Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

16.2 done in 1:55 average of 7:06. Was a bit too fast but the route picks up in pace as it progresses. The last mile was a bit of an effort as the hill in the penultimate mile had done me. Felt great like last week. Next week will keep the distance but need to focus on not letting the pace slip below 7:25.

Rob - I could be up for that, let me know how your legs are feeling.

Bus - that description of your shield made me chuckle old fella! 'Fun run' not something you want to see after you've just hammered 10k! But at least a trophy and like you say, you can keep this one?! Are you sure you're sure?image

DT2 welcome back mate, hope you're on the road to recovery.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, definitely sure this time, despite all the yellow vest in the mix!

Welcome back Dt2. I was wondering where you'd been. Hope you don't mind, but I invited everyone to use your loo for the cabbage Patch while you were awayimage

Looks like the illness hasn't harmed you legs much from that result, but bet you had a lovely coughing session afterwards!

Good pace for 16+ milese Steveie, especially if it felt great (I NEVER feel great after a long run!)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, you've gazumped me with a longer and faster run than me today. And ditto Bus's thoughts, the long runs are generally comfortable, but never great!

DT2 welcome back old son.

Bus, i was quite interested to see how you'd do against Marlow's Steve. Much debate about his 5k on the Rye the other day.... 17:31 awarded...but general feel from Phil's garmin reading, and Wool popping in was that it was short, perhaps 60-80metres...certainly hasn't been validated onto power of 10. (sub 20 is now the 5k benchmark on power of 10, rather than the ridiculous 16:45, talk about one extreme to the other!)

4th is never bad though, and another V40 to go in your stash! How far were you off Steve by the way? And was he 3rd or higher?

You definitely have the best "niggles in week" v "weekend race performance" on this thread I think.

Ric, there's a positive in every race. Some races might just be a dig in job, sometimes it's a course best, sometimes just faster than the last one...I don't need to tell you that kind of thing though, you've been around and know the score...

• Options
    Bus, only just realised that cabbage patch is the same day as Amsterdam mara this year.....gutted! If I come home to the toilet out of train spotting I'll know who to blame!image as for coughing.......no one who heard me would ever have mistaken me or an thats for sure!

SG, SS, great long runs boys, there seems to have been a full on role reversal here, I haven't gone over 12m in a training run since VLM!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Luckily we couldn't quite work out which was your house last year!

Presumably Steve from Marlow was the guy who beat me today. He was 3rd, behind James Repper. He was a fair way ahead of me by the end so can't quite say - maybe 30 secs. I'll be happy if my course fastest is faster though image

Quite pleased to learn that one of the guys I beat today did 2:49 at VLM this year, and another is a sub 17 5k guy...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep Bus, Steve is currently drilling down his pbs, so will be interesting to see where they settle. Hard to say because the 10ks he's done have been off road stuff, and the 5ks have been water logged, or suspected short....

A head to head will provide the answer image

Bus, sounds like you've had one of those pretty good races where you know you couldn't have finished any higher then perhaps. I think the best one of those I ever had was finishing 4th at Frieth, with EOG, Frankie, and a 35min 10k man being ahead of me, when i was a 37man.

A surreal day where i remember thinking i was going up a hill s so slowly that i surely can't have anyone behind me running slower....and was utterly wiped out after the last hill... goodness knows what 5th through 275th felt like after!

ps just had a word with the big man Steve himself, he said he's a bit raced out after the 5k tue, raf race wed, and today's penn 7. He reckons the 5k tue was 80m short. Fair play for saying that...i'd be in denial image

He did a 17.56 track 5k on the wed, and a 4:40 1500

Wonder how much faster that 17.56 could have been without tuesday's race..

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Difficult to say,. He may be raced out now, but sometimes those groups of races togther can actually make you faster. I've had bursts like that. The last time I did Penn was one of those!  Not alwyas though, that's for sure and you can't keep it up for long though before risking injury...

Results are out now, and he was 35secs in front but 2 secs outside my course pb so that's OK image 

I probably could have taken a few secs off today without the retching and with some company over the last couple of miles, but I certainly wouldn't have managed to get back to Steve. If anything, the gap got bigger as the race went on.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh, first guy was St Alban's Striders not Leighton Buzzard - almost the same!

