river and a GPS blip in exactly the right place gave her the CR at 15s/mi.

Nothing to do with her at all and I don't pay for Strava so can't see outside the top 10 (all under 1minute per mile pace) but it clearly is an algorithmic fault that Strava should ban by ensuring segments are long enough to prevent such.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep you do see a few of those. And feel slightly sheepish flagging someone plodding a 7miler out at 9min miling. But you have to when they take a seg at silly pace.

But i do like some shorter thrash segs so i'm torn.

There's a Kingsmead park marathon! How many people will 1- ever do such madness and 2-ever do the exact same route!

That's the downside of some of these longer ones, maybe 3miles and up. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of segging is down to motivation too.

I clocked a family friend teenager who isn't especially a runner and racer like us lot doing something like a 130feet climb over 0.4mile sub 6!

That's "probably" something i could beat. At race effort. For just that stretch.

But motivation to do it solo in training? Even as seg smash?
    No chance!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Thought i'd vaguely work off the up to Beaconsfield through Penn to Hazlemere back down the hill route today.

But with a tour down a slightly further on road, and see where it went. Checked the map briefly, job done. I'd work it out...famous last words

Obviously totally burgled the route, and ended up at one point on the way to Amersham.
    Luckily some dog walker showed me to some top of field footpath and hop, skipped, tripped and waded through waist level crops to get through it.

Was glad to see a sign saying Wycombe 6 at that stage, as being 12miles In, I was getting a leeetle knacked.
    Kept telling myself that'll be Wycombe town centre, so will be less for me!

All manner of shenanighans through some random woods and trails trying to follow what seemed to be an ever changing direction to Wycombe (at some stages seemingly the exact way I'd just been), but the mileage was coming down, so all was good :D 

Was so glad to see the 1/2mile to Hazlemere sign, and once back there, delighted to have the 300 feet descent to jog out.

Back for a slightly mental 18.5miles just about sub 8 pace :lol:

Am sure there was a good half a mile more than that, as at one watch stop, I accidentally left it like that for ages.
    Plus another 15mins or outside of that off the clock, asking directions, leaping over and through stuff, opening gates, or standing forlornly in the middle of fields with miles of fields around :)

So erm, what about you lot!

(and before Phil Minestrone J-dog pipes up - no i'm still not going to programme stuff into this watch :) )
    When work is back I'll get back to the bread and butter, no messing, stout chap, sage road stuff :)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    You sound primed for the Dorney marathon after that effort, SG. Sign her up now! Longest run ever? I programmed a map into my watch today as I was unfamiliar with most of the route. But forgot to take my charger and it died after a few miles. 

A good week: 73M, a workout and a long run. I took the plunge and entered Dorney marathon. I saw the organiser talking on Facebook about some aspects - over a third of the field down for sub 3, and runners set off in order of predicted time. Those beyond 3h will go after a 50 minute gap - so we should be nicely into the second lap by then. 
    Stayed in Chichester last night, so headed out on a TR inspired route along the Saltern’s Way (thank you for the suggestion).
    Started off down the final mile of the old Chichester 10k route - used to love that finish. Then picked up the Saltern’s Way from the town centre. A lovely mix of quiet lanes, bike paths and hard packed paths around fields and marinas. Made a very pleasant change. 
    It was my first run since April over 16M, so going to 20 and including 3 x 20 mins steady was probably a bit much. Put the effort in, but didn’t get near MP. Tried hard not to dwell on it - these things come in time. A nice round 2h30 for 7:30 average. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It was a bit of a miserable slog mid to end in fairness! Longest since i went out for a 13 and did 19 about 15-18months ago :D  

A couple of 20s in there before, and once covering 26.2 on a club run on a boiling hot day. Plus Endure covering 30miles, albeit in 6 chunks.

But one thing they all have in common, is the utter slog, ruinous nature! I think you're either a very long distance type or you're not!

73 is a tidy week - sounds like Dorney will be a real bonus for the London virtual crew - a real lifesaver job. Will probably have the highest quality field for any longer race for a long time I expect.
  • Options
    I think you just need to enter a race that is a single lap half marathon, two lap marathon job. And then accidentally start the second lap 😆. 

Possibly decent standard at Dorney, but more GFA than champs I’d guess - most speedsters will be at Wrexham. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Having done a number of tempos at Dorney, and inevitably found 1 direction quite windy, I can only imagine the fun of all those stretches into wind.

Nice surface though, so pros and cons.

I'll probably look at the F3 (dare i say it) for one of their choice of 4 distances in a few weeks as a loosener. 
    They haven't responded to a message sent on Wednesday yet though... 
  • Options
    What is the Dorney surface?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Smooth tarmac job I believe. Could eat your dinner off it :)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Any long endurance effort will result in a ruinous slog if you neither eat nor drink anything of substance. 
    Just common sense.

I've known any number of runners with the innate ability to run long distances, but none could cope because they were petrified of eating and drinking, but especially drinking. 

They had convinced themselves after just one incident that they couldn't fuel or hydrate themselves without pissing themselves, shitting or throwing up all over the place.

Never occurred to them that the reasons may have been elsewhere. But since they never tried again, they'll never know.

🙂