First lady was a WPH Philip - Lucy Rogers.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quite tasty looking, but if she's from Phil's club must be about 10years younger than me..meaning i could use that horrendous line oldies used to use "if i were 10years younger..."

We'll see how the races go Bus...and see if he develops into a rival for you or me..or hopefully stays in the middle image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Or 30 yearsimage

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah, she is a bit of a looker in real life too...

It is getting worrying though. Although old enough to go to Uni, she's still young enough to be my daughter!

• Options

SG, Friday's MP bit for me was 0.92 miles in 5:47 which is 6:15 pace.

Good race at Penn there bus, we will get Steve one day between us, nice to have a new face to chase for a while. Lucy Rogers is 2 years older than my eldest so is 22. Did Black Park as well yesterday so racing a lot.

Pippa was on TV today, came 5th on the 3000 chase at the UK trails and she is a year younger than my eldest.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

mine must have been way too fast then, as mine came out 6.14...oh well!

22 you say Phil? Using the classic half your age + 7 rule, that makes 22 an acceptable age for me to deal with image

I best make a move before i get to 31 next month image

• Options
    DT2 wrote (see)
    PMJ, I hadn’t even realised the July last Fri race had changed dates, ive still got the 29th booked off! doh! Battersea Park 10k on 7th July is my next target, its sure to be a fast outing, can’t recall who else was thinking of rocking up from the thread?

DT2, June it is the 29th but July 20th and August 24th.

Daughter #2 is 18 on July 6th (so out of SG's range image) so the couple of weeks round there are taken out with birthday parties for friends, family and whatever else she can dream up so only midweek racing in early July: she finished exams last Thursday and seems to have planned about a month of solid celebrations.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't know Phil...I am incredibly immature for my age image

30mins extra time in the big game...not confident!

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

The fact I 'gazumped' you only means I ran it too quickly. No discipline! But I knew I have a massage tomorrow to ease any aches! image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to use the word gazumped to be honest Stevie. This thread could do with a bit more linguistic flavour.

England...well..the usual really. When Italy missed I had a horrible flashback to Mark Lawrenson once saying that the team that misses first in the pens always wins.

Proved right yet again!

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

gazumped is a decent touch!

I don't know what was worse losing on pens again or Lawrenson's inept co-commentary. How he keeps saying 'we' yet played 50 times for Ireland.

P.S -  Where was that guy from the Mars bar advert to save the pens??!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lawrenson is ok. It's better than Andy Townsend, who says "x" needs to "AFFECT" "y", all game. Someone needs to affect him!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good running Bus.  You've had a fair few races in quick succession, so maybe it's not too surprising if you're a little off your own best.  7 miles is an odd distance, must be quite hard to pace properly.  But you've got a fair old collection of V40 trophies coming on there.

Dean - good to hear that the achilles issues may be sorting themselves out.

18 miler at the weekend for me, felt a bit tougher than usual, probably due to the heavy training week.

DT2, nice to have you back.  I notice you had a crack at the Queen Mother Reservoir 5k, how was that?  I do need to get a 5k in the diary at some point, and, as others have said, there's a real dearth of quick ones around here.  PMJ did kindly suggest a guest spot at one of the TVARC ones, but none of the dates really work brilliantly. So I'd definitely be interested if anyone is considering a road trip to one of the London series.  I am keeping August free for marathon training, but a 5k can't hurt, can it?

Lawro did say something that made me laugh a lot last night - but I have completely forgotten what it was.  My main thoughts after the game were that, when my kids grow up, I hope they realise how lucky they are being half-German, and able to simply switch their allegiances.

SG - sorry, at 31 you've crossed into dirty old man territory, where discussing young women on the internet is frowned upon.

Just discovered a hidden shower in my building to use after running in.  It is not lockable, and is in a unisex toilet, so it adds a frisson of danger and excitement to my morning routine.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs.

I did the QMR series a couple of years ago (now that was a trophy fest before anyone quick cottoned on to it!). It''s absolutely flat, but the surface is not ideal, being mainly compacted gravel and short grass other than the last couple of 100 yards on tarmac. Still fast though, and some people don't seem to be slowed by the surface at all. 

It is ona service track around a bunded reservoir which stands about 50 feet proud of a very flat plain so is very susceptible to the wind.  The 5k is one complete lap of the reservoir (guess how many the 10k is!) and some people find it dispiriting being able to see the entire course, though I quite liked it. You do get lovely views of the sunset behind Windsor castle, and the facilities at the yacht club are great for a post race shower/pint/meal!

Anyone in particular you are wanting to suprise you in your secret shower?!

Oh, and on the plus side with the football, at least I can stop pretending again!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, don't joke..there's plenty of bellriggs here who suddenly become all interested and chatty about footy around tournaments!

Although we all love a good run, could you imagine watching running races each week? Would bore you senseless, which is why football will always be the nation's favourite!

4mile at lunch, bizarre muscular ache in the right quad, that eased as i ran. WIll try the 6 tonight, and then decide whether the hard session is doable tomorrow, or whether i'm wiser pushing every day back 1 this week and havign a rest day.

ps Phil/Bus, i have a 6m MP to tempo, a 9mile easy and an 8x800m at 10k pace this week if either fancy joining for one... tue, wed and fri at the mo..but subject to change...

• Options

Dachs, the 5ks there do seem to be sparsely attended, I guess you have seen the results but for a guy like you it will be a solo time trial, only 2 and 3 sub 18 in the last two outings.

SG, days don't line up this week. I wouldn't mind 9 easy on Friday but I race tomorrow so easy Wednesday lunchtime, then medium long Thursday and Didcot 5 miler on Sunday.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG. The 8 x 800m would suit me, but timings are all a bit iffy at the mo. My wife is having a minor op tomorrow, so I need to be around afterwards and don't know how its all going to stack up yet. I'm doing a double today, to try and get ahead, then my guess is a run tomorrow morning/lunch while she is in, but then unsure. Long run this week is likely to be saturday. Are you doing them evenings?

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Dachs - I'm 'only' 29, does that mean I'm not into the dirty old man territory yet? image

Sports massage today on my calfs... ouch! Swapped my rest day around to let it sort it's self out.

<span>Rob/Dean, there's meet been arranged at <span>Trafford coined 'National BMC Gold Standard Meeting' basically it's last chance saloon for the Olympic hopefuls to get an 'A' standard. I think I'm going to do the 3k and stick around to watch the BMC races. Should be a good night.

• Options

Stevie See - When is it this week?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, yep a 2 race week isn't the best time for a big training session. another week old son.

Bus, came through a 4 and a 6 today, the 6 started a little limpy but once warm was fine. Am 50/50 about whether i need to rest a day tomorrow, as the quality session is quite tasty. Will see how i wake up tomorrow, if It's feeling a little off, i'll push tue and wed;s sessions back a day each.

the 8x800 session should stick to friday, evening really, so we'll play it by ear and see if you can make that.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

There's a normal 'throws and distance' meeting this week and a BMC next Tuesday instead of the usual 'sprints and jumps.' I'll prob' go watch even if I don't compete.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Stevie See - you've got until your 30th birthday, then I'm afraid it's dirty old man territory.  So pack as much into that time as you can!

Tried a 10k progression run last night.  After warm up, it was 3:57, 3:54, 3:49, 3:41, 3:38, 3:34, 3:33 - at which point, I felt like I was pushing myself much harder than I would have liked given I have 2 races next week, and didn't feel great, so had a rest k, before 3:34 and 3:26 to finish (total, including rest = 37:49).  Don't like not completing these things properly, but never mind.  Think I may have eaten too much cheese before starting.  I love cheese.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, that time would come out pretty decent for 10k in training even if you hadn't sauntered for a 1km.

Less jip walking up and down stairs today so the muscular ache is wearing off a bit. therefore, i'll try my 6m MP through to tempo sesh. Should be quite good, as it gives a bit of license pace wise throughout to the end. Think I'll aim for a good 4miles minimum at MP though, and see what happens near the end.

Should get it done at lunch.